Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
American Beauty - 22/5/2012 7:34:01 PM   
liamallen93

American Beauty (1999)

Directed by: Sam Mendes

Written by: Alan Ball (Screenplay)

Music by: Thomas Newman

Starring: Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Thora Birch, Wes Bentley, Mena Suvari, Chris Cooper, Peter Gallagher, Allison Janney

Kevin Spacey gives the sort of performance that makes one believe he was born to play Lester Burnham. Trapped in a loveless marriage with Bening's controlling social climber and having lost any hope of a relationship with his introverted, teenage daughter, Lester decides enough is enough. Having fallen for his daughter's beautiful friend and begun reliving his youth by smoking cannabis purchased from his daughter's new boyfriend, Lester's outlook on life starts to drastically change.
A red rose motif is used throughout the film, shot with illuminating clarity up until the darkest, final act. But, American Beauty doesn't do the obvious by creating such sharp contrast between the idyllic surface of these people's lives and the complexities that lie beneath, it's sort of subtly dark from the outset.
More than an outstanding portrait of suburban life in America, an outstanding portrait of the beauty of life itself. "It's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world" states Burnham.
Post #: 1
RE: American Beauty - 22/5/2012 7:48:47 PM   
elab49

Liam, could you please check your PMs?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to liamallen93)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> American Beauty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI