Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

Hall of Fame: Noirs Round

The Asphalt Jungle (Huston, 1950)
  0% (0)
Blue Velvet (Lynch, 1985)
  30% (7)
Cutter's Way (Passer, 1981)
  4% (1)
Double Indemnity (Wilder, 1944)
  13% (3)
In a Lonely Place (Ray, 1950)
  4% (1)
The Killing (Kubrick, 1956)
  8% (2)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Black, 2005)
  4% (1)
Laura (Preminger, 1944)
  4% (1)
The Long Goodbye (Altman, 1973)
  8% (2)
Murder, My Sweet (Dmytryk, 1944)
  8% (2)
Touch of Evil (Welles, 1958)
  0% (0)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Zemeckis, 1988)
  13% (3)

Total Votes : 23

(last vote on : 20/9/2012 4:08:45 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 2/5/2012 9:11:54 PM   
Rebenectomy

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is on Lovefilm instant at the moment.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 61
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 3/5/2012 1:02:30 AM   
MonsterCat

Double Indemnity is on Sky Classics this Friday at 7:50am.

Probably a bit too early to be watching films at that time, but I might as well it catch up with it then.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 3/5/2012 1:09:24 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 62
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 3/5/2012 10:29:11 AM   
chris_scott01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is on Lovefilm instant at the moment.

Watched it last night before it disappears. I'm feeling pretty much the same as before; there are some good moments which get the comedy/ noir elements mixed well, but there's too many weaknesses for me. The opening scene and narration that bookend the film felt very amateurish, worn out jokes and badly written. Michelle Monaghan offers little characterisation or humour and the amount of coincidences simply drowns the plot.

On the other hand the frame up sequence was very funny.

rapidite! rapidite!

Post #: 63
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 3/5/2012 1:51:06 PM   
elab49

If anyone has Movies4men the +1 channel has Murder My Sweet (under the Farewell My Lovely title) on at 2pm.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 64
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 5/5/2012 11:10:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Watched Roger Rabbit with the children today. I hadn't seen it in far too long. The children loved it, too, getting a lot from seeing all the characters they know and love. My daughter asked if we could watch another one tomorrow, to which I had to respond that that was the only one. I've never had the feeling of "no sequels" being disappointing before, but I did today.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 65
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 5/5/2012 11:40:25 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Watched Roger Rabbit with the children today. I hadn't seen it in far too long. The children loved it, too, getting a lot from seeing all the characters they know and love. My daughter asked if we could watch another one tomorrow, to which I had to respond that that was the only one. I've never had the feeling of "no sequels" being disappointing before, but I did today.

If they haven't seen it already, how about showing them Watership Down?

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

Post #: 66
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 5/5/2012 11:42:37 PM   
rawlinson

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 67
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 6/5/2012 9:19:16 PM   
Rebenectomy

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Hadn't seen it in years and re-watched it tonight. Such a great film and some fantastic bits that were great to revisit, from the Cowboy Bullets, to the Acme portable holes - Q. Are me and Mr Reb the only people who pretend those black rubber place mats in restaurants can be slapped against the wall and given a good fisting?.

Brilliant stuff.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 68
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 6/5/2012 9:33:05 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Are me and Mr Reb the only people who can be slapped against the wall and given a good fisting?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 69
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 6/5/2012 10:06:03 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Are me and Mr Reb the only people who can be slapped against the wall and given a good fisting?

Well we all know that's not the case, y' ma can be for one.

Post #: 70
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 16/5/2012 4:38:26 PM   
Rhubarb

I watched Murder My Sweet yesterday and really liked it - Powell is totally the Marlowe I imagined on the page, and was brilliant to watch. Great stuff.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 71
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 17/5/2012 8:24:25 AM   
matty_b

Four people have voted in this poll.

41 people have voted for their favourite member of Girls Aloud.

That makes me sad.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 72
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 17/5/2012 8:37:46 AM   
hubu_phonk

Seen a few nominations so far..

Asphalt Jungle - Pretty damn good. Actually thought James Whitmore was the best thing in it though

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - An enjoyable goofy caper. But Most of the Narration was annoying TBH but it had a fair bit of charm in what it was doing

Who Framed Rodger Rabbit - Still a hoot after all these years

The Long Goodbye - Brilliant stuff. The best so far, and i always find Elliott Gould a joy to watch, and a legendary chain smoker

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 17/5/2012 8:39:03 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 73
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 18/5/2012 12:50:47 PM   
rick_7

This is the first time I've ever seen all the films nominated at the beginning. Quite a few of my favourites in there (In a Lonely Place, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Double Indemnity, Laura), but I went for Murder, My Sweet.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 74
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 18/5/2012 12:57:56 PM   
elab49

Lovely person (and ditto Rhubarb).

I should go bug Dudeabides into voting - she'll pick Dick Powell I'm sure

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 75
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 20/5/2012 2:48:25 PM   
elab49

If you can get it on your TV (we can get ITV London on our planner for Sky, not sure what Freeview services allow but I know a lot of people up here can get English ITV channels as it's the only way to see programmes STV can't be arsed showing) Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is on STV at 10.15pm tonight. 

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 76
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 22/5/2012 2:59:18 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Lovely person (and ditto Rhubarb).

I should go bug Dudeabides into voting - she'll pick Dick Powell I'm sure

I can't choose between Murder, My Sweet and The Long Goodbye. And even that's been traumatic cutting out Double Indemnity etc.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 77
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 22/5/2012 3:05:23 PM   
elab49

Dick Powell can sing better than Eliot Gould.

(And is also the better Marlowe)

And Claire Trevor vs Nina van Pallandt is just not a contest.

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 78
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 22/5/2012 3:15:55 PM   
Professor Moriarty

You are wisely choosing to ignore Sterling Hayden's performance in TLG I see. I can watch the film for that alone.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 79
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 22/5/2012 3:36:17 PM   
elab49

Bugger - I was hoping you'd have forgotten that by now.

Claire could kick his butt too, though.

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 80
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 1/6/2012 2:10:52 AM   
Rebel scum

The Long Goodbye-Amazing. Gould is great, I loved the tone, fantastic ending.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 81
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 6/6/2012 10:54:17 PM   
Rebel scum

In A Lonely Place-Bogart is amazing, the story is affecting, the Macguffin sticks around for a bit too long, great ending.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 82
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 9/6/2012 12:26:45 AM   
chris_scott01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

In A Lonely Place-Bogart is amazing, the story is affecting, the Macguffin sticks around for a bit too long, great ending.

Isn't it the job of a Macguffin to have effect until the end of the story? If the killer was revealed at any earlier point the tragedy would be lost. Isn't it because of the Macguffin that the ending is "great" as you say?

I've managed to get through quite a few lately. Murder, My Sweet really made a big impression on me this time, a lot of Claire Trevor's acting started to get irritating but everything else is excels enough for that not to matter much.

Double Indemnity flows like liquid gold; the narration never irritates or becomes too intrusive, the idea to have him confessing to a friend doubling up as the narration works so well and gives what might have been a mundane job real expression. I just love Robinson in this (possibly my favourite performance from him). He's played gangsters and innocents and fits them both well but his role here just seems to fit him perfectly.

I've always liked it but now I've finally learned to love In a Lonely Place. The Asphalt Jungle and The Killing are both superb heist capers, Asphalt nudging ahead on it's characterisation merits, all this is making a short list very difficult indeed.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 83
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 9/6/2012 3:16:41 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

quote:

Isn't it the job of a Macguffin to have effect until the end of the story? If the killer was revealed at any earlier point the tragedy would be lost. Isn't it because of the Macguffin that the ending is "great" as you say?

SPOILERS FOR IN A LONELY PLACE

In hindsight, Macguffin is the wrong word. Bogart's need for an alibi is what gets the two together, and from there it becomes an interesting examination into Bogart's psyche and Grahame's determination to make it work. The thing is that the film regularly jumps away from this interesting bit of story to remind us that Hey! there's still an unsolved murder! before going back to the interesting bits.

Also, I loved the ending because it's bleak enough without the Macguffin, the reason it hit so hard for me is because Grahame realises she can't make it work, and even though they love each other it just wouldn't work out. Cutting away from this slow realisation to the cops going "Sure is convenient that guy was found guilty!" detracted from the scene for me, instead of enhancing it. By the time the call from the cops reaches the two of them, the ending of the film has already been decided and doesn't change as a result of the news.

I still really like the film though, don't get me wrong. It's currently sitting at 29th on my list for this year. It's just that small niggle that stopped me scoring it higher.

Post #: 84
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 9/6/2012 10:23:16 AM   
chris_scott01

quote:

SPOILERS FOR IN A LONELY PLACE

In hindsight, Macguffin is the wrong word. Bogart's need for an alibi is what gets the two together, and from there it becomes an interesting examination into Bogart's psyche and Grahame's determination to make it work. The thing is that the film regularly jumps away from this interesting bit of story to remind us that Hey! there's still an unsolved murder! before going back to the interesting bits.

I almost forgot about the murder investigation once their relationship had started, so I know what you mean. But it's still fairly intertwined with their plot. At the point where you have almost forgotten the investigation Dix is surprised to find out that Laurel still suspects him, as if all along he hasn't even considered that his violent actions haven't affected Laurel's trust. I thought the sparse use of the investigation in the second half was well done because on one hand it reflects Dix's immersion in his own world (a state of mind he gets into when he attacks that sports guy too) and on the other hand it reflects Laurel's mistrust by having these things constantly nagging in the back of her mind.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 85
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 10/6/2012 3:02:45 PM   
kind_cactus

Hello,

Been away for the best part of six weeks so haven't been able to comment, but I've been watching and enjoying so far.

Asphalt Jungle - Took a while to get going, but once it did I enjoyed it.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Brilliant
Cutter's Way - Really good, can't believe I'd never heard of it before, I love Bridges
Long Goodbye - One of my favourites so far from the one's I hadn't seen previously
Double Indemnity - Very good, but I think I let it's reputation set my expectations too high and I wasn't as blown away as I thought I'd be.
Blue Velvet - Amazing film

Have a Nice Day

Post #: 86
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 14/6/2012 8:53:17 PM   
Rebel scum

Touch of Evil-Leads are boring, plot is muddled, looks great, Welles is sublime and makes the film.

(in reply to kind_cactus)
Post #: 87
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 20/6/2012 2:00:57 PM   
Rebel scum

The Killing-Starts off slowly, there's a huge increase in quality once the heist starts, that wife is a proper bitch.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 88
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 20/6/2012 4:14:11 PM   
chris_scott01

Just Blue Velvet to go for me. I'm really glad I joined in this round I've absolutely loved watching some of them again.

I hadn't seen Roger Rabbit in well over 10 years and I used to watch it all the time. That cartoon that starts it is so brilliantly OTT, it had me in stitches (a lot of that is nostalgia I think, I had a permanant grin the whole way through)

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 89
RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round - 25/6/2012 10:35:23 AM   
rawlinson

We usually give two months for the first round of HoF, so technically this should be finishing at the weekend. How far along is everyone?

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: Hall of Fame: Noirs Round Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI