Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A New Batman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: A New Batman Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A New Batman - 9/5/2012 6:50:28 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayotik

And Qwerty, I like your reasonings. I should just not think about it and I'll find the films clever?

That sounds awfully like the very smug thing Will Self said about Inception.

I never said you shouldn't think about it, I'm just saying that folks criticisms of TDK & so forth seem to be based on a biased prejudice over Nolan choosing to go with specific tone that is a little unusual for a big budget film / comic book adaptation & that they're enraged people have dared to declare some of the ideas in these "popcorn flicks" being intelligent or having depth.

No, we're simply stating that these films are not as intelligent as fanboys are making them out to be. You lot got enraged that we dare speak less of the Mighty Nolan and threw a hissy fit at us, declaring us wrong and uninformed etc.

You know, the usual fanboy reaction to anyone who has their own opinion.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 151
RE: A New Batman - 9/5/2012 6:56:30 PM   
fiercehairdo

quote:

quote:

And Qwerty, I like your reasonings. I should just not think about it and I'll find the films clever?

That sounds awfully like the very smug thing Will Self said about Inception.

I never said you shouldn't think about it, I'm just saying that folks criticisms of TDK & so forth seem to be based on a biased prejudice over Nolan choosing to go with specific tone that is a little unusual for a big budget film / comic book adaptation & that they're enraged people have dared to declare some of the ideas in these "popcorn flicks" being intelligent or having depth.

No, on the contrary. I love the idea of an intelligent AND entertaining popular movie. The trouble is TDN isn't intelligent. It is confused. Confused moralising and confused philosophising and confused plotting. I'm not enraged either, nor do I detect rage in the nay sayers on here. Just disappointment and bemusement at the fervent nature of the Nolan fans who can't see the many plot holes, illogical twists and other problems... It's not just just nit picking either. The plot is a mess. On the plus side these movies have great performances and some good set pieces as well as high production values. But that doesn't make an intelligent masterpiece. And I haven't even mentioned the pretty terrible handling of action sequences...

BTW, do you have a link to the Will Self piece? Sounds interesting.

Post #: 152
RE: A New Batman - 9/5/2012 7:06:38 PM   
fiercehairdo

Oh, I found the Will Self quote. it's a good'n!! Personally I think he hits the nail on the head and it could be applied to both Inception and TDK:

"Itís a dirty, thankless task, but someone has to do it; someone has to point out that, no, Inception wasnít the last word in SF meta-sophistication, but rather a stupid personís idea of what an intelligent film is like."
http://will-self.com/2011/02/11/on-the-coen-brothers/

Haha! Yeah, a little smug. But he is right.

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 153
RE: A New Batman - 9/5/2012 7:17:44 PM   
Qwerty Norris

No, but he basically said that Inception is a stupid persons idea of an intelligent film.

Perhaps you two aren't enraged - but many are.

There is an argument that there's a lot going on & not all of it fully works, but TDK does have intelligent strands within it. To deny that is just plain daft. I'm not claiming that it's a completely sophisticated film on a par with say a Seventh Seal or a Wings Of Desire, but I feel the pair of you are being overtly dismissive just because it's a film centred around a man dressed in a batsuit & that your suspension of disbelief wasn't fully met.

Personally I found the action sequences rather good, plus the plot twists & holes you speak of I feel can be justified. You two just refuse to see it any other way, which is unfortunate.

It is also of course your opinion, two of which I choose to disagree with.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 154
RE: A New Batman - 9/5/2012 7:21:59 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: fiercehairdo

Oh, I found the Will Self quote. it's a good'n!! Personally I think he hits the nail on the head and it could be applied to both Inception and TDK:

"Itís a dirty, thankless task, but someone has to do it; someone has to point out that, no, Inception wasnít the last word in SF meta-sophistication, but rather a stupid personís idea of what an intelligent film is like."

He's also a condescending twit who seems to be advocating that films with a huge budget shouldn't be attempting to do anything other than provide brainless spectacle. That to me is just a bad as people embracing crap like Transformers & Battleship.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 155
RE: A New Batman - 9/5/2012 7:24:25 PM   
Kayotik

Au contraire, it had nothing to do with my suspension of disbelief. I loved The Avengers, totally overlooked the numerous holes and flaws in it because I knew it was entirely grounded in fantasy.
I love the Batman comics. I suspend my disbelief for everything in that because once again it's grounded in fantasy.

Nolan touted his film as being grounded in reality, thus I found the gaping flaws in the logic and plot more apparent.

But of course, we're not allowed to say bad of the Mighty Nolan, because as you see the rabid fanboys will hear none of it.

Post #: 156
RE: A New Batman - 9/5/2012 8:00:22 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

But of course, we're not allowed to say bad of the Mighty Nolan, because as you see the rabid fanboys will hear none of it.

Err no, I just stated I disagreed with you & then offered an explanation(s) as to why.

I am a bit of a Nolan fanboy, but I can accept reason. I just felt your offering of it wasn't very substantial.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 157
RE: A New Batman - 9/5/2012 8:06:11 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

quote:

Err no, I just stated I disagreed with you & then offered an explanation(s) as to why.

I am a bit of a Nolan fanboy, but I can accept reason. I just felt your offering of it wasn't very substantial.

Oh you're not the worst not by far, you're at least offering a reasonable debate on the subject. Like I said though it's hard to justify an opinion when it is just an opinion.

Post #: 158
RE: A New Batman - 9/5/2012 8:25:12 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh you're not the worst not by far, you're at least offering a reasonable debate on the subject. Like I said though it's hard to justify an opinion when it is just an opinion.

Quite, I guess that unravels both our arguments then!

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 159
RE: A New Batman - 10/5/2012 8:50:17 AM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

You're just being silly and trolling now...

Maybe you should head over to the unpopular opionions thread and start an "I hate Nolan - anyone agree" discusssion.

I don't think you understand what trolling is.

We're having a discussion about Nolan's films, sorry I'm of a different opinion to you. Perhaps if you don't want anyone disagreeing you shouldn't be using an internet forum?

No, you've hijacked a discussion on the new trailer for the new Batman film and taken it off topic and turned it into an "I hate Nolan and his "fanboys" so I'm just trying to piss them off" thread. Which I believe is the very definition of trolling.

100 End

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 160
RE: A New Batman - 10/5/2012 8:54:14 AM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

"It's a dirty, thankless task, but someone has to do it; someone has to point out that, no, Inception wasn't the last word in SF meta-sophistication, but rather a stupid person's idea of what an intelligent film is like."

He's also a condescending twit who seems to be advocating that films with a huge budget shouldn't be attempting to do anything other than provide brainless spectacle. That to me is just a bad as people embracing crap like Transformers & Battleship.

As much as I love Will Self's books (the ones I've read anyway) and find him very funny at times he can also be a smug wanker of the highest order.

Post #: 161
RE: A New Batman - 10/5/2012 9:22:41 AM   
Kayotik

quote:

No, you've hijacked a discussion on the new trailer for the new Batman film and taken it off topic and turned it into an "I hate Nolan and his "fanboys" so I'm just trying to piss them off" thread. Which I believe is the very definition of trolling.

100 End

You would believe wrong then.

And it's not off-topic to discuss the Director and previous films in the franchise that we have just watched the trailer for.

You're exaggerating and now turning this into a childish "nuh uh you said that! omg troll" debate. Like I said, if you don't want to see discussions with various differing opinions, stay off internet forums.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 162
A New Batman - 10/5/2012 9:32:43 AM   
Alistair

Shall we just move on now and all agree to disagree. This has gone wildly off-topic.

So, the new trailer was fantastic!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 163
RE: A New Batman - 10/5/2012 11:30:55 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

quote:

"It's a dirty, thankless task, but someone has to do it; someone has to point out that, no, Inception wasn't the last word in SF meta-sophistication, but rather a stupid person's idea of what an intelligent film is like."

As much as I love Will Self's books (the ones I've read anyway)†and find him very funny at times he can also be a smug wanker†of the highest order.

He's also quite good on question time.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 164
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: A New Batman Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI