Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 1/5/2012 1:12:12 AM   
Spaldron

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47234373/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.T58kBKtYtqJ

quote:

Zeilinger said the technique could one day be used to communicate between superfast quantum computers, which rely on entanglement to store information. Such a machine has not yet been created, but experiments like this are a step toward that goal, the researchers say.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 1
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 1/5/2012 1:36:09 AM   
Darth Marenghi

It's not that mind-blowing really, Spaldron. You see, people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 1/5/2012 9:44:01 AM   
Chief

This all sounds like some scientists making up some bullshit about some things that don't really exist; quantum physics = magic.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 3
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 9:02:25 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Could it be magic? No.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 4
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 9:11:24 PM   
BigKovacs

It's a kind of magic.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 5
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 9:13:40 PM   
Woger

Quantum physics supposedly played a massive part in electronics, it's the likes of string theory that falls into the "if you can't blind them with science, baffle them with bullshit territory" (not that I know much about physics).

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 6
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 9:21:14 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I just wanna know when we're gonna get holodecks and transporters.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 7
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 9:26:56 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Quantum physics supposedly played a massive part in electronics, it's the likes of string theory that falls into the "if you can't blind them with science, baffle them with bullshit territory" (not that I know much about physics).

Not really, String Theory is used to explain certain aspects of quantum physics.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 8
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 9:28:47 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I just wanna know when we're gonna get holodecks and transporters.

And anti-gravity bikes. I'm sure Tomorrow's World said around 2003.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 9
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 9:32:19 PM   
homersimpson_esq

3 years for hoverboards.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 10
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 9:32:34 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

quote:

Not really, String Theory is used to explain certain aspects of quantum physics.

Is there not some branch of physocs that's considered unprovable?

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 11
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 10:01:36 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

quote:

quote:

Some theories can be considered unprovable if that's what you mean, however they may turn out to be provable in time as our grasp of physics and observational tools improve.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 12
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/5/2012 10:20:38 PM   
Woger

I may have taken it the wrong way but I thought that string theory (or some branch) was unproevable in the sense that it can't be applied in everyday life whereas with quantum physics as much as it sounds like gibberish (to a lay man) it has real world applications like electronics.

- - -

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 13
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 3/5/2012 3:26:22 AM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Some theories can be considered unprovable if that's what you mean, however they may turn out to be provable in time as our grasp of physics and observational tools improve.

Now mathematical theorems can be both provable and unprovable at the same time, muhahahaha!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 14
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 3/5/2012 3:29:12 AM   
Saltire

quote:

I may have taken it the wrong way but I thought that string theory (or some branch) was unproevable in the sense that it can't be applied in everyday life whereas with quantum physics as much as it sounds like gibberish (to a lay man) it has real world applications like electronics.

I have books on string theory (though not started them yet guiltily! Still working on General Relativity and Quantum) but there will probably be something found that may turn to be useful in everyday life just like what happened with lasers and fractals when they were both discovered.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 15
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 3/5/2012 9:31:53 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

I have books on string theory (though not started them yet guiltily! Still working on General Relativity and Quantum) but there will probably be something found that may turn to be useful in everyday life just like what happened with lasers and fractals when they were both discovered.

Ditch them and replace them with ones on membrane theory, the math looks much better for that approach

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 16
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 3/5/2012 11:52:17 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

Ditch them and replace them with ones on membrane theory, the math looks much better for that approach

Ditch them and get proper books with stories & characters and stuff.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 17
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 3/5/2012 9:56:29 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

quote:

One of the books I have concentrates on M-Theory and branes, looking forward to starting it sometime this year!

< Message edited by Saltire -- 3/5/2012 9:57:33 PM >

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 18
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 3/5/2012 9:59:13 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ditch them and get proper books with stories & characters and stuff.

They are more entertaining than some books I've read!! There's nothing like when you see how a weird result comes about and the consequences of that result, that then blows your mind - fantastic stuff!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 19
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 3/5/2012 10:11:38 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

One of the books I have concentrates on M-Theory and branes, looking forward to starting it sometime this year!

That's not a book...........

THAT's a book.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 20
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 4/5/2012 10:18:32 AM   
gunstar

Yes, yes, that's all well and good. But how do magnets work? Now that's the question!

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 21
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 6/5/2012 9:43:39 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's not a book...........

THAT's a book.

I think Ian Hislop demonstrated effusive praise for the book when he said "352 dismal masturbatory pagey-wages". Speaking of a quantum entanglement, how is your post count -131? (at time of posting).

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 22
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 7/5/2012 11:09:10 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

I think Ian Hislop demonstrated effusive praise for the book when he said "352 dismal masturbatory pagey-wages". Speaking of a quantum entanglement, how is your post count -131? (at time of posting).

It was the first bad book that popped into my head, I am sure there are many worse. I was feeling pretty cut up about the -131 thing, just kinda hoped that no one would notice (or at least not mention it) thanks for bringing it up

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 23
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/7/2012 3:51:41 PM   
Woger

Flying spaghetti monster particle may have been found, expect a lot of blank faces at the upcoming news coverage.

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-proof-god-particle-found-131226045.html

- - -

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 24
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 2/7/2012 9:43:40 PM   
great_badir

Well, as long as things are put right that once went wrong, I'm happy.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 25
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 3/7/2012 12:09:41 AM   
Saltire

Been reading about this for the last few days and will await the official press release to see what they say - also looking forward to the journalists patronising versions on it as if they know what the hell they are talking about and giving us plebs their awe-inspiring take on it all!

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 26
RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown - 3/7/2012 7:26:58 AM   
BigKovacs

That and some daft bi-polar opinions on what might be discovered, 'God himself' or 'a waste of a billion dollars'.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI