Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 10:06:21 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

After hearing about the conflict between the filmmakers and the UK distributors of 'Iron Sky' it had me wondering what the point in one day cinema releases? Surely it would make more sense to have a full run or go straight to DVD/Blu-Ray?*

* Yes I've started this thread because the screenings at my local cinema are full and this makes me sad

quote:

You may have been following Iron Sky’s UK release “plan”, which is to put it out to cinemas for only one day, and then rush out a DVD just few days later. We are not OK with this, and we’ve been trying to make them change their minds.

Revolver said that if the one-day release of Iron Sky is successful they will extend the theatrical run:

“Revolver is still in discussion with the exhibitors about extending the cinema run. Come out on the 23rd May, show your support, make IRON SKY day a huge success and lets keep the film playing on the big screen!”

But apparently, they have no intention on doing so.

Today we got an email from a owner of a legendary Prince Charles Cinema in London, who has been trying to book more showings from Revolver for Iron Sky without success. After already having sold out three screening, mind you. Here’s what he had to say:

“We have been amazed by the interest in Iron Sky, having sold out two performances in only a few days we ended up putting a third late evening screening on due to the fact we are only allowed to show the film for one day theatrically. It’s such a shame as we feel there is huge audience out there wanting to see the film on a Cinema screen. Hopefully we will be able to change the film distributors attitude and get them to allow us to screen the film for a run in the near future.”

So, Revolver is saying one thing and doing another. When confronted with this matter, they kept on claiming that if there is enough demand, they’ll keep the movie in the theaters for a longer time, but given the comments we’ve been hearing from theaters, they have no intention on doing so.

Because Revolver is not doing their job, we need to find another way. For this, it would be ideal to know directly the demand from the theaters. So, here’s a new assignment for those who want to help: contact your local film theater and ask them to extend the cinema release from Revolver, and if Revolver refuses, we would be happy to be informed of that.

The whole ridiculousness of the situation is making waves across the Internet. We’ve been following as thousands of tweets and comments on Twitter and Facebook are demanding Revolver to change their plans. Even UK’s leading film critic Mark Kermode from BBC has been wondering the situation:

“I’m astonished that in a world where Piranha 3DD was released on several screens around the country and everybody can go out and see it, Iron Sky is going to be released for one day and go straight to BluRay and DVD — it deserves more than that!”

Revolver, if you want anyone to believe you actually support our film, now is the time to step up and let the theaters who want to run Iron Sky longer than one day do so!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 10:13:30 AM   
elab49

From the reviews it sounds as if Iron Sky might even be worse than Piranha 3DD 

It does seem a rather pointless strategy though. Is it solely to ensure they get into the cinema reviews section so more publicity for the DVD release? DVD reviews don't have as much prominence.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 10:43:21 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

From the reviews it sounds as if Iron Sky might even be worse than Piranha 3DD 

It does seem a rather pointless strategy though. Is it solely to ensure they get into the cinema reviews section so more publicity for the DVD release? DVD reviews don't have as much prominence.

Is it pointless though? One of the screenings at the Cameo has sold out & I suspect the latter one will be close to as well.

Having it go straight to DVD quickly increases the chances of piracy as well.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 22/5/2012 10:44:38 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 11:37:39 AM   
adambatman82

The sole reason for one day screenings is so the distributors can say that a film has had a theatrical run, which is semi-prestigious next to all the £5 straight-to-video rubbish that clog up supermarket chart shelves.

I saw the film this morning, and its an absolute stinker.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 4
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 12:36:41 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

The sole reason for one day screenings is so the distributors can say that a film has had a theatrical run, which is semi-prestigious next to all the £5 straight-to-video rubbish that clog up supermarket chart shelves.

I saw the film this morning, and its an absolute stinker.

That's a shame, I thought this might be as much fun as "Dead Snow"

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 1:33:13 PM   
Spaldron

Shame as I was really looking forward to this but its only showing once in Edinburgh which is sold out.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 6
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 1:34:49 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

What's the point of that!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 7
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 3:07:22 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Shame as I was really looking forward to this but its only showing once in Edinburgh which is sold out.

Twice.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 8
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 3:17:29 PM   
UTB

Threeeeee times a laaaadddyyyyyy

Post #: 9
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 22/5/2012 3:23:40 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Threeeeee times a laaaadddyyyyyy

I knew that was coming after I posted.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 10
RE: One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? - 23/5/2012 9:47:13 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Twice.

It's actually on at the Cameo twice on Friday and then once a day for the next week. They've managed to wangle some extra shows.

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Cameo_Picturehouse/film/Iron_Sky/

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> One Day Cinema Releases - What's the point? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI