Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Machine Gun Preacher - 22/5/2012 7:29:18 PM   
liamallen93

Machine Gun Preacher (2011)

Directed by: Marc Forster

Written by: Jason Keller (Screenplay)

Music by: Asche & Spencer

Starring: Gerard Butler, Michelle Monaghan, Michael Shannon, Kathy Baker, Madeline Carroll, Souleymane Sy Savane

Based on the true events of Sam Childers, a drug addicted biker, turned preacher and saviour to thousands of Sudanese children. This is clearly a story worth telling, but it is executed horribly on screen. The pacing is so uneven; almost immediately Childers is building a church and going gung ho on the rebels, rescuing children with no build up to his reformation. The film also reaffirms my belief of Gerard Butler as a poor actor, his Southern accent is limp and cringe-worthy as is the script from which he speaks.
Maybe it got better in the second half, because if I'm honest I only saw the first before giving up. True, I've sat through far more appalling displays right through to the bitter end. It was the juxtaposition of the serious topic of which this film addresses combined with its laughable execution that made me uncomfortable.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Machine Gun Preacher Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI