Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: No way a 5 star movie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: No way a 5 star movie Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 11:41:16 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

SPOILERS

Mad Dog (again, an immense performance - his fighting skills and general nastiness were the highlight for me)

Nastiness? Hmm...

See for me whilst he is totally badass, he's also an honourable one (hence the fact he doesn't just shoot the sergeant in the head & he frees the brother being tortured to take on the pair of them hand to hand simultaneously).

Watched it again yesterday. The Die Hard / Hard Boiled comparisons are unfair, but it's cracking! Best fun I've had in a cinema in a while.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 61
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 12:19:44 PM   
Filmfan 2

Just to clarify, my disappointment in this film doesn't come from it not being like Die Hard. I mentioned the latter film in my review only because it was raised in the Empire review.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 62
Gripped - 24/5/2012 12:23:36 PM   
mateyboy2

Saw it last night - got to say its one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Two deaths in particular were incredibly wince inducing (death by door and the stairwell wrap around). The actor and director are going to be huge stars - I hope.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 63
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 2:02:37 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Well they are making that comparison - the film itself isn't. It isn't like all those Die Hard knock offs for example.

Although I do think it is a classic in the making, I also don't think it will tap into pop culture the same way Die Hard and Hard Boiled did. But that is ok.

Needless to say I can't wait to see what Evans does next - I am sure we can all agree he shoots action really well.

I agree, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't trying to compare them at all, just commenting on a lot of comparisons that have been made.

quote:

Nastiness? Hmm...

See for me whilst he is totally badass, he's also an honourable one (hence the fact he doesn't just shoot the sergeant in the head & he frees the brother being tortured to take on the pair of them hand to hand simultaneously).

I didn't take that as being honourable, I took that as the fact he loved beating people to death. It was what he was good at and took sadistic pleasure out of doing it. That's nasty in my book

< Message edited by jonson -- 24/5/2012 2:03:29 PM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 64
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 2:20:49 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

I didn't take that as being honourable, I took that as the fact he loved beating people to death. It was what he was good at and took sadistic pleasure out of doing it. That's nasty in my book

It doesn't sound quite the same as big-bad-blokey from Hard Boiled allowing for all the hospital patients to move out of the way before continuing his gunfight against Alan. That's honourable.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 65
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 4:18:22 PM   
Cool Breeze

Watched Hard Boiled last night for the first time in quite a while and still love it to bits.The Raid is nowhere near as much fun as that film.If Evans make a sequel he might think of including some humour and memorable characters.It makes an action movie go a long way.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 66
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 4:27:13 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Watched Hard Boiled last night for the first time in quite a while and still love it to bits.The Raid is nowhere near as much fun as that film.If Evans make a sequel he might think of including some humour and memorable characters.It makes an action movie go a long way.

And the flipside of that is that too much humour or snappy one liners can kill any suspense in an action film stone dead.
I really don't think The Raid needed humour, but I'm sure the US remake will ignore all that and quip away...

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 67
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 4:29:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

It doesn't sound quite the same as big-bad-blokey from Hard Boiled allowing for all the hospital patients to move out of the way before continuing his gunfight against Alan. That's honourable.

I do think Mad Dog did have a code - but maybe one that didn't recognise right and wrong if that makes sense.

Thinking about the film and the "lack of depth" that has been levelled at it - I think one of the subtexts that does exist is male family relationships. Fathers and sons (both real and otherwise) and the competing loyalities contained within. But mostly it is about punching, kicking, stabbing and shooting.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 68
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 5:09:11 PM   
Wild about Wilder

The Raid = ME

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 24/5/2012 5:10:29 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 69
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 8:01:50 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Thinking about the film and the "lack of depth" that has been levelled at it - I think one of the subtexts that does exist is male family relationships. Fathers and sons (both real and otherwise) and the competing loyalities contained within. But mostly it is about punching, kicking, stabbing and shooting.

This totally needs to be a poster quote.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 70
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 8:32:45 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

Okay then, how about honourably nasty?

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 71
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 24/5/2012 9:06:45 PM   
nhassell

Saw it this afternoon. I was expecting to enjoy it, no dloubt, but a five star movie, with virtually no plot to it; as if. BOY was I wrong. The plot didn't matter, I had the most entertaining 100 minutes I have had at the cinema in years. Surely the greatest action film of all time, surely.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 72
Totally Over-rated all round........ - 24/5/2012 10:32:17 PM  1 votes
n13roy

I think some of the previous reviews sum up what I thought of this Film, but just to add something extra,/ personal, I can honestly say this is the WORST Film I have seen this Year in the Cinema, and I went to see it on the recommendation of the 5 Star review Empire gave it..........

Remind me to NEVER take any notice of their ratings from now on.......

Post #: 73
RE: Totally Over-rated all round........ - 25/5/2012 10:20:14 AM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: n13roy

I think some of the previous reviews sum up what I thought of this Film, but just to add something extra,/ personal, I can honestly say this is the WORST Film I have seen this Year in the Cinema, and I went to see it on the recommendation of the 5 Star review Empire gave it..........

Remind me to NEVER take any notice of their ratings from now on.......

Need to ask, but what else have you seen at the cinema this year? What's the second worst, after The Raid?

(in reply to n13roy)
Post #: 74
RE: Totally Over-rated all round........ - 25/5/2012 12:06:30 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

Need to ask, but what else have you seen at the cinema this year? What's the second worst, after The Raid?

I can only imagine the Darkest Hour and Jack & Jill passed him by....I hope.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 75
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 25/5/2012 2:23:23 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

And the flipside of that is that too much humour or snappy one liners can kill any suspense in an action film stone dead.
I really don't think The Raid needed humour, but I'm sure the US remake will ignore all that and quip away...

Die Hard.

Commando.

Hard Boiled

Con Air.

The Rock.

Face Off.

Lethal Weapon.

The Last Boy Scout.

All these films are highly regarded action classics.What have they got in common besides that? They are all frequently laugh out loud funny and full of memorable one liners.The Raid could have used some of these elements.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 76
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 25/5/2012 2:48:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

To be fair, how many thousands didn't accomplish that?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 77
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 25/5/2012 3:29:26 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

To be fair, how many thousands didn't accomplish that?

Well exactly.
Some work, but a lot don't, and I personally think that the humour in Con Air, The Rock and The Last Boy Scout is shoe-horned and cringeworthy at times, and they would be better with it toned down.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 78
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 25/5/2012 9:56:24 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

maybe The Raid just wanted to be its own action film.
god im tired.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 79
Quick Reply.......... - 25/5/2012 10:23:30 PM   
n13roy

Just to clarify, some of the comments directed at me below. I go to the Cinema at least once a week, so I have seen a LOT of Films this Year, and many Years gone by come to that, and it is just MY opinion, that " The Raid " is the worst Film I've seen this Year. The silly comments posted here are really just trivial, and who the hell cares what the " second " worst Film is, I've seen this Year........

Grow up people, if someone posts a negative review, its their opinion, which is the whole point of this part of the Empire website.....

Post #: 80
RE: Quick Reply.......... - 26/5/2012 2:32:04 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

Just to clarify, some of the comments directed at me below. I go to the Cinema at least once a week, so I have seen a LOT of Films this Year, and many Years gone by come to that, and it is just MY opinion, that " The Raid " is the worst Film I've seen this Year. The silly comments posted here are really just trivial, and who the hell cares what the " second " worst Film is, I've seen this Year........

Grow up people, if someone posts a negative review, its their opinion, which is the whole point of this part of the Empire website.....

An opinion is fine, but an explanation to yours wouldn't go amiss.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to n13roy)
Post #: 81
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 26/5/2012 9:46:54 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Great picks BUT I would've added Die Hard 3 just for the bit where Bruce drives through the park & Sam asks are you trying to hit these people Wilis's reply "NO!" well maybe that Mime?

Post #: 82
RE: No way a 5 star movie - 27/5/2012 10:11:41 AM   
Mr_Milktray

The Raid is YES way a 5 star movie.

Seriously considering going to see it again at the cinema. Loved it.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 27/5/2012 10:36:41 AM >

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 83
RE: Quick Reply.......... - 28/5/2012 10:45:45 AM   
Vitamin F

quote:

Well I did!
Just trying to get a sense of relativity and encourage you to back up your opinion for the rest of us. No more silly than posting a "worst film ever!" comment with no meat on its bones.

I don't care now, though.

(in reply to n13roy)
Post #: 84
Moves At Breakneck Speed; Violent, Beserk, And Deliriou... - 29/5/2012 11:28:28 AM   
blaud

There's been a real lack of true, honest-to-goodness action movies in recent times. After the release of Shoot 'Em Up, I became convinced that it was only a matter of time before western directors wised up to the popularity of such gun-fetishist, slo-mo action movies. Alas, no such luck. Now, however, after having seen The Raid, I sincerely hope westerners leave it to the people that really know how to produce an action movies. Whilst flawed, The Raid is pound for pound the most exciting and adrenaline-pumping piece of cinema in more years than I care to mention. It's a breathless, character-invested film that doesn't let up until the final scenes, and even then you're still reeling from the fight scenes and shootouts that preceded. It would have been nice if a little more time had been spent illustrating how isolated the police were, rather than just telling us (it seemed in places as if they could just walk out, and only at the end do you see they're enclosed). It would've also been nice to have a touch more substance, particularly in the earlier scenes. These are minor problems, though, as The Raid does not fall into the all-too-common trap for action movies of making the story second to the action. The plot is simple, but when linked to the masterfully-choreographed fight scenes and standoffs, it's just as much as standout. As a result, this is a hard-hitting, wonderfully entertaining and ridiculously manic 'actioner', in the truest sense of the word.

Post #: 85
RE: Moves At Breakneck Speed; Violent, Beserk, And Deli... - 29/5/2012 2:20:40 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: blaud

There's been a real lack of true, honest-to-goodness action movies in recent times. After the release of Shoot 'Em Up, I became convinced that it was only a matter of time before western directors wised up to the popularity of such gun-fetishist, slo-mo action movies. Alas, no such luck. Now, however, after having seen The Raid, I sincerely hope westerners leave it to the people that really know how to produce an action movies. Whilst flawed, The Raid is pound for pound the most exciting and adrenaline-pumping piece of cinema in more years than I care to mention. It's a breathless, character-invested film that doesn't let up until the final scenes, and even then you're still reeling from the fight scenes and shootouts that preceded. It would have been nice if a little more time had been spent illustrating how isolated the police were, rather than just telling us (it seemed in places as if they could just walk out, and only at the end do you see they're enclosed). It would've also been nice to have a touch more substance, particularly in the earlier scenes. These are minor problems, though, as The Raid does not fall into the all-too-common trap for action movies of making the story second to the action. The plot is simple, but when linked to the masterfully-choreographed fight scenes and standoffs, it's just as much as standout. As a result, this is a hard-hitting, wonderfully entertaining and ridiculously manic 'actioner', in the truest sense of the word.

You do know it's directed by a welsh man?

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to blaud)
Post #: 86
RE: Moves At Breakneck Speed; Violent, Beserk, And Deli... - 29/5/2012 5:51:15 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: blaud

You do know it's directed by a welsh man?

He might be referring to Western in the geo-political meaning; modern.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 87
Awesome fun - 30/5/2012 4:24:32 PM   
Mr Grizzly

Is it over the top? Yes. Unoriginal? Yes. Is it the action movie of the year? Most likely! It's also the most entertaining action film I've seen in years and deserves to be a cult classic! As the Empire review says it's refreshing to see fights that celebrate the choreography and avoid going for the A.D.D style fast edits when you can't tell who's hitting who. Go see it, like, now.

Post #: 88
RE: Awesome fun - 3/6/2012 1:15:56 PM   
jrewing1000

I'm sorry guys and gals, but I was bitterly disappointed with this. Comparisons to Die Hard and Hard Boiled are generous to say the least. Yes there is a building involved, but those two movies alone are far richer and more interesting as stories than The Raid.

The first half was fantastic. There were some really inventive, creative and original set pieces, involving slow motion, that really heightened the suspense and drama. Where did those flourishes go?? It was like the director had given up half way through, only to resort to one over long fight sequence after another.

Which brings me to the fight sequences. Strange that I found myself falling asleep during these moments!

Ok, these guys are undoubtedly skilled at martial arts, it was technically amazing. But in terms of the movie, of the story, it was just dull. dull. dull. There was just no drama in the fighting. There was no tension. No suspense.

I really wanted to enjoy this, but I just found myself dialing out once the kung fu started. Maybe these films are just not for me?

(in reply to Mr Grizzly)
Post #: 89
ACTION- PACKED - 14/7/2012 11:15:34 PM   
soulfood

This Movie is Action- Packed & most entertaining action film I've seen in years

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: No way a 5 star movie Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI