Wild Target (2010)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Wild Target (2010) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wild Target (2010) - 15/5/2012 5:01:58 AM   
Phubbs

Think 'A Fish Called Wanda' and 'Clockwise' and you have an idea of how this quirky little British film plays out. Bill Nighy is against cast as an ageing hitman who also looks after his ageing mother whilst doing his daily job of taking people out.

It sounds hilarious on paper and is a fun film, its just not quite as sharp as you might hope for. Nighy of course is the best thing in the film as the stiff upper lipped, tight assed gentleman hitman, a kind of 'Basil Fawlty' hitman who frowns upon anything modern or unusual in his world.

The rest of the cast are a jumbled mix of British character actors who add spice to the plot but not quite as much as Nighy. Freeman as the other hired assassin on the job is surprisingly eerie with his bleached teeth and slick hair, his partner in crime is Geoff Bell who always plays the scary hardman but parodies this beautifully here. Both are a great team up for this film and compliment Nighy so well, the other cast members do the job but nothing to rave about, Everett doesn't quite fit his role as head gangster if you ask me whilst Grint can't shake his 'Potter' background I'm afraid.

There isn't anything particularly original here, the hitman thing has been done to death but mixing it with an anal stuffy ageing British aristocratic business man type is a neat little idea. There isn't a great deal more on offer other than that small concept, the rest of the humour is average and the film does lull towards the end, the final idea of the two leads getting married and having a kid is rather icky frankly haha age gap much?

A nice entertaining black comedy which would have been perfect for John Cleese many years ago but Nighy is still good fare and still flies the flag for Britain just fine.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 15/5/2012 5:03:08 AM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Wild Target (2010) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI