Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 2:00:17 AM   
MonsterCat

No. 11 - Se7en (David Fincher; 1994)

David Fincher bounced back from his horrible experiences of working on Alien 3 with this dark (both visually and thematically) film about two mismatched detectives hunting a holier than thou killer, who is killing people whom he believes are guilty of committing the seven deadly sins.

Much like Texas Chainsaw, Se7en is shocking without actually showing the murders being committed. We only really see the aftermath of the killer's atrocities as Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman probe and investigate the grisly scenes of murder the killer has left in his wake.

It's a sombre, brooding, smart, nihilistic and nasty little piece of work from Fincher, and no matter how many you've seen it that ending still leaves you feeling like you've just had the wind knocked out of you. Fincher's best film? Undoubtedly.

Scariest moment: The sloth victim wakes up.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 8/10/2012 2:46:56 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 61
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 2:30:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yep, Fincher's best for me too. I have a hard time thinking of it as a horror film though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 62
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 7:36:11 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

It's a sombre, brooding, smart, nihilistic and nasty little piece of work from Finch
er, and no matter how many you've seen it that ending still leaves you feeling like you've just had the wind knocked out of you. Fincher's best film? Undoubtedly.

I agree with the bit in bold, which is why I think the film is great - but not the rest of that.

It's still my third favourite Fincher (of the 4 I've seen) though - the gap between it and my fourth/least favourite is pretty big though, so that's not a bad thing.

< Message edited by MovieAddict247 -- 8/10/2012 7:37:06 AM >

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 63
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 7:50:12 AM   
Rebel scum

My Little Eye was odd, it got the buildup so right, and then once people started dying it just got boring.

Suspiria's alright

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is brilliant

American Werewolf is amazeballs

Se7en!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 64
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 7:54:35 AM   
matty_b

My Little Eye is rubbish.

Great choices for the rest. Se7en is still one of my favourite films of all time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 65
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 12:30:33 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

How dare you, sir.

Thanks for your feedback, folkies. Again, sorry to Rawlinson about The Descent, but you're wrong about that flick, sir.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 66
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 12:53:56 PM   
rawlinson

Some amazing films in that batch. Tell you what, I'll give The Descent another try this month.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 67
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 1:08:49 PM   
impqueen

Audition is excellent.

The opening of Ghostbusters is scary and brilliant and the film is grand.

Wolf Creek is okay; my mother is a big fan of it…

Switchblade Romance was entertaining but the ending really pisses me off.

Event Horizon is fun, it isn't brilliant but it is the best thing Paul WS Anderson has directed.

Nightmare on Elm Street is grand but I really love Dream Warriors.

The Mist was much better than I thought it was going to be.

The Descent - I like it, if only for the axe in the leg moment.

My Little Eye is good.

Suspiria is superb, as is Texas Chainsaw and Werewolf.

Seven is okay but not a film I love.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 68
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 1:14:03 PM   
MonsterCat

No. 10 - The Shining (Stanley Kubrick; 1980)

Jack Nicholson is the struggling author who starts to lose his mother-loving mind in the deserted, snowed-in hotel he is assigned to look after. Shelley Duvall plays his terrified wife, while Danny Lloyd essays the role of Nicholson and Duvall's psychic son who suffers horrific visions of bloody violence within the hotel.

The Shining is Kubrick's more commercially minded flick, but it is still pure Kubrick through and through. The shots are beautifully and meticulously composed, it moves at a deliberate slow-burn pace and it absolutely refuses to hold the audience's hand by clearly explaining what exactly the fuck is going on in the Overlook hotel. I mean, what the hell is Jack doing in that painting? Who the hell knows, but that's the beauty of the film: there's so much about it to analyse, discuss and chew on.

It also helps that the film is truly bloody scary. Here, Kubrick manages to make the seemingly innocuous Overlook a character in its own right. It's a deeply, deeply scary place and you really wouldn't to stay there.

And then there's Jack Nicholson's performance. OK, sure, it is pretty hammy at time, and his now famous "Heeeeeere's Johnny" line provokes giggles rather than gasps of horror, but its the quieter moments of his performance in which Nicholson truly excels. Indeed, there are moments when Nicholson is just a little bit too convincing as man who is starting to come apart at the seams.

Shelley Duvall is also pretty sterling as his suffering wife. Unfairly criticized for being the wrong kind of annoying, Duvalll's performance is actually quite a brave one. She's unafraid to make Wendy Torrance a slightly irritating character, but as the film progresses Duvall expertly turns up her fearful state and manages to engage with the audience as she desperately tries to save her son from the clutches of Jack and the hotel.

I heard that Stephen King expressed some dissatisfaction with Kubrick's interpretation of his novel, but what the hell does he know? He made Maximum Overdrive. The Shining is a truly great film.

Scariest moment: All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 8/10/2012 2:45:58 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 69
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 1:17:31 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Switchblade Romance was entertaining but the ending really pisses me off.

Yes, it doesn't make total sense in the grand scheme of things, but it's still a fun and really quite crazy film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Tell you what, I'll give The Descent another try this month.

: )

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 70
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 2:19:53 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

How dare you, sir.

Thanks for your feedback, folkies. Again, sorry to Rawlinson about The Descent, but you're wrong about that flick, sir.

It's so rubbish not even you voted for it in the HOF.

The Shining's great.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 71
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 2:26:44 PM   
MonsterCat

No. 9 - The Blair Witch Project (Sanchez & Myrick; 1999)

I remember when I first heard about Blair Witch in the summer of 99. As a life-long horror fan, the notion of this low budget film that looks for all intents and purposes like the discovered footage of a presumably dead film crew struck a chord with me. And while the film didn't exactly live up to the SCARIEST FILM EVAH hype that it generated during its massively successful stateside cinema release, Blair Witch is still a seriously creepy piece of work.

Cloverfield and the Paranormal Activity franchise may have garnered more commercial success with the now very much in vogue found footage narrative format, but Blair Witch stands head and shoulders above them, with its expert editing, all too convincing rough around the edges aesthetic and a trio of naturalistic performances from Heather Donahue, Josh Leonard and Mike Williams.

Scariest moment: When the film crew hear children crying and their tent is attacked.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 8/10/2012 2:49:48 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 72
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 2:28:15 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

It's so rubbish not even you voted for it in the HOF.

I'm never going to live this down, am I?

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 73
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 2:29:20 PM   
matty_b

Nope.

BWP is an incredible piece of work, still terrifies me to the day.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 74
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 3:57:37 PM   
Rebel scum

Two of my favourite horrors there.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 75
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 4:12:28 PM   
vad3r

BWP is one of the few films to frighten me.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 76
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 6:00:41 PM   
MonsterCat

I like that gif.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 77
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 6:43:21 PM   
vad3r

quote:

I like that gif.

Is it the eye or nose liquid that does it for you?

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 78
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 8:34:33 PM   
evil bill

quote:

No. 10 - The Shining (Stanley Kubrick; 1980)

Jack Nicholson is the struggling author who starts to lose his mother-loving mind in the deserted, snowed-in hotel he is assigned to look after. Shelley Duvall plays his terrified wife, while Danny Lloyd essays the role of Nicholson and Duvall's psychic son who suffers horrific visions of bloody violence within the hotel.

The Shining is Kubrick's more commercially minded flick, but it is still pure Kubrick through and through. The shots are beautifully and meticulously composed, it moves at a deliberate slow-burn pace and it absolutely refuses to hold the audience's hand by clearly explaining what exactly the fuck is going on in the Overlook hotel. I mean, what the hell is Jack doing in that painting? Who the hell knows, but that's the beauty of the film: there's so much about it to analyse, discuss and chew on.

It also helps that the film is truly bloody scary. Here, Kubrick manages to make the seemingly innocuous Overlook a character in its own right. It's a deeply, deeply scary place and you really wouldn't to stay there.

And then there's Jack Nicholson's performance. OK, sure, it is pretty hammy at time, and his now famous "Heeeeeere's Johnny" line provokes giggles rather than gasps of horror, but its the quieter moments of his performance in which Nicholson truly excels. Indeed, there are moments when Nicholson is just a little bit too convincing as man who is starting to come apart at the seams.

Shelley Duvall is also pretty sterling as his suffering wife. Unfairly criticized for being the wrong kind of annoying, Duvalll's performance is actually quite a brave one. She's unafraid to make Wendy Torrance a slightly irritating character, but as the film progresses Duvall expertly turns up her fearful state and manages to engage with the audience as she desperately tries to save her son from the clutches of Jack and the hotel.

I heard that Stephen King expressed some dissatisfaction with Kubrick's interpretation of his novel, but what the hell does he know? He made Maximum Overdrive. The Shining is a truly great film.

Scariest moment: All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

At last the top ten,and maybe you'll finish it for Halloween ,anyway still a great list,i thought you'd forgotten all about it.King never liked what Kubrick did with his book,yet for most of his fans,this is one of the best,though i still feel Dead Zone was on the money book wise.But The Shining was by far the most scary/chilling  of his books turned to film,and that's because for me it captures the sprit of the book so well.
quote:

No. 9 - The Blair Witch Project (Sanchez & Myrick; 1999)

I must be one of the only people who this did'nt work for,IE SCARE!!!saying that i did enjoy it as it was the first of it's kind'and had a good build up just did'nt deliver for me.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 79
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 8/10/2012 10:01:43 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Shining sucks. BWP is brilliant. I might scare myself silly again and watch it this Halloween at 3 in the morning.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 80
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 9/10/2012 1:48:11 AM   
MonsterCat

No. 8 - Kill List (Ben Wheatley; 2011)

Neil Maskell simmers with barely pent-up menace and violence as Jay, a hit-man who is still suffering from the mental scars of a disastrous mission which took place in Kiev. Michael Smiley is Gal, his sardonic, laid back friend and partner in the grubby contract killing business. Urged back into work by Gal and his long suffering wife, Jay agrees to join Gal in performing a series of hits for a man simply known as The Client. But as the film progresses, it becomes increasingly apparent that things are not as they seem. For starters, why are the people on The Client's kill list thanking Jay and Gal before the hitmen brutally kill them? And what's up with Gal's girlfriend carving a weird pagan like symbol behind a mirror in Jay's bathroom. Clearly nothing good will come of any of this.

The second feature from Down Terrace director Ben Wheatley is an oppressively tense, shockingly violent and insidious horror tale. And yet, despite all these things, it's a film that grips you firmly from the start and refuses to let go until the end. Fuck, the film even manages to be a tense and uncomfortable watch when the viewer is faced with scenes of marital disharmony between Jay and his wife Shel (MyAnna Buring). Apparently, these scenes were based on Wheatley's own marriage to the script's co-writer, Amy Jump. If this is true remind me to never accept a dinner party invitation to the Wheatley household.

Kill List is a dark, twisted and genuinely nasty piece of work. It's also one of the best horror films of the last few years, and one of 2011's best films

Scariest moment: Jay and Gal being chased in the sewers.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 9/10/2012 2:23:15 AM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 81
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 9/10/2012 2:17:51 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

The Shining is great and Kill List is excellent.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 82
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 9/10/2012 6:19:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I had to sleep with the light on after I saw Kill List

Much more better!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 83
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 9/10/2012 7:52:11 AM   
matty_b

Kill List is a great, great film.

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 84
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 9/10/2012 3:24:12 PM   
MonsterCat

No. 7 - Halloween ( John Carpenter; 1978)

The quintessential slasher flick still holds up today and sees John Carpenter working at the very peak of powers. It's a graceful and efficient scare machine of a movie, and a absolute must watch on Halloween night.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 85
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 9/10/2012 3:28:32 PM   
Harry Tuttle

The Descent - Meh

TCM - Great

An American Werewolf in London - Absolutely brilliant

Se7en - Fantastic

The Shining - Good

Blair Witch - Piss poor

Halloween - Amazing. Would probably top my own horror list were I to make one.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 86
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 9/10/2012 3:31:33 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Please do one and I'll stop pestering your mum.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 87
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 9/10/2012 3:41:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Please do one and I'll stop pestering your mum.

No point now. I've already disclosed my number 1 .

I have actually been thinking of putting a list together as I have to be the only semi regular poster in this sub forum that hasn't contributed one yet.

I'll try and get something together before the end of the year. Possibly something along the lines of my 20 favourite directors with my favourite film off each one. My main problem is that I'm a lazy fucker and I can't be arsed .

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 9/10/2012 3:43:29 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 88
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 9/10/2012 4:01:19 PM   
Rebel scum

Halloween is fantastic.

I was tempted to do a top X horrors list for Halloween, then realised 90% of them would be on my top 100 list so there's so point!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 89
RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push ... - 10/10/2012 1:36:18 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Halloween's all a bit boring.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI