Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ultra Violet Digital Copy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Ultra Violet Digital Copy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ultra Violet Digital Copy - 15/5/2012 8:47:55 PM   
Vadersville

Okay so I was just about to buy Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Triple Play when I realised suddenly that it is a ULTRA VIOLET Digital Copy. Now I've heard about this but I still have no idea what this is. I have an iPod Touch and use iTunes to download all my digital copies to watch on there. Is this going to force me to use some other program? Will i even be able to watch this ultra violet copy on my iPod?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind
Post #: 1
RE: Ultra Violet Digital Copy - 16/5/2012 11:06:24 PM   
nclowe

Not having realised it was an Ultraviolet digi copy before ordering I unfortunately can help. This digital copy is not compatible with anything you currently use (itunes, wmv, android player etc). The only thing you can play it through is Flixster so that means signing up for yet another player/app. The option then is to stream the film (internet connection needed) otherwise you can download a copy to your tablet to watch through the flixster app. If, like me, however you have limited space on your tablet and store most of your digital copies on a main computer, changing out the films on your tablet when the mood takes you are out of luck as you can only download this film 5 times.

I should say this is feedback coming from someone who has just spent 2 evenings trying to download a workable digital file only to discover the above...so Im a litte bias towards the negative :-)

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 2
RE: Ultra Violet Digital Copy - 18/5/2012 9:31:48 AM   
UTB

The Amazon reviews suggest a few others have had problems with it too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004OC006Y/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#RCUFZMWDNGST6

(in reply to nclowe)
Post #: 3
RE: Ultra Violet Digital Copy - 18/5/2012 5:49:18 PM   
Vadersville

Thanks guys. Stuff like really bugs me. I can't find a single or double play edition anywhere so it looks like I'll have to buy the triple play if I want it on Blu-ray anyway but I think its wrong that we're forced to use a specific program that isn't even compatible with some players. Before you'd have the option between an iTunes or windows media player. I also found out the hard way that digital copies have an expiry date! The missus bought The A-Team triple play recently and when I went to download the digital copy I was told it had expired! Surely this sorta thing is just encouraging piracy?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 4
RE: BR, DC & Ultra Violet??? - 31/8/2012 10:22:09 PM   
Vadersville

Just noticed that a few films like Battleship and Snow White and the Huntsman are listed some places as triple plays, which to me means Blu-ray, DVD and digital copy but on amazon and play are listed as Blu-ray, Digital Copy and Ultraviolet copy. What gives???

Post #: 5
RE: BR, DC & Ultra Violet??? - 31/8/2012 10:40:55 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Just noticed that a few films like Battleship and Snow White and the Huntsman are listed some places as triple plays, which to me means Blu-ray, DVD and digital copy but on amazon and play are listed as Blu-ray, Digital Copy and Ultraviolet copy. What gives???

I assume Digitial Copy is for those with iTunes access and UltraViolet is for those without?

Post #: 6
RE: BR/DVD combo over? - 1/9/2012 8:14:48 AM   
Vadersville

Yeah but it still seems a cheap shot, calling it a triple play! I mean I get pissed off when I see that a film comes with a crappy Ultraviolet copy instead of the normal digital copy so in one sense its good to see that some distrubitors are offering both. But at the expense of the DVD? Personally I would rather have a Blu-ray/DVD Combo over any digital copy, it makes life easier when I take a film around the missus' or the parentals who are still yet to get a Blu-Ray player. In fact with Disney (an thus Marvel) stopping their double plays now is this the end of the Blu-Ray / DVD combo days...?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 7
RE: BR/DVD combo over? - 1/9/2012 11:04:30 AM   
UTB

Not to be too pedantic, but neither Play or Amazon list Battleship or Snow White & The Huntsman as 'triple' plays (that I can see), though I can see how them using the same branding could be confusing for the consumer.

There have been plenty of releases that have been Blu Ray and Digital Copy only, the above 2 are merely the same but with the Ultraviolet addition, which in your original post you complained about not getting the Digital Copy, which this rectifies, no?

< Message edited by UTB -- 1/9/2012 11:05:14 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: BR/DVD combo over? - 1/9/2012 11:33:00 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Not to be too pedantic, but neither Play or Amazon list Battleship or Snow White & The Huntsman as 'triple' plays (that I can see), though I can see how them using the same branding could be confusing for the consumer.

There have been plenty of releases that have been Blu Ray and Digital Copy only, the above 2 are merely the same but with the Ultraviolet addition, which in your original post you complained about not getting the Digital Copy, which this rectifies, no?

As I said when I first brought this up, amazon and play are the exception, everywhere else has them listed as triple plays, including in store at my local Sainsburys, I'm also 99% sure when I first preordered Battleship (Don't judge me, it's for the missus!) that it was also listed as triple play on amazon. And yes, as I also said, its good that some distrubitors are giving consumers a choice between normal digital copy and ultraviolet but it seems here that this is in replace of the DVD copy which I value more. Also in the U.S. the two mentioned releases come with DVD copies as well as both digital versions but not here. I'm seeing less and less of Blu-ray / DVD combos now.

There's also more potential confusion for consumers now that these terms aren't fixed. A Double Play can now mean anything from a Blu-Ray/DVD, Blu-Ray/Digital Copy(or Ultraviolet) or Blu-Ray/Blu-Ray3D now. And the same for Triple Plays.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 9
RE: BR/DVD combo over? - 1/9/2012 11:47:27 AM   
UTB

Apologies, I kind of skim read your post...

Post #: 10
RE: BR/DVD combo over? - 13/1/2013 9:45:06 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I know this is a bit of an old thread but I have a UV issue.

I finally decided to get around to trying to download my UV and digital copies of films, since some of the codes have expiry dates. I really wish I hadn't bothered because mostly they're a pain in the arse.

I'm having particular trouble with the UV ones. I signed up to the site, and then I signed up to Flixster so I could download my copy to my laptop rather than streaming it. To do this, you have to download Flixster's own desktop player. I downloaded it but I can't install it, because every time I try to run the installation I get the following error:

CLR error: 80004005- the programme will now terminate.

I've had a bit of a look around online, and- if I'm reading it right- it seems to be a problem with my computer, not the programme. Is there any way of fixing this without having to pay for a piece of software which I've never heard of?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 11
RE: Ultra Violet Digital Copy - 14/1/2013 9:52:35 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Thanks guys. Stuff like really bugs me. I can't find a single or double play edition anywhere so it looks like I'll have to buy the triple play if I want it on Blu-ray anyway but I think its wrong that we're forced to use a specific program that isn't even compatible with some players. Before you'd have the option between an iTunes or windows media player. I also found out the hard way that digital copies have an expiry date! The missus bought The A-Team triple play recently and when I went to download the digital copy I was told it had expired! Surely this sorta thing is just encouraging piracy?

I first noticed the expiry date on a digital copy with Tropic Thunder - I was about two years late but it still worked. I assume that isn't the norm though. Funnily enough I had trouble downloading my digital copy of The A-Team as the code simply didn't work even though it was in date. So I just e-mailed the customer services people at Fox who sent me a new one.

Similarly, when I bought The Avengers (Assemble) from Amazon US, I downloaded the WMV version from the digital copy disc as I couldn't use my UK iTunes account to get the iOS one, but the WMV wouldn't work on my iPod. I then realised I could set up a US iTunes account but by then the code was used up, even though I'm sure the blurb said you could use the digital copy on all your devices (which I read as "all"). So I e-mailed Disney US to say I accidentally downloaded the wrong one and could they provide a new code, even offering to deactivate the WMV one (if possible - I don't think it is). They sent a new code as a "gesture of goodwill", a term that irritated me a bit.

I get that they want to stop us sharing the film, but they really do make it difficult to get and use these digital copies and it really does make piracy seem like the easy option.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

Post #: 12
RE: Ultra Violet Digital Copy - 14/1/2013 12:51:57 PM   
spark1

note 'bourne legacy' is a triple play but with no dvd.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 13
RE: Digital Copy Expiry date - 14/1/2013 6:28:57 PM   
Vadersville

I first came across the expiry date issue with The A-Team triple play, bought for me for Christmas last year. I immediately tried to download my digital copy only to find that the expiry date had passed, emailed them since I had read that they often provided a new code and they just sent me an email saying that the film was not yet available for digital download... what-the fuck? and that they would email me when it was. Still waiting. Likewise, I bought the missu Cowboys and Aliens this year on Triple Play and she quickly noticed the digital copy expired on Boxing day so downloaded it straight away. Yet I saw online in the boxing day sales, many places were still selling it as a Triple Play set...

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Ultra Violet Digital Copy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI