Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moonrise Kingdom - 26/5/2012 10:10:29 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 30/5/2012 11:52:00 AM   
Filmfan 2

Absolutely fantastic.

This is very much a Wed Anderson movie. As others have said elsewhere, if you have a problem with his way of telling a story this film will do nothing for you, but if you're a fan, this is Wes doing what he does best. I adore his use of colour, composition, and camera movement; his movies are always a joy to look at. The film is full of the whimsy and idiosyncrasy that I've come to expect from his films, and I left the viewing a happy bunny indeed.

Highly recommended.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 2
RE: Moonrise Kingdom - 3/6/2012 3:38:29 PM   
Qwerty Norris

It's interesting that in following an adaptation of a celebrated children's book that was anything but a film for kids (despite the presence of stop-motion animals scoffing vast quantities of food), Wes Anderson has ironically created something that in many ways could be considered his closest thing to a children's film - all being with his obligatory stylisation, musing over fairly non-childlike interests(the records of Francoise Hardy) & his trademark offbeat tone. The reason being that the film is not only successfully anchored by the two child leads, but it also deals with themes very real to childhood on the cusp of adolescence (loneliness, absent family structure, social exclusion from your peers) and consequently, it has an emotional centre to it that by in large, hasn't been this well carried-out in an Anderson film since Tenenbaums. Furthermore, it has a sweeping, intricately-beautiful style that's designed to within an inch of its life - leading to some rather marvellous tracking shots of the sets (the foster home, the scout camp) that hark back to the Belafonte interior shots of The Life Aquatic. The performances from the adults are also strong, with Willis arguably delivering his best showing since M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable. Yet despite the talent of the seniors, it is the kids that remain in the centre of Moonrise Kingdom and overall, that is what makes it work.

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 3
RE: Charming - 9/6/2012 7:42:11 PM   
jrewing1000

Yep. I liked this.

Exactly what you would expect from Wes Anderson. It's a funny, charming, whimsical film, and provides many many moments of real originality and wit. In particular, his talent for good old fashioned storytelling is one of his strengths. There's a scene where Anderson seems to abandon the realistic special effect for something much more theatrical, proving that it isn't what you see, but what you feel that matters.

Film-school stuff. Go see.
Post #: 4
RE: Charming - 12/6/2012 5:55:15 PM   
R W

As he hits the magic number of seven in terms of his directorial career (as well as a short film), you ought to know the mechanics of a Wes Anderson film. Although he is often criticised for being smug and a bit clever-clever, Anderson beautifully blends his dry humour with a fable narrative, along with a killer soundtrack, with works such as Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. Following his strange and perhaps adult-centric adaptation of Fantastic Mr. Fox, the director returns to live-action with which many have called his most ambitious film to date, in the form of Moonrise Kingdom.

In the year of 1965, former Boy Scout Sam Shakusky (Jared Gilman) and unhappy bookworm Suzy Bishop (Kara Hayward) escape from their New England island town to share their love with one another. Their disappearance prompts a local search party led by the Sheriff (Bruce Willis) and the girl's parents (Bill Murray, Frances McDormand) to fan out to find them.

It's fair to say that if you are not a Wes Anderson fan, you will not be won over by his latest work, as it has a lot of his signature traits such as his unconventional storytelling, methodical cinematography and the presentation similar to a storybook. In terms of the narrative of this film, it follows the journey of the two young leads that are both experiencing first love with such intimacy, whilst we are witnessing the responses from the adults of their island who have problems of their own.

While there are some humorous moments throughout such as Bill Murray's mopey appearance and Edward Norton as the scout master, one wouldn't classify the film as laugh-out-loud funny, due to the surprising dark tone as the young pair faces danger in the vein of Lord of the Flies. As the story unfolds, it is revealed that Sam is an orphan who might face a similar fate to Oliver Twist. Whilst it is not a kid's film, Anderson is clearly influenced by those aforementioned stories as a lot of these tales dealt with light and darkness.

Amongst the fine ensemble of actors that not only consists of frequent Anderson collaborators Murray and Jason Schwartzman, but surprisingly Bruce Willis who is a fresh face for a Wes Anderson film. In the role of the lonely Sheriff, we are not seeing a Willis-in-a-vest performance as the action star is playing someone who just wants to be loved, which thus makes Willis at his most vulnerable since Unbreakable. Even with strong performances from Frances McDormand and Tilda Swinton (simply known as Social Services), newcomers Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward are the real standouts as the outsiders whose love for one another is wonderfully charming and never gratuitous.

It will not win any new converts for the Wes Anderson audience, but Moonrise Kingdom is a strong reminder of what made the director's work great in the beginning, and will perhaps gain the title of "this year's Submarine".

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 5
RE: Charming - 21/6/2012 9:51:12 AM   
estelle

I agree with mos of you, this is not a film for everyone, but if you're into auteur approaches of reality, this is a film for you.

For me it was sending out rare messages of innocence and true, young love, but I write it better over here:

Enjoy!

Edit - the site doesn't allow advertising of personal sites in posts. You're welcome to review the film here or post a link in your sig. But please don't refer to it within posts or try to direct users off-site.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 29/9/2012 11:02:14 PM >

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 6
RE: - 7/7/2012 6:20:59 AM   
TragicRomantic

Great film for Anderson fans,not for non-believers.I loved it!

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters
Post #: 7
RE: - 6/10/2012 10:33:58 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Just seen it and it is one of Andersons better films or,arguably,his best.
It had the usual qwerkyness but I felt this time that it was slightly more grounded and wasn't trying to be over the top or garish.
The acting was great,especially from Bruce Willis who I'd like to see do more similar roles other than the anti hero characters he's played throughout his career.
The pacing was perfect,the humour and wit was executed with precision and visually it portrayed that classic Anderson style.

A enjoyable family film.

5/5
Post #: 8
RE: Brilliant as usual - 2/11/2012 11:51:58 AM   
lola_re

Was anyone else really impressed by the soundtrack?

I heard so much music in that film that I can't imagine hearing anywhere else, like this --> Oliver Cromwell
Post #: 9
RE: Brilliant as usual - 2/11/2012 1:11:14 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: lola_re

Was anyone else really impressed by the soundtrack?

I heard so much music in that film that I can't imagine hearing anywhere else, like this --> Oliver Cromwell

Yep.
The music was well matched with the qwerkyness of the movie.
Must check it (soundtrack) out some time.

(in reply to lola_re)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Moonrise Kingdom Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI