Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 28/5/2012 11:30:50 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

There's too much to say about tonight's episode I don't even know where to start. Obviously once again the half man stole the show but Joffrey, Dog, Bronn, Stannis, Cersai and even Sansa were fantastic. Having very recently read this part of the story I did pick up on a few things that were different but the majority weren't detrimental. I was disappointed the chain wasn't used/mentioned but my biggest niggle was with Stannis. Leading from the front, in the vanguard, climbing ladders....this isn't the Stannis from the book. It certainly made him look more 'king worthy' than I thought him.

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 28/5/2012 11:31:30 PM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 61
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 29/5/2012 11:06:50 AM   
Rob

I didn't mind the changes either including Stannis. I was genuinely moved my the attack on Tyrion even though I knew he'd be OK.

The show does such a good job of subverting your loyalties that it's often really hard to know who you are rooting for.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 62
RE: Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books - 29/5/2012 11:22:32 AM   
squeezyrider

For me as amazing as last night's episode was this was where I really started to see the limitations of the show vs the book.

It's all in the detail really, people like Sers Mandon Moore or Boros Blount have made little to no impact on me in the series and yet their actions particularly Moore are so significant. I think they did well with the look that Tyrion gave him just before he attacked in signifying this was a "friend" though otherwise you'd have no idea who he was.

But the thing i missed most was Pod. Pod saving Tyrion was probably my favourtie thing in the whole book but because we've not got any time to get to know Pod in the show it just didn't have the same impact.

I'm a bit confused as to how Tywin came to be riding in to save the day when the last we knew he was heading off to face Robb. Is this a TV thing or was this the same as the book I can't quite remember.

Otherwise as I've said it was amazing TV and although it affected the flow of the action I thought the scenes in Maegor's were brilliantly played.  

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 63
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 29/5/2012 11:24:58 AM   
SWOTBM

I thought the Stannis ''changes'' were not really changes- IIRC there was a passage about Stannis being the first one through the breach when putting down the Greyjoy rebellion (though I may be wrong on that). You could tell GRRM wrote that though because they had Stannis' character nailed- the bit where he corrects his adviser about the bodycount and his uninspiring speech, all very Stannis.

One very minor plot hole- when Tyrion was giving his speech it looked like he was giving it to a bunch of Lannister soldiers. Just seemed odd that he should be telling them to protect their city when presumably they live in the West somewhere....

I quite liked that rendition of Rains of Castamere at the credits, very fitting. U

Btw, here's the promo for next week, be ware of Youtube comments though- trolls and spoilers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMzsbKj6o3Y

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 64
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 29/5/2012 11:48:31 AM   
Rob

Yeah I don't think the changes were out of character.

SPOILERS BELOW for A Storm of Swords. Highlight to read

Given that he cuts through the Wildings at the end of the next book it's certainly consistent.

SPOILERS END

I think Tywin said that Stannis was 2 days away from Kings Landing and that Robb was doing something else so they needed to ride immediately. I don't think it was ever explicitly stated which way they were headed though. I could be wrong.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 65
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 29/5/2012 6:15:41 PM   
beebs_

I thought this was the best episode of the season so far. I wasn't bothered too much about the changes that were made. Well... apart from Tyrion's last bit. Hmmm.

But yeah. Good stuff.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 66
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 29/5/2012 7:54:29 PM   
musht

List of characters for Season 3, nice to see the Reeds will be making an appearance. Possible spoilers for Book 3, they've all moulded together for me so if anyone wants to confirm that feel free

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angelus

Some of those characters listed are from the first two books, the descriptions of the ones introduced in A Storm of Swords are fairly vague though. To be on the safe side, don't click the link if you haven't read past Clash of Kings.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/game-of-throne-season-3-cast/

< Message edited by musht -- 29/5/2012 8:56:32 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 67
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 29/5/2012 8:45:54 PM   
Angelus

Some of those characters listed are from the first two books, the descriptions of the ones introduced in A Storm of Swords are fairly vague though. To be on the safe side, don't click the link if you haven't read past Clash of Kings. Glad to see some of those inclusions (SPOILERS: Jojen and Meera, the Blackfish, the Queen of Thorns) for Season 3 though.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 68
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 29/5/2012 8:56:02 PM   
Angelus

Also, Blackwater was fucking great. I'd been looking forward to seeing that on screen ever since I read the book and it didn't disappoint.

Just to repeat, if you haven't read all the books, be wary of spoilers, especially on IMDb. My brother is only watching the show and had a decisive moment from Storm of Swords spoiled when he was looking at the Prometheus board earlier today.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 69
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 30/5/2012 12:09:30 AM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angelus

Also, Blackwater was fucking great. I'd been looking forward to seeing that on screen ever since I read the book and it didn't disappoint.

Just to repeat, if you haven't read all the books, be wary of spoilers, especially on IMDb. My brother is only watching the show and had a decisive moment from Storm of Swords spoiled when he was looking at the Prometheus board earlier today.

if it's what I think it is I would be so pissed off if I was you - part of me wants a mate to read it just so I can see their reaction to that bit.

I'd also be pissed off if I was in his shoes too, but I more if I was in yours

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 70
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 31/5/2012 9:35:32 AM   
sharkboy

Where to start, where to start?

Book deviations first of all I suppose.  I don't get how people are saying the Stannis of Blackwater isn't the Stannis of the novel.  Just because he's a dour old git doesn't mean he's not brave after all (and yes, he did lead the attack on the Greyjoy rebellion, and also held out against a long siege at Storm's End). He didn't lead the attack to inspire his troops, he did it because it was the kingly thing to do.  Personally, I think Stephen Dillane has hit the nail squarely on the head with his portrayal.

The battle itself - OK, given the constraints it was unlikely we were ever going to get the full sea battle, with 2 fleets, trebuchets and wildfire ships and a bloody big chain.  So in the circumstances, I was more than pleased with what ended up on screen.  My only complaint is that they didn't do enough to big up the role of Sers Mandon or Borous, which took away some of the impact of the final confrontation with Tyrion.

Still, it looks like a pretty packed finale next week, with some major plot lines to tie up on all fronts.  I've every faith that they'll pull it off though.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 71
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 31/5/2012 7:05:14 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Book deviations first of all I suppose. I don't get how people are saying the Stannis of Blackwater isn't the Stannis of the novel. Just because he's a dour old git doesn't mean he's not brave after all (and yes, he did lead the attack on the Greyjoy rebellion, and also held out against a long siege at Storm's End). He didn't lead the attack to inspire his troops, he did it because it was the kingly thing to do. Personally, I think Stephen Dillane has hit the nail squarely on the head with his portrayal.

The portrayal of Stannis by Dillane is fantastic and exactly how I'd pictured him but you can't say that the Stannis of Blackwater is the same Stannis as in the novel as it explicitly says in the novel that Stannis is the kind of king to hang at the back and let the cannon fodder do the fighting and that's exactly what he did in the novel. I was just surprised to see him at the forefront of the attack in the show as it's the complete opposite of what he actually did in the battle in the novel. It made Stannis look more Kingly than he appears in the novel...

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 72
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 3/6/2012 11:09:11 PM   
Chief Wiggum

well not long until the final episode of the book - really looking forward to it, there's just so much that they're going to have to fit in to the one episode!

mind you, I'm more than just a little sad that they can't just carry on straight into series/book 3 next week, it's probably the best of the lot.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 73
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 4/6/2012 2:07:46 PM   
SWOTBM

I just watched episode 10 and went over to the ASOIAF forums and found out their entire website is down- they are upgrading their servers :(

quote:

So. Westeros.org is presently a bit like one of Stannis's men at the Blackwater: screaming, flailing, covered in flames.

So, when does season 3 start?

Post #: 74
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 4/6/2012 9:38:19 PM   
Chief Wiggum

my reaction at the end of tonights episode.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O59QrxEhx2g

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 75
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 5/6/2012 1:52:07 PM   
musht

Overall I think the first season was definitely the better that 2. Season 2 was great but a limited run of episodes meant they had to skip over a lot of the political workings which I feel was the best part of the books.

A lot of things have been changed which I'll be interesting to see how they work out and are explained. For instance how did Stannis get out of Blackwater. I'm going to have to remind myself how Book 2 ended as I don't want to stray into spoilers for Book 3.

A little thing but I was disappointed with how they handled the Loras in Renley's armour, I know it's not important in the books but it was significant and the way it was done in the show, I don't see why they bothered.

Also disappointed with Tyrion's wound, could've been more horrific in my view.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 76
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 6/6/2012 11:57:24 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Nice set up to Season Three, the true finale was the battle last week. Must admit I was unimpressed with House of The Undying and the deviation from the book. Maybe they blew the budget on last weeks battle but it would have been nice to see the tower collapse, also the Warlock was most unimpressive.

Everything else was good for me....looking forward to Season Three.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 77
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 6/6/2012 5:28:12 PM   
Rob

All in all a great season with some truly epic moments but the finale was a bit of a let down if truth be told. I was expecting the House of the Undying to further develop Dany and also offer some prophecies / hints for later events in the series.

That said it still the greatest thing on TV by a country mile.

Post #: 78
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 6/6/2012 11:36:30 PM   
beebs_

I was disappointed with Tyrion's papercut. Weak! Also, the whitewalker just looking at Sam and riding on? Errr... OK?

This season hasn't been as successful as the first IMO. I think that's down to the scope widening (as it does in the books). Season 1 was much more focused. I felt time was wasted on new scenes and dumbing down characters rather than trying to tell the story.

The best episode of the season was Blackwater, no doubt.

Bring on next season...

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 79
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 8/6/2012 12:06:41 PM   
losthighway

OK folks, i'm a lazy reader... I own the first two books and started the original but never finished it, instead opting to watch the tv show instead. Now i'm considering picking up the third book as i'll have a year to work my way through it but what i'm wanting to know is (minus spoilers, if possible)...

Could i pick up the third book and understand it or has S2 been significantly different from the novel??

Any help much appreciated.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 80
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 8/6/2012 12:33:03 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I'd start at the beginning and work my way through them book by book - the TV series glosses over far too much, and whilst you'll be able to pick it up on the whole, you'll miss the detail that goes into the books, which is infinitely better than anything you'd get from the stuff shown on screen

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 81
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 9/6/2012 11:41:21 AM   
squeezyrider

I've read to the end of book 3 part 1. I agree with the Chief there but if you really wanted to skip ahead I think you could get away with skipping book one as the show was very faithful to that book but too much has changed throughout series two. In order to fit everything in some major events and characters have been left out.

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

Post #: 82
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 26/6/2012 2:22:21 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Having read the first two books and catching up on the series it's interesting how much they change, a lot of stuff plain didn't happen in the books! Renly copping off with Loras (there's been no hint whatsoever that he was even gay), the dragons being kidnapped, the whole Arya/ Lord Tywin bit at Harrenhal (it was actually Roose Bolton in the book), Joffrey torturing the girls Tyrion sent, Jon Snow buggering off with the wilding girl (he actually just let her go) and gave himself up to the wildlings later on - there's probably loads more I've forgotten and I've still got four episodes to watch.

In one way it's a bit annoying to see things veer from what you expect but it actually keeps it fresh for book readers so there's pluses and minuses

I think there's a few hints in the books that Renly and Loras are gay although I'm not sure I would have spotted them if I hadn't already seen the series. 'The Rainbow Guard' being the most obvious. I'm also pretty sure there's something about Margery being a maid and a quip that she's likely to stay that way in Renlys bed.

BTW - I've now just started Book Four

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 26/6/2012 2:30:38 PM >

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 83
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 5/7/2012 3:42:07 PM   
SWOTBM

WE HAZ CASTING NEWZ

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/02/game-of-thrones-the-blackfish-has-been-cast

Can't see it though tbh. I imagined him to look lean/stern. Still, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Post #: 84
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 6/7/2012 6:58:54 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

WE HAZ CASTING NEWZ

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/02/game-of-thrones-the-blackfish-has-been-cast

Can't see it though tbh. I imagined him to look lean/stern. Still, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

That's perfect casting for me; just how I imagined him, hopefully he can act and is given a decent arc. The link below also has news on a new female character called Miranda, speculation it could be Myranda Royce or a completely new character

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/game-of-thrones/21857/game-of-thrones-season-3-casting-news

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 85
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 6/7/2012 7:04:38 PM   
Woger

I wonder who will play Ramsey.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 86
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 6/7/2012 9:33:52 PM   
Funkyrae

I'd quite like to see Iwan Rheon in the role. He's got the right pale eyes and can pull off weird and psychotic pretty well as anyone who watched Misfits can attest.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 87
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/7/2012 8:48:04 PM   
big dawg

I read through books 3 and 4 and a good bit into 5 during my holiday last week. I wonder how much they're going to have to ditch from the books. Cant wait to see the Red Wedding as well.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 88
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/7/2012 1:30:06 AM   
Angelus

Video of new cast members for Season 3 [click] and a few others named here

< Message edited by Angelus -- 14/7/2012 2:08:35 AM >

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 89
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/7/2012 12:00:18 PM   
SWOTBM

Good find. We already knew about the Blackfish, but I like his accent so maybe he will be better than I expected (he just doesn't look like a great warrior...). The woman playing Missandei has awesome hair and is now the most attractive woman on the show imo. Good call on Mackenzie Crook. I never really thought Shireen had that much screen time in the books so maybe they are changing up the story somewhat? Jojen looks the part, very big dark eyes (though I thought his were green in the book). Not sure about Meera, she looks too young (I thought they were increasing the age of some of the younger characters [eg Magaery Tyrell] and not attractive as I imagined her to look). They have got Beric down pat, love the accent. Best casting yet though has to be Thoros (maybe it's the beard though, I am partial to beards). Nice to see the Queen of Thorns making an appearance, but I thought the new look Magaery would have made her role redundant- also strange how she pronounced Olenna (Oli-anna? I always thought it was O-len-na). Very good news all-in-all

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI