Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Batman is coooool. But..........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Batman is coooool. But.......... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Batman is coooool. But.......... - 3/5/2012 1:19:09 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morehumanthanhuman

My main issue with the Batman films is they are based in reality. Lets be honest we watch superhero films because the hero is, erm, super.

Batman's a vigilante....not a superhero.

And the last time the Caped Crusader went fantastical (or super), unsurprisingly, it was shit.

Nolan's decision to ground Batman in reality is what saved the franchise, made it credible again and in my opinion, sets it apart from every other Marvel/DC/etc hero-esque entry.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Morehumanthanhuman)
Post #: 91
Vigilante or hero - 3/5/2012 1:48:26 AM   
Morehumanthanhuman

We all know that Batman is a vigilante. If he wasn`t in the pages of comics or on film and was in fact real, he`d be in a nut house, no question. He features in superhero comics, that makes him a superhero. And imo again, Marvel saved Batman not Nolan. Marvel were turning their hero films out by the dozen, not all were any good but most are. That pushed Dc into action. What else saved Batman? Hype! We`re all told how good this film is, how good Dark Knight was. And guess what we all agree(d) We`ll all go and see it, and because it cost £8 for the ticket price alone we`ll say, "yeah, they were right, it`s ace.". Star wars was reported at the time as, ahem, ok, we all went and the rest is history. Superman the movie, "You will believe a man can fly" , that was all we needed. Now we are drip fed this nonsense. I am very quickly falling out of love with cinema. I`ll go back to reading books etc and wishing they`ed make great films of it..........

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 92
RE: Vigilante or hero - 3/5/2012 9:12:06 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morehumanthanhuman

We all know that Batman is a vigilante. If he wasn`t in the pages of comics or on film and was in fact real, he`d be in a nut house, no question. He features in superhero comics, that makes him a superhero. And imo again, Marvel saved Batman not Nolan. Marvel were turning their hero films out by the dozen, not all were any good but most are. That pushed Dc into action. What else saved Batman? Hype! We`re all told how good this film is, how good Dark Knight was. And guess what we all agree(d) We`ll all go and see it, and because it cost 8 for the ticket price alone we`ll say, "yeah, they were right, it`s ace.". Star wars was reported at the time as, ahem, ok, we all went and the rest is history. Superman the movie, "You will believe a man can fly" , that was all we needed. Now we are drip fed this nonsense. I am very quickly falling out of love with cinema. I`ll go back to reading books etc and wishing they`ed make great films of it..........

Maybe its too early for me; but I am struggling to read this post. Whats your point?

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

Post #: 93
RE: Batman is coooool. But.......... - 3/5/2012 10:03:56 AM   
Discodez

It's all clearly a pile of shit and it would be much better if they brought back Jack Nicholson as the Joker and got Clooney in as he doesn't do that silly sore throat thing that Christian "I'm so Method" Bale does. Hardy looks like a bloke who came to get rid of some asbestos at my house last month and Hathaway is going to be so much rubbish, the part clearly had Madonna written all over it.

Tim Burton must be spinning in Adam West's grave, oh and you are all wankers for not listening to me all along.

Waaaahhhhhh, waaaaahhhhh, baby want bokkle!

Twats.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 94
RE: Batman is coooool. But.......... - 3/5/2012 10:34:21 AM   
Timon

quote:

What else saved Batman? Hype! We`re all told how good this film is, how good Dark Knight was. And guess what we all agree(d) We`ll all go and see it, and because it cost 8 for the ticket price alone we`ll say, "yeah, they were right, it`s ace.".

So... it's wasn't hype, it's because it was good?

I don't understand.

Is everyone taking crazy pills all of a sudden? I must have missed the memo about Christopher Nolan suddenly becoming Brett Ratner and not knowing what he's doing...

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 95
RE: Batman is coooool. But.......... - 3/5/2012 10:37:26 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Is everyone taking crazy pills all of a sudden? I must have missed the memo about Christopher Nolan suddenly becoming Brett Ratner and not knowing what he's doing...

HEATH LEDGER AS THE JOKER WTF I MEAN HE'S NEVER EVEN BEEN... oh wait he's quite good.

etcs

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 96
RE: Batman is coooool. But.......... - 3/5/2012 10:51:22 AM   
Timon

Those were amusing times.

I remember when I broke that news on the forum - Can open. Worms everywhere.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 97
RE: Batman is coooool. But.......... - 3/5/2012 10:52:18 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

What else saved Batman? Hype! We`re all told how good this film is, how good Dark Knight was. And guess what we all agree(d) We`ll all go and see it, and because it cost 8 for the ticket price alone we`ll say, "yeah, they were right, it`s ace.".

So... it's wasn't hype, it's because it was good?

I don't understand.

Oh Timon, clearly people only think it's good because we were conditioned to do so by the hype.

Thankfully morehumanthanhuman is here to let us know what out opinion should be lest we get sucked up by the Hollywood hype machine

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 98
RE: Ann Hathaway - 3/5/2012 11:30:45 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: burtbondy

Is going to kill this film stone dead. Her casting was purely financially driven. To tap into her already established fanbase. That is Nolans real skill. Compromise to fill as many seats as possible.
His politically correct motivated films is everything thats wrong with Hollywood today.

What the what?

Because the Dark Knight' $1 billion box office made the heads at WB go, "You know what it was lacking? Something to appeal to the Devil Wears Prada fanbase..."

(in reply to burtbondy)
Post #: 99
RE: Ann Hathaway - 3/5/2012 11:41:11 AM   
Rob

Yeah but maybe we should be worried. I thought Ledger was a terrible casting decision and actually expressed my distaste quite vociferously in the future film thread...well we all know how that one turned out.

But, and here's my concern, I really like the idea of Hathaway as Catwoman. So by the theory that I have no idea what I'm talking about she's clearly going to be rubbish.

Or maybe the fact that I've mentioned my concern means we'll be all right after all. Who knows. But the one thing that is for sure is that it's only due to my love of the Princess Diaries (1 and 2) that I have any interest in this film.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 100
RE: Ann Hathaway - 3/5/2012 12:09:43 PM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: burtbondy

Is going to kill this film stone dead. Her casting was purely financially driven. To tap into her already established fanbase. That is Nolans real skill. Compromise to fill as many seats as possible.
His politically correct motivated films is everything thats wrong with Hollywood today.

What the what?

Because the Dark Knight' $1 billion box office made the heads at WB go, "You know what it was lacking? Something to appeal to the Devil Wears Prada fanbase..."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 101
RE: CAN NOT WAIT - 3/5/2012 2:27:05 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leonard or Sammy
Your point about Bane, though, is rather pointless as Nolan has always stated that he has wanted to ground the movies in reality and that is what he has done with Bane and I think Tom Hardy is most believable....if someone his size came after me, I would not be hanging around, even though I am taller than Hardy. Seriously, would you prefer a 9ft tall, 5ft wide cgi monstrosity towering over Batman, beating him to a pulp every time? If Batman fights that monstrosity, as opposed to the tiny Tom Hardy how is that believable? HONESTLY

You know there are actors taller than Hardy's 5'10 and who are just as built. Doesn't have to be CGI at all. Not saying he would've been better but first one to spring to mind is Dwayne Johnsone at 6'5 who is built like a tank! And the point is that Batman doesn't beat Bane through brawn, Bane is far too powerful for him. Batman only ever beats him through cunning, though Bane is incredibly intelligent, Batman always manages to just outsmart him.
I'll be interested if Nolan's Batman actually does this, or just beats everyone up as per usual.

(in reply to Leonard or Sammy)
Post #: 102
RE: CAN NOT WAIT - 3/5/2012 3:59:15 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayotik

quote:

Your point about Bane, though, is rather pointless as Nolan has always stated that he has wanted to ground the movies in reality and that is what he has done with Bane and I think Tom Hardy is most believable....if someone his size came after me, I would not be hanging around, even though I am taller than Hardy. Seriously, would you prefer a 9ft tall, 5ft wide cgi monstrosity towering over Batman, beating him to a pulp every time? If Batman fights that monstrosity, as opposed to the tiny Tom Hardy how is that believable? HONESTLY

You know there are actors taller than Hardy's 5'10 and who are just as built. Doesn't have to be CGI at all. Not saying he would've been better but first one to spring to mind is Dwayne Johnsone at 6'5 who is built like a tank! And the point is that Batman doesn't beat Bane through brawn, Bane is far too powerful for him. Batman only ever beats him through cunning, though Bane is incredibly intelligent, Batman always manages to just outsmart him.
I'll be interested if Nolan's Batman actually does this, or just beats everyone up as per usual.

Dwayne Johnson lol,surely theres better examples out there especially when it also includes finding a good actor.
Hardy for me at this time seems perfect.

I think Nolans Batman is far more intelligent than some are giving him credit for.
A few scenes that instantly spring to mind are the Tokyo showdown in TDK,The detective work concerning the gun fingerprints also in TDK,The sonar equipment design and use in TDK.

Since this new trailer has came out I've heard more and more grumblings come out the wood-work,and I haven't a clue as to why.
The trailer felt perfect and I've watched it countless of times.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 103
RE: A New Batman - 4/5/2012 10:20:16 AM   
warren7355

No Batman film has ever really followed the comics faithfully. I'd love to see a lighter, dark grey coloured and agile super-detective like we have in the comics and animated series/films, but at the same time I love the heavier armoured, hard hitting and badass version we get in the live action movies.

They're different sides of the same coin, if you don't like it, don't watch it. And I expect that for all the naysayers that seem to be coming out of the woodwork these past weeks, TDKR will still smash a few records when it gets released.

Post #: 104
RE: CAN NOT WAIT - 4/5/2012 11:27:06 AM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Dwayne Johnson lol,surely theres better examples out there especially when it also includes finding a good actor.

I think Nolans Batman is far more intelligent than some are giving him credit for.
A few scenes that instantly spring to mind are the Tokyo showdown in TDK,The detective work concerning the gun fingerprints also in TDK,The sonar equipment design and use in TDK.

Since this new trailer has came out I've heard more and more grumblings come out the wood-work,and I haven't a clue as to why.

I was using Dwayne Johnson as an example of an actor practically twice the size of Hardy. Though he's a better actor than people give him credit for.
Whenever I read the comics, I always imagined Bane's voice sounding a lot like Riddick from Pitch Black. That cool, ominous, deep voice of a predator.

I wouldn't say they were that intelligent really, just not as dumb as the majority of current films.

Don't get me wrong I do think they are good, enjoyable movies I just personally feel they are far too overhyped.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 105
RE: CAN NOT WAIT - 4/5/2012 12:18:42 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

I still don't really understand what the hell they did there with the finger print thingy.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 106
POTENTIALLY COULD BE MY FAVORITE FILM EVER - 4/5/2012 1:03:55 PM   
Rouski

Ask any of my friends or family and they'll all tell you, that my obsessions for The Dark Knight Rises is bordering on unhealthy. My brother and I have been counting down the very slow, agonising days! This trailer rendered me speechless for a good half and hour! And when I got the power of speech back, it was only so I could quote it, word for word! I actually, physcially cannot wait for this film!

There seems to be a general opinion that you can't understand Bane. I don't know if I'm blinded by biased and love for this film or what - but I saw the prologue in the IMAX theatre, and watched all the trailers, and I can understand him crystal clear (well, crystal and gravel clear). I can't quite place his accent, but the voice is mesmerizingly creepy! I love it! I honestly can't quite grasp why people are struggling to hear him!

Post #: 107
RE: batman and catwoman on the same side? - 4/5/2012 3:52:06 PM   
bigbody

hi to all i am ron i watch this movie very good:)Webseite

(in reply to The Great Danton)
Post #: 108
RE: A New Batman - 4/5/2012 4:40:04 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: warren7355

No Batman film has ever really followed the comics faithfully. I'd love to see a lighter, dark grey coloured and agile super-detective like we have in the comics and animated series/films, but at the same time I love the heavier armoured, hard hitting and badass version we get in the live action movies.

They're different sides of the same coin, if you don't like it, don't watch it. And I expect that for all the naysayers that seem to be coming out of the woodwork these past weeks, TDKR will still smash a few records when it gets released.

A-hem:

http://www.bat-mania.co.uk/movie/images/batman_1966.jpg

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to warren7355)
Post #: 109
RE: A New Batman - 4/5/2012 5:53:39 PM   
rich

quote:

I still don't really understand what the hell they did there with the finger print thingy.

It makes no sense on any level. Sonar doesnt work like that either.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 110
RE: A New Batman - 4/5/2012 6:03:11 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

It's a Nolan worship thing. If they can't understand it, that means the movie is extremely clever. Same happened with Inception, people raved about how intelligent it was and how much of a mindfuck it was.
No it just didn't make sense and had made-up science. Other than, very simple plotline.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 111
Prediction - 5/5/2012 7:38:11 PM   
jothman

batman gets ass kicked and back broken, bane takes over gotham, 8 yrs later batman rises to defeat bane with catwman helping in bad girl good girl role, batman dies!!!! My prediction oh and i dont think they will do robin or nightwing

Post #: 112
RE: A New Batman - 7/5/2012 5:53:16 PM   
fiercehairdo

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a Nolan worship thing. If they can't understand it, that means the movie is extremely clever. Same happened with Inception, people raved about how intelligent it was and how much of a mindfuck it was.
No it just didn't make sense and had made-up science. Other than, very simple plotline.

100% agree with Kayotik here. Inception is ridiculous and non-sensical. Very silly but fooled many of the popcorn crowd into thinking they were watching art-house with added explosions. The Dark Knight is riddled with ludicrous plot holes and bizarre inexplicable character behaviour (and don't give me "agent of chaos" rubbish as explanation!) Nolan is very over-rated and hasn't lived up to potential of the wonderful Following and Memento unfortunately.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 113
RE: A New Batman - 7/5/2012 10:54:01 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: fiercehairdo

Nolan is very over-rated and hasn't lived up to potential of the wonderful Following and Memento unfortunately.

This is a bizarre statement, given the characterisation problems of TDK & Inception could just as easily be attributed to some of the figureheads in Following & Memento as well.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 114
RE: New Dark Knight Rises Trailer Lands - 7/5/2012 11:19:25 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

It's a Nolan worship thing. If they can't understand it, that means the movie is extremely clever. Same happened with Inception, people raved about how intelligent it was and how much of a mindfuck it was. No it just didn't make sense and had made-up science. Other than, very simple plotline.

Gotta love forum members who claim to know how other film fans think. Brilliant stuff.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 115
RE: New Dark Knight Rises Trailer Lands - 8/5/2012 6:49:12 AM   
Dirk Miggler

Hang on, you mean we can't share dreams to steal peoples secrets. Who knew !

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 116
RE: A New Batman - 8/5/2012 9:22:25 AM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

quote:

OH NO!!!! Comic book movies use, comic book science as plot devices, whatever will these unscrupulous film makers do next! Someone call the cops....

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 117
RE: A New Batman - 8/5/2012 9:40:39 AM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

quote:

quote:

OH NO!!!! Comic book movies use, comic book science as plot devices, whatever will these unscrupulous film makers do next! Someone call the cops....

I'd have no problem with it using comic book science if they didn't tout it as being "realistic" and "grounded in reality" etc.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 118
RE: A New Batman - 8/5/2012 11:26:16 AM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd have no problem with it using comic book science if they didn't tout it as being "realistic" and "grounded in reality" etc.

Direct quote from Nolan: "To me, writing has been a process of starting with reality and taking it to a more exaggerated place and examining it in an inflated way. Then it gets more entertaining." http://www.ariel-leve.com/st_interviews/christophernolan.html

He's never claimed that his films are real or 100% scientifically accurate, it's people wanting a stick to beat him with that seem to have been labouring under that misapprehension.

Sure you don't like his films or his style, that's fine, but at least have an argument that stands up to scrutiny.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 119
RE: A New Batman - 8/5/2012 11:53:19 AM   
Dirk Miggler

I think your taking the notion of being realistic and grounded in reality far too literal. It's a stylistic approach, if you don't like it fair enough but it's probably not the best idea to start criticising the people who do just because the idea is completely lost on you.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Batman is coooool. But.......... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI