Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Avengers (2012)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Avengers (2012) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 6:39:34 AM   
Dirk Miggler

Loved it and I was hugely sceptical they could pull it off after Marvels previous efforts. Yes the story was a bit thin but who cares, great story isn't why we went to see the Avengers. This film was filled with one great moment after another, character interplay, action and is hilarious in parts. The exact opposite to TDR and probably all the better for it.

I disagree with the sentiments of Cap falling out of the picture and Hawkeye being underused I was very suprised how well Whedon integrated them and Black Widow in to the story and more importantly the action. Them being the weaker links in the Avengers chain I feared they may be left by the wayside but every character is expertly handled and each given their moment to shine.

No doubt Hulk steals the show, I loved it when after him and Thor team up he just smacks him aside, great moment. This is easily the best incarnation of Hulk yet so there's a good chance another Hulk film may be green lit after his showing in this.

I'm now looking forward to the standalone films more even Cap 2.

Has the Villain in the Credits been confirmed yet ? a lot of people in the cinema were saying Red Skull which I thought was a bit crazy !

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 1/5/2012 6:46:55 AM >

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 31
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 8:28:34 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manosteal

*spoiling tags*

not only have you guys spoilered the movie you even gave away the post credit scenes

Dude that's the second time you've complained about spoilers in this thread. We're in Favourite Films, a place to discuss our favourite films -including spoilers - so why do you continue to read it if you haven't seen the film and you know there are going to be spoilers?
Post #: 32
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 12:54:50 PM   
st3veebee

Am I the only one who really didn't think the Hulk hitting Loki/Thor was funny in the slightest? Tom and Jerry humour is slightly out of place....

Of course 99% of the cinema's sides' split.

Thors "He's adopted" line was far and away the funniest part. Downey Jr's constant mumble jokes grated on me a little.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 33
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 12:56:51 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manosteal

*spoiling tags*

not only have you guys spoilered the movie you even gave away the post credit scenes

Are you taking the piss?
Post #: 34
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 1:58:37 PM   
themightyhutch

Not going to bother with the film review section because it's mostly people want to write proper reviews but I BLOODY LOVED IT! Honestly every single minute of it. The 2 hours absolutely flew by; it was funny, action packed and really did justice to all of the characters.

Despite the fact that Manosteal knows everything about the film anyway I will write SPOILERS.

Does Coulson really die? It was a really sad moment but it was sort of suggested that he wasn't actually dead and it was used as an excuse to get everyone together. I'm clutching at straws here because he was certainly my favourite character in this/the entire expanded universe.

Also liked how it seems like Ruffalo will be a part of Iron Man 3, it was sort of alluded to a number of times during the film, and at the end he just drives off with Stark so here's hoping we get to see a lot more of him.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 35
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 2:04:16 PM   
superdan

SPOILERS FOR THE DUMMIES

quote:

ORIGINAL: themightyhutch
Does Coulson really die? It was a really sad moment but it was sort of suggested that he wasn't actually dead and it was used as an excuse to get everyone together. I'm clutching at straws here because he was certainly my favourite character in this/the entire expanded universe.

I was the same, but I think he's gone for good I wonder if Cobie Smulders' character is going to replace his role in the EU films.

quote:

Also liked how it seems like Ruffalo will be a part of Iron Man 3, it was sort of alluded to a number of times during the film, and at the end he just drives off with Stark so here's hoping we get to see a lot more of him.

I really liked the relationship between Stark and Banner, respectful at first and by the end they seemed to be quite fond of one another (Stark asking if Banner was there during the battle and then "Tell him to suit up").

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 36
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 2:30:13 PM   
themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

SPOILERS FOR THE DUMMIES

quote:

ORIGINAL: themightyhutch

I was the same, but I think he's gone for good I wonder if Cobie Smulders' character is going to replace his role in the EU films.

See with the line that Coulson had his Captain America cards in his locker I held out some hope that he's still rocking about in the medical wing. Although more Cobie Smulders certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 37
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 3:13:41 PM   
TheFuzz_1989

Great film, most fun I've had at the cinema in a while, lots of laughs and some superb action, the final showdown in NY being the obvious highlight, which was very smartly laid-out and brilliantly executed, every hero getting their moment to shine. I can't imagine how hard it would have been to plan it all out, but Whedon and co. certainly were up to the task.

The humour ranged from smart quips (the majority coming from Stark), to the sadly childish situational humour, eg "Oh, that's what it does" , but I guess they had to cater to everyone in that respect. The bits that had me in stitches were Stark's imitation and descriptions of Thor, and especially Hulk's rather belligerent interrupting of Loki's monologue.

The fact that it doesnt take itself too seriously and takes full advantage of the characters' comedic and action potential makes for a thoroughly enjoyable romp.

Also, can anyone attest to wether the 3D is in any capacity worth it? Didn't bother the first time in case it was crap, but i will definitely be seeing this again so may dabble.

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 38
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 3:25:12 PM   
rubadub

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Am I the only one who really didn't think the Hulk hitting Loki/Thor was funny in the slightest?Tom and Jerry humour is slightly out of place....

Thors "He's adopted" line was far and away the funniest part. Downey Jr's constant mumble jokes grated on me a little.

Yeah,you're the only one.

< Message edited by rubadub -- 1/5/2012 5:29:00 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 39
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 4:35:13 PM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheFuzz_1989

Great film, most fun I've had at the cinema in a while, lots of laughs and some superb action, the final showdown in NY being the obvious highlight, which was very smartly laid-out and brilliantly executed, every hero getting their moment to shine. I can't imagine how hard it would have been to plan it all out, but Whedon and co. certainly were up to the task.

The humour ranged from smart quips (the majority coming from Stark), to the sadly childish situational humour, eg "Oh, that's what it does" , but I guess they had to cater to everyone in that respect. The bits that had me in stitches were Stark's imitation and descriptions of Thor, and especially Hulk's rather belligerent interrupting of Loki's monologue.

The fact that it doesnt take itself too seriously and takes full advantage of the characters' comedic and action potential makes for a thoroughly enjoyable romp.

Also, can anyone attest to wether the 3D is in any capacity worth it? Didn't bother the first time in case it was crap, but i will definitely be seeing this again so may dabble.

I have to say that with the exception of Avatar and Titanic, I've found 3D to be pretty useless. I was skeptical about seeing this in 3D for that reason, but I think to worked brilliantly. Some of it was subtle, some of it spectacular. But unlike previous film such as Tron Legacy or Star Wars Ep1, I didn't have to concentrate on seeking out the 3D elements only to be disappointed when I saw nothing. The 3D in The Avengers seemed very natural and very cool

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 40
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 4:55:45 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

quote:

I have to say that with the exception of Avatar and Titanic, I've found 3D to be pretty useless. I was skeptical about seeing this in 3D for that reason, but I think to worked brilliantly. Some of it was subtle, some of it spectacular. But unlike previous film such as Tron Legacy or Star Wars Ep1, I didn't have to concentrate on seeking out the 3D elements only to be disappointed when I saw nothing. The 3D in The Avengers seemed very natural and very cool

I struggled with the 3D in this. The bit where that big dragon thing emerges from the portal made me go cross-eyed, my eyes literally couldn't focus on anything and it was a bit uncomfortable, and there were one or two other moments like that. The darkness thing was a real hindrance in a couple of scenes too. I'd recommend sticking with the 2D tbh.

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 41
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 5:09:35 PM   
darthbane

quote:

quote:

quote:

I struggled with the 3D in this. The bit where that big dragon thing emerges from the portal made me go cross-eyed, my eyes literally couldn't focus on anything and it was a bit uncomfortable, and there were one or two other moments like that. The darkness thing was a real hindrance in a couple of scenes too. I'd recommend sticking with the 2D tbh.

Really? I honestly found this shot to be the most impressive bit of 3D

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 42
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 5:36:45 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really? I honestly found this shot to be the most impressive bit of 3D

It was the shot from behind when it's just emerged, it really threw my eyes. Made me a little dizzy.

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 43
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 9:01:43 PM   
Ref

I agree with SuperDan, go with the 2D version. Some of the things worked quite well, mainly Loki's Sceptre (I promise not Freudian) and Stark's computer. But some items that they chose to emphasise just didn't work at all.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 44
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 9:31:16 PM   
Dirk Miggler

3D was shit !

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 45
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 10:08:47 PM   
Vadersville

I'm wondering if the 3D varies place to place because the 3D I saw was fantastic. I struggled to believe it was a post conversion job! A mate in work saw it on Thursday at Showcase and said it was too dark and loads of the shots were out of focus. I told him it was fine both times I saw it in Cineworld so he went to see it there yesterday and said it looked great!

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 1/5/2012 10:09:24 PM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 46
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 10:58:17 PM   
Max Renn

quote:

ORIGINAL: rubadub

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Am I the only one who really didn't think the Hulk hitting Loki/Thor was funny in the slightest?Tom and Jerry humour is slightly out of place....

Yeah,you're the only one.

Of course 99% of the cinema were wrong and have a childish sense of humour,whereas st3veebee is far too highbrow and belongs in the 1% of the cinema with no sense of humour whatsoever.

" TAKE THE FUCKING ELEPHANT !!! "

"IT'S ALRIGHT ANDY!IT'S JUST BOLOGNESE!"

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 47
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 11:05:16 PM   
Shifty Bench

Fuck spoiler tags, we can spoil all we want here, I'm not changing how we write in 'Favourite Films' now.

Anyone else think Thor is a bit of a cock? He knew Loki was a hologram yet didn't warn Agent Coulson.....

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Max Renn)
Post #: 48
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 11:18:23 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Anyone else think Thor is a bit of a cock? He knew Loki was a hologram yet didn't warn Agent Coulson.....

I don't think he did know. Once Thor was captured the hologram disappeared, so it looks like it's the real Loki left behind. Coulson hadn't even arrived at that point either.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 49
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 1/5/2012 11:37:12 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Fuck spoiler tags, we can spoil all we want here, I'm not changing how we write in 'Favourite Films' now.

Yeah I don't think he knew that Loki was still a hologram personally. The Loki hologram disappeared when Thor got trapped, he had no reason to think the Loki he was talking to was also a hologram.

Just seen it, absolutely loved it. Can't wait to see it again.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 50
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 12:43:03 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

3D was shit !

Have to agree with the majority here. The 3D wasn't worth the extra price and added nothing to the film except increased darkness, blurring and distraction. I'm going to see this again in 2D just so I can see the full film without any crap in the way.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 51
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 2:09:15 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

3D was shit !

Have to agree with the majority here. The 3D wasn't worth the extra price and added nothing to the film except increased darkness, blurring and distraction. I'm going to see this again in 2D just so I can see the full film without any crap in the way.

Bollocks. You're going to see his in 2D because you pissed off and watched it without me.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 52
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 6:13:14 AM   
Dirk Miggler

I really liked the scene after Coulsons death between Cap and Iron Man, Stark having never had to accept a casualty of war before, thought Evans was really good in that scene, the entire movie even, I enjoyed the character a lot more in this film.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 53
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 10:49:17 AM   
Vadersville

Rogers - "Is this the first time you've lost a soldier?"

Stark - "We are not soldiers!"

Yeah, that was a great scene. Anyone who maintains that Evans was anything less than perfect casting for Caps after that needs a slap across the face with a big, wet fish.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 54
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 1:00:59 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Yeah I don't think he knew that Loki was still a hologram personally. The Loki hologram disappeared when Thor got trapped, he had no reason to think the Loki he was talking to was also a hologram.

Well, you had the benefit of just seeing it

I thought it happened at the same time- Thor discovers Loki's a hologram, Coulson appears and then he kicks the proverbial. I need to see this film again

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 55
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 1:15:31 PM   
Hood_Man

*clink*

*clink*

"This usually works..."

Post #: 56
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 1:19:05 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, you had the benefit of just seeing it

True

quote:

I thought it happened at the same time- Thor discovers Loki's a hologram, Coulson appears and then he kicks the proverbial.

There's a few minutes of dialogue between Loki and Thor between the Loki hologram disappearing and Coulson arriving. We as the audience aren't even meant to know that the Loki Coulson is talking to is a hologram.

quote:

I need to see this film again

Me too. Going again this weekend I hope

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 57
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 1:59:34 PM   
superdan

"Are you an alien?"
"No"
"Well, son, you've got a condition"

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 58
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 2:05:28 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Brilliant.

**SPOILERS** obviously but if you're reading this thread before seeing the film you deserve to have it spoiled.

I was genuinely surprised at how funny the film was. Hulk's sucker punch had me giggling like a loon as did his rag dolling of Loki and his resucitation of Stark.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 59
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 2/5/2012 2:11:47 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

I don't think he did know. Once Thor was captured the hologram disappeared, so it looks like it's the real Loki left behind. Coulson hadn't even arrived at that point either.

quote:

There's a few minutes of dialogue between Loki and Thor between the Loki hologram disappearing and Coulson arriving. We as the audience aren't even meant to know that the Loki Coulson is talking to is a hologram.

I did know, though

(I thought it was the hologram reappering rather than the real Loki, they didn't fool me, no sir.)

quote:

Going again this weekend I hope

I was planning on seeing Safe next week but I may just see The Avengers again instead

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 2/5/2012 2:26:23 PM >

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Avengers (2012) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI