Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The 'Smart' Blockbuster

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The 'Smart' Blockbuster Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 4:19:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

What makes a smart blockbuster? I hear this expression bandied around every summer when or two movies seemingly try to buck the trend and become a smart of intelligent blockbuster. I remember saying on these forums many years ago that there is no such thing as an intelligent movie. I said it tongue in cheek, but i was looking for the evidence of when a movie is stupid and when a movie is intelligent. When does something stop being dumb and become smart? In the summer climate it's always nice to have a movie that has a bit more going on than just FX and action etc (although i'm more than happy just to get that!). With the big successes of movies like Inception (a movie that surely in a lot of peoples opinions hold the crown for the 'smart' blockbuster) surely that proves that audiences want a well thought out blockbuster, or something that is trying to be a bit more.

I recall last year a lot of people saying that Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a smart blockbuster. Now i disagree with this (although i loved the movie) as it seemed pretty dopey in places and required some huge leaps of logic. So what does a blockbuster movie have to do to get this kind of label? Was Sherlock Holmes a 'smart' blockbuster? Is Spiderman 2? Is The Avengers a smart movie because it has an intelligent director behind it? What movies qualify for this label and why? I know my own opinions on it but really want to gauge what people think and why certain movies get this label.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!
Post #: 1
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 5:09:43 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I recall last year a lot of people saying that Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a smart blockbuster. Now i disagree with this (although i loved the movie) as it seemed pretty dopey in places and required some huge leaps of logic.

What made it cleverer than most wasn't the plot itself, the Apes franchise was always a tad silly even at its most political, it was what it dealt with. ROTPOTA dealt with what could be seen as a story about freedom, slavery and oppression and some notions of humanity, while not forgetting to show apes riding horses while throwing nets at policemen.

For example, The Avengers is pretty formulaic but also very well made and clever, however the only scene that could be said of being really smart was the part where the group are discussing diverging politics before the attack on Fury's flying ship.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 5:26:42 PM   
Super Hans

With films like Inception, I suppose you'd call it smart because you actually have to concentrate if you want to follow what's going on, but it still ticks all the action/effects boxes.

Regarding Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I 'd say the fact that it's a little more thoughful than many summer blockbusters, with the apes themselves well characterised rather than being just robotic plot devices (well, the main ones anyway).

Again, Spider-Man 2 was fairly thoughful, with a a decent amount of character conflict and a good villain who wan't just a 2 dimensional goon.

I suppose it's hard to pin down what exactly makes a blockbuster 'smart' as I'm not sure it necessarily means complex a'la Inception, but basically anything with a bit of artistic merit.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 3
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 6:47:14 PM   
Hood_Man

Anything that defies expectations I suppose.

[EDIT]

In a positive way you finnicky nitpicky fruitloops!

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 20/5/2012 6:50:13 PM >

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 4
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 6:48:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

So how about a movie that everyone thought was going to be good but turns out to be awful? Surely not!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 6:49:41 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I recall last year a lot of people saying that Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a smart blockbuster. Now i disagree with this (although i loved the movie) as it seemed pretty dopey in places and required some huge leaps of logic.

What made it cleverer than most wasn't the plot itself, the Apes franchise was always a tad silly even at its most political, it was what it dealt with. ROTPOTA dealt with what could be seen as a story about freedom, slavery and oppression and some notions of humanity, while not forgetting to show apes riding horses while throwing nets at policemen.

I agree with this, it took the route that ensured that the movie didnt come out 'trashy' for want of a better word. Does that however make the movie in itself smart, or is that just a smart move by the filmmakers?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 6:50:36 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

So how about a movie that everyone thought was going to be good but turns out to be awful? Surely not!

See edit...

Post #: 7
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 6:59:04 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

See edit...

So how about a comedy then? Everyone thinks its going to be rubbish but it turns out to be really funny. Doesn't make it an intelligent movie!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 8
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 7:08:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with this, it took the route that ensured that the movie didnt come out 'trashy' for want of a better word. Does that however make the movie in itself smart, or is that just a smart move by the filmmakers?

Well, a smart move by the filmmakers is shown in the end product, so it makes it a smart film.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 9
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 7:31:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, a smart move by the filmmakers is shown in the end product, so it makes it a smart film.

That can't be always true though can it? I mean smart casting does not in itself make a smart movie for example.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 7:51:35 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

See edit...

So how about a comedy then? Everyone thinks its going to be rubbish but it turns out to be really funny. Doesn't make it an intelligent movie!

Sure it does. Comedy is one of the hardest things to get right, and if it makes you laugh then there has to be a degree of intelligence behind it, an understanding of situations make people laugh and how to get the most out of it. I don't understand this concept of "dumb comedy," if there's a lack of thought that's gone into something (or not as the case may be) it won't work.

For a character example, Captain Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean is someone who defies expectations. Far from being the typical Disney villain who simply wants gold/riches/power/revenge etc, here is someone who is articulate, intelligent, and in his own way, merciful. Two of his stand out moments for me are "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request," and the first blood ritual where instead of slitting Elizabeth's throat he grabs her, cuts her hand, and in response to her surprise quips "Waste not!"

The same goes for the first Spider-Man movie too. As entertaining as Willem Dafoe is in his dual role of Norman Osborn and the Green Goblin, it's Osborn's dying words that stayed with me afterwards. A "dumb" scriptwriter might simply kill him off and move on, maybe have a funeral scene at the end where everyone looks upset, but ultimately everyone forgets what's happened because "Spider-Man's the star," but here they take the care to remember that, despite the horrific crimes this man has committed, and despite the monster he has become, inside he's still a scared, broken, remorseful father who loves his son and doesn't want him to know the truth. "Peter... don't tell Harry" packs a punch.

Iron Man for instance did no such thing when Obadiah, Tony Stark's long term friend and father figure, was killed at the end of the movie. Sure, he died trying to kill Tony, but a moments madness doesn't erase decades of memories, and it bugs me that everyone is all smiles and ad-libbed banter at the end. Downey Jnr doesn't need to be sitting in an arm chair blubbing over a photo of Jeff Bridges, one quick line and a sympathetic look from Gwyneth Paltrow before attending the press conference is all it would take to acknowledge this.

"Defying expectations" doesn't only account for "I thought it would be bad, it turned out to be good," it covers all bases, much in the same way that there isn't one reason why a Blockbuster is intelligent or not.

Post #: 11
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:01:42 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

See edit...

Sure it does. Comedy is one of the hardest things to get right, and if it makes you laugh then there has to be a degree of intelligence behind it, an understanding of situations make people laugh and how to get the most out of it. I don't understand this concept of "dumb comedy," if there's a lack of thought that's gone into something (or not as the case may be) it won't work.

For a character example, Captain Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean is someone who defies expectations. Far from being the typical Disney villain who simply wants gold/riches/power/revenge etc, here is someone who is articulate, intelligent, and in his own way, merciful. Two of his stand out moments for me are "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request," and the first blood ritual where instead of slitting Elizabeth's throat he grabs her, cuts her hand, and in response to her surprise quips "Waste not!"

The same goes for the first Spider-Man movie too. As entertaining as Willem Dafoe is in his dual role of Norman Osborn and the Green Goblin, it's Osborn's dying words that stayed with me afterwards. A "dumb" scriptwriter might simply kill him off and move on, maybe have a funeral scene at the end where everyone looks upset, but ultimately everyone forgets what's happened because "Spider-Man's the star," but here they take the care to remember that, despite the horrific crimes this man has committed, and despite the monster he has become, inside he's still a scared, broken, remorseful father who loves his son and doesn't want him to know the truth. "Peter... don't tell Harry" packs a punch.

Iron Man for instance did no such thing when Obadiah, Tony Stark's long term friend and father figure, was killed at the end of the movie. Sure, he died trying to kill Tony, but a moments madness doesn't erase decades of memories, and it bugs me that everyone is all smiles and ad-libbed banter at the end. Downey Jnr doesn't need to be sitting in an arm chair blubbing over a photo of Jeff Bridges, one quick line and a sympathetic look from Gwyneth Paltrow before attending the press conference is all it would take to acknowledge this.

"Defying expectations" doesn't only account for "I thought it would be bad, it turned out to be good," it covers all bases, much in the same way that there isn't one reason why a Blockbuster is intelligent or not.

Great post Hood Man, a lot of good points in there. I think we disagree in that i think the examples you have cited are examples of smart moves by the filmmakers rather than making the movies that these bits are in smart, if that makes sense. A dumb (but good) movie made by smart people is a good thing, even if we dont get a smart movie from it.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 20/5/2012 8:02:14 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 12
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:14:57 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Great post Hood Man, a lot of good points in there. I think we disagree in that i think the examples you have cited are examples of smart moves by the filmmakers rather than making the movies that these bits are in smart, if that makes sense. A dumb (but good) movie made by smart people is a good thing, even if we dont get a smart movie from it.

Thanks, I thought I'd better make more of an effort, my first post was a bit blunt

I understand what you're saying, I'm happy to agree to disagree

Post #: 13
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:20:30 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That can't be always true though can it? I mean smart casting does not in itself make a smart movie for example.

Erm...the element of what is considered "smart film" is how it works on the whole rather than just one part. I think this is obvious.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 14
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:26:31 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Erm...the element of what is considered "smart film" is how it works on the whole rather than just one part. I think this is obvious.

But what i was trying to say that is if the only good thing about a movie is its cast (just for example) then that alone does not make the movie as a whole 'smart', even if the casting was intelligent. You said a smart move by the filmmakers is shown in the end product, so it makes a smart film. I don't think that's 100% true if, for example the casting was the only smart thing about a movie. That in itself doesn't make the whole movie an intelligent movie.

Not wanting to digress to much here or turn this into too much of a back and forth as i definitely see what you're saying. I just dont think one or two (or even a few more) smart decisions by filmmakers automatically equal an intelligent movie.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 15
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:27:58 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

Thanks, I thought I'd better make more of an effort, my first post was a bit blunt

I understand what you're saying, I'm happy to agree to disagree

Ha, fair enough. I'm genuinely interested in the reasons in general between some movies getting the smart label and some not. Many times it can be crystal clear (Inception or Catwoman, which one is smart, which one is dumb?) other times it seems to be a big grey area for my understanding.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:30:00 PM   
Cool Breeze

Any film that is directed by Michael Bay = Dumb.

Any film directed by Christopher Nolan = Smart.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 17
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:32:21 PM   
Deviation

quote:

But what i was trying to say that is if the only good thing about a movie is its cast (just for example) then that alone does not make the movie as a whole 'smart', even if the casting was intelligent. You said a smart move by the filmmakers is shown in the end product, so it makes a smart film. I don't think that's 100% true if, for example the casting was the only smart thing about a movie. That in itself doesn't make the whole movie an intelligent movie.

But nobody considers as just one element of the film that as intelligent, hence, making this film "an intelligent film". It tends to be more varied and complex than that. This is pretty much a point that doesn't need to be discussed because it is clear by itself.

ROTPOTA wasn't considered smart by some because of one part but because of many elements working together effectively that go over its flaws, like the characterization and presentation of the apes, the relationship between Franco and Caesar, the emotional connection it created, the aforementioned themes etc...

quote:

quote:

Post #: 18
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:32:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

well i can't ask for a more to the point response than that!

However can i dare argue that The Rock is a fairly smart dumb movie (if such a thing can exist), as the villain character played by Ed Harris has some pretty complex issues and motivations and certainly is not your typical villain. Going by what Hood Man posted above, that would be a clear example of smart thinking going into the creation of a character.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 19
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:34:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

But nobody considers as just one element of the film that as intelligent, hence, making this film "an intelligent film". It tends to be more varied and complex than that. This is pretty much a point that doesn't need to be discussed because it is clear by itself.

ROTPOTA wasn't considered smart by some because of one part but because of many elements working together effectively that go over its flaws, like the characterization and presentation of the apes, the relationship between Franco and Caesar, the emotional connection it created, the aforementioned themes etc...

I totally agree with you dev, and agree its not a simple issue but a complex one.

I also agree that ROTPOTA had some smart elements, but they were side by side with some very dopey ones, making ROTPOTA an oddity for me when it gets labelled an intelligent blockbuster. To me it seems equal parts smart equal parts dumb in a way.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 20
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:38:59 PM   
Deviation

It's more that it knew how to strike a balance, on one note it deals with a very serious issue, on another, ape riding a horse fighting policemen.

Take Verhoeven, Starship Troopers, Total Recall or Robocop on the surface they look goofy and silly, under the surface you find some very intelligent and complex themes going on which use the silliness in their advantage. For that alone, they are very smart movies, or films, or moving pictures.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 21
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:40:31 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

It's more that it knew how to strike a balance, on one note it deals with a very serious issue, on another, ape riding a horse fighting policemen.

Take Verhoeven, Starship Troopers, Total Recall or Robocop on the surface they look goofy and silly, under the surface you find some very intelligent and complex themes going on which use the silliness in their advantage. For that alone, they are very smart movies, or films, or moving pictures.

well i'm in total agreeance with you on all those points dev!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 22
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:48:51 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

However can i dare argue that The Rock is a fairly smart dumb movie (if such a thing can exist), as the villain character played by Ed Harris has some pretty complex issues and motivations and certainly is not your typical villain. Going by what Hood Man posted above, that would be a clear example of smart thinking going into the creation of a character.

The Rock is the exception to the rule as its the only decent film that Bay has made in my opinion.It had a great cast,a great script, and was tons of fun.He got lucky on that one.Every thing hes done since has been utter pish.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 23
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:54:19 PM   
Rgirvan44

By the by dumb blockbusters are also hard to get right - for every Commando there is twenty Red Scorpians (yes I am aware some of you here will defend that one).

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 24
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:54:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Rock is the exception to the rule as its the only decent film that Bay has made in my opinion.It had a great cast,a great script, and was tons of fun.He got lucky on that one.Every thing hes done since has been utter pish.

I also agree that it's the only movie he's made that can be considered 'smart' in any capacity!

Post #: 25
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 8:56:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

Come now - The Rock is fun, well made, and some great quips (provided by Aaron Sorkin!) but it is as dumb as a bag of hammers. But there is nothing wrong with that!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 26
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 20/5/2012 9:06:04 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

By the by dumb blockbusters are also hard to get right - for every Commando there is twenty Red Scorpians (yes I am aware some of you here will defend that one).

Just posting to register as a defender of Red Scorpion

Although yes, its very dumb!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 22/5/2012 11:13:29 AM   
Qwerty Norris

For me, my interpretation of a smart blockbuster is a film with a plot that requires you to pay attention (Inception) or has a number of interesting thematics going on that can either be attributed to the world we live in, or just have ones that are fascinating to think about (i.e. again with Inception, the fact that Cobb's personal demons regarding his dead wife are made flesh as the antagonist).

That essentially is why I consider myself to be a Nolan fanboy, as for me, he delivers spectacle & substance to a style of film that many who practice on a similar scale don't bother with.

And when I say 'pay attention' I don't mean 'hard to follow'. I mean something like 'go to the toilet or play with your mobile phone at your peril.'

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 28
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 22/5/2012 1:09:56 PM   
UTB

For me, an intelligent blockbuster is a film which is sold as a big event film but for which the plot has been thought about meticulously in order to develop the characters and situations in the film rather than just using them as a tool to get from set piece to set piece - an organic plot, if you like.

A good example of this would be Source Code. The idea - a man inhabits someone else's body to find a bomber, is a relatively simple plot that could have been shot entirely differently and in a less intelligent manor. Instead, the characters are fleshed out not only in a way to further the plot, but to engage the audience and make you sympathise with them, almost turning what is essentially an action movie into a drama with action in it. And the ability to do that, to engage as well as grip, is in my mind, a sign of an 'intelligent' film.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 29
RE: The 'Smart' Blockbuster - 22/5/2012 1:35:15 PM   
Spaldron

A smart film is any film that doesn't treat its audience like idiots.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The 'Smart' Blockbuster Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI