Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

So what films are films and what movies are movies?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> So what films are films and what movies are movies? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 8/5/2012 6:57:25 PM   
Vantage

I remember an age ago that this question came up! According to Stone,tarantino made movies and he(Stone) made films. So is JFK a film? Is Pulp fiction a movie? Is 'The Thing' a movie or is 'Ellen Brokovich a film.

How about Alien and Totall Recall are they films or movies. Or is one a film or a movie?

"Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up!"
Post #: 1
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 8/5/2012 7:19:59 PM   
elab49

There is no difference -  if Stone said he was trying to make some kind of dodgy artistic distinction and using 'film' and 'movie', presumably, as we'd use the term art-house (also a kind of useless term). It's difficult to take it any other way, I think?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 8/5/2012 7:20:34 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Vantage)
Post #: 2
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 9:04:58 AM   
jobloffski

Movies are for people who like the movies, film is for people who like the movies but want to feel clever about it and cinema is for people who like the movies, but are terrified that anyone might ever find out.

Joshing of course, but slightly more broadly, snobs in either the arthouse or mainstream cinema camp do my head in cos good films are good films, bad films are bad films, the whole good/bad thing is entirely subjective and the extent to which a studio markets a film almost absolutely decides whether a film is 'niche' or 'populist' regardless of whether it's a good example of the kind of film it is, lazy shite or pretentious shite (again, all subjective terms).

To steal one of the most famous film related comments: Nobody knows anything.

To expand on that: nobody knows anything about how to guarantee the quality of a film when the process of developing one begins. The number of people involved in that process, the difficulties of getting any funding at all and time constraints often mean intentions about good scripts have to be skipped over, almost every idea for a film comes to nothing and is doomed from the outset and if somehow, against overwhelming odds, you end up with something you can show an audience EVERYBODY has an idea of why it is good, or shit, and expresses surprise that the quality (good or bad) was never obvious from the outset.

Nobody knows anything, until after the film is made. Then everybody claims to know everything, but still, people can't agree about what it is they know.

Which is all a bit rich coming from me, given my numerous 'crimes of supreme assumed knowledge' committed on this site, but it's not like I'm bereft of self awareness (or sense of humour) about such things

Or sum shit like dat.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 9/5/2012 9:26:06 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 12:55:03 PM   
great_badir

People trying to come across as snobby aside, I actually think the etymology of it is a hell of a lot simpler than that - "movies" is just an Americanism and they use the term a lot more than "film". Otherwise the two are the same.

I always say "film" whether I'm talking about a Tarkovsky epic or Deuce Bigelow: European Jigolo, just as many high-end American critics use the term "movie" for Citizen Kane or Cyborg 3.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 9/5/2012 12:56:58 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 4
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 1:04:04 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I usually call them films, except for the big blockbuster types, which I tend to refer to as movies. It's a snobbish distinction, but it works for me.

Ridley Scott makes a similar distinction, although googling "ridley scott films and movies" is a bit of a nightmare...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 5
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 1:12:00 PM   
Shifty Bench

I use both 'film' and 'movie' to mix things up. If I'm talking about a particular flick and I have to use a title for the motion picture other than its name, I'll use both words so it's a bit different. Just like what I did there with 'flick' and 'motion picture'.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 6
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 1:16:40 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Moviefilm. Borat had it right.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 7
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 1:47:20 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I actually think the etymology of it is a hell of a lot simpler than that - "movies" is just an Americanism and they use the term a lot more than "film". Otherwise the two are the same.

See, that's what I thought.
I always say "film", I can't stand the word movie and I bollock my kids everytime they say it (which I put down to watching too many Americna TV shows, I mean programmes )

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 8
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 1:51:37 PM   
great_badir

Hang on jonson - don't you refer to them as "the talkies"?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 9
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 1:53:59 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 10
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 2:07:45 PM   
jonson

quote:

Hang on jonson - don't you refer to them as "the talkies"?

I stopped doing that months ago, just about the time I stopped saying "Picture House" instead of "Cinema"

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 11
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 2:48:56 PM   
Spaldron

The pictures.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 12
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 9/5/2012 11:37:06 PM   
Hood_Man

I call them all films, but if someone else says movie I immediately think of big Hollywood blockbusters.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 2:13:30 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Every film in my view, is a film. NOT a movie - that to me is an Americanism. It's nothing to do with snobbery.

For me, it's the exact same calling chips 'fries', football 'soccer' & conservatism 'liberalism.'

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 14
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 9:07:12 AM   
Wyvenetta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Every film in my view, is a film. NOT a movie - that to me is an Americanism. It's nothing to do with snobbery.

For me, it's the exact same calling chips 'fries', football 'soccer' & conservatism 'liberalism.'

This. I'm always chiding people for using Americanisms. I used to work with an African guy who learned American but thought it was English. He was shocked when I said a lot of words and spellings are different. We should be proud of our language, not throw it away in favour of American. There, rant over!

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 15
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 10:39:16 AM   
st3veebee

Well French people invented film, and the French word for film is film. So therefore we can all agree that the correct term is movie.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Wyvenetta)
Post #: 16
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 11:07:07 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee
Well French people invented film, and the French word for film is film. So therefore we can all agree that the correct term is movie.

Not to throw a spanner in the works here, but the French would probably (and still would) have cited "Cinema" over either "movies" or "film". "Cinema" was certainly used first over there (as per the word "Cinematograph"). Also, while the Lumiere brothers may have been the first to project film in a public environment, filmmaking certainly existed prior to that, and for some years, it just wasn't exhibited in a communal manner until 1985. The actual "invention" of film is far more complex and long-winded than most people give it credit for.

I reckon that from a spectator point of view "Movies" trumps "Film", given that the term "Movies" is a derivative of "Moving Pictures", which was pretty much the given name to cinema in the English-speaking world for much of the early years. I would imagine that "Film" didn't come in until some years later, given its predominant association with other mediums (most notably photography) at the time.

I use film as my default, but will happily fall back on movies, picture, work, cinema or flick if the situation calls for it.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 10/5/2012 11:08:57 AM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 17
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 11:19:23 AM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

There is no difference -  if Stone said he was trying to make some kind of dodgy artistic distinction and using 'film' and 'movie', presumably, as we'd use the term art-house (also a kind of useless term). It's difficult to take it any other way, I think?

I agree with this...

At the end of the day it's just two words to describe the same thing, a bit like Car and Automobile.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 12:07:15 PM   
Whistler

Films and movies are just two words for the same thing. Don't be a douche like Billy Walsh in Entourage: "I make films, not movies!".

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 19
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 1:37:30 PM   
Deviation

I use film because in Maltese that's how they tend to be called as well.

And I hate the word movie with a passion, it's sounds like a sound a mentally damaged sperm whale would do.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 10/5/2012 1:38:03 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 20
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 1:43:40 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

I actually think the etymology of it is a hell of a lot simpler than that - "movies" is just an Americanism and they use the term a lot more than "film". Otherwise the two are the same.

See, that's what I thought.
I always say "film", I can't stand the word movie and I bollock my kids everytime they say it (which I put down to watching too many American TV shows, I mean programmes )

Ditto people saying 'ass'.
Up my way, those of a certain age always say 'picture' instead of 'film' or 'movie'.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 21
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 3:11:09 PM   
Spaldron

But the thing is films aren't really made of film these days so its a little redundant (even though film is my preferred term). Its like calling an album a record even though chances are you're playing it on a cd or an iPod.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 22
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 3:28:30 PM   
the_equalizer

Potato, potAto...

I'm off home to watch a video.

"I don't care what you smell, get in there you big furry oaf"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 23
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 7:48:58 PM   
boaby

I go to the cinema to see films.

Or, if I've had a few, the picters to see fillims.

Movies can phuck off.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to the_equalizer)
Post #: 24
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 7:59:58 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

But the thing is films aren't really made of film these days so its a little redundant (even though film is my preferred term). Its like calling an album a record even though chances are you're playing it on a cd or an iPod.

Isn't "Record" in this context just a derivative of "Recording" though, with the term commonly used thanks to its colloquial associations more than anything? The only thing thats changed is the actual matter (vinyl) upon which the recording is being contained, so I don't think there is actually a problem with referring to any stored piece of music as a "record". If anything its only as reliant in slang and colloquial as it was back when it was first associated with vinyl.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 25
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 9:03:52 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Isn't "Record" in this context just a derivative of "Recording" though, with the term commonly used thanks to its colloquial associations more than anything? The only thing thats changed is the actual matter (vinyl) upon which the recording is being contained, so I don't think there is actually a problem with referring to any stored piece of music as a "record". If anything its only as reliant in slang and colloquial as it was back when it was first associated with vinyl.

Also, the word 'record' (and indeed the object) just sounds better.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 26
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 9:06:56 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_equalizer

Potato, potAto...

I'm off home to watch a video.

Oh you bugger, overcomplicating things

This thread reminds me of an argument my mates had years ago, really going for it too.

Them: "Hood, what do you call it, a sofa or a settee?"

Me: "You mean a couch?"

Fucking mayhem!

(in reply to the_equalizer)
Post #: 27
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 10:07:15 PM   
Biggus

Let's call the whole thing off.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 28
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 10/5/2012 10:20:16 PM   
UTB

Movie = Popcorn, explosions, daft plot, wrestlers for actors
Film = Serious subject, A-listers 'going straight', Oscar-bait
Cinema = Beard-stroking, foreign language, Cannes Winner

FACT*.

*not fact

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 29
RE: So what films are films and what movies are movies? - 11/5/2012 12:55:36 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

I go to the cinema to see films.

Or, if I've had a few, the picters to see fillims.

Movies can phuck off.

A lot of people round here call them filums.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> So what films are films and what movies are movies? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI