Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Game of Thrones - for those who have read ALL the books

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Game of Thrones - for those who have read ALL the books Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game of Thrones - for those who have read ALL the books - 9/5/2012 8:30:51 PM   
Rinc

Hello all and welcome to the thread for those who have read the books and wish to discuss anything related to the show and books. This means spoilers are allowed but beware if you haven't read all of the books, you may well be spoiled.

Obviously you're still welcome in the other thread to comment on the show but be warned any spoilers posted in there will cause me to go all direwolf on your ass.

(This is the last time I'll post in here unless I read the books in the near future)

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 20/6/2014 12:54:54 PM >

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]
Post #: 1
RE: Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books - 9/5/2012 8:54:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

Proceeds to talk about every major event in all the books-

But more seriously - interesting about the ending to this episode - I guess Dany doesn't do much in book 2, and as long as she ends up where she needs to be I don't mind them doing this.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 2
RE: Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books - 9/5/2012 9:06:28 PM   
SWOTBM

Good move, but most of the book/TV comparisons are taking place in the bookworms thread- definitely stops unintentional spoilers in the TV-only GoT thread. Do we need to spoiler tag our posts in here? I can imagine if someone came in here by accident they could come across some rather earth-shattering spoilers...

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books - 9/5/2012 9:10:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

If you watch the Game of Thrones you either win or get spoiled.

And I wasn't aware of the Bookworm thing - this just seems more logical.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 4
RE: Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have rea... - 9/5/2012 9:18:43 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Perhaps in this thread we could make sure that everybody posts at the top of each post which book they have read up to

So for example I would post something like - NB this is a hypothetical spoiler as an example

*************************************************************SPOILERS ALL************************************************************************

So I wonder how they're going to deal with XYZ, that happened in the book, but wasn't shown on screen, but is crucial to the plot in someway, shape or form - I mean Leaving out Rooty Tooty MacPooty-Ooty, how could they have done such a thing!

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

I've also changed the title to Book Speed Game of Thrones - so that it's clear from the front of the forum that it's the book speed thread

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 9/5/2012 9:22:57 PM >

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5
RE: Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have rea... - 9/5/2012 9:25:04 PM   
SWOTBM

Yeah that's a good idea and kinda addresses the point that Doubtlesswonder raised in the other thread that people who have read the books haven't all read up to ADWD. Don't think there is a proper solution tbh

Btw, Rooty Tooty MacPooty-Ooty is starting to catch on

Also, I read the books a while ago and they are all burred together- I really don't know which events happen in which book....

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 9/5/2012 9:29:44 PM >

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 6
RE: Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books - 9/5/2012 9:27:35 PM   
Dirk Miggler

So Ramsay Bolton, the show seems to be taking a different approach with regards the Boltons, I can understand why, the shows already bursting with multiple plot strands and characters, going the way of the books could have just been a bit too much they have simplified his introduction. Makes sense for the non book reader.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have rea... - 9/5/2012 9:37:32 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Yeah that's a good idea and kinda addresses the point that Doubtlesswonder raised in the other thread that people who have read the books haven't all read up to ADWD. Don't think there is a proper solution tbh

Btw, Rooty Tooty MacPooty-Ooty is starting to catch on

I got if from a Skyrim post on another forum - somebody had named they're character that, and was a dual wielding bad-ass - I read it in a Mr Garrison voice too, which kind of made it stick

quote:

Also, I read the books a while ago and they are all burred together- I really don't know which events happen in which book....

Same with me - hence the Spoilers All rather than a specific acronym

RE: the Boltons

*************************************************************SPOILERS ALL****************************************************************************

I'm not too sure if they have gone in a drastic new direction for the Boltons - Ramsay was always an opportunistic little shit with a chip on his shoulder, Roose was just a shit, who would take an opportunity to better his house as much as he could, IIRC House Bolton was made to bend the knee a couple of generations ago, rather than being a loyal bannerman for centuries

ASOIAF is a lot like the wire in that regard - a lot of the characters act in a rational, self-centred fashion - the ones that don't seem to get fucked over, and where we start with Ned being the epitomy of what we expect a "good" lord to be, he then gets shafted by the utterly selfish alliance of Joffery and Janos Slynt.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 9/5/2012 9:44:55 PM >

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 8
RE: Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books - 9/5/2012 9:37:51 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Why not just talk no further than the book the series we are watching now is based on, season 2 finished book three commence if the conversion naturally goes to further books put up a spoiler warning just in case.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 9
RE: Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have rea... - 9/5/2012 9:46:15 PM   
Chief Wiggum

That's a good idea, I would be happy about that - I'd be happier to discuss further as I'm nearing the end of Book 2 in my re-read

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 9/5/2012 9:47:36 PM >

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 10
RE: Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have rea... - 9/5/2012 10:43:57 PM   
beebs_

I've nearly finished book 3.

I'm really not feeling this season. I started reading the books after S1. I think it sticks pretty closely to the first book. S2 had a lot to live up to. There are a load more characters and it all just gets more sprawling. I think that 30% of the time they've made good choices. But. The way they've handled some of the characters particularly LIttlefinger is poor. From the first episode with that scene with Cersi that alot of people were raving about, to him popping up every week in a new location in Westeros... I feel like they're just shoehorning the actor in as they've got him. Also over using him makes the character look like an idiot. I liked how they used Tywin last season. He was hardly in it but he made a massive impact. They're pushing it this year with him. I think they're getting away with it more because we all love Arya and Tywin so these ridiculous heart to hearts they're having are given a lot more leeway.

I'm worried about the lack of Meera and her bro Jojen. I do like Osha and what they've done with her works... But still.

Also I don't think they've handled showing the suffering of the smallfolk of Kings Landing very well. The week before the riot Tyrion was walking the streets with Bronn while food was being cut up. Weren't people going hungry? Getting desperate?

Robb and the mystery woman? Not so hot on it.

Anyway... Bring on rest of the season. I want to see if they can bring it together.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

Post #: 11
RE: Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books - 9/5/2012 11:02:31 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Proceeds to talk about every major event in all the books-

But more seriously - interesting about the ending to this episode - I guess Dany doesn't do much in book 2, and as long as she ends up where she needs to be I don't mind them doing this.

You're right it's really in book 3 that she becomes intere- . . . book 3 part 2 she does loa- . . . BOOK 4, I loved her in this book- . . . 6, she really came into her own in-

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 12
RE: Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have rea... - 10/5/2012 9:30:21 AM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

I'm not too sure if they have gone in a drastic new direction for the Boltons - Ramsay was always an opportunistic little shit with a chip on his shoulder, Roose was just a shit, who would take an opportunity to better his house as much as he could, IIRC House Bolton was made to bend the knee a couple of generations ago, rather than being a loyal bannerman for centuries

Quoting myself - but with a point

ACOK Spoilers

OK so whilst re-reading ACOK - I may have found something to back up the sentiment

When Ygritte is telling Jon Snow about the tale of Brandon and Bael (Brandon The Daughterless - Link ) She mentions that the offspring was killed by one of his bannermen that wore his skin like a cape.

Post #: 13
RE: Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have rea... - 10/5/2012 9:37:13 AM   
Rob

Maybe we should have three threads! One for the TV show, one for the Books in conjunction with the TV show at similar speed, and then one where anything goes.

So as it stands we can discuss everything up to the end of Book 2 but further than that we need Spoiler warnings.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 14
RE: Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have rea... - 10/5/2012 9:46:20 AM   
Chief Wiggum

Well there's always the Bookworm thread for "anything goes"

I'm putting spoiler warnings in anyway, just in case an arsey TV speed poster comes in, they've only got themselves to blame, but it won't stop them from having a shit fit when it happens

EDIT - Are we agreed that we allow Book 3 talk once the 2nd Series finishes, or waiting for the 3rd series to start before we mention what happens

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 10/5/2012 9:48:55 AM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 15
RE: Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books - 11/5/2012 4:10:01 PM   
squeezyrider

I've been deperate to talk about the differences between the books so far but haven't been able to in either the show thread for fear of creating spoilers or in the Bookworms thread for fear of being spoiled. ( I've just started book three ) If we could keep this thread to discussing only the differences between whatever book is currently being shown on TV and again the implications only up to the end of that book that would be perfect.

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 16
RE: Game of Thrones - for those who have read the books - 11/5/2012 4:14:00 PM   
squeezyrider

Spoilers book / series 2

With that in mind I take it we're not going to get the Reed's in this series? Looks like Osha has taken over their role. I think the situation with The Bastard of Bolton is going to be quite hard to address as we currently have no idea what he's like as we've lost the widow sub plot.

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 17
RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read... - 11/5/2012 11:29:13 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Spoilers Book 2

I have to say I'm of a mind that getting rid of the Reeds may not be a bad thing - Osha can act as the green dream guide and IIRC they also took the Maester with them as well (in the TV show) which will allow them to explain some of the canon and Lore of ASOIAF among other things - [edit - just checked and the Maester isn't with them]

That and I didn't really like the Reeds, but that may just have been from spending too much time with New-Agey fuckers at festivals as far as I am concerned, if the Reeds were alive in the UK today, they'd be listening to the levellers, drinking red stripe/special brew and using baler twine to as a lead for their dogs all the while talking of energies, lay lines, and the healing power of crystals. - Fuck 'em!

I've just moved on in the re-read to book 3, but I was wondering what they've got to cram into 4 episodes (on book 3 of the re-read, have had a bit of marathon of Series 1 of the show in the last couple of days, it's all gone a bit wrong in what's happenned where)

I know that we have got the Battle of the Blackwater, The incident of the hot soup in the night time, Ramsey Snow(bolton) turning up to Winterfell.

But there are things that happen in Book 3 that happen before the end of book 2 (chronologically speaking) so I wonder if they'll include those to ease the telling of the story.

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 11/5/2012 11:48:20 PM >

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 18
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 11/5/2012 11:42:30 PM   
musht

Spoilers for Book 2

The only problem I foresee in getting rid of the Reeds is how they're going to separate Bran and Rickon.

Spoilers for ADWD in Inviso text As far as I can see the fact that Rickon is sent to Skagos with Osha is proving to be a very important plot point for Davos and the Starks in general

< Message edited by musht -- 12/5/2012 12:16:56 AM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 19
RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have read... - 11/5/2012 11:50:16 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I think you might want to move the ADWD invisiotext up a paragraph musht.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 20
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 11/5/2012 11:53:07 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

Spoilers Book 2

I have to say I'm of a mind that getting rid of the Reeds may not be a bad thing - Osha can act as the green dream guide and IIRC they also took the Maester with them as well (in the TV show) which will allow them to explain some of the canon and Lore of ASOIAF among other things

That and I didn't really like the Reeds, but that may just have been from spending too much time with New-Agey fuckers at festivals as far as I am concerned, if the Reeds were alive in the UK today, they'd be listening to the levellers, drinking red stripe/special brew and using baler twine to as a lead for their dogs all the while talking of energies, lay lines, and the healing power of crystals. - Fuck 'em!

I've just moved on in the re-read to book 3, but I was wondering what they've got to cram into 4 episodes (on book 3 of the re-read, have had a bit of marathon of Series 1 of the show in the last couple of days, it's all gone a bit wrong in what's happenned where)

I know that we have got the Battle of the Blackwater, The incident of the hot soup in the night time, Ramsey Snow(bolton) turning up to Winterfell.

But there are things that happen in Book 3 that happen before the end of book 2 (chronologically speaking) so I wonder if they'll include those to ease the telling of the story.

We can't be friends anymore I have no idea in what order the events that I am going to talk about occur so the following post contains SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS- I've invisio'ed it:

I'm not too keen on Jojen, but I really hope Meera and Bran get together at some point- either with Bran being King in the North with Meera as his Queen or just generally husband/wife. I think they are going to be key though, what with them being related to Howland Reed (aka Westeros' man of mystery who knows what went down at the Tower of Joy) and some of the backstory they fill in (it would be plain weird for Osha to tell Bran the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree). The Crannogmen are so interesting- I can't wait until we finally get to see Greywatch Watch.

From memory I thought Bran et al initially go out, backtrack and hide in the crypts. Theon goes out looking for them and kills ''Bran'' and ''Rickon''. But shortly thereafter Winterfell is sacked- and this is when Bran et al emerge from the crypts. Luwin doesn't go with them- IIRC they meet him dying by the Godswood and then they set off on their journey proper.

It will be hard to cram all that stuff into the last couple of episodes, but I reckon Jaime gets released this week. Do we know if Mance has been cast?

Post #: 21
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 12:05:15 AM   
Chief Wiggum

Yeah, you are right - The second escape was fresh in my mind, so presumed it was that;

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 22
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 12:18:39 AM   
musht

quote:

I think you might want to move the ADWD invisiotext up a paragraph musht.

Is that better? Or worse?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 23
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 12:26:01 AM   
SWOTBM

Just to clarify; when people talk about book 3- are we talking about the whole of Storm of Swords or just the first book of it? The paperback was split into two so I always consider the third book the first half of SoS

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 24
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 12:30:50 AM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Just to clarify; when people talk about book 3- are we talking about the whole of Storm of Swords or just the first book of it? The paperback was split into two so I always consider the third book the first half of SoS

I was confused on that point as well, hence I said ADWD instead of book 6, because technically it's book 5. An agreed consensus would be useful

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 25
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 5:06:08 PM   
elab49

ABsolutely.

We've had a request but we want to make sure everyone (or nearly everyone) agrees before we do anything. Do the posters using this thread want

a) a general 'I've read the books, not sure which things happened in, but I want to discuss the TV show in that context'

OR

b) this thread is solely for discussion of the series to the point it has reached in the book currently on screen

If the consensus is b) we'll make clear up front that anything beyond the current book is a spoiler - and if you're referencing a point you'd need to be very clear which book you mean, to be fair to other posters.

We'll leave this a while and, whatever most people decide, we'll amend the top post to reflect that.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 26
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 5:26:44 PM   
SWOTBM

I think (b) is probably fairer to those posters who haven't read the whole series, but then if I want to make a comment on a particular plot point I find that either I can't give my full feelings on it because the narrative implications are spread across future books or I simply can't remember which book the event happened in That means I have to invisio my post or use the bookworms thread- so I can't imagine that (b) will make this thread conducive to discussion. Still, I think (b) is the way forward- on the grounds of fairness (we can always use the bookworms thread if need be). We just have to be careful about spoilers again....

EDIT: I think ''book 3'' should be limited to the first book of SoS- especially since the TV series is splitting SoS into two seasons anyway.

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 12/5/2012 5:29:03 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 5:35:40 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I think Option B is the best course of action, we already have the Book Thread for discussion of themes from the whole of the books.

a couple of things that stand out

- Are spoilers from all books allowed if they are headlined and Invisiotexted

-What constitutes a book - as noted above the later hardbacks are split into 2 paperbacks. I would suggest using the Hardback books because that is the way that the ASOIAF Wiki is split up.

-At what point do we move on to the next book - at the end of one series or the beginning of the next one; I would favour the former.

All that being said if we go down the Option B with future spoilers invisiotexted - have a policy that unless you are positive which book it happens in - check http://awoiaf.westeros.org/ to be sure

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 5:42:43 PM   
elab49

We're perfectly happy for the current regular posters to decide the way forward - we can make clear what we mean by 'book' top post and include a stern reminder of the spoiler policy based on what the decision is. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 29
RE: RE:Book Speed Game of Thrones - for those who have ... - 12/5/2012 6:04:54 PM   
Chief Wiggum

sorry, didn't mean to come across as "this is my board, these are my rules" - all of those were supplemental questions.

I just feel that it's better to get these things sorted out first rather than have to drag mods (who may or may not have been avoiding this thread for spoilers) in to sort out the mess when somebody gets butt-hurt about an inadvertent spoiler

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Game of Thrones - for those who have read ALL the books Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI