Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What A Twat

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What A Twat Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:07:32 PM   
jon5000

It's almost not worth posting really.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 61
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:08:36 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Anyways, this twonk....

Oh God yes. I despise this man with a passion.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 62
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:09:39 PM   
shool

You lot are an angry bunch. So much hate

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 63
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:10:38 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

quote:

Anyways, this twonk....

He's grown on me, much like Michael MacIntyre. When I first saw and heard him I thought, "I don't find this toff remotely funny", but since giving it a second and third go I've become a bit of a fan! Sorry....

If we're on comedians can we include....

Used to be a very funny man now just bitter, twisted and downright offensive.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 64
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:11:26 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

In all fairness everyone's resisted the temptation so far to put a picture up of a mod in this thread.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 65
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:13:28 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

In all fairness everyone's resisted the temptation so far to put a picture up of a mod in this thread.

Oooooh!

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 66
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:16:14 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

Are you a rocker?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 67
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:18:36 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Stewart Lee got it spot on.

Speaking of twats...

If ever there was a comedian to divide opinion, it is certainly Stewart Lee.

I for one vehemently disagree. Fair enough if you don't appreciate his standup, but I think he actually comes across as quite a humble chap which isn't for me the hallmark of a twat.

The funny thing is I do actually agree with a lot of what he says. I liked him a lot with Herring on Fist of Fun, but there seems to be an air of intellectual snobbery about him, and the way he's always slagging off other comics, that gets my goat. The routine where he destroyed Chris Moyles' autobiography was very funny. But his criticism of Ricky Gervais and Michael Macintyre seemed misguided and bitter.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 68
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:22:21 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

He's grown on me, much like Michael MacIntyre. When I first saw and heard him I thought, "I don't find this toff remotely funny", but since giving it a second and third go I've become a bit of a fan! Sorry....

Agree with all of the above. Funny how things change.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 17/5/2012 3:23:01 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 69
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:28:17 PM   
paul_ie86

Oh this is the kind of thread that people wanted to get back to when they were complaining about Off Topic being shit now.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 70
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:32:35 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Stewart Lee got it spot on.

Speaking of twats...

If ever there was a comedian to divide opinion, it is certainly Stewart Lee.

I for one vehemently disagree. Fair enough if you don't appreciate his standup, but I think he actually comes across as quite a humble chap which isn't for me the hallmark of a twat.

The funny thing is I do actually agree with a lot of what he says. I liked him a lot with Herring on Fist of Fun, but there seems to be an air of intellectual snobbery about him, and the way he's always slagging off other comics, that gets my goat. The routine where he destroyed Chris Moyles' autobiography was very funny. But his criticism of Ricky Gervais and Michael Macintyre seemed misguided and bitter.

This was precisely the problem I had with his act when I saw him live this year.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 71
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:36:52 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

I'll walk into Mordor however the f*** I want . . . twat

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 72
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 3:58:13 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

This was precisely the problem I had with his act when I saw him live this year.

I can kind of see how the intellectual snobbery might annoy some, a lot of people find themselves a bit threatened by his intelligence maybe. I don't mind his slagging off other comics, as by and large I think he's been quite accurate with his observations. And there's a kind of pathetic edge to the bitterness which seems almost part of the act if anything, particularly his attack on Frankie Boyle. I love his clear frustration at not being as successful himself, when other comedians seem to offer such boring and repetitive material

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 73
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 4:11:26 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

I'll walk into Mordor however the f*** I want . . . twat

You sir are a formiddable opponent!

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 74
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 4:19:26 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anyways, this twonk....

Yep,another in a new age of unfunny young comedians.

And Frankie Boyle has always been (and will always be) a c*ck.

Stewart Lee is great though

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 75
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 4:29:38 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Saucer of milk for Goodfella, please.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 76
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 4:33:01 PM   
Woger

What's the prize for the biggest twat?

- - -

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 77
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 4:37:41 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

@Woger
The character he plays is a tw@t,which is the whole point,the guy himself is rather down to earth.

this guy on the otherhand is great "twat" material.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 78
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 4:39:07 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Oh this is the kind of thread that people wanted to get back to when they were complaining about Off Topic being shit now.

I shagged your mum.

(Does that bring the standard back up? I'm never sure.)

Al Murray seems alright on panel shows, but his Pub Landlord act has grated on me for some time now.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 79
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 4:39:51 PM   
Chief

quote:

What's the prize for the biggest twat?

It's a plaque, currently hanging over Harry Tuttle's Mum's fire place.

Which is also the name for her aforementioned prize winner.

< Message edited by Chief -- 17/5/2012 4:44:35 PM >

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 80
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 4:39:52 PM   
Woger

You know the way you hate a character so much you almost hate the real person?

- - -

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 81
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 5:13:53 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Rebekah Brooks
posted twice=super-mega-twat-bitch.
Now thats some accolade.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 17/5/2012 5:25:37 PM >

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 82
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 5:22:54 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Al Murray seems alright on panel shows, but his Pub Landlord act has grated on me for some time now.

He knows a fuckload about WWII planes and stuff so he can't be all that bad.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 83
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 5:23:12 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can kind of see how the intellectual snobbery might annoy some, a lot of people find themselves a bit threatened by his intelligence maybe. I don't mind his slagging off other comics, as by and large I think he's been quite accurate with his observations. And there's a kind of pathetic edge to the bitterness which seems almost part of the act if anything, particularly his attack on Frankie Boyle. I love his clear frustration at not being as successful himself, when other comedians seem to offer such boring and repetitive material

I don't doubt he believes this himself too. Which is kind of wher the accusations of intellectual snobbery come from.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 17/5/2012 5:24:04 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 84
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 5:50:49 PM   
Quint

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't doubt he believes this himself too. Which is kind of wher the accusations of intellectual snobbery come from.

That line really annoyed me, but you handled it far better than I would have ives!

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

Post #: 85
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 5:57:38 PM   
jon5000

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see that myself. I mean I think he is intelligent, but any kind of snobbery I would argue is merely attributed by those who are intimidated by it. I don't think he is saying he's smarter directly. I think what his act actually does is address laziness in other comics, rather than a lack of intelligence. I don't think he's directly saying 'my act is smarter', rather he's highlighting how a lot of other comedians just don't put as much thought and consideration into their act as they should. Or at least what you'd expect from their ticket prices in many cases. I think he's quite right to pick holes in Gervais' use of the word mong given his influence and commanding presence on the comedy scene. I don't think that's him saying 'I'm smarter than you Gervais.'

Post #: 86
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 5:58:05 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am not threatened by his intelligence. Why would I be?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 87
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 6:03:03 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quint

That line really annoyed me, but you handled it far better than I would have ives!

Er... thanks. However I think it's a valid observation, a lot of people I know dislike him for exactly that. They don't like being condescended to and find his admittedly opinionated act a bit threatening because of that. Whereas somebody like Michael McIntyre is far less intense and offers quite lighthearted entertainment.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 88
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 6:06:30 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see that myself. I mean I think he is intelligent, but any kind of snobbery I would argue is merely attributed by those who are intimidated by it. I don't think he is saying he's smarter directly. I think what his act actually does is address laziness in other comics, rather than a lack of intelligence. I don't think he's directly saying 'my act is smarter', rather he's highlighting how a lot of other comedians just don't put as much thought and consideration into their act as they should. Or at least what you'd expect from their ticket prices in many cases. I think he's quite right to pick holes in Gervais' use of the word mong given his influence and commanding presence on the comedy scene. I don't think that's him saying 'I'm smarter than you Gervais.'

Exactly.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 89
RE: What A Twat - 17/5/2012 6:08:32 PM   
jon5000

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am not threatened by his intelligence. Why would I be?

No I think this is exactly the problem. I think sometimes opinionated comedy, shall we say, can make people think they're being condescended to. I think some people probably get annoyed at this, because they think he's suggesting he's smarter in doing so. Whereas I've never seen that as the case in his act, personally. He's got opinions and a lot of people feel threatened by them in a comedy act.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What A Twat Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI