Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Carey Mulligan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Carey Mulligan Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carey Mulligan - 24/5/2012 3:53:24 AM   
vad3r

I used to hate this actress, but she has won me over after watching her in Drive.

I refuse to watch An Education, next up will be Never Let Me Go and Shame. Her period drama accent really annoys me.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.
Post #: 1
RE: Carey Mulligan - 24/5/2012 7:54:14 PM   
Firstlook

Never Let Me Go was pretty heavy. She did great in that film.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 2
RE: Carey Mulligan - 24/5/2012 9:25:19 PM   
MonsterCat

She was the best thing about the otherwise mediocre An Education, and she was electric in Shame. Her character in Drive was sorely underwritten, but she managed to rise above it and do good work.

Seems like a level headed and nice young lady too.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Firstlook)
Post #: 3
RE: Carey Mulligan - 24/5/2012 10:47:38 PM   
directorscut

She's odd looking.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 4
RE: Carey Mulligan - 24/5/2012 11:05:23 PM   
MonsterCat

She really isn't.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5
RE: Carey Mulligan - 25/5/2012 12:54:19 AM   
Rhubarb

I liked An Education.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 6
RE: Carey Mulligan - 25/5/2012 10:08:57 AM   
Harry Tuttle

She's alright in Drive (it's not really her show) but she's brilliant in Never Let Me Go.

I look forward to watching Shame.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7
RE: Carey Mulligan - 25/5/2012 10:21:52 AM   
MonsterCat

Is it just me or is Never Let Me Go really dull and inert?

Considering what the film is about I wasn't expecting it to be that cool and clinical.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 8
RE: Carey Mulligan - 25/5/2012 10:25:48 AM   
Harry Tuttle

It's just you .

I thought it was great.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 9
RE: Carey Mulligan - 25/5/2012 10:26:59 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

It's just you .

Oh, OK. : )

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 10
RE: Carey Mulligan - 28/5/2012 11:15:40 AM   
buffster28

yeah i really like her too she was brilliant in An Education & Never Let Me Go. she was excellent in Shame too.

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "
Post #: 11
RE: Carey Mulligan - 28/5/2012 1:31:54 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

It's just you .

Oh, OK. : )

I'm with you MonsterCat. I thought it was well acted but emotionally unengaging.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 12
RE: Carey Mulligan - 5/6/2012 1:48:20 PM   
MonsterCat

Is there an echo in here?

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 13
RE: Carey Mulligan - 9/7/2012 9:05:08 AM   
TragicRomantic

Amazing actress who is getting better and better.
And Never Let Me Go is amazing.It is a dissection of humanity and society at its most selfish and selfless.
Mulligan gives an amazingly affective performance.

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 14
RE: Carey Mulligan - 30/9/2012 5:24:47 AM   
siegfried

Her performance made watching An Education worthwhile. It wouldn't have been anywhere near the film it is without her.
She was also fine in Never Let Me Go, although I didn't like the film, and I agree that her role in Drive was somewhat underwritten. However, she did very well with what little she was given.
I'm of two minds whether to see The Great Gatsby when it comes out. From what I've seen of Carey Mulligan I think she would be ideal casting as Daisy. What puts me off, however, is the fact that the film is directed by Baz Luhrman, who has yet to make I film that I haven't despised.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to TragicRomantic)
Post #: 15
RE: Carey Mulligan - 30/9/2012 5:55:33 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

I'm of two minds whether to see The Great Gatsby when it comes out. From what I've seen of Carey Mulligan I think she would be ideal casting as Daisy. What puts me off, however, is the fact that the film is directed by Baz Luhrman, who has yet to make I film that I haven't despised.

I'm exactly the same, but to be honest I'd watch a 6 hour documentary on Albanian sheep herders if it had Carey Mulligan in it, let alone a film by erggh Baz Luhrman.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 16
RE: Carey Mulligan - 30/9/2012 11:37:18 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Her performance made watching An Education worthwhile. It wouldn't have been anywhere near the film it is without her.
She was also fine in Never Let Me Go, although I didn't like the film, and I agree that her role in Drive was somewhat underwritten. However, she did very well with what little she was given.

Oh dear me and you seem to be disagreeing a lot lately  I loved Luhrmann's version of R&J not only was inventive with a exciting pop soundtrack, but he also got two very touching performances out of the leads.  Was a big fan of MR too.

Can't believe I have not commented on this thread yet.  Mulligan is a modern great, she rises above the system and picks the best and most interesting parts for her, she is a star but one who touches people on a human level.  Think she has also done well to get over the period drama label which she had for awhile as a result of a lot of TV work and has now revented herself.  Drive, Never Let Me Go and Shame were all wonderful.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 17
RE: Carey Mulligan - 1/10/2012 9:04:03 PM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Oh dear me and you seem to be disagreeing a lot lately  I loved Luhrmann's version of R&J not only was inventive with a exciting pop soundtrack, but he also got two very touching performances out of the leads.  Was a big fan of MR too.

Can't believe I have not commented on this thread yet.  Mulligan is a modern great, she rises above the system and picks the best and most interesting parts for her, she is a star but one who touches people on a human level.  Think she has also done well to get over the period drama label which she had for awhile as a result of a lot of TV work and has now revented herself.  Drive, Never Let Me Go and Shame were all wonderful.

As I recall, we've always had the odd disagreement, but that's no big deal, I think we agree on more than we disagree about.
As for Luhrmann, though, I'm afraid you'll never convince me. Romeo and Juliet was a complete travesty - he took one of the most beautiful, tragic love stories of all time and vulgarised it into a garish, two hour punk rock video. My mother summed Moulin Rouge up very succinctly - when it was over she said in a very loud voice, "What a load of crap."
Judging by the laughter and a fair bit of applause from the audience, I would guess that quite a few others agreed with her.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 18
RE: Carey Mulligan - 1/10/2012 9:37:11 PM   
MonsterCat

I'm just going to come right out and say it: her voice is sexy and it gives me the horn.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 19
RE: Carey Mulligan - 2/10/2012 1:47:24 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

I'm just going to come right out and say it: her voice is sexy and it gives me the horn.

This. When she sang "New York New York" in Shame, I was close to speechless for about five minutes.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 20
RE: Carey Mulligan - 2/10/2012 1:51:44 AM   
MonsterCat

I think Shame is the only film of hers that's any good.

I mean, she's nothing short of great in An Education, Never Let Me Go and Wall Street 2, but they're not very good films.

EDIT: Actually, Drive is pretty badass, so that's two really good Mulligan flicks.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 2/10/2012 1:53:30 AM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 21
RE: Carey Mulligan - 2/10/2012 2:10:26 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

I think Shame is the only film of hers that's any good.

I mean, she's nothing short of great in An Education, Never Let Me Go and Wall Street 2, but they're not very good films.

EDIT: Actually, Drive is pretty badass, so that's two really good Mulligan flicks.

I was about to say! But yeah, I'd agree with you but I liked Never Let Me Go, mainly because of Mulligan and Garfield. I also liked An Education when I first saw it, but a rewatch wasn't so kind. She's brilliant in it though.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 22
RE: Carey Mulligan - 4/10/2012 11:44:52 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

As I recall, we've always had the odd disagreement, but that's no big deal, I think we agree on more than we disagree about.
As for Luhrmann, though, I'm afraid you'll never convince me. Romeo and Juliet was a complete travesty - he took one of the most beautiful, tragic love stories of all time and vulgarised it into a garish, two hour punk rock video. My mother summed Moulin Rouge up very succinctly - when it was over she said in a very loud voice, "What a load of crap."
Judging by the laughter and a fair bit of applause from the audience, I would guess that quite a few others agreed with her.

Ok and thats a bad thing how?  I am sure there are lots of well crafted and polished TV adaptions of Shakesphere you could enjoy, even enjoyable period films, but that has been done so many times and still is.  I like to see directors ripping up the handbook and expermenting with famous text.  Another thing you have to remember is that the MTV era was still very much in its prime back then so Luhrmann was simply commenting on that, and he gave you a great love story to boot.  Sorry a little off topic there!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 23
RE: Carey Mulligan - 5/10/2012 2:40:08 PM   
DancingClown

She's lovely.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 24
RE: Carey Mulligan - 5/10/2012 7:45:57 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

In my opinion An Education was pretty boring and predictable. For a long time i've been like "what's all the fuzz about ?" and "Why's Carey Mulligan so special ?" but today i watched Drive for the first time, and i must admit that she's a really great actress!

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 25
RE: Carey Mulligan - 6/10/2012 2:30:39 AM   
originalcynic

Drive is poor. An Education is great.

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 26
RE: Carey Mulligan - 6/10/2012 12:47:34 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: originalcynic

Drive is poor.

Any particular reason you didn't like it?

(in reply to originalcynic)
Post #: 27
RE: Carey Mulligan - 6/10/2012 4:31:06 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Drive is poor. An Education is great.

Think you have that one backwards.  She was excellent in An Education but the film was nothing special.

Post #: 28
RE: Carey Mulligan - 7/10/2012 1:05:32 AM   
originalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Drive is poor.

I can't remember now, I've only seen it once, and once was enough. I just thought it was massively overrated.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 29
RE: Carey Mulligan - 7/10/2012 7:31:14 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Drive is poor.

I can't remember now, I've only seen it once, and once was enough. I just thought it was massively overrated.

Oh. Well slightly more on-topic what did you think of Carey in it

Also, I checked my Top 100 of 2011 list yesterday and noticed I gave Never Let Me Go 5/5. I think I may need to re-watch it because my memory really isn't making it seem 5/5 material..

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Carey Mulligan Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI