Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Burton and Depp together again.....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Burton and Depp together again..... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Burton and Depp together again..... - 19/5/2012 8:13:59 AM   
n13roy

I quite enjoyed this Film, it certainly wasn't at funny as the trailers promised, but overall its a typical Tim Burton romp, with his usual dark and zany way of film making. I thought Johnny Depp was excellent from start to finish, and the supporting cast put in good performaces, plus the usual Danny Elfman soundtrack too. Worthy of a four star rating IMHO.....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Burton and Depp together again..... - 19/5/2012 10:25:39 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Just seen this and really enjoyed it... agreed that it's tonally not sure what it wants to be, but that's good because it is its own beast, and the cast are cracking and it's great fun... loved that Alice Cooper got a credit for what is essentially a fun cameo

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to n13roy)
Post #: 32
RE: RE:Dark Shadows - 20/5/2012 4:05:09 PM   
Whistler

It felt to me that Burton couldn't quite decide what kind of film he wanted to make. A Sweeney Todd? A Beetlejuice? A Sleepy Hollow? An Alice In Wonderland? In the end he decided to make all of them, and the result was a mash up of Burton-esque characters, settings and scenes that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. The plot was scattered all over the place, and there were many scenes that just felt out of sync with everything else that was happening, like the Alice Cooper bit. While an amusing cameo, it just felt completely out of place and passive in regards to what was happening at that point in the story (if that makes sense?). But you know what...? I quite liked it. Despite everything I just mentioned, there was a certain charm to it. I thought Depp was excellent, and his delivery of some lines was just brilliant. The fish-out-of-water theme surprisingly worked well for the whole film, and, despite a few of the good jokes being ruined by the overplayed trailer, there were several funny moments.

All in all, it's better than the trailer suggests, but not as good as my pre-trailer anticipation.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 33
Pretty awful really - 21/5/2012 11:11:21 PM   
tysmuse

Arguably, Tim Burton has only made one good film since 1999 (Sweeny Todd, Sleepy Hollow). And Depp is seriously overrated. The movie's tone is all over the place. Carter BJ'ing Depp in 12A!?

Post #: 34
Over long and all over the place - 22/5/2012 8:45:51 PM   
bretty

Okay, three stars (just). It felt very long and lacked a real core or identity, doesn't help that I find Eva Green very unattractive and like the rest of the UK didn't see the original. Too much going on and not in the same direction.
Oh and were there many "in jokes" that we missed being British? What were they?

Post #: 35
- 23/5/2012 11:07:33 PM   
Kiki88

I really enjoyed this movie! I watched the trailer and really wanted to see this film because the trailer is really good and cracked me up on parts of it! The film is really funny in places. Its authentic with its music, proper 70's music! In my view this is Tim Burton at his best. Also the acting is generally good from all, Johnny Depp plays Barnabus Collins really well and Michelle Pfeiffer and Eva Green I think act really quite well. Some people may not enjoy this film but I think even if its not the kind of film you would normally watch, try it! Also the twists at the end are well worth the viewing!

Post #: 36
Dark Shadows - 29/5/2012 4:34:12 AM   
norgizfox

Dark Shadows has ambition, and it benefits from slick visuals and a fine cast, but in the end, the film falters due to a script that was better left for the television series.

Post #: 37
RE: Dark Shadows - 23/8/2012 11:03:54 AM   
Rgirvan44

I mentioned this before, but boy, Dark Shadows REALLY hates woman. Collins abuses and then kills woman, and we are suppose to cheer. Look at Carter - she tries to become a vampire, and Collins kills her for trying. Yet at the end he brings the love of his life back, DESPITE her making an explict wish not to return.

It is so morally weird - the uncle who cheats gets a choice of leaving or staying and raising his family. No death threats there, no sireee.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to norgizfox)
Post #: 38
RE: Dark Shadows - 5/9/2012 5:11:37 AM   
Phubbs

Dark Shadows

To be honest I have never seen the original TV series or even heard of it before this film went ahead. Comparisons to the old TV show are therefore impossible to make but the whole idea does sound rather bizarre. For me this has been a bit of a hit n miss, its hard to nail down exactly why but it just didn't flow right.

As usual the films visuals are the big draw and make the film completely. Burton doesn't disappoint his fans by bringing the perfect look to the vampire story in all its moonlit glory. He does actually stray ever so slightly from his usual themes, not that the gothic vampiric visuals are anything you wouldn't expect but you don't see any of the common Burton touches like his trademark black n white spirals or characters/creatures that look like they have come from the world of Oyster Boy.

So looks and design are a big yes naturally but what about the rest?. Well its 50/50 for me, the period set vamp story is really cool but the 70's period story I didn't like. Its an odd blend of genres and I don't think they gel well a tall. I really did get the impression that Burton should of just made his own period set vampire flick and left this adaptation alone...or at least not set it in the 70's.

There is some adequate humour throughout the film, the culture shock for Depp's character is obviously the main funny stuff. Depp again pretty much does his now usual blockbuster type thing/character which grows tiresome. His quirky semi amusing characters were fun years ago but now after a good few run outs its no longer original. The rest of the cast are OK but nothing to shout about, I like how they all have typical Burton makeup designs. Bella Heathcote being made up to look like a live action version of a character from 'Corpse Bride' or various other Burton creations with her snow white face and big round white eyes surrounded by shadow.

Very much a 'Death Becomes Her' type flick with some fun ghoulish witch moments and lavish visuals for the mansion and vampire side of things. The rest of the plot set in the 70's just felt out of place and obviously dated but not in a good way, I don't wanna be watching films set in the 70's. A film of two halves, two halves that are a curious mix that for me didn't sit right. Add to that a tame loose plot, moments of soft horror and comedy in an uneasy balance and Depp...again!.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 39
ALL DRESSED UP AND NO WHERE TO GO..... - 11/3/2013 12:30:41 PM   
ROTGUT

Not difficult to see why this thing bombed....gorgeous to look at ....but it feels too familiar and un-inspired and there aren't enough real laughs to call it a flat out comedy......
A great cast alright - Eva Green is the best thing in it.....but the plot is almost non existent - even by Tim Burton's usual underwritten standards....
TWO STARS

Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Burton and Depp together again..... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI