Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Avengers (2012)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Avengers (2012) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 6/5/2012 5:58:23 PM   
Scruffybobby

Avengers takes $200 miilion in US opening weekend. (on top of $441m already taken worldwide)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17977410

Bravo Mr Whedon, Bravo.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 6/5/2012 6:01:28 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 91
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 11:56:37 AM   
shool

Saw this Sunday night, and it was totally great.

A thought it took a little while to find is stride, but when it did it bounded along.

Great Film for me 4/5

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 92
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 12:14:56 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

Comment on the acting. This is the most impressed I've been by Scarlett Johansson in a film since Lost in Translation. Since then she's seemed to be not much more that a pretty face acting as placeholder for [female lead]. She's appeared in lots of respectable films but never struck me as being anything more than adequate (e.g. The Prestige).

I'd agree with that, In fact I've never been particularly impressed by her in anything until this. I really enjoyed her performance.

Same here. Some fine comic timing.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 93
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 8:12:59 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Before i read through this thread, i just need to do a quick post. Just got back from seeing this and absolutely loved it! Great movie, with fantastio action and fx. Not perfect by any means but a wonderful summer blockbuster. After John carter and Battleship as well, it's been an awesome summer so far!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 94
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 8:59:02 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Before i read through this thread, i just need to do a quick post. Just got back from seeing this and absolutely loved it! Great movie, with fantastio action and fx. Not perfect by any means but a wonderful summer blockbuster. After John carter and Battleship as well, it's been an awesome summer so far!

Glad you liked it DK but given the sheer amount of action anf fx on display there was no doubt in my mind that you would.Good to hear you are going back to the cinema more often these days rather than justing waiting for blu ray as well.

As for John Carter and Battleship...thought John Carter was only average,couldnt be bothered watching Battleship as it looks awful.

Avengers is one of the best summer blockbusters iv seen in years.I have a feeling TDKR will be even better though.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 95
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 9:30:19 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

Glad you liked it DK but given the sheer amount of action anf fx on display there was no doubt in my mind that you would.Good to hear you are going back to the cinema more often these days rather than justing waiting for blu ray as well.

As for John Carter and Battleship...thought John Carter was only average,couldnt be bothered watching Battleship as it looks awful.

Avengers is one of the best summer blockbusters iv seen in years.I have a feeling TDKR will be even better though.

Well it's a shame you didnt think much of John Carter, i really loved that. Wonderful pulp sci fi. Battleship is really good! I'd say that's my favourite out of the three (seriously!) it's got a great sense of humour and Taylor Kitsch is much better than he was in John carter (although i thought he was good enough in that).

So many great moments in The Avengers. before i get onto that though, let me start with the few negatives;

The middle section on the aircraft carrier definitely went on too long. The scale of the movie didn't feel epic enough until the last act. Although in a way i guess part of the point is that it makes the final act even more spectacular.

Black Widow and Hawkeye are very dull IMO. I was hoping they would get their chance to come into their in this, but their characters are so flat! Even with attempts to humanise natasha, her performance is pretty one note.

The actual alien race seemed a bit throwaway. perhaos could have benefitted with a bit more time getting to know them. Essentially they were just fodder in the movie, and could've been a little more.

The aspect ratio bugged me. At first i thought the cinema was projecting it wrong and i checked with a member of staff who told me that's the way it was shot. I was expecting it to be full widescreen and fill the screen. (please tell me the cinema was projecting it wrong, as it was pretty distracting at first.)

On to some of the many positives:

Hulk was fabulous! Just loved every moment with him and his action scenes were immense.

The city finale ranks up there with one of the best extended action sequences in recent memory. Up there with Transformers 3 in terms of epic big city destruction. Awesome stuff!

Almost all of the visual FX were perfect. Only some ropey green screen at times but that happens in most movies.

The main four gave great performances! I love Chris Evans as Cap, he definitely is perfect casting,

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 96
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 9/5/2012 12:11:33 PM   
st3veebee

I think what was really so amazing about The Avengers (among other things) was just how perfect a summer blockbuster it was. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and had such unabashed fun. If other fimls live up to hype like this did: this could be the best summer of film possibly ever.

Well done Mr. Whedon.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 97
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 9/5/2012 12:23:17 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I think what was really so amazing about The Avengers (among other things) was just how perfect a summer blockbuster it was. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and had such unabashed fun. If other fimls live up to hype like this did: this could be the best summer of film possibly ever.

Well done Mr. Whedon.

I agree but i'd add Battleship and John Carter in there. It's been a great summer so far!

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 98
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 9/5/2012 12:41:20 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

quote:

Well done Mr. Whedon.

I agree but i'd add Battleship and John Carter in there. It's been a great summer so far!

I also quite liked John Carter, it has been so unfairly criticised,  but its not in the same league as Avengers.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 99
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 9/5/2012 12:48:08 PM   
superdan

Yeah, I didn't mind John Carter (though I thought Battleship was weak), but Avengers is miles better than those two. As st3veebee says, a great summer blockbuster.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 100
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 9/5/2012 9:34:34 PM   
Cool Breeze

John Carter is nowhere near as good a movie as Avengers.Although to be fair, my viewing of it was ruined by having to see it in sodding 3D (No normal screenings of it at the cinema i went to).Might give it another chance when it hits dvd.

I was glad that most cinemas gave the option of 3D or not for Avengers where i live and glad i saw it in the normal way (Seriously hollywood,all we want is massive screen and great surround sound and a good film of course!).Wont be seeing Battleship as it just looks like Transformers 4.

The Dark Knight Rises will rule them all this summer though.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 101
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 10/5/2012 8:31:17 AM   
Wyvenetta

I must say I really loved this film, the way Whedon kept building up the tension and then giving us the relief of some really comic moments. I thought all the characters played their part in the film which must be difficult with all those big characters. The final test that it passed with flying colours, was that I left the cinema with a massive smile on my face!

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 102
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 10/5/2012 8:53:51 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Well done Mr. Whedon.

Bloody loved it! Haven't been to a screening where people clap during the film for a long time.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 103
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 10/5/2012 9:29:22 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville
Iron Man has been the funniest for me, where he gets mistaken by Stark for Hugh Hefner.

I also liked the one in Fantastic Four 2 where he isn't permitted to attend the wedding of Reed and Sue and the one in TIH where he drinks the spiced up energy drink.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 104
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 10/5/2012 1:24:30 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville
Iron Man has been the funniest for me, where he gets mistaken by Stark for Hugh Hefner.

I also liked the one in Fantastic Four 2 where he isn't permitted to attend the wedding of Reed and Sue and the one in TIH where he drinks the spiced up energy drink.

I hated that cameo as it made no sense as he played the bloody postman in the first one

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 105
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 10/5/2012 5:31:09 PM   
Vadersville

Actually thinking back I really liked his cameo in Thor too.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 106
RE: Avengers Assemble - 10/5/2012 9:39:20 PM   
fuzzy

Just seen it today. Here's the plus points for me:

1. There was no focus on any one character - every hero had their chance to shine, even Black Widow and Hawkeye had ample screen time. And I can't fault the performances, there wasn't a dud one there IMO.
2. I needn't have worried about Ruffalo's Banner and Hulk, both were great. Ruffalo played him more relaxed than Norton but that kinda made sense as Banner is more in control of the Hulk now. As mentioned before, I liked the chemistry between Banner and Stark - I don't know if that would've come off so well with Norton in the role.
3. The seemingly endless New York showdown was great, I wasn't expecting it to have as much screentime as it did (even though that's what the film was building up to) but I was so glad a decent chunk was devoted to it. Something that's been lacking I think from recent Marvel efforts.
4. Baring one or two dodgyish green screen moments the visuals were excellent.
5. Easily the 2 funniest moments came from Hulk towards the end - genuine laugh out loud moments. I just wish there were a few more of those in the first hour or so.

and not major criticisms, just a few things that niggled:

1. The whole SHIELD base thing with Selvig at the start seemed like a weak opening - I know it ramped up with Loki's intro but was expecting something more explosive for some reason.
2. Would have liked a cameo or 2 by characters that could have appeared in future films, just to sow some seeds if nothing else.
3. Would've also liked some connection to the Hulk film, references to Ross or Blonski maybe. The closest we got was the 'other interest parties' line by Fury I think.
4. If there was a plan to manufacture weapons based on Tesseract tech (I know Fury was resisting the idea) surely the Americans would've developed them long before now. Zola developed stuff from 40's tech within a couple of years and they had both Zola and the Tesseract in their possession, not to mention Stark working on it.
5. As possibly my favourite Marvel film so far, Thor... I felt that the big guy could've had a bit more to do than just twirl his hammer. The big bad was his brother after all.

< Message edited by fuzzy -- 10/5/2012 9:41:41 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 107
RE: Avengers Assemble - 11/5/2012 7:32:22 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy
Would've also liked some connection to the Hulk film, references to Ross or Blonski maybe.

I thought about that, too.
The only post-credit sequence from any of the other films that didn't link into the plot of The Avengers was the one in TIH where Tony Stark walks up to Ross in the bar.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 108
RE: Avengers Assemble - 11/5/2012 8:30:56 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Is that even post credits though? I thought that one took place before the credits roll, making it weirdly different to all the other ones. Please correct me if im wrong!

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 109
RE: Avengers Assemble - 11/5/2012 12:08:15 PM   
grucl

quote:

The big bad was his brother after all.

"He's adopted."

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 110
RE: Avengers Assemble - 11/5/2012 12:11:51 PM   
grucl

quote:

Is that even post credits though? I thought that one took place before the credits roll, making it weirdly different to all the other ones. Please correct me if im wrong!

You're right. It was before the credits. Which is weird becaues the movie ends on a wrong note (i.e. something that doesn't have a connection with what went before). Plus that scene never pays off. Maybe they had a different concept for The Avengers back then with the Hulk as the villains instead of a team member.

Post #: 111
RE: Avengers Assemble - 11/5/2012 12:43:09 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

You're right. It was before the credits. Which is weird becaues the movie ends on a wrong note (i.e. something that doesn't have a connection with what went before). Plus that scene never pays off. Maybe they had a different concept for The Avengers back then with the Hulk as the villains instead of a team member.

If you've seen 'Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant' there is a bit of pay off there. The Security Council wanted SHIELD to get Blonsky in the Avengers initiative, so to avoid that outcome SHIELD sent Stark in as a patsy knowing he'd wind Ross up so much he'd never agree to handing Blonsky over.

You could argue that this storyline was created just to explain that scene in TIH so not have people wondering what the hell it was about. But the proper pay off should have been in one of the feature films, a quick cameo by Ross in IM2 or the Avengers would have been enough.  

< Message edited by fuzzy -- 11/5/2012 12:44:01 PM >

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 112
RE: Avengers Assemble - 11/5/2012 1:25:53 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Aha, interesting. So if we're gonna put together an order to watch the Marvel movies thus far, i think that scene at the end of TIH might make sense if that we're the last movie to watch before The Avengers perhaps? Or not, what do you guys think? I wanna do a big rewatch for when the Blu comes out, the only one i dont own yet is Iron Man.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 113
RE: Avengers Assemble - 11/5/2012 1:54:39 PM   
Shifty Bench

Including the Marvel One Shots (on the Thor and Captain America Blu Rays)

Iron Man
Iron Man 2 (stop before end credits, ignore that post credits scene)
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer
Thor
The Incredible Hulk (stop before the last scene)
The Consultant
Captain America

That should do it, I think

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 11/5/2012 1:56:04 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 114
RE: Avengers Assemble - 11/5/2012 3:14:28 PM   
Vadersville

Yeah that looks about right to me. Of course the end of Iron Man 2 happens at the same time of TIH and Thor. Hence why Coulson leaves mid way through IM2 and you also see new footage of Hulk fighting at the university on the Shield screens when he meets with Fury at the end.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 115
RE: Avengers Assemble - 11/5/2012 3:27:53 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Including the Marvel One Shots (on the Thor and Captain America Blu Rays)

Iron Man
Iron Man 2 (stop before end credits, ignore that post credits scene)
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer
Thor
The Incredible Hulk (stop before the last scene)
The Consultant
Captain America

That should do it, I think

Not film obviously, but I found the Avenger's Prelude comics helped to bridge the films a little and set up some SHIELD and Security Council stuff in the film. There was also an iphone app I downloaded, an interactive comic thing, that explained the mark VII armour and that whole bracelet thing that RDJ sported at the end.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 116
RE: Avengers Assemble - 12/5/2012 10:45:14 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Not film obviously, but I found the Avenger's Prelude comics helped to bridge the films a little and set up some SHIELD and Security Council stuff in the film. There was also an iphone app I downloaded, an interactive comic thing, that explained the mark VII armour and that whole bracelet thing that RDJ sported at the end.

Are they an online thing?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 117
RE: Avengers Assemble - 12/5/2012 4:44:02 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

quote:

Are they an online thing?

You can download them through the Marvel app on a smartphone/tablet, or straight from the marvel site I think. The app is free and so is issue 1. There's 8 issues in total.

The other Ironman MarkVII armour app on the other hand is a bit of cheesy fun, but it's free and does give an explanation to the bracelets and new armour.

< Message edited by fuzzy -- 12/5/2012 9:00:46 PM >

Post #: 118
RE: Avengers Assemble - 13/5/2012 12:14:42 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Ah right. I don't have the tech for stuff like that

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 119
RE: Avengers Assemble - 13/5/2012 12:52:12 AM   
fuzzy

quote:

Ah right. I don't have the tech for stuff like that

The paperback collecting the full set is out next week I think. There's also 'The Road to the Avengers' that collects all the in-continuity comics released around the other films. A Black Widow title out soon too that bridges the gap between IM2 and Avengers.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Avengers (2012) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI