My next phone?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> My next phone? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My next phone? - 18/5/2012 7:04:21 PM   
The Hooded Man

I have a Blackberry but fancy a change, what would you recommend as the best phone out there?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.
Post #: 1
RE: My next phone? - 18/5/2012 7:33:41 PM   
Super Hans

Can't really recommend based on ownership as I downgraded to a Blackberry curve to save money. However, my brother-i-law has the new HTC One X, which is pretty damn nice. From reading reviews, sounds like a serious contender to the iPhone - and that was in gadget mags that generally won't rate anything above an Apple product. iPhone itself is always an obvious option too!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 2
RE: My next phone? - 22/5/2012 9:35:30 AM   
Sleazy

I have an Iphone 4 but am due an upgrade this week. Am seriously thinking about dropping Apple and going for the Samsung Galaxy s3. Its out next week and looks the business.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 3
RE: My next phone? - 22/5/2012 10:41:54 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm thinking the same, but still keeping my Iphone 4 as well....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 4
RE: My next phone? - 22/5/2012 10:44:27 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I'm due for an upgrade in 5 weeks and I'm stuck on what to go for myself. I had set my heart on the Nokia Lumia 800 Windows phone, mainly due to the seemingly indestructible nature of it as I have 2 young kids, but Microsoft's app pricing has put me off a bit. I'm not paying for a phone so the Galaxy S3 is out of the question and the S2 looks a bit too flimsy (due to the aforementioned kids thinking my phone and a frisbee serve the same purpose). I have no interest in an iPhone either.

Any suggestions?

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 22/5/2012 10:45:25 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 5
RE: My next phone? - 22/5/2012 3:36:17 PM   
Sleazy

Galaxy S3 is available free on certain networks.

Free and 31 a month with Vodaphone for example.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 6
RE: My next phone? - 22/5/2012 3:59:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

That offer isn't available to me as an upgrade, I think it's for new customers only. If I wanted to stay on my current package (26 p.m) the phone would cost me 149 or 89 if I upgrade to the 31 p.m. tariff over 18 months. I have absolutely no intention of increasing my tariff (I don't get near my limit on my current one) and I'm certainly not paying 150 for one despite how kick arse (yet still worryingly flimsy) it's meant to be.

Edit: This post wasn't meant to be as aggresive as it comes across. In fact it wasn't meant to be aggresive at all, just stating that the S3 is off the table as far as my options go.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 23/5/2012 12:31:56 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 7
RE: My next phone? - 23/5/2012 10:48:31 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I've decided to stop being impatient and just wait for the iPhone 5

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 8
RE: My next phone? - 23/5/2012 10:58:30 AM   
UTB

Galaxy S3 for me. I have the S2 (which isn't flimsy at all - though compared to the beast of the iPhone 4 I can see why it might be seen as that) and its excellent.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 9
RE: My next phone? - 24/5/2012 3:33:17 AM   
vad3r

The successor to the Galaxy Note.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 10
RE: My next phone? - 24/5/2012 10:29:21 AM   
Sleazy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

That offer isn't available to me as an upgrade, I think it's for new customers only. If I wanted to stay on my current package (26 p.m) the phone would cost me 149 or 89 if I upgrade to the 31 p.m. tariff over 18 months. I have absolutely no intention of increasing my tariff (I don't get near my limit on my current one) and I'm certainly not paying 150 for one despite how kick arse (yet still worryingly flimsy) it's meant to be.

Edit: This post wasn't meant to be as aggresive as it comes across. In fact it wasn't meant to be aggresive at all, just stating that the S3 is off the table as far as my options go.

That sucks. I always make sure to do some research before upgrading and then demand that they match the best new customer price out there, if they refuse I play hardball and tell them to cancel, by the time you reach their retentions team they always submit.

Post #: 11
RE: My next phone? - 24/5/2012 11:07:26 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

That sucks. I always make sure to do some research before upgrading and then demand that they match the best new customer price out there, if they refuse I play hardball and tell them to cancel, by the time you reach their retentions team they always submit.

Yeah I might try the old "fuck you then" bluff on them to see where it gets me. The S3 does look like a nice bit of kit but I've also fancied the Nexus or the HTC One, neither of which are currently available on a free upgrade.

I've got till the end of next month to go till my upgrade though so I'll see what the situation is then before I make a decision. The only problem I have is that I can't really fuck Vodafone off as they're the only network worth a damn round my way so if they did call my bluff I'd only end up having to go through the hassle of signing up with them again anyway.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 12
RE: My next phone? - 25/5/2012 11:00:45 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I upgraded from a Nokia E7-00 to the Samsung Galaxy S3, but I did it through Phones4U. I got the phone for free on a 31 contract (which is cheaper than what I'm on now) with 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of data a month. It was supposed to be a 41 contract but they were doing a deal. So it's worth asking them- and maybe Carphone Warehouse- what they can do for you.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 13
RE: My next phone? - 26/5/2012 11:12:28 AM   
HIM

I have the Samsung Galaxy SII and absolutely love it, so I say go for Galaxy S3.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 14
RE: My next phone? - 31/5/2012 10:15:47 AM   
Sleazy

I went for the Samsung Note in the end. The gorgeous 5.3" HD screen was the decider, I spend an hour on the bus to and from work every day so thats gonna come into its own there.

Waited around yesterday all excited for it to turn up, which it finally did at 6pm. When I opened it the sods hadnt sent the new SIM, they know I currently used an Iphone 4 so should have known the microsim wouldnt fit the note.

In a moment which is one of teh proudest of my life and can only be likened to an holy mix of McGuyver and Batman I made myself a sim adaptor by cutting a sim shape out of an old credit card - and it worked!

Am now loving my Note, I can see why some people would be put off by the size but then thats the point, if you want a big screen you are gonna get a big phone.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 15
RE: My next phone? - 31/5/2012 4:02:47 PM   
st3veebee

Workmate knows his smartphones inside out and says Samsung Galaxies are leagues ahead at the minute.

I have the oldest one and still love it (no complaints whatsoever) and am getting the s3 next.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 16
RE: My next phone? - 3/7/2012 9:25:27 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Decided on the Galaxy Note in the end and I should be receiving it today. I did have my heart set on a Nokia Lumia 900 Windows phone but seeing as there's no upgrade path from Windows 7.5 to 8 then Microsoft can fuck right off. Also there was no chance of me getting the S3 as a free handset on my current tariff so I went for the most recently released phone that I could. I've had a look at a display model of the Note and I reckon I can live with the size as a trade off for that screen. If not I've got a week to change my mind.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 17
RE: My next phone? - 3/7/2012 10:46:57 AM   
Sleazy

Nice one Harry, let me know how you get on, am still loving mine, have noticed battery isnt brilliant, apparently this gets better over time.

Was watching TNA on the bus today, looked fantastic.

Post #: 18
RE: My next phone? - 3/7/2012 1:32:53 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Well it arrived about an hour ago. After a quick play I reckon I'm going to love this after a shitty Android experience with my last phone (Sony Ericsson XPeria X10 Mini Pro). It's fucking mahoosive though, I reckon the display model I saw was smaller than the phone actually is in reality, I'm going to have to buy a decent hardcase for it pronto because I'm frightened it'll snap in my pocket (plus I went to protect the magnificent screen).

Happy with my decision so far though, the stylus was a big thing for me because I think the concept of smearing your fingerprints all over your viewing surface is fucking ridiculous.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 19
RE: My next phone? - 3/7/2012 7:07:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Anyone know why Vodafone haven't rolled out the Ice Cream Sandwich update for the Galaxy Note yet? I'm considering a manual update but I don't really want to brick my phone on the day of purchase.

Edit: Ignore the above, I just managed to upgrade using Kies Air. What a ffaff.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 3/7/2012 7:52:12 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 20
RE: My next phone? - 13/7/2012 12:44:35 PM   
big dawg

I'm due my upgrade in 6 weeks, currently got the Galaxy S2 which I do like and it has withstood some heavy drops and falls over the past 18 months and hardly has a mark on it. Sorely tempted to go for the S3 as I think the Note just looks a tad to big for carrying around in my pocket ( and I am not an owner of a man bag ). The HTC One X thingamy looks good too. I am still resisting making the switch to iphone

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 21
RE: My next phone? - 13/7/2012 1:47:35 PM   
Harry Tuttle

If I could have got an S3 on a free upgrade then I would've gone for that. I'm absolutely thrilled with my Note though, it's amazing. It is a bit on the bulky side but it tends to fit in most of my jeans pockets, and that's with a leather case that's bulked it up a bit more. The S3 isn't that much smaller anyway to be honest. It has a 4.8 inch screen whereas the Note's is 5.3 inches.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> My next phone? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI