Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 10/10/2012 7:40:06 AM   
matty_b

Halloween is a masterpiece.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 91
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 12:13:19 PM   
MonsterCat

No. 6 - The Thing (John Carpenter; 1982)

In the summer of 1982, Universal Pictures, in their infinite wisdom, released two alien flicks within days of each other: Steven Spielberg's slushy, craptacular ET, and John Carpenter's chilling, nihilistic and utterly badass monster mash, The Thing. For some reason Spielberg's wimpy alien won the box office, while Carpenter's shape-shifting monster was cast into the snowy wilderness by cinemagoers. A shame, but then again Carpenter's best films have always been dealt a shitty hand only for them to gain the recognition they deserve later on in life.

The Thing is pretty much flawless. Here, Carpenter masterfully turns up the fear over a deliberate slow-burn pace, allowing us to get to know MacReady and his motley research station crew as the shape-shifter slowly insinuates itself into their environment and then their bodies. The mutations that happen when the creature inhabits their bodies is spectacularly realized by Rob Bottin through his stunning prosthetic and animatronics work. The Thing remake prequel may have had slick CGI at its disposal, but no amount of computer jiggery-pokery can match up to Bottin's grosteque and spectacular handy-work.

Acting wise, Kurt Russell is his typically fantastic self as RJ MacReady: the hero of the piece whose cool and in-control demeanor starts to slowly crumble away as he faces a foe he cannot completely understand. Russell also receives sterling support from the likes of Keith David, Donald Moffat, Joel Polis and Wilford Brimley. Each actor perfectly conveys a sense of hysteria and paranoia as the gore flies and the chests burst open.

The Thing is arguably Carpenter's best work, and still holds up today as a masterclass in horror film-making . ET, however, can fuck right off.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 16/10/2012 12:40:46 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 92
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 1:48:12 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
ET, however, can fuck right off.

Someone needs a hug

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 93
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 2:00:23 PM   
Olaf

The Thing is a magnificent movie, but I really think you're doing the film's philosophical outlook a serious disservice by describing it as 'nihilistic'. The whole film is informed by a concept of 'humanity' that you wouldn't get from a belief system that's predicated on not believing in anything. If anything, it articulates the inherent horror of becoming alienated from an idea of humanity (literally and figuratively - the setting also reinforces this), when said alienation could be perceived as nihilistic in some respects. There's a lot of similarities to Blade Runner (that was a good year) in that they both raise a lot of questions about what actually is 'human', but I don't think such a discussion requires a discarding of conventional notions of humanity (as nihilism arguably does). If anything, it *requires* a personal belief in what could constitute humanity (an ability to feel fear? empathy?), along with a willingness to allow that belief to be questioned, in order to have such a discussion in the first place. There's a subtle distinction there to prevent it being inherently nihilistic, imo.

Plus, the ending (one of my favourite scenes of all time) may be bleak, but it's ultimately the disposal of hostility and paranoia between MacReady and Childs. Without wanting to put too positive a slant on an obviously quite dark ending, there's a shared realisation that they need human contact after spending the entire movie being menaced by what is, in many ways, a literal depiction of the process of alienation (hur hur alien) that follows on from a nihilistic worldview. Of course, if one has a more optimistic perspective of nihilism as a philosophy (the whole 'god is dead' scenario where humankind is free to live its own way without conventional morality could be perceived as a good thing, though I'd argue for a middle ground between 'moral convention' and moral relativism), I could be way off the mark.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 94
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 2:36:35 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

The Thing is a magnificent movie, but I really think you're doing the film's philosophical outlook a serious disservice by describing it as 'nihilistic'. The whole film is informed by a concept of 'humanity' that you wouldn't get from a belief system that's predicated on not believing in anything. If anything, it articulates the inherent horror of becoming alienated from an idea of humanity (literally and figuratively - the setting also reinforces this), when said alienation could be perceived as nihilistic in some respects. There's a lot of similarities to Blade Runner (that was a good year) in that they both raise a lot of questions about what actually is 'human', but I don't think such a discussion requires a discarding of conventional notions of humanity (as nihilism arguably does). If anything, it *requires* a personal belief in what could constitute humanity (an ability to feel fear? empathy?), along with a willingness to allow that belief to be questioned, in order to have such a discussion in the first place. There's a subtle distinction there to prevent it being inherently nihilistic, imo.

Plus, the ending (one of my favourite scenes of all time) may be bleak, but it's ultimately the disposal of hostility and paranoia between MacReady and Childs. Without wanting to put too positive a slant on an obviously quite dark ending, there's a shared realisation that they need human contact after spending the entire movie being menaced by what is, in many ways, a literal depiction of the process of alienation (hur hur alien) that follows on from a nihilistic worldview. Of course, if one has a more optimistic perspective of nihilism as a philosophy (the whole 'god is dead' scenario where humankind is free to live its own way without conventional morality could be perceived as a good thing, though I'd argue for a middle ground between 'moral convention' and moral relativism), I could be way off the mark.

Yep. Yep, I understood everything you just said there.*

*lol no I didn't. I'm a big silly head.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 16/10/2012 2:37:18 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 95
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 3:34:48 PM   
directorscut

Gotta love the sheer bitter jealously of The Thing and Blade Runner fans when they blame E.T. for their films lack of success at the box office.

Firstly, E.T. was released weeks before The Thing not days (although technically true I suppose). Secondly, E.T. never had a $200 million weekend that completely consumed the box office. Plenty of competing films flourished under E.T.'s reign at the box office. You might as well blame Star Trek II as well. Thirdly, E.T. is much better than The Thing. Fourthly, yeah I like The Thing, it's pretty good but I prefer the original.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 96
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 3:42:31 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Gotta love the sheer bitter jealously of The Thing and Blade Runner fans when they blame E.T. for their films lack of success at the box office.

Firstly, E.T. was released weeks before The Thing not days (although technically true I suppose). Secondly, E.T. never had a $200 million weekend that completely consumed the box office. Plenty of competing films flourished under E.T.'s reign at the box office. You might as well blame Star Trek II as well. Thirdly, E.T. is much better than The Thing. Fourthly, yeah I like The Thing, it's pretty good but I prefer the original.

Lol, no.

I'd rather play the classic Atari 2600 tie-in than watch the film again .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 97
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 3:44:40 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Lol, no.

I'd rather play the classic Atari 2600 tie-in than watch the film again .

Sounds like your film taste is as broken as that game.

Bam!

Blasted Harry's film taste.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 98
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 3:44:45 PM   
MonsterCat

I suppose in a video game you can kill ET over and over again.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 99
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 3:53:41 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

No, I'm not bitter about it at all. To be perfectly honest, the grosses of ET and The Thing are such non-points and don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I don't why I bothered bringing it up in my write-up, but I did, and there you go.

But The Thing is clearly the better film.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 16/10/2012 3:54:41 PM >

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 100
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 4:10:16 PM   
Deviation

You guys speak as if the very violent horror-scifi and a somewhat abstract and athmospheric film noir had a chance agaisnt a Spielberg film, or had any chance at all for doing big at the BO.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 101
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 6:50:28 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

You guys speak as if the very violent horror-scifi and a somewhat abstract and athmospheric film noir had a chance agaisnt a Spielberg film, or had any chance at all for doing big at the BO.

Yeah, I never understood why they were sort of pitted against each other that way. (I absolutely love E.T. as well, by the way.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 102
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 9:52:23 PM   
matty_b

The Thing is amazing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 103
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 16/10/2012 11:59:25 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I guess I'm that rare breed of person that loves The Thing, E.T. and Blade Runner all at once

Edit: Although I haven't seen E.T. in about 12 years so god knows what a rewatch might do to my opinion

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 17/10/2012 12:04:39 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 104
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 17/10/2012 1:08:27 AM   
rawlinson

Not a fan of ET. Although Spielberg did wisely include scenes from The Quiet Man to remind us that there are far worse films out there. The Thing is excellent.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 105
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 17/10/2012 7:23:25 AM   
Rebel scum

The Thing is great, E.T I saw once. It was alright.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 106
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 22/10/2012 1:57:27 PM   
MonsterCat

No. 5 - Alien (Ridley Scott; 1979)

Alien is one of the precious few film that retains the ability to unnerve even after multiple viewings. The film that put Ridley Scott firmly on the map is a gracefully composed, atmospheric, and outright terrifying amalgamation of science fiction and sheer horror. Aliens was a tense and exciting action flick, and Alien 3 was a grim and compelling watch, but Scott's original vision of alien horror stands head and shoulders above them.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 107
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 22/10/2012 2:00:11 PM   
MovieAddict247

Alien is amazing.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 108
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 22/10/2012 2:00:50 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Alien is amazing.

This.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 109
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 25/10/2012 12:53:44 AM   
MonsterCat

No. 4 - Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (David Lynch; 1992)

Coming almost a year before Twin Peaks the TV show finished for good, David Lynch released his feature length prequel, in which he charted the final seven days of murdered prom queen Laura Palmer. Unfortunately, the film was met with near universal disdain by the critics during its initial release in 1992 and died a quick death at the box office. However, time has been kind to Lynch's sorely underrated film, with critics like Mark Kermode declaring FWWM as Lynch's masterpiece. In all honesty it's hard for me to disagree with the good doctor on that one. FWWM is, in my mind, Lynch's best film to date. An almost flawless, intoxicating and seriously disturbing horror film. A fine example of the genre seen through Lynch's warped prism.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 25/10/2012 12:54:29 AM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 110
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 25/10/2012 2:08:20 AM   
directorscut

Fire Walk with Me is one of the most relentlessly unnerving films I've ever seen. It's a miracle Lynch was able to pull off such a beautiful and moving ending after all that.

Also when I watched it for the first time a mouse found its way onto my rear speakers. No joke.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 111
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 25/10/2012 2:38:21 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Fire Walk with Me is one of the most relentlessly unnerving films I've ever seen. It's a miracle Lynch was able to pull off such a beautiful and moving ending after all that.

^ This.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 112
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 25/10/2012 6:33:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Alien is fantastic, I need to see Twin Peaks again.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 113
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 25/10/2012 11:30:57 PM   
rawlinson

Alien I have a lot more time for than I used to. Twin Peaks is fantastic.

Post #: 114
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI