Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/7/2012 1:26:31 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Where's Mance?!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 91
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/7/2012 1:35:24 PM   
musht

Happy enough with that lot, I'm glad they're keeping the Reeds young. I think we already glimpsed Dondarion at the end of Season one but he had no lines so the change ill doubtfully be noticeable.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 92
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/7/2012 3:26:33 PM   
big dawg

Dennis Pennis is Thoros of Myr!

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 93
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 17/7/2012 5:21:36 PM   
sharkboy

This is about the only place I can post this without the "dude - spoilers!" comments, but since its all Season 1 spoilers...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 94
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/7/2012 12:26:25 PM   
SWOTBM

^ Nice Though I always thought Jon was forced into joining the NW?

Anyway, saw this on the BBC website, some minor casting spoilers so I didn't want to post this in the other thread:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18879742

Not much information, but I'll take it Will definitely have to pay a visit to some of those locations.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 95
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 20/7/2012 2:22:59 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I've read up to book 3 and just finished watching the series so here are my thoughts :

Firstly as to be expected series = great, books = amazing. After reading the books the series loses a couple of points though as the brilliance of Martin's writing really stands out. Some of the spectacle and grandeur is missing as well but you'd probably need to triple the budget to encapsulate that. The whole King's Landing battle for example, the wildfire explosion was fantastic but after that it turned into a pretty run of the mill fight, nothing like in the books with Tyrion leading the cavalry out, and Mandon Moore seemed way cooler in the book as well.

Casting wise they've generally done a pretty exceptional job job especially with all of the Starks, Varys, Bronn, Tyrion, Tywin, Jaime, Daenerys, Drogo etc. but there's been a couple of let downs. Firstly as I've mentioned before Stannis, completely lame character on screen the guy playing him is crap choice IMHO. By far the most boring person onscreen in GOT which is a shame because he's a major player.

Queen Cersei - simply not as beautiful as in the books but putting that aside Lena Headey just doesn't cut it - I can't put my finger on it but she seems weak, fairly plain and not particularly regal.

As for changing the plotting around in the TV series, it's not a massive thing because the general story is the same but there's been some pretty major changes - most recently didn't Brandon, Rickon, Hodor and the wilding woman have some interesting friends from a different land in tow Meera and her bro? They were completely chopped from the plot. It does add interest though for those who have read the books that it doesn't rigidly follow the plot.

All in all - books = 10/10, TV Show = 8/10, overall 9/10 - a remarkable job all round.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 96
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 21/7/2012 10:00:06 AM   
Funkyrae

You will meet Meera and Jojen. I think the season was changed a bit simply for pacing. Quite how they're going to manage the rest of them, I don't know!

That's me that is!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 97
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 22/7/2012 12:34:27 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 98
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 24/7/2012 1:07:38 PM   
jcthefirst

Harsh but

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 99
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 25/7/2012 1:25:03 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I'd quite like to see Iwan Rheon in the role. He's got the right pale eyes and can pull off weird and psychotic pretty well as anyone who watched Misfits can attest.

http://sciencefiction.com/2012/07/24/misfits-star-iwan-rheon-joining-game-of-thrones/

You might be in luck, and I'd have to agree that I think it would be great casting

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 100
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 25/7/2012 2:15:38 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Yeah wasn't Ygritte meant to be distinctly average looking and Theon's sis meant to be quite hot

Post #: 101
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 25/7/2012 7:15:49 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I'd quite like to see Iwan Rheon in the role. He's got the right pale eyes and can pull off weird and psychotic pretty well as anyone who watched Misfits can attest.

http://sciencefiction.com/2012/07/24/misfits-star-iwan-rheon-joining-game-of-thrones/

You might be in luck, and I'd have to agree that I think it would be great casting

The photo in that article is perfect for a caption competition!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 102
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 25/7/2012 9:09:30 PM   
SWOTBM

The only cast members I knew were the ones from the trailer. Winner for best casting on looks alone has to go to Tormund Giantsbane One of my favourite characters in the whole book.

Also like the look of Selyse () and Edmure. When is the next season released again........

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 103
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 26/7/2012 12:11:28 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

Right, I am living in Lavery's until I meet some famous folk.

Who's that in the background? Is it someone from the show I'm not recognising?

@Jonny_C85

Post #: 104
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 26/7/2012 12:41:37 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

Right, I am living in Lavery's until I meet some famous folk.

Who's that in the background? Is it someone from the show I'm not recognising?

The article accompanying the photo claims it's Brienne, completely unrecognisable with a smile on her face

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 105
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 26/7/2012 1:23:55 PM   
jcthefirst

See, I thought that. But couldn't be sure due to the big old smile.

Helloooooo, Brienne.

She'd still tower over me though.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 106
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 26/7/2012 1:32:50 PM   
jcthefirst

Also, Jamie Lannister is a sexy bastard.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 107
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 4/8/2012 11:10:28 PM   
musht

So apparently Dominic West turned down the role of Mance Rayder, such a shame as he would have been brilliant

http://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-season-3-dominic-west/

More newbies spotted, no word on what characters they're playing though

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/game-of-thrones/22295/new-game-of-thrones-season-3-casting-rumours

< Message edited by musht -- 11/8/2012 7:24:19 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 108
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 25/8/2012 8:06:10 PM   
musht

Ciarán Hinds cast as Mance Rayder, fantastic casting in my opinion, a very talented actor

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 109
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/3/2013 3:36:50 PM   
squeezyrider

Thought I'd bump this ahead of S3. How do you want to play it in here from now on? I'm thinking once Season three starts we should be able to discuss the whole of Storm of Swords in here. I honestly can't remember what happened in which part when the book was split in two. Plus the producers may not play that order anyway specifically.

So how about it Book Spoilers ahoy up til the end of Storm of Swords???

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 110
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/3/2013 3:38:20 PM   
elab49

I think it's probably best we keep the TV speed threads as they are and keep this as an entirely book speed thread. Otherwise when S3 finishes you'd just have to start a different/new book speed thread, and that seems a bit redundant?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 111
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/3/2013 3:51:07 PM   
squeezyrider

There's no need to change the TV speed thread as it exists. This thread was designed so that people could comment on how whatever series we're on compares to its corresponding book without worrying about spoilers for futher books which they might not have read.

All we need to do is update the label of this thread so people know that there will be book 3 spoilers in here and we're done.

Yorkshire is a place...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 112
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/3/2013 3:56:18 PM   
elab49

TBH I'd forgotten this was a limited book speed thread.

So that just leaves one question - are people likely to have read the next book before or after watching S3?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 113
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/3/2013 4:09:24 PM   
squeezyrider

We talked about book two throughout last series. And anything that was related to anything further was spoiler labelled and invsiotexted. No reason why that shouldn't work again.

Yorkshire is a place...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 114
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/3/2013 4:15:29 PM   
elab49

Cool - is everyone else OK with that? If so, we'll change the title.

quote:

Post #: 115
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/3/2013 6:25:54 PM   
Base

Whooohoooo, I can finally read this thread then!!! Started GoT & CoK before their respective series started but they both overtook me, ploughing through Feast For Crows now so I'm good here!!!!!!!

So, we're openly allowed to compare book to series here, yes? WTF is Theon's sis doing in the series 3 trailer?!?!?!?

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 116
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 19/3/2013 1:31:05 PM   
musht

Rewatching Blackwater Bay last night; does Stannis's presence annoy anyone else? I think I'm right in thinking that in the book he isn't at the battle and he definitely doesn't lead a landing party. His presence in the TV show seems completely pointless especially when you consider that they don't even explain how he escaped. Haven't rewatched the next episode yet but I believe I'm right in thinking that he's just suddenly back in his camp with no explanation.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 117
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 19/3/2013 1:43:32 PM   
Angelus

quote:

Rewatching Blackwater Bay last night; does Stannis's presence annoy anyone else? I think I'm right in thinking that in the book he isn't at the battle and he definitely doesn't lead a landing party.

I liked Stannis leading from the front, it made a nice contrast with Joffrey doing a runner at the first available opportunity.

quote:

His presence in the TV show seems completely pointless especially when you consider that they don't even explain how he escaped. Haven't rewatched the next episode yet but I believe I'm right in thinking that he's just suddenly back in his camp with no explanation.

His men are dragging him away when the Lannister/Tyrell reinforcements arrive.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 118
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 19/3/2013 9:10:35 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angelus

quote:

Rewatching Blackwater Bay last night; does Stannis's presence annoy anyone else? I think I'm right in thinking that in the book he isn't at the battle and he definitely doesn't lead a landing party.

I liked Stannis leading from the front, it made a nice contrast with Joffrey doing a runner at the first available opportunity.

quote:

His presence in the TV show seems completely pointless especially when you consider that they don't even explain how he escaped. Haven't rewatched the next episode yet but I believe I'm right in thinking that he's just suddenly back in his camp with no explanation.

His men are dragging him away when the Lannister/Tyrell reinforcements arrive.

For me the contrast between Stannis and Joffrey wasn't enough to warrant his inclusion in the battlefield. As for the lads dragging him away, pathetic excuse of an explanation in my books.The whole thing just annoys me, but I suppose if other aren't bothered then there's no point making a fuss. I'll just fume silently.

Love your avatar by the way

< Message edited by musht -- 19/3/2013 9:11:05 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 119
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 19/3/2013 10:34:12 PM   
Angelus

Ah ,that's fair enough. There were a few changes from the book in season 2 that I wasn't too happy about, mainly the awful shoehorned Robb-Talisa "romance".

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI