Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 30/5/2012 4:20:41 PM   
Dirk Miggler

In my experience most people who do buy and watch pirate copies are people who rarely went to the cinema anyway. Music is a different ball game.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 61
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 15/1/2013 10:25:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

Genuinely curious to know the reasons behind people downloading Django, Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln and Cloud Atlas. And further to that, will you still plan to see them in the cinema?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 62
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 15/1/2013 10:47:22 PM   
jcthefirst

A facebook freind posted this three weeks ago:

"Cloud Atlas was absolutely incredible. Probably my favourite film of the year. Bravo to the Wachowski siblings for yet again making another phenomenal piece of cinema that will no doubt end up a huge box office flop. So sad."

I replied, somewhat saracastically, "Is it out in the cinema already?"

There is no chance he will go and see it in the cinema, and yet takes the moral high ground. It's the ridiculous justification these people use that annoys me the most.

Oh, and he replied with "Fuck off."

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 63
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 9:39:10 AM   
Dannybohy

Cinema ticket prices are way to high! its all well and good if your just paying for yourself but when you want to take a family to see the latest blockbuster you are talking 40 plus inc a box of stale popcorn!!. The brutal truth is that at those prices many people will just wait for dvd release or if offered a dvd quality pirate , will buy it. DVDs when first released are still way to overpriced, but usually you can pick them up a while later for decent priced online.

I buy only my absolute favorite movies on DVD theses day, gone are the days I feel the need to buy everything (became a Father, other priorities and infants and precious DVD collections do not mix) I buy the movies I know I will watch once a year at least. (LoTR, Godfather, Bladerunner, Xmas movies etc) I didnt buy into Bluray simply because there will be something else come along and I think its obvious that stored media is the future and indeed most of my movies are being ripped to a hard-drive going through home entertainment system. Cannot really see the point in buying physical products any more, I hate having all the DVDs taking up room in my front room and cant wait to rip them all and put into smaller hide away storage.

I only go to the cinema to see movies that I know I will regret not seeing on the big screen like Avengers.But like I said it can be 50 to take my family to the movies!! its cheaper to invest in the latest large plasma and wait for a movie to come on Netflix/Lovefilm/Sky.

Have I bought pirate movies, yeh, used to get a lot when I was student, perfect DVDcopy (not some Cinema camjob) 2! Cinema 5 plus pounds, real DVD 15.99!! geniune poor student at the time! forget about it, ill take the 2 version. I haven't bought a pirate product in a good 10 years, I get offered them for nothings quite a lot from friends. The knock off nigels dont seem to exsist any more!. everyone is just downloading everything for free instead, putting pirates out of business!! lol, brutal. I got offered a loan of Lincoln recently ! not even released and this is a DVD quality! I declined to take it home but did end up watching it at his house! looked pretty stunning on his plasma! how do these DVD quality version get out !!?!. Apparently this time of year is ripe for the latest Oscar hopefuls t available in DVD high quality! they handed out willy nilly to journalists I guess!. so they must lose revenue this time of year.

Is piracy killing the film industry? I doubt it. Inflated cinema prices and DVD prices, regional release dates and steady stream of shit movies, remake and reboot will kill it first.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 16/1/2013 9:43:43 AM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 64
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 9:45:35 AM   
Rgirvan44

And not wanting to pay cinema prices is fine. So why not wait until a film hits home video/gets discounted after a few months?

This is what I am curious about - the need to see things now. I can't afford an Nexus 7 this month. I want one, but it is too pricey. Should I just go in a take one? No, because that wouldn't be right. But for some reason when it comes to entertainment it is alright.

Django is not going to be on twenty screens in the country. It is a big release. And it is only a three week gap between UK/US.

Not having a go at anyone - I genuinely am curious to know why you would take it from the internet.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 65
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 10:21:02 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

And not wanting to pay cinema prices is fine. So why not wait until a film hits home video/gets discounted after a few months?

This is what I am curious about - the need to see things now. I can't afford an Nexus 7 this month. I want one, but it is too pricey. Should I just go in a take one? No, because that wouldn't be right. But for some reason when it comes to entertainment it is alright.

Django is not going to be on twenty screens in the country. It is a big release. And it is only a three week gap between UK/US.

Not having a go at anyone - I genuinely am curious to know why you would take it from the internet.

Its not always just about not wanting to pay cinema prices, some people genuinely cant afford it or rather justify it. For me its the later, like I said! pay around 50 for a cinema trip! or use that money on something else 'sensible' and wait for dvd release. Ive gone to the cinema without my kids and feel guilty as hell!. My sister has 5 kids she simply cant afford the cinema full stop. My point is , lower the cinema prices, it will help and more people will go to the cinema! simple.
One other underrated aspect regarding cinema going and cost is the price of snacks!! they are simply outrageous! beyond greed!. I don't mind paying my way , but 7 for a box of POPPED CORN!!!! 4.50 for a Coke!!. Its literally gone beyond a joke.

Regarding downloading of movies!! its getting better for the people who download rather than buy I guess! and almost impossible to police.
Netflix/lovefilm/Blink etc must surely be countering this trend!. The monthly price is really good, I have Lovefilm and Netflix streaming at the moment, but I cant get the latest releases streaming. If just one of these companies could just put new releases up, that would all but kill piracy?? or at least give it a good kick in the balls!!. I would happily pay double my Netflix subscription if I could watch constant new releases even if I had to wait a month or two longer for them to be available!>

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 66
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 11:41:32 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Its not always just about not wanting to pay cinema prices, some people genuinely cant afford it or rather justify it. For me its the later, like I said! pay around 50 for a cinema trip! or use that money on something else 'sensible' and wait for dvd release. Ive gone to the cinema without my kids and feel guilty as hell!. My sister has 5 kids she simply cant afford the cinema full stop. My point is , lower the cinema prices, it will help and more people will go to the cinema! simple.
One other underrated aspect regarding cinema going and cost is the price of snacks!! they are simply outrageous! beyond greed!. I don't mind paying my way , but 7 for a box of POPPED CORN!!!! 4.50 for a Coke!!. Its literally gone beyond a joke.

What is it that makes you decide to pay for certain releases, over others? I mean, you shelled out for Les Mis (according to the Les Mis thread), and walked out!

I've never bought the "too expensive" argument myself. I can't afford a lot of things that I would like, but taking them without recompense for the person who's made it just isn't something that I'd even consider. Further attempts to justify an action by citing high prices for peripheral expenses just serves to muddy the debate.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 67
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 11:43:48 AM   
matty_b

I don't buy the expensive food argument at all. No-one forces you to buy any of that and, from my experience, you can just take your own and cinema staff turn a blind eye.

Certainly from when I worked at a cinema, I didn't care if someone brought their own snacks and I didn't get paid anywhere near enough to try and stop them.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 68
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 11:48:17 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I don't buy the expensive food argument at all. No-one forces you to buy any of that and, from my experience, you can just take your own and cinema staff turn a blind eye.

Certainly from when I worked at a cinema, I didn't care if someone brought their own snacks and I didn't get paid anywhere near enough to try and stop them.

As I say, its a cheap supplementary debate that folk turn to in an attempt to justify their actions/confuse the real debate. I saw around 250 films theatrically last year, the majority at public screenings, and the topic of non-cinema bought food never once came up in the real world. I've never seen anyone tackled over it.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 69
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 11:56:31 AM   
MonsterCat

It's true that going to the cinema (even outside of London) is pretty god-damned expensive, but the expense is still not a good excuse for downloading or streaming the latest cinema release.

You want to see Django Unchained, Zero Dark Thirty or Barnyard Lovin' Vol 25: Barely Legal Hos VS Horses? Wait about three to four months when they hit DVD/Blu-ray and rent them out on Lovefilm or whatever.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 70
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 11:56:37 AM   
FoximusPrime

There isn't a morally acceptable through line from 'not being able to afford to watch a film in the cinema' to 'obtaining an illegal copy'. As others have pointed out - wanting something doesn't give anyone the right to take it.

There's a perfectly acceptable alternative: patience.

But there is clearly an element of wanting immediate gratification at the expense of right and wrong in watching pirated films (and in other activities seen everyday such as using phones in cinemas, cutting queues, illegal parking, etc.). I wonder how much of it is down to having everything at our fingertips: not just in terms of actually being able to download these copied films but in terms of the psychology behind it - we can bring up any information on our mobile or legally watch an entire series on demand which, while not necessarily a bad thing, may remove certain barriers to other, less desirable behaviours.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

Post #: 71
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 12:00:27 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

What is it that makes you decide to pay for certain releases, over others? I mean, you shelled out for Les Mis (according to the Les Mis thread), and walked out!

I've never bought the "too expensive" argument myself. I can't afford a lot of things that I would like, but taking them without recompense for the person who's made it just isn't something that I'd even consider. Further attempts to justify an action by citing high prices for peripheral expenses just serves to muddy the debate.

That was purely because my wife wanted to see it! her friend was supposed to be going with her original. She talked me into going,bought tickets, then her friend decided last minute she could go and bought her own ticket instead of checking, she could of had mine for Christ sake!.
Generally I will pay to see movies on the cinema that really I feel need to be seen on the big screen! how I decide is just my personal choice!. Avengers -big screen , something like Lincoln! - small screen.

Post #: 72
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 12:14:27 PM   
Dannybohy

You ever tried smuggling in popcorn, snacks , drinks for 4 people!. and actually our local multiplex is a a total twat about taking your own food.! I swear they would strip search you if they could.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 73
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 12:38:22 PM   
great_badir

quote:

You ever tried smuggling in popcorn, snacks , drinks for 4 people!. and actually our local multiplex is a a total twat about taking your own food.! I swear they would strip search you if they could.

Yep - same as most of the cinemas here in Bristol and Bath. If they see you taking something "FROM OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in, they confiscate it. I've even heard of a few incidences of the two Vue cinemas in Bristol doing basic bag and coat searches during busy periods for big releases.

Whilst, in Glasgow, the opposite is true - none of the cinemas care, and everyone who takes in food and drink does it without hiding it. My mate who lives up there tells me it's because the patrons wouldn't stand for it.

As for the whole piracy thing - I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some dodgily downloaded films (which, I'm sure, is probably the case with a lot of people), however I stopped a few years ago, mainly cos of how illegal downloads were damaging the music industry. Yeah, going to the cinema is a fucking rip-off now, even with offers, and with so much shit coming out it just doesn't stack up financially for me. So invariably I wait for a TV showing or, if it's something I really want to see, rent or buy the DVD/blu ray, or watch it online (legally). Otherwise, I probs go to the cinema two or three times a year tops, and that's it.

In the long run, I think ticket prices and the subsequent dwindling audiences will do far more harm to the industry as a whole than piracy ever will. It's a point I've made on several occasions on the forums, and I'll make it again - if nothing is done to address the ridiculous price hikes, then we will return to the late 80s and early 90s when a similar thing happened and everyone stopped going to the cinema (this was one of the main reasons for the multiplexes coming along in the UK shortly after - more and bigger screens with more showings meant they could charge less and get more people through the doors). I remember scoffing not so many years ago when a mate who lived in London told me the cost of seeing a film in Leicester Square was 10.80. Here we are in 2013, and only a price increase or two away from hitting that price elsewhere. And if you go as a family...well, kiss your month's disposable income goodbye.

...veering slightly off piracy, there...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 74
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:18:17 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Yep - same as most of the cinemas here in Bristol and Bath. If they see you taking something "FROM OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in, they confiscate it. I've even heard of a few incidences of the two Vue cinemas in Bristol doing basic bag and coat searches during busy periods for big releases.

Whilst, in Glasgow, the opposite is true - none of the cinemas care, and everyone who takes in food and drink does it without hiding it. My mate who lives up there tells me it's because the patrons wouldn't stand for it.

I've genuinely never seen anyone take action on bringing food in, and I regularly visit (and work for) a wide number of cinemas across all companies and independents, across the country. I've never even thought it a case of "smuggling" either to be honest, it's not as complex as that.

In my experience the only bag searches I've ever seen have been to do with recording devices.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 75
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:20:08 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

As for the whole piracy thing - I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some dodgily downloaded films (which, I'm sure, is probably the case with a lot of people), however I stopped a few years ago, mainly cos of how illegal downloads were damaging the music industry. Yeah, going to the cinema is a fucking rip-off now, even with offers, and with so much shit coming out it just doesn't stack up financially for me. So invariably I wait for a TV showing or, if it's something I really want to see, rent or buy the DVD/blu ray, or watch it online (legally). Otherwise, I probs go to the cinema two or three times a year tops, and that's it.

In the long run, I think ticket prices and the subsequent dwindling audiences will do far more harm to the industry as a whole than piracy ever will. It's a point I've made on several occasions on the forums, and I'll make it again - if nothing is done to address the ridiculous price hikes, then we will return to the late 80s and early 90s when a similar thing happened and everyone stopped going to the cinema (this was one of the main reasons for the multiplexes coming along in the UK shortly after - more and bigger screens with more showings meant they could charge less and get more people through the doors). I remember scoffing not so many years ago when a mate who lived in London told me the cost of seeing a film in Leicester Square was 10.80. Here we are in 2013, and only a price increase or two away from hitting that price elsewhere. And if you go as a family...well, kiss your month's disposable income goodbye.

...veering slightly off piracy, there...

yep, its all Vue cinemas near me!. Except for the Cineworld over in Bradford, but its a good drive and I avoid Bradford at all costs. If its just me, I can smuggle in a can and some M&Ms , always have this fear of everything falling out of my pockets! its would be like Monsters Inc when that monster comes through the door with a human sock on his back!!.

Like i said I used to by them from local PC fairs, haven't done for a many many years. I have only downloaded tv series , most of them are on Lovefilm now. Piracy is wrong and while there are accuses (some better than others) there is no justification, its stealing.
Odd thing is! back when i used to buy a lot of pirate DVDs, when I was working, single and plenty of disposable income, i was also going the cinema twice a week and buying stacks of original DVDs. When i was at Uni I would nip out to the cinema on a long Lunch break!!. Go figure.

Disregarding all the elements and reasons people do buy and view pirate material is kind of ignorant whether you agree with them or not, and it isnt going to solve anything. My choice to not buy pirate material anymore is based more onbeing older having more patience than I used to! I don't feel the need to do something because all my friends are! and I don't hang out with friends like I used to. Also there is so much more for me to watch legally I am more inclined to just wait if I miss something on the cinema. Another thing that's interesting (just thought about it), I stopped buying pirates when I moved away from my home town (North west)!! the town I moved to (small town in West Yorkshire) and the people I met all very much frowned upon it!. Could that be put down to a poor area opposed to an affluent area?. just another element in a very murky debate....

I stand by case. If you want to tackle the problem, increase availability and reduce costs. Unfortunately In the UK its all a sign of the times, current Goverment! and a separate debate I guess. Maybe only the Elite will be able to enjoy the cinema ! Anyone noticed how VIP seats have started creeping back into the cinemas?!. This country is going backward the wrong way.

Anyone see the Simon Reeve travel documentary on Cuba a few weeks back?. Bring in communism and free Cinema tickets for all!!!. ;)

Post #: 76
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:23:00 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Avengers -big screen , something like Lincoln! - small screen.

Ironically enough The Avengers was, somewhat controversially, shot in an aspect ratio befitting of the small screen (1.78:1) as opposed to Lincoln, which is full 'scope.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 77
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:23:16 PM   
Cool Breeze

Those who illegally download movies off the internet or buy pirate copies on the street are no better than petty thiefs who who walk into a shop, grab an item for sale, stick it under their coat and pay without leaving.

Just my opinion thats all.If you want to watch a movie, pay for it.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 78
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:24:33 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I've genuinely never seen anyone take action on bringing food in, and I regularly visit (and work for) a wide number of cinemas across all companies and independents, across the country. I've never even thought it a case of "smuggling" either to be honest, it's not as complex as that.

In my experience the only bag searches I've ever seen have been to do with recording devices.

I've had the following confiscated over the years when I didn't bother hiding them - a large bottle of water, a pack of sarnies, bottle of Dr Pepper (that one REALLY annoyed me, cos I love Dr Pepper and you can't get it in any cinema down here) and an orange. A fucking orange.

Also, when I worked for Showcase in the mid 90s (I was a popcorn monkey), I know for a fact door staff and ushers were encouraged, nay trained to keep an eye out for people taking in food and drink that wasn't purchased in the cinema.

I can't confirm or deny the bag searches, as I've never seen or experienced it myself (as I said, I only go two or three times a year now), this is only what friends have told me, independently of each other.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 79
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:28:44 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

yep, its all Vue cinemas near me!. Except for the Cineworld over in Bradford, but its a good drive and I avoid Bradford at all costs. If its just me, I can smuggle in a can and some M&Ms , always have this fear of everything falling out of my pockets! its would be like Monsters Inc when that monster comes through the door with a human sock on his back!!.

Which Vue's are we talking about here? The Leeds ones? I'm from the same area actually, and I've taken my own snacks in to both the Leeds city centre Vue (formerly Ster) and the Kirkstall Road one unchallenged since they both opened.

Also, it's not the only option in the area. You've got the aforementioned Cineworld in Bradford, the Showcase in Birstall, the Leeds/Bradford Odeon, the Pictureville at the media museum (one of the finest cinemas in the world, and essentially a charity to boot: support it), the Cottage Road and the world-famous Hyde Park Picturehouse! All of which I've spent countless hours in and never once have I been challenged about snacks!

Note how the snack debate is overshadowing the piracy one.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 80
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:31:33 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Ironically enough The Avengers was, somewhat controversially, shot in an aspect ratio befitting of the small screen (1.78:1) as opposed to Lincoln, which is full 'scope.

I love Irony. ;) Im pretty Hulk smashing a 50 ft space fish into the ground is more impressive on the big screen! . Lincoln was suited to the small screen! very few locations or wide shots, all very much dark, in-doors and dialogue.

Post #: 81
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:32:27 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

Those who illegally download movies off the internet or buy pirate copies on the street are no better than petty thiefs who who walk into a shop, grab an item for sale, stick it under their coat and pay without leaving.

Your so awesome!

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 82
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:34:13 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I stand by case. If you want to tackle the problem, increase availability and reduce costs.

This is to presume that you live within driving distance of Bradford, but I've already pointed out that you have FIVE multiplexes within a 12 mile radius of the Cineworld in Bradford, and three independent cinemas. Availability certainly isn't an issue for you, you're in one of the best served areas in the country!

As for cost, Cineworld famously offers the unlimited card at 15 a month, which essentially makes the price of tickets cheaper than they've ever been. The indies aren't expensive, although to be honest nor is the cinema when compared to other entertainment/days out.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 16/1/2013 1:35:02 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 83
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:34:34 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

I've had the following confiscated over the years when I didn't bother hiding them - a large bottle of water, a pack of sarnies, bottle of Dr Pepper (that one REALLY annoyed me, cos I love Dr Pepper and you can't get it in any cinema down here) and an orange. A fucking orange.

Also, when I worked for Showcase in the mid 90s (I was a popcorn monkey), I know for a fact door staff and ushers were encouraged, nay trained to keep an eye out for people taking in food and drink that wasn't purchased in the cinema.

I can't confirm or deny the bag searches, as I've never seen or experienced it myself (as I said, I only go two or three times a year now), this is only what friends have told me, independently of each other.

lmao!! a sandwich!!! brilliant!. Well you deserved to have that taken off you! It wasnt egg was it. My mum always said I could peel an orange in my pocket! il have to try taking one to the cinema next time!.

Post #: 84
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:35:48 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

I love Irony. ;) Im pretty Hulk smashing a 50 ft space fish into the ground is more impressive on the big screen! . Lincoln was suited to the small screen! very few locations or wide shots, all very much dark, in-doors and dialogue.

I haven't seen it yet, it doesn't open til next week.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 85
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:39:47 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Well you deserved to have that taken off you!

Why did I deserve to have that taken off me? It's far quieter than most of the stuff cinemas sell themselves. And far healthier.

No, it wasn't egg. Either chicken or ham salad, if memory serves.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 86
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:45:53 PM   
great_badir

quote:

As for cost, Cineworld famously offers the unlimited card at 15 a month, which essentially makes the price of tickets cheaper than they've ever been. The indies aren't expensive, although to be honest nor is the cinema when compared to other entertainment/days out.

The Cineworld unlimited card IS amazing value. But there's a catch - you need to have a Cineworld near you.

Unfortunately, round these parts, Odeon have the monopoly, with Vue second. We have one Cineworld in Bristol (not near enough to me to justify the travelling costs, unfortunately). The next nearest ones are Swindon or Gloucester.

Whilst our indies are, relatively, cheap (5-6 on average), the problem then is that you are limited to choice and 9 times out of 10 you're buggered if you want to see a big mainstream film.

There's no easy answer, except for the 'plexes to drastically reduce their prices, but then you get the argument about distributors and studios costs increasing all the time.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 87
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:48:17 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

I stand by case. If you want to tackle the problem, increase availability and reduce costs.

This is to presume that you live within driving distance of Bradford, but I've already pointed out that you have FIVE multiplexes within a 12 mile radius of the Cineworld in Bradford, and three independent cinemas. Availability certainly isn't an issue for you, you're in one of the best served areas in the country!

My viable choices are Bradford Cineworld and VUE Kirkstall. Bradford is pretty rank and I got sick of going into movies with the heads cuts off or out of focus!! and having to go and tell someone to sort it out!. I have been there with the kids recently and it has improved, still expensive. VUE Kirkstall have food Nazis! I do go there with my friend now and then. I'm not going to pay 15 a month to get slightly cheaper tickets, again this might be great for a single person who can get to go that much.

Yep there are a few indies nearby and god bless them they are great to just look at, lovely old style cinemas. Yes they also tend to be cheaper, including the snacks! but the screens and sound are just awful! I swear to god one of them i actually smaller than my Plasma!!. I would love it if they improved them, I would go a lot as apposed to never. That mostly me being snobby! my Mother and Father swear by Skipton Cinema, but they live nearer there too.

Post #: 88
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:49:51 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Well you deserved to have that taken off you!

Why did I deserve to have that taken off me? It's far quieter than most of the stuff cinemas sell themselves. And far healthier.

No, it wasn't egg. Either chicken or ham salad, if memory serves.

True , true!. Actually i would quite like to chow down on a subway!!

Post #: 89
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 1:55:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Remind me again how you watched QoS?

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2072233&mpage=14&key=

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI