Booze and the cinema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Booze and the cinema Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Booze and the cinema - 5/5/2012 9:19:29 PM   
Bluedevils

I recently had my visit to the cinema to see American Reunion ruined by Vue's policy to sell beer to idiots in the cinema.

Anyone else been subjected to this or have an opinion on this policy?
Post #: 1
RE: Booze and the cinema - 5/5/2012 9:40:48 PM   
kumar

I had no idea vue sold alcohol to customers. I would have thought if they did they would have only been able to sell them in over 18 screenings (which from what i hear now also cost more than the "standard" showings).... sounds already like a terrible idea.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Bluedevils)
Post #: 2
RE: Booze and the cinema - 6/5/2012 1:40:20 AM   
Spaldron

Most multiplexes have bars but are you actually talking about taking beer into the screen itself? If so I think its a bad idea for multiplexes to sell booze in screenings considering most of their clientèle consist of your inconsiderate Joe Public and casual cinema goers with no regard to the etiquette. On the other hand I'm ok with independent cinemas allowing booze into screenings like the Cameo in Edinburgh as their crowd tends to be a bit more mature and cine-literate.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 3
RE: Booze and the cinema - 6/5/2012 9:40:06 AM   
Bluedevils

No this was obviously brought in the foyer. It was bottled beer in plastic bottles taken into the screen - there was so much of it there was no way it was sneaked in and they made no attempts to conceal drinking them. The lad next to me was downing one after the other, he must have got through 8 by the endnof the movie... which he missed to stagger to the toilet to throw up!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 4
RE: Booze and the cinema - 6/5/2012 10:00:31 AM   
Mojo

I work in a recently opened Cineworld and we sell alcohol at the concessions stand. Hasn't really caused any trouble to be honest. I think the official licensing policy is that alcohol can be sold from 11am to customers attending 15 rated films or above, and then at 5pm adults can buy alcohol if attending a kids film as well.

Although we don't allow a customer to buy that many, Bluedevils, we use our judgement and and usually no more than 3 bottles/cans/glasses.

< Message edited by Mojo -- 6/5/2012 10:02:15 AM >

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Bluedevils)
Post #: 5
RE: Booze and the cinema - 9/5/2012 5:09:56 PM   
st3veebee

Overall I'd agree that alochol should be left out of cinemas (ingested or otherwise): you just head to the pub afterwards! Thats nearly the most fun part; discussing the film over a pint.

That said:  I have had some great cinema trips to films with mates where I was a little tired and emotional. I'm sure I was an utter pillock...

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6
RE: Booze and the cinema - 9/5/2012 7:06:15 PM   
maffew

we sold booze at the odeon i worked at.. you could take it in to the screen, and people took this to mean you could bring booze fro outside too.. we cleaned up litre bottles of vodka from screen and 12 packs of beer spilt everywhere... made the screens stink like bars..

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Bluedevils)
Post #: 7
RE: Booze and the cinema - 9/5/2012 8:20:08 PM   
Sutty

bad idea i think. If only for the reasons already mentioned. Personally, I would feel kinda stoopid sat in a big dark room with 400 other people getting sloshed. Unless it was a club and not a cinema and I was on a stag doo!!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 8
RE: Booze and the cinema - 9/5/2012 8:27:55 PM   
Hood_Man

Thinking about it some more, having a room full of piss heads might be appropriate for certain films. I guess if they allowed alcohol in an 18+ only screening at like 9 or 10 o'clock at night (or later even), I'd probably go along. The upcoming Expendables 2 for instance could be a lot of fun with it.

I'd feel sorry for the people working there though I guess.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 9
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 10:45:07 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

. The upcoming Expendables 2 for instance could be a lot of fun with it.

Hell. Yes.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 10
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 10:48:16 AM   
Discodez

I've always taken a shot or two to add to my extra large coke... Certainly makes a bad film a lot easier to sit through

(in reply to Bluedevils)
Post #: 11
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 2:40:36 PM   
the_equalizer

I rarely take booze into the cinema unless I'm seeing something at the Clapham Picturehouse or the big Waterloo IMAX. But, I don't really see what the issue is. You queue for popcorn and a massive coke, then sit in your seat clenching your butt-cheeks for 2 hours whilst watching a film. Most people rarely, if ever, go out and get a top-up while the film is on. It's the same for beer. you get a beer or two to last the film, but you wouldn't get up half way through to get a top-up.

And if people are going to be drunk in the cinema, I would hardly blame it on what they sell over the counter. I doubt many people would spend 2 hours queuing in a multiplex for overly expensive beer when they can get more tanked up in the pub before and after. Buying in the cinema has little or no effect on people's inebriated state whilst in that establishment.

I'm a lot more offended by people eating nachos in cinemas than drinking beer.

"I don't care what you smell, get in there you big furry oaf"

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 12
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 3:13:00 PM   
Spaldron

I got inebriated watching an Anime double bill at the Cameo cinema years ago. Ended up falling asleep during Ghost in the Shell.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to the_equalizer)
Post #: 13
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 3:26:48 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I don't think I have ever taken booze into the cinema. I mainly go to to lunchtime showings so wouldn't even cross my mind. Even when I went to an evening showing at the super posh Scene screen with a mate I took a posh cup of tea in china cup and saucer rather than beer or wine! Rock and roll I'd be stressed that I'd need to go to the ladies after drinking booze and that is a no no for me once the film has started!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 14
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 4:13:15 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

I don't think I have ever taken booze into the cinema. I mainly go to to lunchtime showings so wouldn't even cross my mind. Even when I went to an evening showing at the super posh Scene screen with a mate I took a posh cup of tea in china cup and saucer rather than beer or wine! Rock and roll I'd be stressed that I'd need to go to the ladies after drinking booze and that is a no no for me once the film has started!

Yeah I think the fact that I'd be in the toilet more than the actual cinema would be the most off putting thing. Slushies are bad enough.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 15
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 9:23:41 PM   
Super Hans

I don't really see the problem if it's at dedicated adults-only showings. I would probably want it to have a higher restriction than over 18s though - maybe 25+.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Bluedevils)
Post #: 16
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 9:53:44 PM   
UTB

One of the best cinema experiences ever... sat in a pub with my best mate and then girlfriend, gets to closing time and one of says "hey, lets go to the cinema!", only the only thing on was Saw 2. Oh how we laughed all the way through.

Booze and cinema is not a good idea.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 17
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 11:34:30 PM   
RewindReviews

While I do see everybody's point, some films do require alcohol to make it through, unfortunately

www.rewindreviews.com - my film site, all views and feedback greatly appreciated

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 18
RE: Booze and the cinema - 10/5/2012 11:45:31 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: RewindReviews

While I do see everybody's point, some films do require alcohol to make it through, unfortunately

They're the ones I tend not to pay to see at the cinema!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to RewindReviews)
Post #: 19
RE: Booze and the cinema - 12/5/2012 10:49:09 PM   
white mage

I don't think alcohol is aviliable to buy at any cinema I've been to, you're not even allowed not take in your own food, people generally sneak cans and food in anyway

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 20
RE: Booze and the cinema - 14/5/2012 9:54:42 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

One of the best cinema experiences ever... sat in a pub with my best mate and then girlfriend, gets to closing time and one of says "hey, lets go to the cinema!", only the only thing on was Saw 2. Oh how we laughed all the way through.

But it led to one of your best cinema experiences ever!

Booze 100% makes crap films 100x better. Scientific fact.

Latest Films:

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 21
RE: Booze and the cinema - 15/5/2012 9:22:36 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

But it led to one of your best cinema experiences ever!

Booze 100% makes crap films 100x better. Scientific fact.

Oh yeah it was great for us but probably not for the other patrons.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 22
RE: Booze and the cinema - 16/5/2012 2:10:53 AM   
paul_lfc

I usually sneak in cans, last time a bottle of kopparberg

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 23
RE: Booze and the cinema - 16/5/2012 10:36:55 AM   
jobloffski

Before seeing Heat, because there was no showing for two hours, knocked back a few beers.

While watching Heat: thoughts...this film is slow. It's still slow. WHY IS THIS FILM SO SLOW, GET ON WITH IT. I need a pee.

Seen it since obviously, but it is slow at times,

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to paul_lfc)
Post #: 24
RE: Booze and the cinema - 21/5/2012 11:55:43 AM   
JV

It depends on the cinema really. I have been to plenty of indie cinemas where you could buy a beer to take in with you, but never a multiplex.

While I wouldn't want to watch a film hammered, I don't mind a beer. On one of my birthdays when I lived by myself, I was working a late shift and it so happened that, as a Friday, Bubba Ho-Tep was starting that day and my local indie (the awesome Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, folks) had a late showing around 10:30pm or so. I went to it, bought a beer at their bar in the screen itself, and really enjoyed it.

At the risk of sounding classist and elitist, I think selling it in multiplexes is asking for trouble. Maybe it's on a par with it being okay to drink beer on the stands at a rugby match but not at a football match - in some environment there is a lesser/greater probability of it causing trouble, even though I am sure non-troublemakers and troublemakers attend both environments.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 25
RE: Booze and the cinema - 21/5/2012 12:51:22 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: JV

It depends on the cinema really. I have been to plenty of indie cinemas where you could buy a beer to take in with you, but never a multiplex.

While I wouldn't want to watch a film hammered, I don't mind a beer. On one of my birthdays when I lived by myself, I was working a late shift and it so happened that, as a Friday, Bubba Ho-Tep was starting that day and my local indie (the awesome Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, folks) had a late showing around 10:30pm or so. I went to it, bought a beer at their bar in the screen itself, and really enjoyed it.

At the risk of sounding classist and elitist, I think selling it in multiplexes is asking for trouble. Maybe it's on a par with it being okay to drink beer on the stands at a rugby match but not at a football match - in some environment there is a lesser/greater probability of it causing trouble, even though I am sure non-troublemakers and troublemakers attend both environments.

One of my most favourite places in the world.
If I'm feeling decadent (and flush) I occasionally take a particularly strong cocktail from downtstairs into screenings there but I agree, it would be a fucking nightmare if people did the same at multiplexes. Having said that, there's a new Studio screen at my local Empire that sells alcohol but the screens are smaller and tend to show slightly less mainstream stuff (I've seen Shame and Martha Marcy May Marlene there this year) so to be brutally frank, there's less chance of some pissed up arsehole who's spent the night assaulting women in Tiger Tiger wandering in than there would be for Transformers 3.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 21/5/2012 1:03:14 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 26
RE: Booze and the cinema - 21/5/2012 1:26:23 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: JV

One of my most favourite places in the world.

When I visited a mate in Newcastle last year, we went there to see Super 8 and I thought it was possibly the best cinema I had been to (and felt very apt watching Super 8 in there)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 27
RE: Booze and the cinema - 21/5/2012 1:37:08 PM   
matty_b

The Tyneside's amazing. I'm thinking about getting a member's pass for a year - definitely the only cinema I've been to where taking a drink in won't lead to trouble.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 28
RE: Booze and the cinema - 23/5/2012 11:52:10 AM   
filmburner30

I dont mind the odd glass of vino when i go to The Curzon in Soho its feesl right doing in their thn skulling a six pack in my local Odeon

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 29
RE: Booze and the cinema - 31/5/2012 4:19:46 PM   
RobotDevil

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_equalizer

I rarely take booze into the cinema unless I'm seeing something at the Clapham Picturehouse or the big Waterloo IMAX. But, I don't really see what the issue is. You queue for popcorn and a massive coke, then sit in your seat clenching your butt-cheeks for 2 hours whilst watching a film. Most people rarely, if ever, go out and get a top-up while the film is on. It's the same for beer. you get a beer or two to last the film, but you wouldn't get up half way through to get a top-up.

And if people are going to be drunk in the cinema, I would hardly blame it on what they sell over the counter. I doubt many people would spend 2 hours queuing in a multiplex for overly expensive beer when they can get more tanked up in the pub before and after. Buying in the cinema has little or no effect on people's inebriated state whilst in that establishment.

I'm a lot more offended by people eating nachos in cinemas than drinking beer.

Agreed - On a recent trip to a local multiplex I queued behind a couple who bought nachos and hotdogs and drinks (2 of each). There were no other tills open and the transaction took 15 minutes (not an exaggeration - I happened to sen a txt as I joined the queue and it was actually 15 mins later that they finished).
It's not the first time that it had happened either.
If cinemas want to sell that stinking rubbish (and I imagine the profit margins are fantastic on nachos) they should have them in a separate queue.

On the subject of alcohol - I enjoy a drink occasionally when watching a film at home and have done so in a few cinemas as well. I draw the line at being actually being drunk or wandering in with a six-pack and spilling it everywhere, both of which are regular features at my nearby cineworld.

I had Korean Barbecue for lunch - I cannot look at a Dr Moreau pigbaby.

(in reply to the_equalizer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Booze and the cinema Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI