Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Bands you really want to see reform.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Bands you really want to see reform. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bands you really want to see reform. - 17/5/2012 5:27:56 PM   
Lucky Day

I've never seen this in a thread, sorry if one exists.

Who would you really like to reform ? Nothing would keep me from being front and centre at a Guns N' Roses gig, the Use Your Illusion line up would do nicely. Obviously Nirvana & Alice in Chains are now sadly out of the question. The one that I really hope to see is a Dire Straits come back, I'm not sure if they actually fell out or if they just can't be arsed. There are many more beyond this but I'm sure you guys will come up with some good ones ......,

Feed the birds and what have you got? Fat birds.
Post #: 1
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 17/5/2012 5:37:48 PM   
horribleives

Loads of my favourite bands have already got back together over the last few years (Pixies, MBV, Swervedriver, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Pavement, The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Afghan Whigs, At The Drive-in) so the only one left now is Fugazi. Which I sadly can't see happening any time soon. Fuck.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 2
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 17/5/2012 6:16:46 PM   
wzPUNISHERwz

@ luckday
its mark knopfler that really cant be arsed with dire straits btw

pink floyd
for me are the greatest of all time, listen to there stuff every day, the stuff that roger waters wrote with floyd and as a solo act were my fav

thankfully though it has happened quite a few times...the water'less pink floyd didnt actually split up till 96 and since then gilmour has always toured and performed in recordings with wright and mason (untill wright died in 08)

waters returned in 2005 for floyd at live 8

then in 2010 dave gilmour and roger waters did a 30 minute set at a charity do

then last year Gilmour and Mason joined Roger Waters on stage in london on the uk leg of Roger Water's Wall world tour (one of the biggest selling tours of all time)

and there great friends again...there used to be a time from around 79 till waters left in 85 they were each others worst enemy

< Message edited by wzPUNISHERwz -- 17/5/2012 6:17:48 PM >

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 3
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 17/5/2012 6:25:59 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

East 17.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to wzPUNISHERwz)
Post #: 4
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 17/5/2012 6:29:47 PM   
Spaldron

Sepultura (original line up)
Pink Floyd
GN'R (original line up)
White Zombie
Dire Straits

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 5
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 17/5/2012 6:35:27 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Pink Floyd

It wouldn't be the same without Richard Wright, though. : (

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 6
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 17/5/2012 6:38:24 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

East 17.

They can stay another day. (gets coat)

In answer to the thread question, Cocteau Twins or Husker Du.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 7
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 9:43:25 AM   
Toby Monroe

I don't like to see it myself. They do it for the wrong reasons. I thought it was quite sad to see the T'Roses hold that press conference to announce their reunion. Ditto the Pistols. If they did it for artistic reasons then fair enough, but I can't help but feel it's exploitative.

It as if they've never listened to Stevie V.

Having said that I always thought Ultrasound had another album in them. As did the Paris Angels, but I think one of them might be dead.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 8
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 10:09:37 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

East 17.

They can stay another day. (gets coat)

I was in the East 17 fan-club for one year. Loads of amazing perks.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 9
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 10:25:10 AM   
Rhubarb

Elastica

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 10
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 11:15:51 AM   
Larry of Arabia

The White Stripes, mostly because I think they ended before they achieved everything they could have and because the thought of never seeing them live is a bummer. Seeing Jack White in anything but black, white or red is also something I have trouble getting used to.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 11
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 11:36:55 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Husker Du, absolutely.  Hell, I'd even settle for Sugar for that matter.

Top of my  list would have to be Talking Heads, but since there's quite a bit of bad blood there, it's pretty damned unlikely.

Siouxsie & The Banshees.  It's just not enough to see her tour solo, I want Severin and Budgie too.  I'd also love McGeogh there, but alas that's not going to happen without black magic, a lightning storm and some industrial-strength smelling salts   Oh well, I guess I can settle for Robert Smith...

The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.  However, with Franti finally enjoying moderate stateside success with Spearhead, I'd guess this is pretty unlikely.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 12
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 11:49:02 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Monroe

I don't like to see it myself. They do it for the wrong reasons. I thought it was quite sad to see the T'Roses hold that press conference to announce their reunion. Ditto the Pistols. If they did it for artistic reasons then fair enough, but I can't help but feel it's exploitative.

It doesn't really bother me if they do it for the money - they're working musicians, they're entitled to earn a living, and any quaint notions of 'selling out' by simply doing what you do best are a tad ridiculuous when you're in your 40s. It's only really a problem if they still hate each other, though you can ususally tell in a band's performance whether they're enjoying it or just thinking about the pot of gold at the end of the tour (though you'd be right about the Pistols on that score).
And the Roses have been offered squillions to get back together over the years and always said 'no'. Perhaps the money was a contributing factor but there's no way you'd get them all in the same room unless they were excited about playing together again.
Ditto Pavement, who happily admitted they got back together to help Mark Ibold clear his gambling debts but the fact that they'd patched up their differences, put on great shows and by their own admission had a lot of fun doing it is good enough reason for them to put aside any middle-class punk rock guilt about making a few quid.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 13
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 11:55:40 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Husker Du, absolutely. Hell, I'd even settle for Sugar for that matter.

I think I'd prefer Sugar to Husker Du, though either would be great.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 12:30:19 PM   
James74

Talking Heads - that would be a dream come true especially if i saw them live.

Post #: 15
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 1:10:26 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Yeah, the more I think of it, so would I - least there'd be no chance of the occasional Nova Mob cover making it into the set!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 16
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 1:26:19 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Yeah, the more I think of it, so would I - least there'd be no chance of the occasional Nova Mob cover making it into the set!

To this day I've still never heard them.
I always had more of a connection with Sugar 'cos I got into them first and saw them live a few times. I was too young (yay! I don't get to say that on here very often) to be into Husker Du first time around though now I think about it, perhaps because I never saw them it would be more thrilling to see HD after all? Decisions, (hypothetical) decisions...

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 1:27:02 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

GN'R (original line up)

Indeed. Might be awesome, might be disastrous, wouldn't be dull.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 18
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 1:37:18 PM   
sharkboy

Nova Mob were one of those bands that promised so much but delivered so little.  There are a few tracks on Last Days of Pompeii that are almost as good as anything Hart did with HD (Admiral of the Sea, Wernher Von Braun and Over My Head are all well worth checking out), but also tracks that are just soooo bad (I'm still trying to erase all my aural memories of Space Jazz...).  By the time the eponymous 2nd album came around, they were sounding like a Green Day tribute band who only covered the band's bad studio out-takes.

WWLD?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 19
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 1:55:11 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Nova Mob were one of those bands that promised so much but delivered so little.  There are a few tracks on Last Days of Pompeii that are almost as good as anything Hart did with HD (Admiral of the Sea, Wernher Von Braun and Over My Head are all well worth checking out), but also tracks that are just soooo bad (I'm still trying to erase all my aural memories of Space Jazz...). By the time the eponymous 2nd album came around, they were sounding like a Green Day tribute band who only covered the band's bad studio out-takes.

He didn't, did he? It's impossible to combine those two words and have it end in anything but disaster.
Aye, I've heard a few people say the first album's worth checking out, might see if it's knocking round on Amazon for a few quid.
Speaking of sounding like Green Day, I've lost count of the amount of times younger friends and relatives have heard Husker Du tracks and remarked how much they remind them of the Foo Fighters. The sort of comments that would have porobably made my blood boil in hardcore rage when I was a snotty, elitist teenager but now I think the fact it shows they're actually listening is kind of cool.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 7:24:57 PM   
pedros

I'll agree with White Stripes, I never saw them either though I am seeing Jack White next month so that will slightly make up for it.

Also Led Zeppelin. Again, for more than one date.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

Post #: 21
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 7:49:21 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

Also Led Zeppelin. Again, for more than one date.

Ah, but what a date it was So many rumours of tours after it, all to come to nothing

WWLD?

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 22
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 18/5/2012 11:27:31 PM   
DancingClown

Mansun. Longpigs.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 23
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 19/5/2012 11:16:14 AM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

To this day I've still never heard them.
I always had more of a connection with Sugar 'cos I got into them first and saw them live a few times. I was too young (yay! I don't get to say that on here very often) to be into Husker Du first time around though now I think about it, perhaps because I never saw them it would be more thrilling to see HD after all? Decisions, (hypothetical) decisions...

Amazingly I was too young for Husker Du but saw Sugar a few times, once at The Princess Charlotte in Leicester, 350 people squashed into a small room. It was amazing. Bob Mould was an early hero of mine, it was the first £10 gig I remember

The original Guns N Roses line up without a doubt. Just the 5 of them. Raw, energetic, with no drum solos, no Use Your Illusion songs (apart from perhaps You could Be Mine and Civil War) and a venue that allows smoking. Perfect

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 24
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 19/5/2012 2:39:40 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

The original Guns N Roses line up without a doubt. Just the 5 of them. Raw, energetic, with no drum solos, no Use Your Illusion songs (apart from perhaps You could Be Mine and Civil War) and a venue that allows smoking. Perfect

Slash playing Estranged again would be brilliant. Heaven's Door sans reggae would be good.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 25
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 19/5/2012 6:47:26 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Slash playing Estranged again would be brilliant. Heaven's Door sans reggae would be good.

The HMV picture house in Edinburgh doesn't allow smoking. Do you think that stopped Slash ? Did it Fuck.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 26
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 19/5/2012 7:14:41 PM   
Spider

Orange Juice.

Been expecting this to happen since Edwyn Collins reappeared a few years ago. Not sure how good they'd be, but would like to see them anyway!

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 27
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 19/5/2012 7:39:09 PM   
Lucky Day

Kate Bush. She's not a band that needs to reform, obviously. But she has only toured the once and that was in the year I was born. There isn't much I wouldn't give to see her perform live.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 28
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 20/5/2012 11:42:47 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Orange Juice.

Been expecting this to happen since Edwyn Collins reappeared a few years ago. Not sure how good they'd be, but would like to see them anyway!

Seen Edwyn Collins twice since his return and he was absolutely fabulous both times. Apparently after the stroke the things he found easiest to remember were the Orange Juice tracks which is why the set is littered with them. I would love to see a proper Orange Juice reunion though, just because if it's anywhere near as good as solo Edwyn it would be special.

Other bands? A Tribe Called Quest would be pretty great, some of Q Tips solo stuff goes a little too R&B for me, so always worried about whether I'd go see him solo, Tribe I'd certainly go though.

Sleater Kinney. Sure they never really broke up, just stopped being a unit for a while, I think that could work in their favour, as they've all done solo stuff (Two in Wild Flag and Corin Tucker did her own album), and all still good friends, so the energy and creativity would still be there.

Spacemen 3, because I think seeing them live would be spectacular, not so fussed if they made another album, I think they did about as much as they wanted to.

Pulp on the other hand, I know they returned to the live circuit last year (and it was special), But I would love it if they returned to the Studio, because with We Love Life they showed an interesting new sound and I think they could potentially create a really great record again.

Fugazi would be amazing. Another band that didn't technically break up I don't think. They always made great albums that were both subtly different but reassuringly still their sound and they ended on a wonderful note, but I think they could still make great albums and I would love to see them.

Talking Heads, because seeing David Byrne playing their songs live without them just isn't quite the same. And I think they could make another great album, he's a creative man who has learned a lot since the break up and still makes interesting music, but the others could reign in some of his more unusual choices shall we say.

Fairport Convention. I know you can't have Sandy Denny in there, but with people like Richard and Linda Thompson back we could at least get a stronger more interesting band than the one that currently exists.

My Bloody Valentine - Are they together, is it just Kevin Shields? Is there actually an album coming out? What is going on? Saw them live and they were an experience, just wish they could get together an actually finish this mythical album.

I know they've only just broken up, but I do miss LCD Soundsystem. I hope James Murphy continues to release music that good on his own.

As for the whole reasons behind a reunion, I don't suppose it matters all that much as long as they put their all into it. Two of my favourite gigs were done for the money. Leonard Cohen openly admitted that he was only touring because his manager had stolen all his money and he was broke, yet on stage he was humble, charming and seemed to be having a wonderful time and created a truly special live experience. Pixies too were widely reported to be doing it for the money, and yet when I saw them they were great, the band had chemistry, they performed really well and It was great, they even played the rest of a set that was cut short a decade or more earlier in the same city when the stage collapsed which I thought showed a caring you might not expect. So as long as they bring heart with their sack of cash I don't really care.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 29
RE: Bands you really want to see reform. - 21/5/2012 12:15:18 AM   
vad3r

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Bands you really want to see reform. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI