Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destroy football

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destroy football Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destroy f... - 25/5/2012 5:23:07 PM   
directorscut

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/25/sepp-blatter-penalty-shoot-outs?newsfeed=true

PS. Cech looks at least 3 ft off his line there...

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.
Post #: 1
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 25/5/2012 5:27:44 PM   
matty_b

Penalty shoot outs are one of the very best things about football.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 2
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 25/5/2012 5:37:50 PM   
superdan

Blatter is an idiot who doesn't actually seem to understand why people like football.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 25/5/2012 5:57:20 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Rock, Paper, Scissors
Voting using the Sky red button
Bring back Silver Goal
Or at the start of extra time let Joey Barton loose on the pitch taking random players out from each team until one side scores or only one man is left standing

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 25/5/2012 6:00:30 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 25/5/2012 9:24:56 PM   
James2183

Funny how this comes out after an English team win at penalties

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 25/5/2012 9:49:38 PM   
Frank Castle

as far as im concerned he's right on this one,penelty shoot outs are a terrible way of choosing a winner though picking another option is difficult personally id keep playing till someone scores.

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 6
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 25/5/2012 10:05:39 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

as far as im concerned he's right on this one,penelty shoot outs are a terrible way of choosing a winner though picking another option is difficult personally id keep playing till someone scores.

That wouldn't really work in tournament football though as you could (as unlikely as it may be) end up with games going on for 3 hrs, injuries much more likely and if they then have to play again in two/three days, what kind of spectacle is that going to be...much like golden goal didn't work as teams would rarely take the risk of trying to attack as one mistake and it's all over.

Penalties is what it is, everyone should just get on with...absolutely nothing to do with last Sat, of course

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 7
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 25/5/2012 10:11:16 PM   
boaby

Nothing that the TV companies disagree with will be done.

I like the play till someone scores notion.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 8
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 25/5/2012 10:22:14 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

I don't see why. They're essentially the ultimate test of a footballers nerve, concentration and skill. They're also unbelievable drama. Even if you're a complete neutral you can't help but be captivated by a penalty shootout.

Post #: 9
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 1:29:25 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/25/sepp-blatter-penalty-shoot-outs?newsfeed=true

Is it petulant of me to say he's suddenly decided he feels this way now because Chelsea won the European cup last weekend via a penalty shoot-out?

We all know he doesn't like the English, it's about time we just faced up to that.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 26/5/2012 1:30:13 AM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 10
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 9:11:58 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Is it petulant of me to say he's suddenly decided he feels this way now because Chelsea won the European cup last weekend via a penalty shoot-out?

We all know he doesn't like the English, it's about time we just faced up to that.

I agree. But you'll be surprised by the amount of people who think Sepp Blubber and his cronies are actually doing football a whole world of good!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 26/5/2012 9:15:00 AM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 11
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 10:27:37 AM   
Rinc

I reckon Blatter would have probably of come out with this at some point anyway. They love changing the rules every so often, even if it's not needed.

I love penalties, they're incredibly dramatic. When you're a neutral it ramps up a match, when your team is involved it's the most tense way to win. The only improvement I could see is an ice hockey style run up with the ball from the half way line. Other than that, leave it how it is.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 12
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 11:34:11 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

Penalties are perfect, 120 minutes should be enough to get a result. The only alternative I can see is running with the ball from the halfway line and tryng to score, will make it a bit more interesting as the keeper can come steaming out.

Carrying on playing will cause injuries and knacker teams out

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 13
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 3:10:16 PM   
DJ Satan

Hate penalties.

I'd take a leaf out of Ice Hockey's book here. During extra time just remove a couple of players from each team every 5 minutes until someone scores.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 14
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 3:25:36 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Hate penalties.

I'd take a leaf out of Ice Hockey's book here. During extra time just remove a couple of players from each team every 5 minutes until someone scores.

I've seen that mentioned before, and I can't imagine anything more ridiculous. It could end up looking like a schoolyard game, except on a fullsize pitch with half a dozen exhausted players attempting to run the ball into each others net. It would be pitiful.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 15
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 3:31:59 PM   
James2183

Penalties are dramatic and get audiences. Broadcasters wouldn't want it changed.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 16
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 4:05:09 PM   
matty_b

Try to imagine football without Stuart Pearce walloping one past Spain in Euro '96.

Now try and imagine football without John Terry falling on his arse in Moscow against Man Utd.

That is why penalty shootouts are the greatest things ever invented in football. Fact.

quote:

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 17
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 6:11:07 PM   
Giant Green Rabbit

I think it is useful to find an alternative to penalties.

One of the problems with international football in particular is the declining number of goals per tournament, a consistent trend since the 1940s. Athleticism has meant that fit players even without skill can close down even the best teams effectively, thus it becomes tempting for even slightly weaker sides to play defensively and re-actively. Their emphasis is on getting men behind the ball effectively and breaking only when attacked. When two such teams come together the result is barely watchable (think the Chelsea-Liverpool CL ties in 2005 and 2007 - didn't Jorge Valdano describe it as 'shit on a stick'?).

Euro 2008 was an exception; free-flowing attacking football from Holland, Spain, Germany, Turkey and Russia. What is it now - 10 CL finals decided on penalties? It doesn't really separate the best from the rest, and rewards reactive football with an opportunity to win by not really playing football.

Is there a solution? I think so. At extra time two players per team should be removed - perhaps one each per half. This would open up space on the pitch rewarding the more creative players. Others have suggested that every ten minutes a player each should be removed. If you open up space on the pitch you reward the more proactive team - it might discourage teams from parking the bus and playing for penalties. It is rare that matches going into extra time in major tournaments produce much footballing drama (WC Final 1994, 2006, 2010, CL finals 2003, 2005, 2008, 2012), though there are exceptions. Boring matches after 90 minutes need to be opened up and taking off players might be the way to do it. Of course after 30 or 40 minutes of extra time, if the match isn't settled, penalties can remain.

Once there was a little bunny who had a little furry tail and a little shiny nose. But the electrodeath cloud of commerce strangled it and its foxhole was converted to a parking lot, a parking lot, a parking lot. Ample parking asphalted over bunny bones. Everyone everyone get in.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 18
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 6:21:54 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Giant Green Rabbit

Is there a solution? I think so. At extra time two players per team should be removed - perhaps one each per half. This would open up space on the pitch rewarding the more creative players.

Or, alternatively, it rewards the more athletic players.

(in reply to Giant Green Rabbit)
Post #: 19
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 7:03:14 PM   
Giant Green Rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Is there a solution? I think so. At extra time two players per team should be removed - perhaps one each per half. This would open up space on the pitch rewarding the more creative players.

Or, alternatively, it rewards the more athletic players.

Defensive sides are usually more tired than attacking teams, hence the players who have said that to play against Barcelona and Spain you need an extra pair of lungs.

It's no doubt that playing with fewer places is a better reflection of how good a team is at football than penalty kicks. And you can still have penalties if there is no winner.

Once there was a little bunny who had a little furry tail and a little shiny nose. But the electrodeath cloud of commerce strangled it and its foxhole was converted to a parking lot, a parking lot, a parking lot. Ample parking asphalted over bunny bones. Everyone everyone get in.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 20
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 8:51:33 PM   
erasheha1985

Oh dear, only in England could we paranoid enough to think that Blatter wanting to scrap penalties is yet another attempt to squash the power of English football.

Post #: 21
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 9:36:42 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: erasheha1985

Oh dear, only in England could we paranoid enough to think that Blatter wanting to scrap penalties is yet another attempt to squash the power of English football.

Forgive me, but I'm not convinced you're English.

(in reply to erasheha1985)
Post #: 22
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 26/5/2012 10:00:12 PM   
matty_b

quote:

It is rare that matches going into extra time in major tournaments produce much footballing drama (WC Final 1994, 2006, 2010, CL finals 2003, 2005, 2008, 2012), though there are exceptions.

I would say those were all dramatic matches well worth sticking through extra time for. And that's not counting the semi or quarter finals that have been great over 120 minutes.

quote:

Post #: 23
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 27/5/2012 12:30:48 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I think it is useful to find an alternative to penalties.

Is there a solution? I think so. At extra time two players per team should be removed - perhaps one each per half.

I don't think this is an original idea, taking players off has been mooted for some time, but I'd actually like to see it tried.

Post #: 24
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 27/5/2012 10:18:50 AM   
erasheha1985

quote:

quote:

I'm English, I just don't share this view that UEFA and FIFA are out to destroy us. Besides, if Blatter wanted to hinder England at internation level, he'd want to keep them.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 25
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 27/5/2012 10:23:51 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm English, I just don't share this view that UEFA and FIFA are out to destroy us. Besides, if Blatter wanted to hinder England at internation level, he'd want to keep them.

To be fair, I don't either. I think Jack Warner had a genuine ax to grind, but Sepp and the rest are just tiresome corrupt bureaucrats. I don't think they actually care about the game of football, not really. They only care about the brand, increasing the market etc. And lining their own pockets of course. Which is why, as others have said, penalties will be here to stay as they boost broadcasters ratings.

(in reply to erasheha1985)
Post #: 26
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 28/5/2012 7:27:03 AM   
Frank Castle

kinda changed my mind on this,only knockout matches should end in penalties, i dont think a final should ever be finished with a shoot out though and keep having 15 minutes each way changing ends. if someone scores the other team have that allocated 30 mins timeslot to get back in the game.

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 27
RE: Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destr... - 28/5/2012 9:28:30 AM   
Russ Whitfield

I thought the "Golden Goal" was great. I'd have to google why they got rid of it, but it seemed to be a good solution.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Sepp Blatter continues his one man crusade to destroy football Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI