Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dark Shadows

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Dark Shadows Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dark Shadows - 9/5/2012 2:58:42 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Tip Top Tim? - 9/5/2012 2:58:44 PM  1 votes
jmebaby25

Hmmm... how many of these do we have to go through before we realise that an average film is Tim Burton at the top of his game.

How far back do we have to go before we stumble upon a genuinely excellent Tim Burton film? Batman Returns? (1992 and 10 movies ago).

I enjoyed Mars Attacks, but his CV is littered with stinkers like Planet of the Apes, Sleepy Hollow and Alice in Wonderland.

< Message edited by jmebaby25 -- 9/5/2012 2:59:54 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Tip Top Tim? - 9/5/2012 3:24:57 PM   
drews

Ed Wood is a masterpiece.

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 3
Usual Burton rubbish! - 9/5/2012 6:07:12 PM  1 votes
J_BUltimatum

Tim Burton hasn't made a decent film since the late 90s and since Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one) Depp has been awful! When will Burton stop relying on the same cast and try his hand at something different. As for this film it's just plain awful and even the added pleasures of an IMAX release cannot save it. This should be a release that remains in the shadows!

Post #: 4
What annoys me the most - 9/5/2012 10:25:01 PM   
GFoley83

about Burton is that 95% of his movies look the exact same. Even the ones that aren't live action. Sweet Jesus man, fire your creative team and branch out a little.

Post #: 5
- 9/5/2012 11:40:27 PM   
NathDyl

A step up from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Didn't Empire give that poor movie 4 stars?

This looks awful, previous post is true-Burton hasn't made a good or interesting film in years & what has Depp decided to do to his career? The guy who made Donnie Brasco, Ed Wood & Don Juan is long gone.

Post #: 6
I asked the question before and I'll ask it again - 9/5/2012 11:58:53 PM   
BatSpider

Johnny Depp: actor or plank?

Post #: 7
Tim Burton = Genius - 10/5/2012 8:22:29 AM  1 votes
Moronifighter

What is with all the Tim Burtom hate? I disagree strongly with the statement that Burton hasn't made a good film since the Ninteties..Big Fish - 4 stars an brilliant, Corpse Bride - 4 stars funny and touching, Sweeney Todd- 4 stars Deliciously Gory and Dark...Yes hes had a few not so brililant films in there as well but the good most certainly outweigh the bad, I a most certainly looking forward to seeing this and Frankenweenie!

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 8
RE: Tip Top Tim? - 10/5/2012 8:50:01 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

Hmmm... how many of these do we have to go through before we realise that an average film is Tim Burton at the top of his game.

How far back do we have to go before we stumble upon a genuinely excellent Tim Burton film? Batman Returns? (1992 and 10 movies ago).

I enjoyed Mars Attacks, but his CV is littered with stinkers like Planet of the Apes, Sleepy Hollow and Alice in Wonderland.

Your right about Alice in Wonderland and Planet of the Apes but Sleepy Hollow was great.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 9
RE: Dark Shadows - 10/5/2012 9:53:45 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

Your right about Alice in Wonderland and Planet of the Apes but Sleepy Hollow was great.

I agree, Sleepy Hollow is pretty darn good. I quite like R-rated Burton, he should do more of them.

EDIT: Just noticed the thread name had been changed, hate it when that happens. Seems to happen a lot in Film Reviews for some reason

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 10/5/2012 9:58:27 AM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 10
RE: Dark Shadows - 10/5/2012 10:05:08 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

I agree, Sleepy Hollow is pretty darn good. I quite like R-rated Burton, he should do more of them.

EDIT: Just noticed the thread name had been changed, hate it when that happens. Seems to happen a lot in Film Reviews for some reason

Love sleepy Hollow. I quite like Big Fish and Corpse Bride too but yeah, Alice and Charlie are poor.

I'd usually always go and see Tim Burton's films in the cinema but I'm not really too pushed about seeing this to be honest.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 11
RE: Dark Shadows - 10/5/2012 12:14:40 PM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

quote:

quote:

Love sleepy Hollow. I quite like Big Fish and Corpse Bride too but yeah, Alice and Charlie are poor.

I'd usually always go and see Tim Burton's films in the cinema but I'm not really too pushed about seeing this to be honest.

I didn't like Sleepy Hollow - I thought that the dialogue and performances were really lacking.

With regards to his other films, such as Big Fish and Corpse Bride... I'm not saying that all of Burton's films since Batman Returns are trash... I'm saying that they've been a mixed bag. Average, Good and awful - but my key point was that they've not been exceptional. All of which seems to be at odds with his reputation.

< Message edited by jmebaby25 -- 10/5/2012 3:51:26 PM >

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 12
- 10/5/2012 7:57:41 PM  1 votes
sweetladybrick

Burton is unique in cinema; there's nothing wrong with having a visual style that dominates your work- never undermine the value of identity. He's a storyteller in the vein of Brothers Grimm... Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Batman (and it's spectacularly over the top sequel), Big Fish, , Sweeny Todd, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride... all wonderful fantastical films. Alice was a let down (an adaptation of the book would'be been superior to the sequel with a CGI monster showdown...) but so what? So what if he makes adaptations of other works? So does almost every other filmmaker in Hollywood? Doesn't make it crap. His sci-fi work has been terrible, but this looks like perfect material for him. Not really sure why so many people here hate him, or why they would have read this review and commented on it. Seems a waste of time. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but why on Earth would you click on a link to a Burton article?!

Post #: 13
RE: - 11/5/2012 12:33:46 PM   
albumental

quote:

ORIGINAL: sweetladybrick

Not really sure why so many people here hate him, or why they would have read this review and commented on it. Seems a waste of time. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but why on Earth would you click on a link to a Burton article?!

It's born of disappointment. I used to love Burton's films. The release of a new one was a very real event for me. Beetlejuice & Edward Scissorhands are such classics even my kids who are 11 watch them religiously now. I'm one of the few people who prefers his vision of Batman to Nolan's. Ed Wood is a total classic and I can even enjoy Mars Attacks for the full on, camp lunacy of it all.

However the rot set in with Sleepy Hollow where he started imposing his own, increasingly inferior storytelling on much loved tales (the Disney Short of Sleepy Hollow was truly terrifying to me as a child and crucially efficient in its narrative. Starkly in contrast to Burton's own bloated, unwieldy re-fit)

Sweeny Todd was passable. Everything else has just been inept and self indulgent. But still I hope for a new spark of genius from the old Burton. Unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen.

"I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip."

(in reply to sweetladybrick)
Post #: 14
- 11/5/2012 11:43:31 PM   
odddaze

This is both the worst film I've seen all year and Burton's worst effort so far. I shouted at the screen at the end of the film due to my sheer annoyance with it. Burton and Depp have produced fine works before but this is garbage, a poor imitation of what was once promising talent. No plot, no characters and no fun, can't think of a worse way to spend ones time. Abhorrently terrible.

Post #: 15
RE: Tip Top Tim? - 12/5/2012 8:52:21 AM   
skeletonjack

Dark Shadows is not the film the trailers would like you to believe. Yes it has comic moments, but these sit alongside gothic horror and melodrama, a mix that will certainly not be to everyones taste. This probably explains why it took so long for a trailer to appear, as tonally its a complete mess and virtually impossible to categorize.
I loved the combination, especially the horror element which makes you yearn for a straight horror from Tim.
It seems its become fashionable to criticise Tim Burton movies of late simply because they're not up to the incredibly high standards of his earlier works; his Edwards, Batmans and Sleepy Hollow still stand out for me. However Sweeney Todd is also a brilliant film (people who bitch about the singing need to give their heads a shake) and Mars Attacks, Big Fish, Bettlejuice, and Corpse Bride are also very entertaining films. The rest, even the much maligned Alice and Charlie are perfectly watchable if nothing else. Some people ridiculously complain that his films look the same, well yes, that's why they're Tim Burton films.
Whilst Dark Shadows might not hit the heights of his best work, it is a whole lot of fun and considerably more interesting than the majority of films out there.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 16
At the top of their game - 12/5/2012 7:42:10 PM   
phumber

Two parts Addams Family, one part Beetlejuice, add a dash of Death Becomes her... and it has the strengths and weaknesses of all three of them: the pacing is patchy: relaxed for long periods and then the final revelations are hurried, it could do with a few more gags, and its all a bit derivative. But, but, but... Eva Green is a revelation - playing the baddie in the style of the evil twin of Anne Hathaway's White Queen - she has never been better. Johnny Depp is pitch perfect and funny - it is becoming embarrassing that he is annually over-looked at the Oscars (was there even a moment that we would have changed of his Willie Wonka?) The trio of Michelle Pfeiffer, Bella Heathcote and Helena B-Carter are flawless. Is it necessary to say that Tim Burton's design is perfect? Of course not, because it's a given. And that perhaps is the problem: we are taking them all for granted. Do we sit watching Mad Men each week saying we wish they could perhaps stick a car chase in to the mix because it is all getting a bit same-ish? We are witnessing a team at the top of their games. Chill out and enjoy.

Post #: 17
Dark Shadows - 12/5/2012 10:59:43 PM   
hpmoviefan777

Another unique film from Burton. It was funny, but still not over the top. The costumes and set design was (as always) wondeful. I don't know why people continue to be suprised with Tim's work, he (in my opinion) has not made a bad film yet. Dark Shadows is another great film from a great director.

Post #: 18
RE: Dark Shadows - 13/5/2012 5:35:40 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

Just to weigh in on the argument I agree with this. Burton's only decent film in the last 15 or so years have been his more extreme films like Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd. Most of the rest have been utter shite.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 19
RE: Dark Shadows - 13/5/2012 5:36:14 AM   
Spaldron

Double post, fucking 505 Empire glitch.

FIX IT GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 13/5/2012 5:40:00 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 20
RE: Dark Shadows - 13/5/2012 1:45:39 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Just to weigh in on the argument I agree with this. Burton's only decent film in the last 15 or so years have been his more extreme films like Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd. Most of the rest have been utter shite.

Except Big Fish, which is one of the gentlest films he's done and is also one of his best.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 21
RE: Dark Shadows - 13/5/2012 5:55:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

This movie really does not like women.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 23/8/2012 11:00:54 AM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 22
RE: Dark Shadows - 13/5/2012 8:51:38 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Despite my misgivings about Depp, he is on top form in Dark Shadows. Yes, it's a form that we've seen many times before, but it's there nonetheless. What I found more interesting is the feel of the film. It has the dark intent of Interview With The Vampire, mixed with the camp and humour of Rocky Horror, then the location of the New England fishing port sprinkles a hint of H.P. Lovecraft over the top. Demographically, it may not be ticking all the right boxes, but I found it spellbinding.

I thought it was enormously likeable, but there are flaws (imho) in Dark Shadows that can't be ignored…

< Message edited by TheMightyBlackout -- 3/6/2012 1:31:54 AM >

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 23
Staying in the shadows - 14/5/2012 10:07:25 AM   
Li4mC

The 3/5 rating is because at times i found this film cheesy and even though the film had some good idea's it seemed to struggle to string them together.

Nonetheless the acting was very good and there were a few laughs here and there.

Post #: 24
WTF? - 14/5/2012 10:35:47 AM   
ChicksHands

I find Burton's films generally boring and this one, you've only ever given him one five star review and that was over twenty years ago. Is he really that amazing?

Post #: 25
johnny depp - 14/5/2012 4:06:53 PM   
king of the empire

havent seen this movie yet so i really cant judge but from what i seen in the trailer i was under the impession this movie wud be kind gd and really funny

Post #: 26
RE: johnny depp - 15/5/2012 9:29:50 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I think Empire has their review pretty much right. I walked out and thought exactly the same. From the trailer I expected more laughs. But we only got the odd laugh 'only' when Depp was on screen. The Storyline was paper thin and the rest of the cast was used sparingly. The film has all these story threads about the Colins family members but just seems to forget about them after 20-30 mins. In fact the more I type the more I get annoyed about Burton's laziness in story telling. I'm gonna stop now before I go drain someone's blood!!!!
Initially 3/5 but now 2.5/5

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to king of the empire)
Post #: 27
RE:Dark Shadows - 16/5/2012 10:50:17 AM   
Popcorn Required

I sat and watched this last night and was very disappointed. I was hoping that it would be of a similar ilk to Beetlejuice, but it wasn't even close. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, comedy or drama, and sits uneasily between the two with the more serious parts really slowing the pacing. I think it should have been an out and out comedy to match The Addams Family with jokes every couple of minutes instead of lame gags maybe every quarter of an hour.

The story let itself down when it had the perfect opportunity to be excellent. Why did they not come up with better stories for the missing spouses of the Collins clan that took in the curse on the family and created resentment towards Barnabus (that would've been interesting) and what the hell were they thinking shoehorning what could have been a great sub plot running through the film into the climax leaving me feeling like the shark had been well and truly jumped even in a film so intentionally weird.

Largely the cast was woefully under used. Jonny Lee Miller's Roger was an asshole without any logical reason, Michelle Pfieffer had no comic or dramatic moments to shine (with the exception of wielding a shotgun), Helena Bonham Carter could have had a bit more added to her sub plot which could also have been more interesting and Christopher Lee's cameo could have been a brilliant in joke, but was just a 'meh' scene that didn't have any real follow up (The dude is probably the greatest vampire actor of all time, surely there was more of a joke there). In fact I would've preferred less Depp so the others had more time to shine in a true ensemble show.

Only Eva Green can walk away from this with any dignity. She obviously really enjoyed playing her part because it shone through in her performance and out of the 2 stars a whole one belongs to her. The other is half for kudos for still using miniatures for set-pieces and half for Jackie Earl Haley for actually getting the Addam's vibe of how it should've been.

In summary

Really lazy from Burton, go watch The Addams Family and Addams Family Values instead

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 28
RE: RE:Dark Shadows - 16/5/2012 4:02:15 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Popcorn Required

I sat and watched this last night and was very disappointed. I was hoping that it would be of a similar ilk to Beetlejuice, but it wasn't even close. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, comedy or drama, and sits uneasily between the two with the more serious parts really slowing the pacing. I think it should have been an out and out comedy to match The Addams Family with jokes every couple of minutes instead of lame gags maybe every quarter of an hour.

The story let itself down when it had the perfect opportunity to be excellent. Why did they not come up with better stories for the missing spouses of the Collins clan that took in the curse on the family and created resentment towards Barnabus (that would've been interesting) and what the hell were they thinking shoehorning what could have been a great sub plot running through the film into the climax leaving me feeling like the shark had been well and truly jumped even in a film so intentionally weird.

Largely the cast was woefully under used. Jonny Lee Miller's Roger was an asshole without any logical reason, Michelle Pfieffer had no comic or dramatic moments to shine (with the exception of wielding a shotgun), Helena Bonham Carter could have had a bit more added to her sub plot which could also have been more interesting and Christopher Lee's cameo could have been a brilliant in joke, but was just a 'meh' scene that didn't have any real follow up (The dude is probably the greatest vampire actor of all time, surely there was more of a joke there). In fact I would've preferred less Depp so the others had more time to shine in a true ensemble show.

Only Eva Green can walk away from this with any dignity. She obviously really enjoyed playing her part because it shone through in her performance and out of the 2 stars a whole one belongs to her. The other is half for kudos for still using miniatures for set-pieces and half for Jackie Earl Haley for actually getting the Addam's vibe of how it should've been.

In summary

Really lazy from Burton, go watch The Addams Family and Addams Family Values instead

Totally agree with you that Burton missed on alot of good opportunites for laughs. There's a bit where Depp's Barnabus wakes up, stands up in his coffin and stretches his arms out. On one side of him is a stream of light bursting through the window. Why didn't Burton think of setting Depp's outstretched hand on fire? That would surely have got a laugh!

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Popcorn Required)
Post #: 29
RE: RE:Dark Shadows - 16/5/2012 10:06:58 PM   
Dr Lenera

In 1760, Joshua and Naomi Collins sail from Liverpool to Maine, where they set up a fishing port called Collinsport, and also build Collinwood Manor. Their son, Barnabas, grows up to be a wealthy playboy in the town. After he breaks the heart of one of their servants Angelique Bouchard, who actually turns out to be a witch, the family becomes cursed. His parents die and when he falls in love with Josette du Pres in the meantime, jealous Angelique makes her leap to her death from a nearby cliff and turns Barnabas into a vampire, after which the townspeople capture and bury him alive. In 1972, Maggie Evans travels by train to Collinsport, responding to an advertisement to be the governess to a young boy, David Collins. Arriving at Collinwood Manor, she meets the surviving members of the Collins family, who are about to get a big surprise when Barnabas is accidently freed from his coffin by a group of construction workers and turns up at the house…….

Though I am not one of those who thinks Tim Burton has ‘lost it’ somewhat the last few years; for me Sweeney Todd and Corpse Bride showed the director at the top of his game and Charlie And The Chocolate Factory was tremendous fun, but I’m going to admit that I wasn’t overly excited at Dark Shadows. Maybe it’s because Burton’s take on Alice In Wonderland, something which seemed virtually made for him to adapt, was just such a misfire. Maybe it’s because films based on old TV shows, especially of the cult variety, rarely come off successfully. Maybe…….well, I don’t entirely know to be honest. If you actually think about it, a movie based on an American ‘Gothic’ soap opera from the late 60’s/early 70’s, which became very popular after a year when a certain vampire called Barnabas Collins entered the show, sounds like it’s perfect for Burton’s blend of camp, kitsch and the Gothic. Interestingly, this was a project actually initiated by Johnny Depp, who was obsessed with the character of Barnabas as a child and wanted to be him.

I have not seen any of the TV series, nor the two films it spawned in the 70s, so I cannot tell you if Burton’s Dark Shadows is close to its inspiration. What I can tell you, though, is that, after Alice, this is another major disappointment from Burton, who really seems to be coasting on autopilot. Of course it’s not entirely like that, and actually watching the first ten minutes caused me to wonder if the film’s mediocre reception was another instance in which I disagreed with both the critics and the general public. As Barnabas narrates, the exposition is told with great style. Bruno Delbonnel’s cinematography gives us some great Gothic imagery such as people passing through a wonderfully fog covered forest, Danny Elfman’s music pounds away in that great melodramatic manner he likes to write in, and the direction has an energy and vivid manner that certainly made me think that, far from being one of Burton’s weakest efforts, this is the man working at his very best. And then……well. I’d be wrong if I said that what follows is disastrous and totally devoid of inspiration, but it sure is a slip down from the opening!

Dark Shadows apparently ran for three hours in its first cut, and it almost seems like Chris Lebenzon was the person responsible for messing up the movie in cutting in down. Was Burton actually involved here at all? It sure doesn’t seem like it. The plot is full of different little stories, but it seems like most of them were reduced to the bare minimum to emphasise Barnabas, and even he doesn’t get away scot-free, because his supposed falling in love with one character, seemingly an important sub plot, is reduced to about three scenes. All this is to emphasise his century-spanning feud with Angelique, an idea which has been done to death and is, for the most part, none too interesting viewing, except for a sex scene which may make some laugh as the participants go all over the floor, up the walls, and even on the ceiling. Eve Green is deliciously camp and deliciously sexy as the villainous witch, but Depp seems constrained, restricted, in this film, looking like he wants to be let loose but just isn’t being allowed to. He’s certainly not bad, of course, and is clearly having fun in some scenes, but I wonder if his responsibilities as producer took precedence over his performance.

Then again, one can hardly blame him when confronted with a script that just doesn’t know how to portray his character. We sometimes see him killing off victims, and I wish the darker aspect of his character had been explored, but for the most part it’s just comedy and romance, though that is very muted. Not nearly enough mileage is made of his reaction to things in 1972, and undoubtedly amusing bits of dialogue like “what, does she have a penchant for woodworkers”, said by Barnabas when told a woman he is after likes the Carpenters, are few and far between, while Barnabas falling in love lacks the required emotion because he clearly had no bones about ‘putting it about’ and we are never allowed to feel the torment he must feel. Frankly, I cared little about him, and, as far as old vampires let loose in modern times go, I just wished I was watching George Hamilton in Love At First Bite!

So Dark Shadows, for the most part, goes along in this frustrating, half-hearted fashion, skimming over much but slowing down to a halt at times too, until we get to the obligatory climax where the CGI special effects people can do their thing. Statues come to life, blood runs from paintings, characters fight it out displaying supernatural powers etc; all the stuff you would expect, but we’ve seen it all before [though I did like Angelique’s porcelain look when she is injured] and almost seems like it’s from a different film. Being a Tim Burton film, you would expect the picture to look great and have strong set design, which quite often it does. Collinwood Manor is fantastic; it’s like what Dracula’s castle from the old Hammer movies would have looked like if Hammer had had lots of money. Aurally the film is pleasing too, with some great 70s songs used to comment on what we are seeing, and a very typical but appropriate Danny Elfman score which sometimes uses music from the TV series.

Out of the cast only Green and a very wasted Michelle Pfeiffer really seem to go for it, in fact those two and Depp seem like they are acting in a different picture to everyone else. Little about Dark Shadows fits. It certainly does have things in it which please but they are drowned in mediocrity and the whole thing just does not hang together at all. While technically very good, in most other respects it looks like it was put together in a rush and certainly with regard to the scripting and the editing. In the end, this is one film where I do mostly go along with the majority opinion. It just doesn’t work and only really has scattered bits of interest. With both this and Alice, it seems like Burton finally is starting to work on auto-pilot [exactly what some have been saying about the last few films he made previously but which I disagreed with], and that it a great shame from the director of so many films I love including Edward Scissorhands, which I consider one of the greatest films of all time.

Rating: 4.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 16/5/2012 10:09:20 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Dark Shadows Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI