Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

is piracy REALLY killing the film industry?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:00:12 PM   
maffew

Or rather I mean if piracy didn't exist, would box office taking be any different? I was just looking through the box office takings for the top 10 grossing films, and I realised films released now take just as much, if not more, as before piracy was particularly prevalent.. ET(1982) - $434,949,459, Avengers(2012) - $472,239,621 Star Wars(1977) - $460,935,665 The Dark Knight(2008) - $533,316,061 ... pretty similar ballbark figures right? Now I know people have been making pirate copies of films for years, but no one really said anything much about it back then, at least not in the way it's publicly discussed now..I mean record sales are absolutely going down, thats for sure - but I think the film industry is clearly thriving as much as it always has..

Thoughts?

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"
Post #: 1
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:11:07 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

is piracy REALLY killing the film industry?

No.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 2
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:19:51 PM   
maffew

Sweet. Case closed.

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 3
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:21:50 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

Or rather I mean if piracy didn't exist, would box office taking be any different? I was just looking through the box office takings for the top 10 grossing films, and I realised films released now take just as much, if not more, as before piracy was particularly prevalent.. ET(1982) - $434,949,459, Avengers(2012) - $472,239,621 Star Wars(1977) - $460,935,665 The Dark Knight(2008) - $533,316,061 ... pretty similar ballbark figures right?

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial's $434.9m is around a billion in today's money BTW.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 4
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:23:38 PM   
maffew

ah, i was looking on IMDB, i figured theywould account for inflation, no?

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 5
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:25:00 PM   
directorscut

Not really comparable without adjusting for ticket price inflation. When E.T. and Stars Wars came out the average price of a ticket was $2.50-$3.00. Adjusted E.T. and Star Wars both made over one billion in the US alone.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 6
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:26:17 PM   
Spaldron

Also...

quote:

Star Wars(1977) - $460,935,665 The Dark Knight(2008) - $533,316,061

Not sure if those figures are correct.

Star Wars - $797,900,000

TDK - $1,001,945,358

Post #: 7
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:27:24 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Also...

quote:

Star Wars(1977) - $460,935,665 The Dark Knight(2008) - $533,316,061

Not sure if those figures are correct.

Star Wars - $797,900,000

TDK - $1,001,945,358

I assumed Maffew was quoting the US grosses.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 8
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:44:15 PM   
elab49

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

All time box office adjusted for inflation. Although that's just takings, no factor for adjusted gross on reported cost. Nothing in the past 15 years - films that dominate the top 50 unadjusted - even makes the top 10.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 9
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:50:07 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

All time box office adjusted for inflation. Although that's just takings, no factor for adjusted gross on reported cost. Nothing in the past 15 years - films that dominate the top 50 unadjusted - even makes the top 10.

James Cameron's towering and majestic Titanic does.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 5:52:10 PM   
Super Hans

I'm not sure it is really - even just looking at the top of the box office charts, 6 films have crossed the $1bn mark in the last 2 years (and at least of couple of them nothing special). I know inflated prices and the advent of 3D has helped, but still. Plus there are a number of franchises that have racked up a fair amount of wonga - Harry Potter, Tranformers, Twilight for example.

I don't know how whole spectrum of filmmaking is being affected, but there's certainly no shortage of massive hits, it would seem.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 11
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 7:05:30 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Those are only the US figures though. And considering Gone with the Wind came out during WWII in Europe its a little misleading.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 12
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 7:13:43 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

I was taking the range from that - 1997-2012. I didn't see the point in getting pedantic about a couple of months.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 27/5/2012 7:14:48 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 13
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 7:35:47 PM   
Whistler

I thought piracy mainly affected DVD/Blu-ray sales, not the box office takings. Either way I don't think it's killing the industry, at all.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 8:33:10 PM   
chewbacasnapsak

Is it the case that pirate DVDs are on the decline, the bloke on the Market isn't there anymore, the dodgy bloke down our local doesn't do it anymore and even the knock off Nigel at work can't be arsed. Maybe there is better money to be made in selling Crack. Who knows?

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 9:47:17 PM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

Or rather I mean if piracy didn't exist, would box office taking be any different? I was just looking through the box office takings for the top 10 grossing films, and I realised films released now take just as much, if not more, as before piracy was particularly prevalent.. ET(1982) - $434,949,459, Avengers(2012) - $472,239,621 Star Wars(1977) - $460,935,665 The Dark Knight(2008) - $533,316,061 ... pretty similar ballbark figures right?

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial's $434.9m is around a billion in today's money BTW.

And wasnt ET reportedly the most pirated film of all time?

Post #: 16
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 27/5/2012 11:06:05 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: chewbacasnapsak

Is it the case that pirate DVDs are on the decline, the bloke on the Market isn't there anymore, the dodgy bloke down our local doesn't do it anymore and even the knock off Nigel at work can't be arsed. Maybe there is better money to be made in selling Crack. Who knows?

Pirate DVDs are on the decline certainly. It is now easier and cheaper (free or near enough) to download what you want. Getting files from the internet has been made easy enough for even unsophisticated computer users to do it; internet speeds are such that getting them is relatively speedy; and pretty well every device you own can play them back: piracy has become a DIY affair.

Piracy does affect the box office, there are still those who will happily watch a crappy recorded off the screen copy rather than pay to see a film in the cinema.

I know people who boast about not having paid for a film in years, even though they can afford to, and think I'm mad for paying for my media consumption. They have usually seen the latest films before me, sometimes before its official release. Whether or not they'd pay for the media if the option of obtaining it for free was taken away is questionable. Those who hold the IP seem to take the view that every illegal copy is a lost sale.

I think they are overstating the case dramatically. Many of these people would just go without if it wasn't free, or scrounge off those of us who do pay. What it allows those running the studios to do is point the finger at outside agents when their financials aren't as good as their shareholders and/or corporate overlords would like. Piracy is a convenient bogey man.

That isn't to say piracy isn't a big problem: it clearly is. Some of the illicit copies do amount to lost sales and lost sales are bad news for any business. However the war on it as fought at present seems to be about as winnable as the war on drugs. The best way to circumvent the issue would be to find alternative ways to monetise their products, whether by advertising or some other way.

But that would require a paradigm shift on how these vast conglomerates think, and a major restructuring of their business models. That's about as likely as my pirate friend suddenly deciding to buy his movies from now on.

As for box office grosses, Wikipedia, citing Guinness World Records, has the worldwide adjusted figures at:

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 17
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 9:53:26 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

Whether or not they'd pay for the media if the option of obtaining it for free was taken away is questionable. Those who hold the IP seem to take the view that every illegal copy is a lost sale.

I think they are overstating the case dramatically. Many of these people would just go without if it wasn't free, or scrounge off those of us who do pay. What it allows those running the studios to do is point the finger at outside agents when their financials aren't as good as their shareholders and/or corporate overlords would like. Piracy is a convenient bogey man.

Couldn't agree more.  Saying that one pirate copy watched equates to one lost sale is an incredibly naieve and simplistic conclusion to foist upon the public as the thrust of your battle against piracy.  Even aside from those who would indeed simply forego movie viewing if it came with an unaviodable price tag, there are plenty out there who use pirate copies as a kind of Hollywood quality control - better to watch those movies that they're not so sure about for free rather than splash out the guts of a tenner to be disappointed on the big screen.  Ironically, from my experience, it is these people who inevitably are the ones who will insist on spending a fortune on the titles that they like: they're the ones who buy every home release, who purchase the movie tie-in products and who will see the sequels regardless of negative reviews.

quote:

That isn't to say piracy isn't a big problem: it clearly is. Some of the illicit copies do amount to lost sales and lost sales are bad news for any business. However the war on it as fought at present seems to be about as winnable as the war on drugs. The best way to circumvent the issue would be to find alternative ways to monetise their products, whether by advertising or some other way.

But that would require a paradigm shift on how these vast conglomerates think, and a major restructuring of their business models. That's about as likely as my pirate friend suddenly deciding to buy his movies from now on.

I'm always reminded of the Bill Hicks take on the war on drugs - "if it really is a war, that means the US Army is getting its ass kicked by a bunch of guys who are stoned out of their minds!"  The comparison is precise - like the war on drugs, the strategy (and I use that term loosely) is to conduct an all-out assault on the suppliers, even if those suppliers are actually teenagers in their bedrooms downloading a copy to watch with friends later, and not some complex supply chain determined to fund their terrorist activities!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 18
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 11:49:04 AM   
st3veebee

Off topic, but it is interesting to see that every decade has a huge box office hit (except 40s). Wonder what will be the mega hit of the teenies (or whatever the hell you call this decade).

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 19
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 12:18:51 PM   
great_badir

One should be looking at attendance figures as opposed to box office - the price of seeing a film both here and abroad has nearly tripled in the last decade or so.

I have no doubt that audience numbers are falling - sold out showings are more and more becoming a thing of the past now. Even Avatar in 3D was not completely 100% sold out on opening day in any of the 'plexes local to me. Clock back to when I was working at a Showcase in the mid 90s and every showing of Independence Day was sold out for most of the opening week.

Personally, I think the ever increasing cost of a ticket will do far more long-term damage to the box office than piracy ever will and, if they're not careful, we may have a repeat of the late 80s/early 90s when cinema audiences were WAY down becaue people stopped going to their local fleapits cos it cost far too much (Jurassic Park, probably the last big blockbuster my local fleapit showed, costing 2.75 for an adult and 2.25 for a child in 1993. Skip forward a few years to the mid to late 90s and the explosion of the multiplex in the UK and you could see something for 2.50, so it actually got cheaper).

So, no - I don't think piracy is causing as much of a problem as much as we are led to believe.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 20
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 12:35:31 PM   
Russ Whitfield

I am a big anti-piracy drum-beater. As a writer, you lose a fair amount of sales to e-book piracy these days, which is gutting - but for minor leaguers like me, its not like we're talking zillions of quid.

There was a big debate about this on a writer's forum recently, but the stand out point for me was that a pirated movie isn't necessarily (or even likely to be) a lost sale. More often than not, people who download movies won't have gone to see them anyway or bought them on DVD - and there were figures to back this up.

In some cases, it was a "try before you buy" exercise, with people just wanting to check something out before they spent money on it (not sure I'm convinced that's the case, but you can't argue with the figures - but are the people giving figures telling the truth?)

There's evidence to support (shock horror!) that studios sometimes seed the pirate sites, whether its to create a buzz or garner some sort of feedback on a project too.

People will always want free stuff, I guess - but as a person who's written some original material, its fucking annoying seeing (pirate) forum posts like "anyone know where I can download a copy of such-and-such."

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 21
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 12:41:09 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield
I am a big anti-piracy drum-beater. As a writer, you lose a fair amount of sales to e-book piracy these days, which is gutting - but for minor leaguers like me, its not like we're talking zillions of quid.

There was a big debate about this on a writer's forum recently, but the stand out point for me was that a pirated movie isn't necessarily (or even likely to be) a lost sale. More often than not, people who download movies won't have gone to see them anyway or bought them on DVD - and there were figures to back this up.

In some cases, it was a "try before you buy" exercise, with people just wanting to check something out before they spent money on it (not sure I'm convinced that's the case, but you can't argue with the figures - but are the people giving figures telling the truth?)

There's evidence to support (shock horror!) that studios sometimes seed the pirate sites, whether its to create a buzz or garner some sort of feedback on a project too.

People will always want free stuff, I guess - but as a person who's written some original material, its fucking annoying seeing (pirate) forum posts like "anyone know where I can download a copy of such-and-such."

Good points, especially the bit in bold - given that 99% of pirated DVDs of on-release films these days are from the negative or screeners, I can't believe that every single one of those has been illegally "ripped" by someone at the studio or in the lab (or whatever labs are called these days - IT suites?). It happens far too often for it to be that, especially when you remember the genuine cases of an employee caught distributing pirates and being given a hefty jail sentence and/or enormous fine.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 22
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 12:56:23 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Good points, especially the bit in bold - given that 99% of pirated DVDs of on-release films these days are from the negative or screeners, I can't believe that every single one of those has been illegally "ripped" by someone at the studio or in the lab (or whatever labs are called these days - IT suites?). It happens far too often for it to be that, especially when you remember the genuine cases of an employee caught distributing pirates and being given a hefty jail sentence and/or enormous fine.

Don't forget the "For Your Consideration" copies out there aswell. Plenty of Academy members or members of the film press out there more than willing to share their copy with the rest of the internet.

Post #: 23
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 12:57:27 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't forget the "For Your Consideration" copies out there aswell. Plenty of Academy members or members of the film press out there more than willing to share their copy with the rest of the internet.

...hence me using the term "screeners"...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 24
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 1:24:04 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

I didn't see the point in getting pedantic.

Much to learn have you, young grasshopper.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 1:44:11 PM   
horribleives

Did someone really just call Titanic 'towering and majestic'?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 26
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 1:46:09 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
Did someone really just call Titanic 'towering and majestic'?

It was a pretty nice boat...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 27
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 1:50:40 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

...hence me using the term "screeners"...

Ah ok. I usually associate "screeners" with the 'in the cinema with a video camera' type of torrent which I tend to avoid.

Post #: 28
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 1:54:22 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Ah ok. I usually associate "screeners" with the 'in the cinema with a video camera' type of torrent which I tend to avoid.

That's okay - "bums inhaling vomit" gives you an out.

(Off but on topic, I haven't seen one of those filmed-with-a-vid-camera pirates for about 15 years - are they extinct now???)

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 29
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 28/5/2012 2:02:23 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I'll be honest, in my time I have watched pirate films. But nearly 99% of the films i've watched, I have gone on to purchase the original copies. Solely because of the extra's, and commentaries which enrich my viewing experience. I've stopped watching pirated films for a good number of years now, becuase some of the stuff is very bad, and its hard to decipher whats being said, and it ruins the experience. However, there have been times which I have watched near faultless copies of pirate films. I remember watching A History of Violence, and the copy looked as clean as an official DVD transfer. So my question is how the heck do people manage to obtain copies of films like these or is it simply leaked from someone inside the studio's?

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI