Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Facebook floatation

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Facebook floatation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 2:56:03 PM   
donethinking

Just witnessed the live 'countdown' to facebook going public on BBC news.....everyone frothing at the mouth hailing their leader Mark fuckerburg to the most nauseatingly WEIRD music ive ever heard....utterly bizzare.

Watched some of zuckerburgs BBC interview the other day too, he was going on about how great some new developments in facebook were, trying to convince everyone its what they need and want...it was painfully obvious that it was all just an act, all hes interested in is becoming more powerful and making more money. He wont be happy until he's taken over the world..

every grinning picture of him says ' i cant believe i'm getting away with this shit'

i want facebook to die, i want the whole world to boycott the fucking thing,

i want zuckerburg's grin wiped off his fucking face
Post #: 1
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 2:58:08 PM   
MonsterCat

oh hai eduardo saverin.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 2
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 2:58:51 PM   
Woger

I expect any ordianry punters who throw a load of cash into this to get burned. Cue lot's of "other people made me do it".

< Message edited by Woger -- 18/5/2012 2:59:27 PM >

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 3
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 4:01:57 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: donethinking

Just witnessed the live 'countdown' to facebook going public on BBC news.....everyone frothing at the mouth hailing their leader Mark fuckerburg to the most nauseatingly WEIRD music ive ever heard....utterly bizzare.

Watched some of zuckerburgs BBC interview the other day too, he was going on about how great some new developments in facebook were, trying to convince everyone its what they need and want...it was painfully obvious that it was all just an act, all hes interested in is becoming more powerful and making more money. He wont be happy until he's taken over the world..

every grinning picture of him says ' i cant believe i'm getting away with this shit'

Ok....

I'm inclined to think that never has a post and a users name suited each other before...

Out of interest why the hate for Mark Zuckerberg or Facebook for that matter?

I use it quite a bit, I keep in contact with friends and family whom otherwise might have slipped out of my daily life whats wrong with that?

Also, do you think Zuckerberg is going to try and convince everyone that they dont't need the new developments?...I mean really?

And Zuckerberg only being interested in making money, I doubt that is all he is into but shock horror a business man who wants to make money. Now don't freak out but just to let you know that the Pope is Catholic and it's just been revealed that bears do indeed shit in the woods...

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 4
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 4:07:42 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

oh hai eduardo saverin.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 5
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 4:08:14 PM   
jonson

Personally I hope it all blows up in their faces. I can't see how they will keep the shareholders happy.
Advertising will not work on Facebook, and the number of people signing up has dwindled, so how are they going to increase the profits needed?
And can someone please tell the bloke who owns it to dress a bit more seriously.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 6
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 4:33:21 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

quote:

Ok....

I'm inclined to think that never has a post and a users name suited each other before...

I use it quite a bit, I keep in contact with friends and family whom otherwise might have slipped out of my daily life whats wrong with that?

Also, do you think Zuckerberg is going to try and convince everyone that they dont't need the new developments?...I mean really?

And Zuckerberg only being interested in making money, I doubt that is all he is into but shock horror a business man who wants to make money. Now don't freak out but just to let you know that the Pope is Catholic and it's just been revealed that bears do indeed shit in the woods...

your inclined to think ?
btw what did zuckerberg call facebook users?....thats right dumb fucks.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 7
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 4:38:27 PM   
Rhubarb

Are you annoyed because he's been a huge success?

Mind you i was watching that thing on bbc news and it was a bit like...get on with it. I don't wish him any harm, I think its interesting how established FB is now in a online world where nothing really sits still for very long.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 8
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 4:39:21 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

That. Is. Awesome.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 9
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 4:44:29 PM   
steffols

I wonder how many peoples opinions of Zuckerberg have been formed by The Social Network and the less than flattering light it shined on him.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 10
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 8:03:18 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

quote:

Ok....

your inclined to think ?
btw what did zuckerberg call facebook users?....thats right dumb fucks.

I'm still at a loss at why you appear to hate Facebook so much?

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 11
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 9:03:48 PM   
adambatman82

I'm not a fan of Facebook myself (I use it to keep in touch with old friends and family who I don't really see), but I do think what he's done is pretty impressive. I was reading earlier today how the site only needs to make 10 cents in advertising revenue from every user per year, so engineering profit ought not be that difficult (every time you check your own Facebook around 1.5pence in ad-revenue is generated). Good for him/them.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 12
RE: Facebook floatation - 18/5/2012 10:00:35 PM   
King_Bard

quote:

Wow.

Hating someone for being successful. Clever.

Post #: 13
RE: Facebook floatation - 19/5/2012 11:48:04 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Advertising will not work on Facebook,

What's your argument for this? Surely the fact that Facebook can use the information you have voluntarily given it to tailor advertising to your specific person, making it infinitely easier for advertisers to target the people who will be interested in their product, which incentivises investment in Facebook advertising.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 14
RE: Facebook floatation - 19/5/2012 11:55:37 AM   
Russ Whitfield

Yeah, but I'm sure there'll be a Facebook campaign about it featuring "humorous" slogans (that shit is really getting on my fucking tits) telling the Facebook chiefs that "we the users" don't want more advertising.

I think the current advertising is pretty discreet and I'm guessing that the concern will be that the new advertising will be really in your face and "force" you to agree to this app or that app accessing your information in order to see XYZ.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 15
RE: Facebook floatation - 19/5/2012 12:14:47 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

What's your argument for this? Surely the fact that Facebook can use the information you have voluntarily given it to tailor advertising to your specific person, making it infinitely easier for advertisers to target the people who will be interested in their product, which incentivises investment in Facebook advertising.

Yeah, I understand how it could work, but I don't think Facebook is the right medium. People will get pissed off, I'm sure they will feature an opt-out somehow.
I'm only an infrequent FB user to be honest, but if I start to be bombarded with adverts I'll soon knock it on the head. Am I right in saying that General Motors have already stopped advertising with FB as it has not been cost effective?

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 16
RE: Facebook floatation - 19/5/2012 12:28:17 PM   
adambatman82

I have a feeling that "Facebook" is going to develop further and further in to an outright medium as opposed to a simple website in the near future. Web users will download it in the same way that they download Firefox,Chrome or an app on a phone. It'll run its own search engine, and we've already seen hints at the marketplace style eco-system that its building (film rentals, apps within Facebook, games etc).

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 17
RE: Facebook floatation - 19/5/2012 12:31:01 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I understand how it could work, but I don't think Facebook is the right medium. People will get pissed off, I'm sure they will feature an opt-out somehow.
I'm only an infrequent FB user to be honest, but if I start to be bombarded with adverts I'll soon knock it on the head. Am I right in saying that General Motors have already stopped advertising with FB as it has not been cost effective?

You would be right about GM, but that came at the same time as Ford announcing they were stepping up their advertising relationship with FB because they felt it was, so, you know, horses for courses and all that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 18
RE: Facebook floatation - 23/5/2012 3:53:29 PM   
Woger

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/facebooks-zuckerberg-sued-by-shareholders-over-launch-3117383.html

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 19
RE: Facebook floatation - 23/5/2012 3:56:01 PM   
Jaded_Parrot

The Social Network 2 perhaps?....

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 20
RE: Facebook floatation - 23/5/2012 6:38:55 PM   
jon5000

You do wonder how long it can last. Is it just all hot air or can it make money? How much influence can advertising have that is genuinely profit-worthy before users stop using it?

I won't try and take anything away from what Zuckerberg et al have achieved though. I am most definitely a user of the service!

(in reply to Jaded_Parrot)
Post #: 21
RE: Facebook floatation - 23/5/2012 8:08:22 PM   
Woger

Some more on the law suit.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/the-facebook-ipo-shareholders-werent-invited-to-the-real-party-20120523

- - -

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 22
RE: Facebook floatation - 25/5/2012 10:46:19 AM   
TwistedAnimator

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I have a feeling that "Facebook" is going to develop further and further in to an outright medium as opposed to a simple website in the near future. Web users will download it in the same way that they download Firefox,Chrome or an app on a phone. It'll run its own search engine, and we've already seen hints at the marketplace style eco-system that its building (film rentals, apps within Facebook, games etc).

It seems to be in a sort of development limbo right now, much like Google.
They all seem uncertain where to take their products next instead of copying what one another are already doing.
Google doing a social network was a fail.
If Facebook decided to do a search engine, that'd be interesting. But would it fail too? Who knows...

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Facebook floatation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI