Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The King of Fighters (2010)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The King of Fighters (2010) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The King of Fighters (2010) - 28/4/2012 5:40:25 AM   
Phubbs

You can't expect this to be really closely based on the popular SNK fighter as we all know how these type of films fare and this is no different frankly.

With a small selection of characters from the game and an overly convoluted plot this film feels way too bogged down with mindless dialog and not much fighting. Game franchises like this tend to have rather silly overblown stories behind their characters which tend not to make much sense or have any proper continuity, I give you 'Street Fighter'. This film is a let down as the creators have tried to encompass as much back story as possible but all that ends up doing is boring and confusing you with endless Japanese sounding names, places and objects which mean nothing unless you are a fanboy.

The fighting is pretty limp really and that's the killer blow, Ray Park growls and snarls his way through the film as the main bad guy and to be honest he looks the part..but that's it. The rest of the cast are nobodies accept for the overrated Maggie Q and there isn't really anything of interest to comment on.

Unoriginal fights, dull costumes, uninspired effects (what little there was) and some bad looking sets all make this a poor waste of your time. Its not horrific as was 'Street Fighter', much better than 'Double Dragon' (not hard) but nowhere near as fun as 'MK' and even 'Tekken' had some reasonably fun fights with the pretty boy cheese meister Luke Goss. Main problem here is they tried to make it way too seriously and it just doesn't work basically.
Post #: 1
RE: The King of Fighters (2010) - 2/5/2012 5:32:57 PM   
Kuato_Lives

Here's my review :-

The plot of The King of Fighters is fairly simple. Rugal (Ray Park) steals some relics from a museum which opens up a portal to another dimension. He manages to take control of an entity called Orochi which gives him special powers. Mai (Maggie Q) along with others must go into the other dimension and stop Rugal before he merges it with our normal dimension and take over the world.

This film is terrible, it really is. I can hear King of Fighters fans everywhere unleashing screams and tears over how bad there game franchise has been adapted on the screen. The quality of this film is that of an episode of a 90s TV show such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Xena Warrior Princess.

The acting in this is awful but not the funny kind of awful which makes films entertaining to watch but bad kind of awful. The first hour of the film is enough to send anyone to sleep, it plays out like a badly acted drama and is so much of a chore to watch but it does pick up a little bit towards the end with a lot of fighting.

The action in this film which consists solely of fighting isnít good at all. It was filmed with quick cuts and the camera angle was always slanted for the most part. It was very non violent too, again resembling that of a 90s TV show. There are about 3 or 4 fight scenes during the first hour and then the last half hour is pretty much full of it. There isnít any bloodshed or anything brutal and the characters faces remain exactly the same with no injuries or bruises at all which is unrealistic considering many of them get punched and kicked in the face numerous times and their looks remain fresh as a daisy.

The CGI was also poor in this film although it did have some moments which I thought looked pretty cool such as Ray Parksí leg being covered in CGI fire when he delivered a kick to one of the characters but apart from that the rest was 90s TV show quality.

If this film was released in the late 90s more specifically 1996-1998 as a straight to video movie then I think the film makers could have got away with this as it looks like it came straight out of that period. But unfortunately for them itís 2010 and this quality simple doesnít cut it on a new release in this day and age.

Possibly one of the worst movie conversions of a video game ever made and it scores 3.5/10

Baby, you make me wish I had three hands.

Twitter: @Kuato_lives

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The King of Fighters (2010) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI