Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
May Payne 3 - 22/5/2012 12:03:21 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Really?? - 28/6/2012 3:44:30 PM   
Mattrudyuk

Oh and the multi-player was ridiculous, sorry forgot to mention that part.  Mindless shooting, much like the game itself
Post #: 2
RE: Really?? - 17/7/2012 12:21:43 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mattrudyuk

Oh and the multi-player was ridiculous, sorry forgot to mention that part.  Mindless shooting, much like the game itself

Ridiculous-ly good,  of course.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Mattrudyuk)
Post #: 3
Max Payne 3 - 20/7/2012 10:54:22 PM   
rich

It's been a long time coming, but Rockstar delivers a massively gratifying action experience with a wide variety of locations, and a large number of ways to destroy them whilst throwing yourself around in slow motion. Concerns over the character design prove to be unwarranted thanks to the story and where it takes our pill crunching hero, and while the plot is a fairly basic crime drama underneath all the mystery elements it still delivers a number of satisying emotional beats - Max may even be a little more human than before thanks to both the writing and the solid voice work by James McCaffrey (now also on mo-cap duties) even if the monologues about being drunk, angry and burnt out are perhaps a few too many.

It does however fail to include any real ties to the first two Remedy titles despite two flashback sequences, and their twisted sense of humour, quirky characters and comic book noir are greatly missed - there are no big nods to Norse mythology here, and Sam Lake's trademark style has been removed completely (side note - replay Alan Wake). Still, saying that, there are actually a few surreal moments and TV shows scattered around in several missions even when the nightmare drug overdose levels have been ousted, and it makes up for it in pure firepower. On a technical level it's a great looking game, detail levels in each environment are high with a few nice easter-eggs hidden around, and the examination of clues to be found adds to both the story and the retired detective elements of the chacter.

The physics engine may have you hitting the scenery after a signature bullet time dive, but does allow for some good scenery destruction and overall the gameplay is better than ever with extreme slow-mo kill cams, and new "last man standing" moments punctuating the violence. The artificial lense distortion effects and scan lines can be a little distracting at first but soon become less intrusive, and this is definately a game worth pausing to check the view during a choice muzzle flash. Also as is now to be expected from the folks who gave us Red Dead Redemption, the soundtrack is excellent providing some memorable moments during the duel weilding madness; the score by electronic group Health is well worth a look. This is also a title in which replay value is high, not only thanks to the gameplay style which allows for varied play throughs but also due to the inclusion of the challenges set by both mission time trial New York Minute and the high score point scoring Arcade mode. I also found myself hunting for upgrade Golden Gun pieces during the story, even if they are damn ugly. Multiplayer is an added bonus.

Closing comments - the terrible shirts and South American underworld vibes may be lacking any of the charm which would be expected for a sequel in this series, but the ultra violence and synth soundtrack mix is rather a good one, well worth a look for action fans and dubious of the art direction or the new developers.

Overall score - 4/5

< Message edited by rich -- 20/7/2012 11:07:23 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 4
RE: Max Payne 3 - 23/7/2012 1:25:54 PM   
foodfather

There are only 2 things about Max Paye 3 that comes close lagacy left by Remedy. Max Payne himself, and the music. And both of these things happen to be very different from the first 2. Max Payne is more suicidal, more gritty in appearence and more hellbent than ever. The music is much more stylish Synthesized soundtrack heavily inspired by 80's B movie productions like Escape from New York.

But the gameplay, from shooting, to running to getting in and out of cover is just painfull. It very sloppy and unresponsive. The story itself is just a mess. Locations for the most part are bland and look like reskined areas of a GTA game. The slums sections actually have some personality to it though, but the rest of the game from the nightclubs to football stadiums to warehouses and rooftops have all been done far better before. In terms if mission structure, its very unimaginative, in fact its very similar to the Kane & Lynch games.

5/5 for presentation
2/5 for gameplay and design.

Overall 3.5/5

< Message edited by foodfather -- 23/7/2012 1:29:15 PM >

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
RE: Max Payne 3 - 22/8/2012 12:31:57 PM   
tinobest

Max Payne 3 better and more difficult then Max Payne 1,2.Graphics and music are amazing.Presentation of this games is really nice.I rate 10/10 rating for its presentation.

< Message edited by tinobest -- 22/8/2012 12:32:52 PM >

(in reply to foodfather)
Post #: 6
RE: Max Payne 3 - 19/12/2012 3:27:46 PM   
gazpop

it's winter, brrrrr, and I am thinking of hitting the console for a spell....loved MaxPayne 1 and 2 but there's so much disagreement re number 3 so I am most confused. Red Dead Redemption however gets a pretty much blanket 8 or 9 out of 10 score. Thoughts?
In fact, I may need to go to some of the more popular threads to ask for extra advice

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to tinobest)
Post #: 7
RE: Max Payne 3 - 20/12/2012 9:53:13 PM   
rich

Depends if you want constant bullet mayhem offered by Max Payne, which lacks the charm of 1-2 but is excellent in terms of gun play and set pieces - OR the style of game in Red Dead which is all slow burning atmosphere, exploring the plains by horse back etc. Both offer differing styles of slo-mo shooting. RD at this point will be a lot cheaper and come packed with the supernatural zombie DLC so has more content.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 8
RE: Max Payne 3 - 22/12/2012 12:46:31 PM   
gazpop

cheers Rich
just got given Mass Effect and ME2....lovin it!!

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 9
RE: Max Payne 3 - 27/12/2012 8:05:01 AM   
chocolade

I really like the graphics and storyline, but honestly - i was hoping this game will be better.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 10
RE: Max Payne 3 - 28/12/2012 12:34:25 PM   
gazpop

which game Choccy?

(in reply to chocolade)
Post #: 11
RE: Max Payne 3 - 2/1/2013 7:27:08 AM   
chocolade

Sorry, i forgot to add - i mean Max Payne 3 :P

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 12
Empire has gone mad. - 12/7/2014 12:06:31 PM   
Gator MacReady

This was a tepid, shallow, disgusting game that left me feeling depressed and dirty.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Special Forums] >> Game Reviews >> May Payne 3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI