Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Raid

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Raid Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Raid - 21/5/2012 12:43:44 PM   
Whistler

It's going to become a favourite film thread sooner or later, so I decided to make it sooner. It's fast, brutal, stylish, relentless, bloody, loud, and in the fight scenes you can actually see what's going on! In a word: badass

Gareth Evans talks to Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo (click)

< Message edited by Whistler -- 21/5/2012 12:47:41 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Raid - 21/5/2012 2:56:51 PM   
Cool Breeze

I liked it but didnt love it.Its rather slow to get going and the low budget really shows.I never got the sense that there was an overwhelming amount of enemies for the heroes to fight, instead it was a random collection of four or five thugs who came out to attack them.Its nowhere near action classics like Hard Boiled and Die Hard but maybe thats the fault of the hype leading up to the films release for the past few months and i expected to much.

Great hand to hand fight scenes though.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 2
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 12:34:47 AM   
Spaldron

Saw this last moth and plan to see it again when it hits general release. Amazing piece of work, probably the best action film of the last ten years.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 3
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 1:21:44 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Definitely going back to see this, definitely!

EDT:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

probably the best action film of the last ten years.

A Kermode steal much?

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 22/5/2012 1:23:05 AM >

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 4
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 1:49:13 AM   
thedrin

Saw yesterday.

I'm not a huge fan of martial arts films but this is definitely one of the better ones. Some of the fight sequences (mainly Mad Dogs) went on too long but many were superb. Loved the direction, use of the camera, the use of the environment in action sequences, and the music really drove it along.

I'm no martial artist. Can someone explain to me why characters would frequently lift opponents back onto their feet after knocking them down? Seems pretty bizarre to me, especially since every instance of this led to the recently downed fighter gaining the upper hand immediately after.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 5
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 12:18:49 PM   
Cool Breeze

I think this is one of those rare times where a hollywood remake would benefit.Give Evans a decent sized budget,some actual actors,and Shane Black to write the script and then wed be on to something.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 6
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 12:40:21 PM   
Whistler

But Evans isn't directing the remake, and I can almost guarantee that whoever does will hide most of the action behind shaky cam. The only reason it's being remade is so we don't have to read subtitles, which is utterly stupid.

Post #: 7
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 1:23:36 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

But Evans isn't directing the remake, and I can almost guarantee that whoever does will hide most of the action behind shaky cam. The only reason it's being remade is so we don't have to read subtitles, which is utterly stupid.

This...

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 8
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 3:03:05 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

OR.. to make a film that will improve upon the original since there is room for improvement.Now im not a fan of remaking great films,if theres nothing to improve upon i dont see the point ( Len Wisemans Total Recall can fuck off ).But The Raid is flawed.It lacked a decent script and decent budget to do the concept justice.Like i said,get a decent action director, a healthy budget,some good writers,a good cast and we could be on to something.

Case in point: Robert Rodriguez pretty much remade his debut El Mariachi with the far superior Desperado.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 22/5/2012 3:04:11 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 9
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 3:15:59 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

OR.. to make a film that will improve upon the original since there is room for improvement.

If you think that's the reason behind the remake, you are astonishingly naive.

quote:

Now im not a fan of remaking great films,if theres nothing to improve upon i dont see the point ( Len Wisemans Total Recall can fuck off ).

Well you see, the irony of that is the Total Recall remake is actually more credible - given Verhoeven's one was over 20 years ago & wasn't exactly faithful to Dick's story.

quote:

But The Raid is flawed.It lacked a decent script and decent budget to do the concept justice.Like i said,get a decent action director, a healthy budget,some good writers,a good cast and we could be on to something.

Your opinion, which is probably in the minority.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 22/5/2012 3:17:32 PM >

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 10
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 3:21:46 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

OR.. to make a film that will improve upon the original since there is room for improvement.

If you think that's the reason behind the remake, you are astonishingly naive.

quote:

Now im not a fan of remaking great films,if theres nothing to improve upon i dont see the point ( Len Wisemans Total Recall can fuck off ).

Well you see, the irony of that is the Total Recall remake is actually more credible - given Verhoeven's one was over 20 years ago & wasn't exactly faithful to Dick's story.

quote:

But The Raid is flawed.It lacked a decent script and decent budget to do the concept justice.Like i said,get a decent action director, a healthy budget,some good writers,a good cast and we could be on to something.

Your opinion, which is probably in the minority.

Well of course one of the main reasons for hollywood remaking anything is to make it apeal to american audiences,but in this case i have to say remaking The Raid is a good idea because it was let down by the small budget,weak script,and lacked decent actors.

As for remaking Total Recall? Unthinkable.Its over 20 years old and while it has dated its, one of Arnies best action movies.I admit im a bit biased here as i cant stand Colin Farrell.

Whether my opinion is in the minority or not,i couldnt care less.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 11
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 3:38:17 PM   
st3veebee

Seeing it tonight.

CANNOT WAIT.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 12
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 4:28:08 PM   
Rgirvan44

What was weak about the script?
What was bad about the acting?
Why would you need a bigger budget for a movie designed for low budget filmmaking?

It sounds like you want a totally different film, with the same basic plot, Breeze - maybe Dredd will give you that?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 13
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 5:12:13 PM   
st3veebee

I will also add that Gareth Evans seemed lke a genuinely nice bloke, really down to earth.This is judging from the interview he gave on Kermodes show last week: and he's a fan! Top stuff.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 14
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 5:13:27 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

It sounds like you want a totally different film, with the same basic plot, Breeze - maybe Dredd will give you that?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 7:35:45 PM   
thedrin

Don't understand why this film needed a bigger budget. It's not a perfect film but the flaws aren't down to an insufficient budget.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 16
RE: The Raid - 22/5/2012 8:00:12 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I will also add that Gareth Evans seemed lke a genuinely nice bloke, really down to earth.This is judging from the interview he gave on Kermodes show last week: and he's a fan! Top stuff.

He did a Q & A session in Manchester last week at a preview of the film and yes, I very much agree.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 17
RE: The Raid - 23/5/2012 11:50:51 AM   
st3veebee

Saw it last night and I am defintely a fan. It goes right alongside Avengers as most entertaining film this year. Did I hear correctly in that this is Iko's first acting performance? He did a great job and bloody hell, he can hit fast.

Also the moment when one of the nameless bad guys fell off one level on to the edge of the bannister (?) causing his back to snap made everyone in the cinema wince in unison. "ooh" Same goes for the poor chap who met the broken door. KO

Fantastic stuff!

Latest Films:

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 18
RE: The Raid - 23/5/2012 12:04:46 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Saw it last night and I am defintely a fan. It goes right alongside Avengers as most entertaining film this year. Did I hear correctly in that this is Iko's first acting performance? He did a great job and bloody hell, he can hit fast.

2nd. He's already made one film with Gareth Evans.

Merentau

quote:

Also the moment when one of the nameless bad guys fell off one level on to the edge of the bannister (?) causing his back to snap made everyone in the cinema wince in unison. "ooh" Same goes for the poor chap who met the broken door. KO

Fantastic stuff!

For all the brutality in the film that's the one that sticks in the mind for me as well, it's the sound effect that sells it IMO.

Great film.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 23/5/2012 12:15:02 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 19
RE: The Raid - 23/5/2012 3:01:01 PM   
darthbane

quote:

Fantastic stuff!

Absolutely! I also winced at the part where Rama grabs a bad guys kicking leg, slams a knife into the top, then drags the blade all the way down! Fuckin ouch!!!!

An amazing action movie, I was really surprised by just how brutal the hero could be at times. I'm sure there'll be a shaky cam, 12A remake to come

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 20
RE: The Raid - 23/5/2012 3:25:55 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

I'm sure there'll be a shaky cam, 12A remake to come

Starring Taylor Kitsch and directed by Brett Ratner.

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 21
RE: The Raid - 23/5/2012 3:39:31 PM   
MonsterCat

Let them remake it. You'll always have the original.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 22
RE: The Raid - 23/5/2012 3:43:44 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Oh MC, you should know by now that logic is to the internet what your mum is to the eradication of Herpes.

For example Seven Samurai has been absolutely RUINED for me today after the news that Tom Cruise is attached to a reimagining of the reimagining.

RUINED I tells ya.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 23/5/2012 5:21:44 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 23
RE: The Raid - 24/5/2012 12:13:23 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Evans' response to a question about how he would feel if they did remake it: "Well, I'm an executive producer on the US remake!". I have to say he seems to be very pragmatic and even positive about it (some of the fee for the remake is going to the sequel's budget, the original has had a great run in the US already anyway etc).

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 24
RE: The Raid - 24/5/2012 11:45:15 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

Evans' response to a question about how he would feel if they did remake it: "Well, I'm an executive producer on the US remake!". I have to say he seems to be very pragmatic and even positive about it (some of the fee for the remake is going to the sequel's budget, the original has had a great run in the US already anyway etc).

Yeah he seemed to be positive about in the Kermode & Mayo interview because it would give him & his original more exposure.

Still, just out of protest, I'll give the remake a miss.

Looking forward to the sequel though, I wonder where all the residents will relocate?

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 25
RE: The Raid - 24/5/2012 11:52:43 AM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah he seemed to be positive about in the Kermode & Mayo interview because it would give him & his original more exposure.

Looking forward to the sequel though, I wonder where all the residents will relocate?

He said he found it flattering, which I guess it would be if it was your movie getting remade, but I still don't agree with it. I was even surprised to hear he's doing a sequel, but I could actually go for that.

Post #: 26
RE: The Raid - 24/5/2012 12:00:58 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He said he found it flattering, which I guess it would be if it was your movie getting remade, but I still don't agree with it. I was even surprised to hear he's doing a sequel, but I could actually go for that.

Yeah. I mean, it is essentially a film with little more than brilliantly choreographed fight scenes so doing a sequel (on a possible grander scale) is absolutely fine with me. The plot is solid & perfectly decent, but lets be honest, it's not what inspired the creation of this thread in the first place.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 24/5/2012 12:01:34 PM >

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27
RE: The Raid - 24/5/2012 12:20:49 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah. I mean, it is essentially a film with little more than brilliantly choreographed fight scenes so doing a sequel (on a possible grander scale) is absolutely fine with me. The plot is solid & perfectly decent, but lets be honest, it's not what inspired the creation of this thread in the first place.

Aw hell no, hence this little guy:

Post #: 28
RE: The Raid - 24/5/2012 2:55:34 PM   
darthbane

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Aw hell no, hence this little guy:

I think a sequel could be quite difficult as more of the same would probably not be any improvement on the original, and a grander scale could fall into the Chronicles of Riddick trap. While CoR is not a bad film, its not a patch on the smaller, tighter Pitch Black.
As for a remake, not all of them are bad. I draw your attention to The Departed, a remake of Infernal Affairs or the Coens, True Grit. I think the problem with most remakes is that they're generally noted for being sub-par horrors by Platinum Dunes, or unnecessary remakes of classic american movies. I believe that a good remake needs strong, committed actors/director, and a desire to stick to the core values of the original, in the case if The Raid, extreme violence and full on action.

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 29
RE: The Raid - 24/5/2012 4:16:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Im sure he is a nice bloke but it doesnt change the fact that i thought his movie failed to live up to the hype.Not really his fault i know and he accomplished a lot with a meager budget.Its far from one of the best action movies ever though.Heck i though Safe House was a much better actio film than this.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Raid Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI