Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Projectionist F**k Ups

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 19/5/2012 3:41:03 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

I went to see a film at the Cameo in Edinburgh with a mate.

This was the one we were going to see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0918561/

and this was the one that initially came on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354934/

To be fair it was fixed in less than 5 minutes.

How odd that they had both to hand, were they running a "Films Named Rule Number 1" season that week or something!?

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 31
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 20/5/2012 7:42:46 PM   
fuzzy

When I went to see Batman Begins when it first came out, the film was projected at an angle for the first 5 minutes, so, I like everyone else there, I tilted my head to the left for the duration. It was corrected eventually (the film, and my neck).

Worst experience though was at the one and only screening of Pearl Jam Twenty last year. About 30mins in the screen went black right on cue to the start of a song (it wasn't the song Black though, that would've been funny), the sound continued and everyone thought it was intentional. About 20 secs in though we obviously twigged something was up. People complained and the film was stopped and put back before the fault. Frustratingly this happened 4 more times, fortunately though everyone was chilled out and saw the funny side so the cinema (who did apologise) avoided any riots. Not sure if that wouldve been the reaction if it was a big summer blockbuster.

(in reply to S1lent B0b)
Post #: 32
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 11:47:47 AM   
JV

When I went to see The Butterfly Effect, it was in the US and I only knew the basics of the plot. So when the first 15 minutes were all distorted, I thought it might actually be part of it. It was unbearable though and one bloke left and came back in - assumed he'd been to tell someone, but nothing changed. So I went to find someone and it was such a big cinema it seemed ages before I found someone. Didn't seem like they were going to fix it anytime soon so I got a refund and went back the next day to a perfect screening of it.

Another time I was at the Vue in Newcastle-under-Lyme although I can't remember what the film was. It was ever so slightly blurred, to the point that at first you didn't notice it and eventually it was like my eyes were tiring or something. When I realised what it was, I went out at the same time as someone else and the usherette got it sorted pretty quickly.

I went to see The Life Of David Gale at the now Empire in Newcastle-upon-Tyne but I had sneaked into see it. Right near the end at a key moment the screen went black. At first I thought it was part of the plot (it would have fitted with the plot perfectly) but then the lights came on. For a moment I thought they had realised I had sneaked in without paying and I was going to be hauled away, but when the manager came in it was just to apologise and to say they would get the picture up and running as soon as poss.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 33
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 7:59:22 PM   
filmfanatic123

When I was younger I went to see Agent Cody Banks with a friend - we were so cool that our mums let us in on our own - FUCK YEAH!!!

About halfway through the picture just flipped. It was completely upside down and we both looked at each other in utter disgust and then the manager came in, apologised and abandoned the screening. We were all given free tickets though, which was nice.

I still haven't told my friend though - I just took his ticket

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 34
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 8:22:58 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

When I went to see Batman Begins when it first came out, the film was projected at an angle for the first 5 minutes, so, I like everyone else there, I tilted my head to the left for the duration. It was corrected eventually (the film, and my neck).

Sounds like a sly tribute to the baddies' lairs from the '60s tv series .

< Message edited by horribleives -- 21/5/2012 8:23:16 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 35
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 9:31:23 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

this is sort of related but was anyone else distracted by the aspect ratio of Avengers? At first both me and my GF thought they hadn't 'opened up the sides' properly for full widescreen. I went out and checked with a member of staff who confirmed it was supposed to look that way. I genuinely thought the projectionist had ballsed up.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 36
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 9:36:24 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

this is sort of related but was anyone else distracted by the aspect ratio of Avengers? At first both me and my GF thought they hadn't 'opened up the sides' properly for full widescreen.

Yeah, I was a bit - it made it seem like I was watching the world's most expensive TV show a lot of the time.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 37
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 10:35:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

this is sort of related but was anyone else distracted by the aspect ratio of Avengers? At first both me and my GF thought they hadn't 'opened up the sides' properly for full widescreen.

Yeah, I was a bit - it made it seem like I was watching the world's most expensive TV show a lot of the time.

Thank you! I'm glad it wasnt just me. I was distracted by the ratio for at least 30 mins of the movie

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 38
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 10:42:21 PM   
MonsterCat

It really doesn't take a trained projectionist to figure out if a film is being projected wrong. If the main feature doesn't spill out over the edges of the screen and on to the black masking, then it is being presented in the correct screen ratio. Some directors do tend to film in 1.85, as cruel and unusual as that might sound.

God, I miss my old job. : (

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 21/5/2012 10:44:03 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 39
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 10:50:00 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

It really doesn't take a trained projectionist to figure out if a film is being projected wrong. If the main feature doesn't spill out over the edges of the screen and on to the black masking, then it is being presented in the correct screen ratio.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 40
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 10:51:49 PM   
MonsterCat

I know, I know. I still get very tetchy about this sort of thing.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 41
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 21/5/2012 10:55:07 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I just wanted some Bryan Hitch-style widescreen action, what more can I say?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 42
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 28/5/2012 10:34:35 PM   
Phoenix Wright

I remember when I went to see "The Pirates! In an Adventure With Scientists" in 3D the film started with everything on screen in various shades of neon pink. Fortunately as it was in our local Picturehouse the usher was still just outside the screen and got on the radio to the projectionist right away. After that the colour was sorted but the 3D was still off, everything in the back or foreground was slightly blurry and just seemed "off" (which caused several muttered conversations in the auditorium about whether it was supposed to look like that). Anyway after a couple of minutes we went to let the usher know and everything was fixed.

It's a shame as once everything was sorted it was one of the few occasions where I thought the 3D was quite well done, however it has made me more active in seeking out the 2D showings of new releases from now on!

SEA BEARS FOAM, SLEEP BEARS DREAMS. BOTH END IN THE SAME WAY—CRASSSH!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 43
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 3/6/2012 11:34:51 PM   
alex1995

About 40 minutes into Tinker Tailor the whole picture and sound went for five minutes. They didnt show the missed bit just continued along the running time.

Post #: 44
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 5/6/2012 9:21:37 PM   
RobotDevil

I went to a screening of the Indiana Jones Trilogy at the Prince Charles Cinema last night.
At the very moment that the man starts pushing the crate into the giant warehouse in the final scene (and just as the Raiders Theme starts) the projection cut out. Very poor timing.
Also, not sure if it was a projection problem but, the audio on Last Crusade was all over the place with really harsh sibilance and sound effects, and a constant low frequency hum.

There's been a few mentions of the aspect ratio of the Avengers (2012) which I actually had no problem with. However when I went to Dark Shadows there was a rather petulant teenager sitting near me who was convinced that the film (filmed and therefore projected in 1.85:1) needed to be widened to fit the screen and he had no qualms in talking loudly to his date / sister (not implying both - I wasn't sure which) to say how shit the small screen was.

I had Korean Barbecue for lunch - I cannot look at a Dr Moreau pigbaby.

(in reply to alex1995)
Post #: 45
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 5/6/2012 9:30:53 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobotDevil

I went to a screening of the Indiana Jones Trilogy at the Prince Charles Cinema last night.
At the very moment that the man starts pushing the crate into the giant warehouse in the final scene (and just as the Raiders Theme starts) the projection cut out. Very poor timing.
Also, not sure if it was a projection problem but, the audio on Last Crusade was all over the place with really harsh sibilance and sound effects, and a constant low frequency hum.

I think in their defence they tend to go for 35mm prints instead of sourcing their presentations from a DVD or a blu-ray. The 35mm prints they get are first generation, and older prints for films like Raiders tend to be more problematic. The projection over there is top-notch, and if they suffer any hiccups it's not from a lack of trying.

The guys who run the PCC cinema are a great bunch, but they need to realise that projecting from a DVD is less risky then projecting from sketchy 35mm print.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 5/6/2012 9:33:17 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 46
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 5/6/2012 10:35:59 PM   
RobotDevil

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobotDevil

I think in their defence they tend to go for 35mm prints instead of sourcing their presentations from a DVD or a blu-ray. The 35mm prints they get are first generation, and older prints for films like Raiders tend to be more problematic. The projection over there is top-notch, and if they suffer any hiccups it's not from a lack of trying.

The guys who run the PCC cinema are a great bunch, but they need to realise that projecting from a DVD is less risky then projecting from sketchy 35mm print.

Absolutely not disputing that the PCC is awesome and when I get the time to go there and watch something (not often enough) I enjoy the charm of an aged film print and I do accept that every once in a while there will be a glitch or two.
It's a testament to the PCC that they can almost completely fill a 250 ish seat screen at £15 per ticket for an 80's film trilogy that can be brought on DVD for about £10.

I had Korean Barbecue for lunch - I cannot look at a Dr Moreau pigbaby.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 47
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 5/6/2012 10:38:51 PM   
MonsterCat

It's a great little place.

I don't get to go there as often as I like, though. : (

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 48
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 6/6/2012 1:01:10 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

I've never heard of a cinema projecting from a DVD before. Blowing up a DVD image (or even a blu-ray) onto a large cinema screen would look terrible. It would basically be all pixelated and rubbish looking.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 49
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 22/6/2012 1:33:53 PM   
Filmfan 2

The lights were left on through most of a showing of Confidence I saw a few years back. Eventually went off about 3/4 of the way through the movie.

When i went to see Harry Potter 2, the film cut out and the lights went up as the WB logo moved towards the screen. After 5 mins, it was sorted (got a free ticket for next movie as way of apology). I went to see Harry Potter 3 for the first time and the same thing happened.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 50
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 22/6/2012 1:54:52 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron
I've never heard of a cinema projecting from a DVD before. Blowing up a DVD image (or even a blu-ray) onto a large cinema screen would look terrible. It would basically be all pixelated and rubbish looking.

A lot of indies still do project from DVD (moreso than blu ray, although a few are moving on now), particularly with older films.

Obviously with independent cinemas you have much smaller screens and theatres/rooms (whatever you want to call them), so it actually isn't that bad and often you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a projection from a DVD player or film reel.

When I worked at Showcase in Bristol in the mid 90s, there was a staff only Star Trek marathon leading up to the premier of First Contact, and all of the films bar First Contact and Generations were projected from, if memory serves, either a region 1 DVD player or an American laserdisc player (which, if further memory serves, cost a fucking fortune, not to mention the apparent nightmare of getting permission from both Paramount US and UK and the publishing companies and rights owners). I wouldn't say they were crystal clear, but it was still better quality than a pre-recorded VHS on a normal size TV screen.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 51
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 22/6/2012 4:19:41 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

A couple of places I work with project from DVD occasionally, usually as a back up for particularly obscure stuff or knackered old prints. Most indie cinemas have a policy of sticking to DVD for certain archive titles where it might not be worth flying a print in too. I think you'd be surprised by just how well Blu-ray holds up in an average cinema. I've been shocked by the results myself, and I won't even step in to an auditorium if I hear that a DVD is being used.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 52
RE: Projectionist F**k Ups - 22/6/2012 4:29:43 PM   
elab49

I don't think I misread, but I think that's how the reshowings for NT Live were being done. Or that's how it was worded the first time one of the Frankensteins were being shown last year.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 22/6/2012 4:31:02 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI