Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Not As Good As The Original

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Not As Good As The Original Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Not As Good As The Original - 2/5/2012 10:11:37 AM   
steffols

Hmm not a fan of the smoked sausage. Far too salty for my tastes. The battered sausage is beautiful though. What I love about Scottish chippies in particular is the sheer amount you can get for your money. Batter sausage supper will probably come in at about 2.50 and for that you get a heap of chips and two battered sausages. Amazing price for heart disease.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 61
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 10:16:53 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Here's a thought.....

Independence? Yey or Ney?

I'm undecided - for the simple reason being that neither side of the argument have bothered to provide a compelling answer that doesn't fit their own biased agenda.

Additionally, chippies of all kind make me boke.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 2/5/2012 10:17:23 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 62
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 10:21:53 AM   
elab49

I think it's a moot point at the moment because Independence would mean a particular set of people in power - and who in their right mind wants that fat-headed self-aggrandising obnoxious little tit in charge of our country - the el presidente hat he's gagging for atop his head - with NOTHING holding him back?

Anyone voting for with the SNP in power is suicidal.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 63
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 10:59:29 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think it's a moot point at the moment because Independence would mean a particular set of people in power - and who in their right mind wants that fat-headed self-aggrandising obnoxious little tit in charge of our country - the el presidente hat he's gagging for atop his head - with NOTHING holding him back?

More people than you'd like, I suspect.

quote:

Anyone voting for with the SNP in power is suicidal.

Expand?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing by the way. Salmond's always been an power-hungry opportunist with a brass neck to boot. But I'd like to see/hear/read something a little more substantial than a simple nightmarish portrayal of lord Alec becoming el presidente (or mein fuhrer if David Starkey is to be believed. ), something which I feel the unionist parties and certain sections of the media tend to indulge in, rather than face the issue of independence V union head on.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 64
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 11:16:06 AM   
elab49

But we can only go on their behaviour so far - not indulge in desperate hopes their modus operandi will change with nation status. Salmond has spent too long blaming Westminster for everything - we can't pay for this, Westminster don't give us enough. This went wrong - that's down to a Westminster decision. He made it clear very early on. Decisions on the spend of a good chunk of the Scottish block is down to the Scottish parliament so Scotland can chose to use a particular allocation for something different to the rest of the UK. Salmond's approach almost from the first was hysterical - LOOK WHAT THEY ARE SPENDING ON THEMSELVES, WE DON'T HAVE MONEY FOR IT (it was some agricultural thingy), got the headlines he wanted and then left it for others to sort out as everyone with a whit of non red-top sense knew it was simply a pot of money that Scotland had spend on something else that the rest of the UK didn't have, and vice versa. The removal of prescription charges is a pretty good example of that. He likes a good headline - like the council tax freeze - but then goes blind to all of the fallout on shrinking council services. Or he trumpets about keeping tertiary education cheap for Scots students (or, basically, everyone but other UK students since the EU can still come here on the cheap) but they keep quiet all of the support services they've slashed and burned to keep their precious headline - SAAS, e.g., cut a lot of poor students off at the knees in terms of the support they needed. Education isn't as free as the SNP like to pretend.

So if they get their way we'll have a decade or so of blaming the English for not leaving us with enough money and arguing over what is 'ours', so they can still lay blame for a while and then that'll be it. Of course, by that point we'll be economically fucked IMO so it won't matter.

I hope having Salmond in his gold braid uniform and hat will be enough to quell the current demand for a vote. And it's a useful thing to scare people off with. It's quite bad for those who genuinely believe they want it and can't stand the SNP either but, tbh, tough. The idea that they can make the decision up front with absolutely no checks and balances in place to ensure the place doesn't collapse within a couple of years is economically naive nonsense. One acronym - RBS. One fact - while oil might have been the big hope in the 70s it's too late to rely on it long-term on even the most conservative estimates.

In short, for me, I'm British and Scottish. That kind of duality works fine enough in the US and they haven't even held on to it as long!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 65
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 11:21:13 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

and who in their right mind wants that fat-headed self-aggrandising obnoxious little tit in charge of our country

Yeah, especially as you've got one already...

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 66
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 12:51:24 PM   
great_badir

Back to haggis for a mo (cos I LOVES it), Halls is the best supermarket Haggis by far (Macsween's can go fuck itself) and is actually very tasty. But obviously not a patch on the real stuff - Stravaigin's in Glasgow does an amazing (and multiple award winning) haggis.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 67
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 2:25:27 PM   
Rhubarb

So this is actually about Scotland this time? How disappointing.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 68
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 2:31:53 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

What was it about before ?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 69
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 2:36:18 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I always thought that the first rule of the Scottish thread was that you don't talk about Scotland.

Second rule, see the first.

1999 wants their joke back, I know.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 70
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 2:51:06 PM   
superdan

I'm just disappointed no-one seemed to spot my Simpson's quote on the first page

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 71
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 2:51:48 PM   
elab49

The majority of non-Scots posting in the thread was always rather noteworthy. 

quote:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 72
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 3:08:08 PM   
Woger

W
quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Here's a thought.....

Robbies yer man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_the_Pict

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 73
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 3:10:17 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

The majority of non-Scots posting in the thread was always rather noteworthy.

I'm 1/4 Scottish, so I will post here a wee bit. I was also Scottish Jr Triple Jump Champion at one point which means I might post here on occasions when Scottish triple jumping is under discussion.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 74
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 3:11:26 PM   
Rebenectomy

Oh and I always got The Broons and that other one annual each Christmas as a kid.

Post #: 75
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 3:32:58 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Oh and I always got The Broons and that other one annual each Christmas as a kid.

I used to get Oor Wullie.

Post #: 76
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 3:42:21 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

I used to get Oor Wullie.

Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'body's Wullie ? I suspect that wee prick is from Lochee and these days would happily chib you for your ehPhone. If I see that cunt I'm going to crash him. Bawbag. Grandpaw Broon can ram it too. Maggie Broon would get ten rapid nae bather tho.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 77
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 3:54:37 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Here's a thought.....

I'm undecided - for the simple reason being that neither side of the argument have bothered to provide a compelling answer that doesn't fit their own biased agenda.

Nay, Nay and thrice nay!

As Elab has said, to do so with SNP in power would be foolish. I voted for them the last time but never again. Salmond is a cockbag of the highest order.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 78
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 4:00:57 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Here's a thought.....

Nay, Nay and thrice nay!

As Elab has said, to do so with SNP in power would be foolish. I voted for them the last time but never again. Salmond is a cockbag of the highest order.

Aye, he's a Dick. If Scotland goes solo I'm emigrating to Newcastle.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 79
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 4:01:19 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

What was it about before ?

"banter"

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 80
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 4:43:51 PM   
Spaldron

Edinburgh chippies>>>>>>>>>>>>>all other Scottish chippies

The only city in Scotland where you can smother everything in that beautiful Edinburgh chippy sauce (and no its not just ordinary brown sauce). In Glasgow they drown it in vinegar () making everything all rank, same with everywhere else in my experience. Chippy sauce rules.

As for the deep fried Mars bars they're hardly a myth. Most chip shops in Edinburgh will do one, you just have to ask as they usually don't advertise them, except the one at the top of Broughton Street which is famous for them.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 81
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 4:44:07 PM   
homersimpson_esq

So, new topic.

How about that Scottish triple jumping? Anyone have any useful information to share about this topic?

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 82
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 4:50:31 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

The only city in Scotland where you can smother everything in that beautiful Edinburgh chippy sauce (and no its not just ordinary brown sauce). In Glasgow they drown it in vinegar () making everything all rank, same with everywhere else in my experience. Chippy sauce rules.

As for the deep fried Mars bars they're hardly a myth. Most chip shops in Edinburgh will do one, you just have to ask as they usually don't advertise them, except the one at the top of Broughton Street which is famous for them.

There is a chipper in Dundee that will do you a peperami supper. Whilst I found this to be most enjoyable it cost near enough the same as a fish supper. I would argue this doesn't represent good value for money.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 83
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 5:03:04 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

You haven't tried every single chippie in Scotland, though, have you? So, you can't really say that. Just like I can't really deny it as I haven't tried a chippy in Edinburgh

quote:

Yeah, my local used to do them all the time. And deep fried Bounty bars and deep Fried Topics.....

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 84
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 6:15:41 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

quote:

Wrong. Stonehaven chippies win every single time, although there are some fab ones in this city.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 85
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 6:16:07 PM   
boaby

After at first being horrified by Edinburgh chippers and their bizarre saaaas I came round to the notion that it's nae bad. "Ye waan'in' saul' 'n' saaaas pal?"

Plus, if you timed it right, the chipper roon' the corner fae my flat on Viewforth would gie ye 2 fish. Ace min.

A chipper up my way does a spicy haggis pouch. It's affa fine.

Black pudding is my usual though.

Dinna like Durie, nor Pressley (the divin' Matalan Mourinho tramp.) though he hiz been spikking an inordinate amount o' sense recently, nor Craig Harry Potter 4-6-0 Levein. Dinna mind Hendry, nae affa fond o' him like.

Yes to independence fae me. I think, I know, a fair number of people who vote SNP just now will leave the party and vote for other parties if independence should be achieved. I think there'd be something of a redrawing of politics in Scotland. I think a Scottish Labour party fully separate from the UK would be closer to the old-school principles of the party rather than New Labour. Interesting battle between the returning "exiles" and the "natives" for the run of the party. I think the tories, if they became properly Scottish Tory party might pinch a substantial wedge of voters from the SNP, or indeed, vice vera. The SNP would definitely change significantly. Not really a stick on that an SNP led by Salmond would be in power. The electoral system would probably be have some sort of PR so coalitions might well be the norm. It'll no doubt take a good while for midsets of politicians in Scotland to change to fit within a Scottish polity.

Independence is a long term thing. If people vote based on the short term then there either won't be independence or people will feel duped in the aftermath. My idea of an independent Scotland is pretty irrelevent. No-one can say with any confidence what it will look like or be. For it to work it will need self-belief and maturity. I think it can work. I think it can go wrong.

If the constitution, voting system, parliamentary structure are defined by the SNP then it won't work. These things need the input from all in Scottish society. I've seen nothing to indicate the Unionist parties are willing to discuss such things pre-referendum. Understandably so really, from a tactical viewpoint. Deciding on such things in a considered and inclusive way beforehand removes some of the uncertainty, removes some of the unknowns from which fear can easily spring. If these things are not setteld pre-ref then the ref becomes about an idea. It's easy to take the p!ss out of an idea - romantic, unrealistic, unworkable, etc, etc.

I believe, with full participation in the building process, that Scotland can be a far better country than it is just now. Won't be easy. Failure is an option. But I think Scotland in the UK is now one long, slow, failure.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 86
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 6:19:20 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

You mean the piccante? I thought they were more famous for their DJ sets over the weekend.

At least they used to be, there weren't any pumping tunes the last time I was there...

Have to be honest though, I've never even noticed an option in there for a deep fried mars bar (not that I was looking for one it has to be said....)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 87
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 6:43:11 PM   
boaby

Folk fah went to my school:

Scotty Booth: former Utrecht, Twente, Borussia Dortmund and Aberdeen player. Winner of World Club Cup. Capped a few times by Scotland and scorer of a few goals. Affa injury prone. Best player to play for Aberdeen since Eoin Jess left - largely bacuse his was in possession of something which might fairly be called a good first touch.

Gav Rae: former Cardiff and Dundee player. Currently in teh process of winding down a largely unimpressive career at his home town club - this has offered some cleansing of his soul after an unfortunate period with them that's best not spoken of.

Dennis Wyness: dismal former Aberdeen yoof product punted to Caley where he became something of a legend. Took the Jambos for a fair whack of cash to boot. Go on yersel' min.

We've had some journos and doctors and such like but only three really important folk - footballers.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 88
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 8:04:47 PM   
Lucky Day

The Proclaimers went to my school. I win.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 89
RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Electric Boogaloo - 2/5/2012 8:06:57 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

The Proclaimers went to my school. I win.

Did they walk to school?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Scottish Thread 2 - Not As Good As The Original Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI