Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rock Bands who should be Amongst The Best

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Rock Bands who should be Amongst The Best Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rock Bands who should be Amongst The Best - 29/5/2012 4:10:08 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

To go back to the original topic: I'm still flabbergasted that American Music Club were never as big as REM or someone and that ony a handful of obsessives and '80s/'90s rock critics have ever heard of them.
As well as being possibly my favourite lyricist ever, Mark Eitzel has a voice that is one of the most beautiful things I've ever been in the same room as.

American Music Club absolutely deserved to be global on the strength of Everclear alone (though I probably prefer the Engine and California if I'm being honest), and Eitzel is right up there with Mark Oliver Everett as one of the most under-rated lyricists to have come out of the good old US of A.  Given the press attention and critical praise that Everclear received at the time, I've often wondered what stopped them from reaching the same heights as REM.

Out of interest, what do you think of the post-reformation albums?

I really like them both, though Love Songs For Patriots just about edges it. There's the odd pedestrian moment on The Golden Age but the good stuff (All My Love, The Stars, One Step Ahead and - especially - Windows On The World) are some of the best tracks he's ever written and one thing it has going for it over LSFP is the decision to put Vudi's guitar upfront. Having said all that, I think his last solo album, Klamath, was maybe even better than both - it was certainly the darkest record he's made in years.
Speaking of which, Eitzel said recently that he'd only do another AMC album if Vudi was involved but apparently on his down time he drives a bus and is quite difficult to track down. Which is a shame.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 31
RE: Rock Bands who should be Amongst The Best - 29/5/2012 8:09:35 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swoz_MK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

As for Korn, I saw them at Donnington 96 and they were shit, I wasn't in the least bit fussed that they didn't turn up. They pretty much invented the emo. And the emo is something we could all do without.

Stunningly incorrect.

Which bit?

The bit about Korn being shit, the bit about them inventing emo or the bit about emo being shit?

The bit about them inventing it, I'd imagine (the bit about them being shit was bang on). While Korn may have had an influence on a lot of the godawful shite that's now referred to as emo, the term was originally used to refer to seminal DC post-hardcore bands of the '80s like Rites Of Spring and Embrace

I was being a little tongue in cheek I guess, probably for both comedic effect and also to draw attention to myself

I know Korn didn't invent the Emo, nor do I dislike the Emo, to each their own. I sand by them being Shite at Donnington '96 though, that much is true & they caused me to miss the start of Sepultura's set. Dicks.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 32
RE: Rock Bands who should be Amongst The Best - 30/5/2012 2:52:19 PM   
st3veebee

Bringing the topic back to ME.

Listening to Soundgarden yesterday I can honestly say there are probably about 2/3 songs the have made that are genuinely bad out of their entire catalogue (Half,  665 and maybe circle of power). Everthing else ranges from good - mind blowing in my book.

Loving Limo Wreck at the minute, stuck in my head all day.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 33
RE: Rock Bands who should be Amongst The Best - 30/5/2012 3:55:53 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Bringing the topic back to ME.

Listening to Soundgarden yesterday I can honestly say there are probably about 2/3 songs the have made that are genuinely bad out of their entire catalogue (Half,  665 and maybe circle of power). Everthing else ranges from good - mind blowing in my book.

Loving Limo Wreck at the minute, stuck in my head all day.

I'd add a handful of tracks from Down On The Upside (Ty Cobb, Rhinosaur, Dusty, Never Named, No Attention, Blow Up The Outside World) though I wouldn't call any of those bad as such, just a bit uninspired and dull and not a patch on the best stuff from that record (Pretty Noose, Applebite, Never The Machine Forever, Switch Opens). Louder Than Love and Ultramega OK have a few iffy moments too but Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are pretty much flawless.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 30/5/2012 3:56:23 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Rock Bands who should be Amongst The Best Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI