Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 11:56:12 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

I think Option B is the best course of action, we already have the Book Thread for discussion of themes from the whole of the books.

a couple of things that stand out

- Are spoilers from all books allowed if they are headlined and Invisiotexted

-What constitutes a book - as noted above the later hardbacks are split into 2 paperbacks. I would suggest using the Hardback books because that is the way that the ASOIAF Wiki is split up.

-At what point do we move on to the next book - at the end of one series or the beginning of the next one; I would favour the former.

All that being said if we go down the Option B with future spoilers invisiotexted - have a policy that unless you are positive which book it happens in - check http://awoiaf.westeros.org/ to be sure

I think if we go with (b) all spoiler pretty much have to be invisio'ed. Regarding the ''book 3'' thing- there are arguments for and against, I think it would be better to keep the SoS books separate (but that's just because I read them that way)- although I don't mind if we decide otherwise. I think logically it would make sense for us to move on to the next book when season 3 starts (to give people time to read/catch up). But that means the discussion can't really progress for a whole year as it's limited to book 2. Maybe just give a couple of months and then move on to ''book 3''?

With the admin out of the way, what are everyone's predictions for tomorrow's episode?

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 31
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/5/2012 10:47:00 AM   
Chief Wiggum

Also, in terms of TV Show shenanigans - I presume that the UK Speed embargo applies to the episode (nothing before it happens on screen in the UK)

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 32
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/5/2012 11:23:17 AM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

Also, in terms of TV Show shenanigans - I presume that the UK Speed embargo applies to the episode (nothing before it happens on screen in the UK)

Hell yes ! Looking forward to tonight's episode, really can't fault the last two. I still can't find anything concrete on Ramsays casting, I'm starting to wonder if he will play a part this series.

Anyone from the show who's really suprised you this time, I think Allen has really impressed this series, he's hitting all the right notes as Theon.

Post #: 33
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/5/2012 10:46:30 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Right, considering that it is now post embargo I shall share my thoughts...

Spoilers Book 2

I really liked the way they got round the Ramsay/reek issue - I couldn't figure out how they were going to do it but, as always, the simple answer is the best answer. (although I did notice the signposts for next weeks reveal)

I'm not sure if I like the Harrenhall diversion of canon, whilst the Arya/Tywin relationship is pure, unadulterated, deep fried gold, it doesn't seem to sit well with my perception of Tywin from the books. I always thought that he was a cold, calculating, selfish character (not in an "all of these toys are mine" but purely in it for his self interest and that the Lannister family) - If book Tywin figured out that he had the daughter of a highborn North Lord/knight, he would have used that to further his goals, although you'd have thought that he'd have worked out that "a mystery highborn northern girl" could only really be Arya Stark, as Tywin was never stupid, or sentimental.

At this point I was going to point to the family words "Family, Duty, Honour" to demonstrate this, but then checked and they're the words of House Tully*.

And of course we have the build up to the House of The Undying, which went really well - I loved the coup de etat that went on in Qarth.

* D+ see me after class [/ Maester Luwin]

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 34
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/5/2012 11:16:20 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

Right, considering that it is now post embargo I shall share my thoughts...

Spoilers Book 2

I really liked the way they got round the Ramsay/reek issue - I couldn't figure out how they were going to do it but, as always, the simple answer is the best answer. (although I did notice the signposts for next weeks reveal)

I'm not sure if I like the Harrenhall diversion of canon, whilst the Arya/Tywin relationship is pure, unadulterated, deep fried gold, it doesn't seem to sit well with my perception of Tywin from the books. I always thought that he was a cold, calculating, selfish character (not in an "all of these toys are mine" but purely in it for his self interest and that the Lannister family) - If book Tywin figured out that he had the daughter of a highborn North Lord/knight, he would have used that to further his goals, although you'd have thought that he'd have worked out that "a mystery highborn northern girl" could only really be Arya Stark, as Tywin was never stupid, or sentimental.

At this point I was going to point to the family words "Family, Duty, Honour" to demonstrate this, but then checked and they're the words of House Tully*.

And of course we have the build up to the House of The Undying, which went really well - I loved the coup de etat that went on in Qarth.

* D+ see me after class [/ Maester Luwin]

I must have missed that or I don't remember exactly what happened in the book :/

I'm right there with you on Tywin- it's a different interpretation and although it's perfectly awesome in its own right, I just find it jarring compared to what I've read about him (I imagined him as you describe). It's strange though, in the first season he was much more book-like; remember the way he put Jaime down when he was skinning that deer? I thought it was strange that he got Arya to eat his meal, at first I thought the writers were taking liberties with his generousity, but I was reading through the ASIOF forums and one poster suggested it was because he thought it might be poisoned (especially since he was paranoid about being assassinated). Very good explanation- although I'm not sure the writers intended us to interpret it that way

The murdering of the thirteen in Qarth is different and I'll be interested to see how it plays out. Also, I was under the impression that Quaithe was mysterious- but as it turns out she works round the corner painting half naked men

Quite a lot of the folk over at the ASOIF were up in arms about Jaime killing his cousin. I don't have a problem with it imo, he is a nasty piece of work (especially from the insights we get into his thinking in his POV chapters). I think the actor they have got is very good- has the looks, charisma, wit etc.

The whole Jon/Ygritte storyline has completely AWOL and it will take a masterstroke to recover it imo.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 35
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 14/5/2012 11:33:45 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Just in case the non-bookies come in

HUGE BIG ASS SPOILERS
if you read the rest of this post and whine, tough shit, you were warned

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

I must have missed that or I don't remember exactly what happened in the book :/

Reek is at the castle and joins in the hunt, taking with him his bag of tricks - Theon sends everybody back to the Castle, Dagmer included, after Reek gives him the cunning plan of flaying the heads of the two orphans sent to the mill, and tarring them so they are unrecognisable when they are brought back to Winterfell and presented as Bran and Rickon

edit - I did see some uproar about Jaime, I agree that it's against canon, but I think it'll work well in terms of future events

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 14/5/2012 11:37:47 PM >

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 36
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 15/5/2012 9:54:23 AM   
Rob

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR A CLASH OF KINGS

A really strong episode in my opinion. Theon is just a dick but is a far more rounded character than in the books and I think Alfie Allen is doing a great job.

I loved the extended view of Harrenhal as it emphasised how freaky the place is.

Jon and Ygritte - really enjoyed their scenes but not sure how I feel about the slight deviation in plot with regard to Qhorin but in some respects I think it could make sense if both he and Jon and captured and that's when he gives Jon the order.

The Qarth scenes were excellent and gave Dany a compelling reason to visit the House of the Undying and provided some drama to what in the book was somewhat pedestrian.

Is the woman in the mask that speaks to Jorah a new character or is she in the books?

EDIT - Just worked out that the woman in the mask in Quaithe - http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Quaithe

< Message edited by Rob -- 15/5/2012 10:00:51 AM >

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 37
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 15/5/2012 2:50:26 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

If book Tywin figured out that he had the daughter of a highborn North Lord/knight, he would have used that to further his goals, although you'd have thought that he'd have worked out that "a mystery highborn northern girl" could only really be Arya Stark, as Tywin was never stupid, or sentimental.

The only thing I'm thinking is that perhaps Tywin hasn't yet been made aware of the fact that Arya is missing from Kings Landing and therefore hasn't made the association? Not sure if it as been mentioned in his scenes (was it last week with Balish?), it's certainly something that the Lannisters don't want getting out so word might not have been sent.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 38
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 15/5/2012 3:08:01 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

The only thing I'm thinking is that perhaps Tywin hasn't yet been made aware of the fact that Arya is missing from Kings Landing and therefore hasn't made the association? Not sure if it as been mentioned in his scenes (was it last week with Balish?), it's certainly something that the Lannisters don't want getting out so word might not have been sent.

Or he suspects the true identity of his cup holder but meanwhile thinks it'll be more fun to control this particular pawn himself.  Not to mention the fun he can later have at Cersei's expense

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 39
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 15/5/2012 8:14:01 PM   
target

I'm not sure I liked Jamie killing that family member. Just to escape for a little bit. It was out of character. And its not something book Jamie would have done.

It made him seem a bit psychotic.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 40
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 15/5/2012 8:28:06 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: target

I'm not sure I liked Jamie killing that family member. Just to escape for a little bit. It was out of character. And its not something book Jamie would have done.

It made him seem a bit psychotic.

Yeah I preferred it when he was just having sex wit his sister and throwing children out of windows

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to target)
Post #: 41
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 15/5/2012 8:45:25 PM   
target

Pushing Bran out of the window was a terrible thing to do, but at least he did it for a reason. I'm sure Robert would have gone mental if he found out. And would have probably had them all killed.

Also the jail break could have been done without killing that guy. it was a bit lame. Tricking the guard to come in then stealing his keys.

Other than that though I thought it was a good episode.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 42
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/5/2012 7:46:42 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Just this minute finished the second book and have a few thoughts...

* I'm not sure w by they've changed the Jon Snow story. He seems a much more whiney, naive and stupid character in the TV series than he does in the book.

* I think having Arya as Tywins cup girl makes for a more intense story than that in the book

* it's not come across on the TV series just how much Shae means to Tyrion compared to the book

* The guy playing Joffrey is doing a damn good job

They've left an awful lot to fit into the remaining episodes....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to target)
Post #: 43
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/5/2012 8:16:05 PM   
Chief Wiggum

yep it's going to be a busy 3 episodes - I think they need to devote at least half an episode to the Battle of the Blackwater alone.

Also if any of our Norn Iron bretheren want to they're casting for extras at the moment...

https://www.extrasni.com/news

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 44
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/5/2012 9:32:49 PM   
target

They said there would be some book 3 stuff in this season too. It kind off set it up in this episode... dont want to say what though because YFU hasnt started the third book yet.

Post #: 45
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 18/5/2012 9:37:42 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm awaiting it's arrival! All 1200 odd pages!

I think the Battle of Blackwater is going to be a whole episode directed by Neil Marshall....

(in reply to target)
Post #: 46
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 22/5/2012 12:05:50 AM   
Chief Wiggum

Right, so another episode has finished, my thoughts...

John/Qhorin - they've wrapped up the hole that could have been, but I don't like the way that Jon is being portrayed as a weak liability compared to the books

Dany - useless waste of screen time - just go and get your fucking dragons you daft bitch.

Tyrion and Varys - Excellent together, I loved the scene on the ramparts between the two of them, and their sarcasm re: Joff

Kingslayer/Brienne - Excellent potential to replace the Tywin/Arya combo - what is it about the Lannisters, i can't help but think they've got all the good actors and lines.

Couple of Spoilers for the show

A casting session has been leaked, with them finally casting Edmure Tully

The final episode is apparantly going to be titled "Valhar Morghulis" - A man will be seen again I think.

Post #: 47
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 22/5/2012 11:46:01 AM   
Angelus

I could watch an entire series of the Kingslayer and the Wench bitching at each other.

We'll see Jaqen again in the finale, I'm sure of it.

Rattleshirt looks more intimidating than I remember from the books.

Alternative dialogue for the episode:

Quorin: "How did you get captured so easily? Where's your direwolf?"
Jon: "Ghost disappeared again. They need the CGI budget for the Blackwater battle."

Dany: "I'm going to take my dragons back. With FIRE and BLOOD!"
Jorah: "You've been saying that since the last episode. Why haven't you gone to the House of the Undying yet? Also, please sleep with me."
Dany: "I need something to do in the season finale. I will take back what is mine. With FIRE and BLOOD! Also, no."
Jorah: "Bollocks."

Robb: "Seven hells, Mum. You let the Kingslayer go!"
Cat: "Yes, I did. You got off lucky. Imagine the crazy shit I would have pulled if we'd heard something drastic had happened, like Bran and Rickon had been killed. You'd probably do something daft as well, for example shagging the supposedly-foreign nurse who is definitely nothing to do with the Lannisters."
Robb: "She's well fit, though. And I'm a Stark: I don't need an excuse to do something daft."

< Message edited by Angelus -- 22/5/2012 12:16:23 PM >

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

Post #: 48
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 22/5/2012 11:58:20 AM   
Chief

All these GoT threads are becoming as confusing as the bloodlines and allegiances in the books!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 49
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 22/5/2012 12:00:51 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: target

They said there would be some book 3 stuff in this season too. It kind off set it up in this episode... dont want to say what though because YFU hasnt started the third book yet.

A good point has been made here - we've tried extra hard with GoT to avoid spoilers to the extent that we've started this book-speed thread.  Now, most posting here are assuming it is one season, one book so I think it's fair that comments in this thread avoid any spoilers past the corresponding events in A Clash of Kings.  If, as suggested, some plot lines from Song of Swords start to appear in the next couple of episodes, maybe it would be best to discuss those particular events in the bookworms thread to avoid dropping any big spoilers on those who haven't yet reached Book 3?  Thoughts?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to target)
Post #: 50
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 22/5/2012 12:11:18 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angelus

Quorin: "How did you get captured so easily? Where's your direwolf?"
Jon: "Ghost disappeared again. They need the CGI budget for the Blackwater battle."

Dany: "I'm going to take my dragons back. With FIRE and BLOOD!"
Jorah: "You've been saying that since the last episode. Why haven't you gone to the House of the Undying yet? Also, please sleep with me."
Dany: "I need something to do in the season finale. I will take back what is mine. With FIRE and BLOOD! Also, no."
Jorah: "Bollocks."

Robb: "Seven hells, Mum. You let the Kingslayer go!"
Cat: "Yes, I did. You got off lucky. Imagine the crazy shit I would have pulled if something drastic had happened if we'd heard something like Bran and Rickon had been killed. You'd probably do something daft as well, for example shagging the supposedly-foreign nurse who is definitely nothing to do with the Lannisters."
Robb: "She's well fit, though. And I'm a Stark: I don't need an excuse to do something daft."

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 51
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 22/5/2012 12:12:14 PM   
Angelus

I think that's fair enough, Sharky. We don't want to spoil A Storm of Swords for anyone. I'd also advise those who haven't read all the books to stay away from IMDb and Reddit too. The net is dark and full of spoilers.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 52
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 22/5/2012 3:57:31 PM   
beebs_

I thought this week's episode was ok. I'll even forgive them not having Arya kill the guard on her escape. But for some reason.I can't take the fact they're making Robb's breaking of the Frey agreement so different to the book The over the top love for lady nurse is such bollocks.

Doesn't it feel like they're merging books 2&3?

I'm with the others who said that while the Arya/Tywin scenes may have been a bit of fun they go against the tywin of the books. All for a cheap "thrill" of arya contemplating stabbing Tywin in the neck or teleporting Littlefinger to almost recognise her... Last week was terrible because they tried to humanize queen bitch Cersi. Don't. Just no. Ultimately. It's all for naught as tywin buggered off this week and Cersi is back to being evil.

Not enough Jamie and Breinne. "wench!". Haha.

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 23/5/2012 8:31:45 AM >

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 53
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 23/5/2012 8:47:43 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

They must be starting to merge the books as what you stated never happened in Book Two, must be in Book Three. I've edited your post to protect other readers that haven't read Book Three yet. I think this is where these threads are going to get complicated again.

As for the episode, I've seen it being described as filler but I think it was more than just filler. It was more character development and setting things up nicely for the remaining two episodes. A noticed there was a lot of 'book dialouge' this week.

Agree with Chief Wiggum about Jon and it's what I was eluding to after last weeks episode. They seem to be making him into a completely different character from the books...

I thought they might leave the Jaqen H'ghar reveal until the finale and it seems like that's what they're doing. Much like Danys dragons from the Season One finale they'll need a 'fantasy' edge to the finale....

Also, they haven't made as much of a deal as the books did about the whereabouts of Barristan Selmy. By the end of book two there's still no sign of him but they do mention him on a few occasions. I wonder if the producers plan on using him?

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 54
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 23/5/2012 7:45:16 PM   
beebs_

So sorry about that book spoiler. I thought they were merging it. The whole Cat/Robb stuff is a bit squished. I'm guessing they're doing that because Robb is hardly in the books. He's always off at war leaving Cat at Riverrun (is that it?) to let Jamie go etc... Having him around is a way to get us to root for.

I still call bollocks to the Robb/Nurse love. So predictable.They're trying too hard to get us to love them.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

Post #: 55
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 28/5/2012 3:22:42 PM   
Chief Wiggum

god damn it, really don't want to post show spoilers; I suppose that this will have to suffice until post embargo

"HALFMAN! HALFMAN! HALFMAN!"

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 56
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 28/5/2012 3:43:33 PM   
Timon

"Those are brave men knocking at our door... let's go and KILL THEM!"

I thought it was excellent. Sure there was no 'chain', but I thought what they did was excellent and while Cersei's drunken ranting did break the pacing, the final scene was fantastic.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 57
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 28/5/2012 3:44:07 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Best episode of TV I've seen in the last ten years.....that's all I'm saying until after 10pm tonight!

Post #: 58
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 28/5/2012 3:49:12 PM   
Rob

I'm probably risking spoilers just being in this thread before watching tonight's episode but I can't fricking wait!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 59
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 28/5/2012 3:51:43 PM   
Woger

Some one on A Forum of Ice and Fire said something interesting; basically Martin has some involvement with the series and any deviations from the books must have been run by him first so any changes from the book mustn't be that important or they might get tied up somehow at another point.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI