Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Roth To Direct King’s Cell

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Roth To Direct King’s Cell Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Roth To Direct King’s Cell - 8/3/2006 9:18:45 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
This is good news! - 8/3/2006 9:34:57 AM   
klangster

Having been a King fan since my early teens, his books have become somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me well into adulthood. I must admit never having quite got into the whole Dark Tower thing and found some of his more recent books (probably the last decade's worth) rather pedestrain affairs...

However, Cell was a definite return to something like his old self and having just finished it, can vouch for a suitably cinematic climax that Roth should be able to have a whole lot of fun with!

Right - who's going to start the casting wishlist?

Klang!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
heres hoping - 8/3/2006 10:12:00 AM   
Rock Lobster!

could'nt be worse than Dreamcatcher (shit weasels? that fucking orange thing at the end? what the fuck?) and lets hope Roth can deliver the best King adaptation since The Green Mile. i'm a King fan (though i have'nt read Cell but i might do once i finish the Dark Tower series and take a King break) and i maintain his best work is The Stand. could that not be adapted into three major films ala LOTR? the tv mini series was terrible (Jamey Sheriden as Randall Flagg? i always pictured him as a young Cuckoo's nest era Jack Nicholson myself) and i can imagine a fine cast for it now-Joaquin Phoenix as Stu, Zooey Deschanel as Fran, Jared Leto as Nick....it'd be class!

Post #: 3
Bad News! - 8/3/2006 11:42:18 AM   
wesker

Roth seems to like doing horror movies in a sick-trashy fashion. While that can work, I think the tone of Cell, which I'm making my way through at the moment, is a little more intelligent and would need a more subtle director.

Post #: 4
- 8/3/2006 1:57:23 PM   
billythehick

man this sounds like a waste of talent. i mean its just 28days later all over again. you know, the not-quite-zombies schtick, which i might add is pretty half-baked here. i mean why? why?

Post #: 5
- 8/3/2006 2:28:34 PM   
alphabet

I'm siding with wesker here, I'm 3/4 of the way through Cell right now and whilst I liked Roth's Cabin Fever, and look forward to Hostel, I was hoping for a director who can hold back a little when it serves the story. Maybe that's Roth and he just hasn't shown it yet - I hope so. Since early on the tone of the book has been reminding me of Spielberg's adaptation of War of the Worlds: a small group's personal story more than the worldwide one Roth talks about on AICN. I'm still hoping for good things here; at least we know the horror aspects will be excellent, and this may just be the film for Roth to open up and show what else he's capable of. During the recent webchat I asked about Grind and whether he'd like to do a double-header like Tarantino and Rodriguez. His reply was he'd love to do it with someone like Richard Kelly - so there you go, maybe they could get together on this and knock it out of the park. Just an idea.

Post #: 6
I KNEW IT - 8/3/2006 4:02:34 PM   
bobson13

As soon as i started reading this book I knew it would be in pre production by now

Post #: 7
tripe plot - 8/3/2006 4:42:45 PM   
fuckabees

this plot is so thin and sounds like complete tripe

Post #: 8
didnt see this coming - 15/3/2006 7:51:00 PM   
asbo92

good god its another stephen king book made film whooda thunk it

Post #: 9
roch is rubbish! - 16/3/2006 3:10:38 PM   
noseybonk

When is sombody going to realise that Eli Roch is not the saviour of horror even if he did manage to fool Tarantino into endorsing him.
Cabin Fever and Hostel are terrible movies and about as original as a hula hoops! They both look and feel like students made them.
It just goes to show to get your next job in Jaded Hollywood all you gotta do is hit paydirt at the box office and you are a hero .
As a Stephen King fan i await this movie with dread and expect it to be another in a long line of terrible adaptations.

Post #: 10
RE: roch is rubbish! - 28/4/2006 8:36:08 PM   
rstainforth

jeez, i really dont know what to say...i'm a HUGE stephen king fan, and loved all his books, cell included, but i have to agree with some previous posts; for the love of god, DON'T LET ELI ROTH NEAR IT!!!!!!!!  let him handle the next jason movie or something, and give the king to someone who can handle it.  mostly a claustrophobic tale of a small band struggling to cope with the end of the world, coupled with a road movie of sorts, this needs doing properly...j. j. abrahams anyone?

(in reply to noseybonk)
Post #: 11
RE: roch is rubbish! - 1/5/2006 2:57:29 PM   
kumar

eli roth is a shit head. hes crap. i can see this is going to stink to high heavens already.

i saw the "roth" in the title and my heart sank. waste of money

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to rstainforth)
Post #: 12
RE: roch is rubbish! - 22/10/2006 8:41:36 AM   
Glorfindel

AICN Exclusive: Who's writing the adaptation of Stephen King's CELL? Find out here!!!

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here... I've been awake for nearly 40 hours straight now. I started out waking up in Austin 5:45am CST Friday... and traveled to Prague (2 flights and a 6 hour layover at JFK)... where I got off the plane, got into my hotel, showered and left for the set of HOSTEL 2... stayed for the entire day... now I'm back in my hotel and am about to black out before I get to spend tomorrow exploring the city.

But first a little info I received during my set visit regarding Eli Roth's upcoming Stephen King adaptation, CELL. It was announced he was directing it a while ago, but now a deal has been made to bring on the person (persons, in this case) who are adapting the novel (one that I believe is King's most fun book, not counting his Dark Tower work, in a decade). As the old knight would say... he has chosen... wisely...

Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski will be adapting Stephen King's CELL.

They recently rewrote Matt Greenberg's script for the Stephen King adaptation 1408, starring John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson. Word around the campfire is that script is absolutely fantastic. They also wrote the brilliant script for THE PEOPLE VS. LARRY FLYNT and MAN ON THE MOON... let's forget they wrote AGENT CODY BANKS and focus on their successes! I mean, they wrote ED WOOD for god's sake!

Can't wait to see what they do with this book. I hope they make it their own, but still honor the original material. It hasn't been alive long enough to become a Stephen King classic, but like I said above, I think it's one of this most fun and entertaining books in a long while. I'm going to slip into a minor coma now. In the mean time, what do you folks think of this development?

The Hobbit Film - The way it was meant to be or not at all.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Roth To Direct King’s Cell Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI