Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Raid

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Raid Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Raid - 24/5/2012 4:24:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I will also add that Gareth Evans seemed lke a genuinely nice bloke, really down to earth.This is judging from the interview he gave on Kermodes show last week: and he's a fan! Top stuff.

Im sure he is a nice bloke but it doesnt change the fact that i thought his movie failed to live up to the hype.Not really his fault i know and he accomplished a lot with a meager budget.Its far from one of the best action movies ever though.Heck i though Safe House was a much better actio film than this.

You have gone from "I quite liked it!" to now "Its not very good" in the space of a day. You just not liking it the more you think about it?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 31
RE: The Raid - 24/5/2012 6:23:19 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I will also add that Gareth Evans seemed lke a genuinely nice bloke, really down to earth.This is judging from the interview he gave on Kermodes show last week: and he's a fan! Top stuff.

Im sure he is a nice bloke but it doesnt change the fact that i thought his movie failed to live up to the hype.Not really his fault i know and he accomplished a lot with a meager budget.Its far from one of the best action movies ever though.Heck i though Safe House was a much better actio film than this.

You have gone from "I quite liked it!" to now "Its not very good" in the space of a day. You just not liking it the more you think about it?

"The more you think about it,the more you hate it"
That'll be/make a great tagline.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 32
RE: The Raid - 25/5/2012 2:18:28 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Nah i still kinda liked it.Just saying that it doesnt deserve the accolades of '' THE GREATEST ACTION MOVIE EVER! '' that a lot of critics are giving it.Its certainly not a five star movie and Empire comparing it to Die Hard and Hard boiled was doing the film a disservice as its nowhere near as good as those true classics.

It was a decent enough low budget chop socky action film.Nothing special really.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 33
RE: The Raid - 22/9/2012 1:30:40 PM   
Scott_

My sexy play.com steelbook arrived this morning which means tonights entertainment is sorted! Missed out on The Raid when it was released so I'm looking forward to it.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 34
RE: The Raid - 22/9/2012 1:35:22 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

My sexy play.com steelbook arrived this morning which means tonights entertainment is sorted! Missed out on The Raid when it was released so I'm looking forward to it.

You won't be disappointed.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 35
RE: The Raid - 23/9/2012 4:46:38 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 36
RE: The Raid - 23/9/2012 4:53:17 PM   
Shifty Bench

^ that is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pretty. Hope I'm getting that for my birthday or Christmas.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 37
RE: The Raid - 23/9/2012 5:06:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

^ that is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pretty. Hope I'm getting that for my birthday or Christmas.

Please tell me that whoever is buying it for you has already ordered it!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 38
RE: The Raid - 24/9/2012 9:32:35 PM   
Shifty Bench

I hope so, I told my mum about it ages ago and she usually buys presents in advance. If she didn't, I'll settle for the normal box

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 39
RE: The Raid - 24/9/2012 9:55:59 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I hope so, I told my mum about it ages ago and she usually buys presents in advance. If she didn't, I'll settle for the normal box

I hope she got you this one mate, it's a really nice steel. Even though its sold out, a couple of copies reappeared on Play today, although theyve gone now too. However the lenticular slip of the normal release is also really cool, and HMV have an exclusive that comes with a mini magazine

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 40
RE: The Raid - 27/9/2012 1:03:06 PM   
Kazuya

Fantastic flick. Seen it six times now and it's the coolest bone-crushing, adrenaline-fueled slice of mayhem I've seen in a long, long time. That bit where our hero smashes some dude's head into the wall about eight times on the way down..awesome, just awesome.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 41
RE: The Raid - 27/9/2012 2:53:13 PM   
Cool Breeze

It's not as good as Dredd.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 42
RE: The Raid - 27/9/2012 3:03:04 PM   
Kazuya

Haven't seen that yet, catching it on sunday

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 43
RE: The Raid - 27/9/2012 3:46:32 PM   
Deviation

quote:

It's not as good as Dredd.

It is, if only by the tiniest of portions.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 44
RE: The Raid - 2/10/2012 9:57:01 PM   
rich

It's dark, dirty, bloody, and the soundtrack is actually... pretty nice. It's never something like was going to blow me away, as I've seen far too many movie fight scenes (Warrior King came to mind) but it's overall a nastier experience than you'd normally expect in a martial arts action picture. There's an excess of stabbing, gouging and point blank shooting to the head. And hey, why not. They are going to remake this? Get out. Hollywood has no balls. It might be unimpressive, but it's at least visceral. After so many US action thrillers, I almost expected some shaky cams, but no such thing, backs break, blood spurts and sharp objects go right in there and scratch the wall behind a guy. One of my only real problems with it was it probably peaks too early, the initial raid, the fridge scene, the night stick/knive fight are the most memorable parts and all in the first half, but it's still an almost exhausting experience. There was also a strange horror vibe about it all, the filthy setting, the hiding in the walls part, the initial lights out scene, that light bulb. Almost a John Carpenter vibe in places, Precinct 13 but with the seige inside. Everyone looks so unhealthy, pale and sweaty. It's a grimy film and I might need a shower after watching, but still recommended. It might not have any real characters but it's at least full on where it matters for the genre despite holding no surprises.

4/5

Oh and I liked that cats thing too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_z3EBalwI4

Side notes: what happened to the Redemption subtitle? It's horrible, but I didn't see it anywhere. Also what was cut? I didn't bother watching the original version.

< Message edited by rich -- 2/10/2012 10:04:50 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 45
RE: The Raid - 8/10/2012 12:40:41 PM   
goldleader

Best action/kung fu film i have seen in years. Loved it.

Loved how it was on a low budget, with the sets looking very cheap and the acting not great. I think this all added to the charm. A remake for me would just be wrong.

And when the fight scene kicked in it was non stop fun. And i loved how brutal and how much blood and gory was used, like a real 80's action should be. And no shit shaky-cam which i hate about today's Hollywood films.

If they make a sequel hope it doesn't go to big in scale and keeps the close fighting style, and just creates some more fun packed fight scenes.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 46
RE: The Raid - 12/10/2012 2:06:36 AM   
Vidal

I don't like action movies, but i do like good movies. Is it possible to enjoy The Raid without being a fan of the genre?

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 47
RE: The Raid - 12/10/2012 2:10:14 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vidal

I don't like action movies, but i do like good movies. Is it possible to enjoy The Raid without being a fan of the genre?

Probably not, but you never know.

(in reply to Vidal)
Post #: 48
RE: The Raid - 12/10/2012 1:23:55 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

It's dark, dirty, bloody, and the soundtrack is actually... pretty nice. It's never something like was going to blow me away, as I've seen far too many movie fight scenes (Warrior King came to mind) but it's overall a nastier experience than you'd normally expect in a martial arts action picture. There's an excess of stabbing, gouging and point blank shooting to the head. And hey, why not. They are going to remake this? Get out. Hollywood has no balls. It might be unimpressive, but it's at least visceral. After so many US action thrillers, I almost expected some shaky cams, but no such thing, backs break, blood spurts and sharp objects go right in there and scratch the wall behind a guy. One of my only real problems with it was it probably peaks too early, the initial raid, the fridge scene, the night stick/knive fight are the most memorable parts and all in the first half, but it's still an almost exhausting experience. There was also a strange horror vibe about it all, the filthy setting, the hiding in the walls part, the initial lights out scene, that light bulb. Almost a John Carpenter vibe in places, Precinct 13 but with the seige inside. Everyone looks so unhealthy, pale and sweaty. It's a grimy film and I might need a shower after watching, but still recommended. It might not have any real characters but it's at least full on where it matters for the genre despite holding no surprises.

4/5

Pretty much this. You know exactly what you're getting, and that's a huge amount of carnage on a fairly nasty yet gripping scale! Need to watch for a second time, but it was such a joy to watch an action film that featured action scenes that were not stale or stilted, but actually made you wince at the impact.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 49
RE: The Raid - 12/10/2012 9:52:51 PM   
target

I actually think i enjoyed this more the second time round. I loved it the first time, but sat at home watching it on blu-ray with a few beers the other night i had a blast. The amount of times i skipped back to watch a part again was unreal.

I think it may have over taken Ong Bak as my favorite action film of all time.

I hope theres more great things to come from Gareth Evans.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 50
RE: The Raid - 12/10/2012 11:57:51 PM   
rich

I actually have it still in my Lovefilm limbo period, so I am going to watch it again before sending back next week

< Message edited by rich -- 15/10/2012 5:46:38 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to target)
Post #: 51
RE: The Raid - 15/10/2012 12:16:32 PM   
jcthefirst

This was ace.

I can't remember the last time a film made me wince.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 52
RE: The Raid - 8/11/2012 12:14:54 PM   
Invader_Ace

I was a little dissapointed.  It's good, but it certainly isn't up there with the greats.
The fights were good, but there was no one single amazing stand out piece (although the knife fight at the corridor intersection was sweet) and I thought that it failed to scale up the threat correctly.  When it got to the showdown with the Mad-Dog Guy, my friend said "Oh, I thought they would keep him for the last titanic battle".  Yeah, they did, just it doesn't feel like it is yet.

It's good and it should have a place in a martial arts collection and I will be keeping an eye out for what they do next, but it didn't blow my mind like Ong-Bak or Warrior King.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 53
RE: The Raid - 12/11/2012 1:29:53 PM   
Whistler

Finally got the blu and just watched it with lunch. Just as awesome as the first time. I also discovered that if you close your eyes during the fight scenes it's the most hilarious thing ever

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 54
RE: The Raid - 17/1/2013 4:44:55 PM   
jcthefirst

Brought this round to a friends house the other night. There were 6 of us watching it and it ranks as one of the finest movie watching experiences of my life.

"Ooooh. Ahhhhhhh. Shiiiiiiiiit" was the order of the evening.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 55
RE: The Raid - 17/1/2013 10:13:09 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace
The fights were good, but there was no one single amazing stand out piece (although the knife fight at the corridor intersection was sweet) and I thought that it failed to scale up the threat correctly.  When it got to the showdown with the Mad-Dog Guy, my friend said "Oh, I thought they would keep him for the last titanic battle".  Yeah, they did, just it doesn't feel like it is yet.

It's good and it should have a place in a martial arts collection and I will be keeping an eye out for what they do next, but it didn't blow my mind like Ong-Bak or Warrior King.

Yeah I can agree with this, like I thought after seeing it the first time the scenes in the first half are a lot better. There's nothing stand out after the drug lab, and the two-on-one show down isn't spectacular enough.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 56
RE: The Raid - 18/1/2013 9:37:41 AM   
shool

I preferred Dredd. Just saying.

Still a good movie though.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 57
RE: The Raid - 18/1/2013 11:24:33 AM   
Dannybohy

I lurved!! this movie!. Most fun ive had watching a Kung Fu movie since ong bak!. I liked Dredd much more than I thought I would, and maybe i would of liked it more if I hadn't already seen The Raid!?. Dredds `everything but a coffee maker` gun was lush!

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 18/1/2013 11:26:43 AM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 58
RE: The Raid - 29/1/2013 1:54:52 PM   
Timon

I watched the Blu Ray last night and is it just me, or is the picture quite bad? I can't be sure as I recently got a new plasma TV and I'm getting used to it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 59
RE: The Raid - 29/1/2013 1:57:32 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I watched the Blu Ray last night and is it just me, or is the picture quite bad? I can't be sure as I recently got a new plasma TV and I'm getting used to it.

It looked fine for me.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Raid Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI