Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Raid

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Raid Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Raid - 27/4/2012 11:55:00 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Truer words were never spoke - 27/4/2012 11:55:00 AM   
TomBowler

5 Stars is exactly right. Saw this with a friend of mine. Both he and I are huge action fans and we were gasping, swearing and air-punching constantly. No eep-ing though. We don't eep.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Truer words were never spoke - 27/4/2012 12:53:27 PM   
talpacino

Can't wait to see this again. Good to see the 5 stars. Great film.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to TomBowler)
Post #: 3
RE: Truer words were never spoke - 27/4/2012 2:58:10 PM   
Spaldron

Awesome film, one of the finest Asian actioners ever filmed with some of the best martial arts ever committed to film.

5/5

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 4
STUNNING!!!! - 10/5/2012 1:29:48 PM  1 votes
retranimator

NEVER HAVE I TRULY WANTED TO GO SEE A FILM AGAIN DIRECTLY AFTER JUST SEEING IT.
THIS FILM DOSE NOT STOP AND IS JAW DROPPING FROM START TO FINISH.
EVEN IF YOUR NOT AT ALL A FAN OF NON ENGLISH SPEAKING FILMS, CHECK THIS OUT AS IT IT HAS VERY LITTLE DIALOGUE AS THE REST IS PURE ACTION!

Post #: 5
ima spoil the party - 14/5/2012 3:02:22 AM   
hellsfoxes

yes there were a hell of a lot of fantastic moments and real action is beautiful to behold.

however this is not a great film. and as an action film i had a lot of probs.

SPOILERS

for a start there is no satisfying conclusion with the big bad. his right hand man, yes that fight was incredible if a little 'i wait here while you fight then il jump in', but the whole thing with the older corrupt cop... meh. he just wasn't compelling enough for the ending to revolve around and made the journey less interesting.

theres a lot of sloppy plot holes/plotting that really ruined the tension for me. like how the snipers next door were this huge deal and then they completely forget about them by the end. or how that intense scene where they were hiding from behind the wall is followed by the main guy walking uncharacteristically stupidly into the same group IMMEDIATELY AFTER.

i love dumb action movies and never thought i wud b missing the character development but i kept wondering how much time at the beginning would have made the whole thing better.. 5 minutes? 10? films like die hard/hard boiled/the killer have spoiled us for forever proving that hardcore action need not be a completely superficial affair. the raid is one note and whatever note that is (ooh ahh that was crazy), the lack of variation ends up watering down the individual pieces.

Post #: 6
delete post please - 14/5/2012 3:10:31 AM   
hellsfoxes

delete post please

< Message edited by hellsfoxes -- 14/5/2012 1:40:55 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: d - 14/5/2012 1:29:01 PM   
clownfoot

Very excited. This may be the film that gets me to the cinema for the first time in over a year...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to hellsfoxes)
Post #: 8
5 stars.. seriously? - 14/5/2012 7:53:17 PM   
darkhart

Having just watched the trailer it looked liked a bunch of korean movie students who can't act or fight convincingly!

Post #: 9
RE: Truer words were never spoke - 15/5/2012 1:06:17 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Awesome film, one of the finest Asian actioners ever filmed with some of the best martial arts ever committed to film.

5/5

Directed by a Welshman. I love that fact

Saw the trailer for this before Safe today and I can't wait to see it!

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 10
RE: Truer words were never spoke - 15/5/2012 9:00:32 AM   
Happy Shrapnel

Can't wait to see this, just hope it lives up to the hype !
Like the dig about Hollywood using shaky camera shots in fight scenes now, sick and tired of it myself !

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 11
From the clip this looks immature and tiresome. - 15/5/2012 12:58:01 PM  1 votes
Cameron1975Williams

I was bored by this minute long clip, and I hear the movie is pretty much like this from beginning to end. To put this in the same league as Die Hard is ludicrous. Empire is not often wrong, but this looks like one of those cases. Superman Returns, The Star Wars Prequels and Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull are other cases. Empire, prepare to eat SMEG.

Post #: 12
RE: From the clip this looks immature and tiresome. - 15/5/2012 1:50:30 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

I was bored by this minute long clip, and I hear the movie is pretty much like this from beginning to end. To put this in the same league as Die Hard is ludicrous.

What they mean is, it's an action film that gives the genre a much needed shot in the arm. That is what Die Hard did and that is apparently what The Raid does too. I have heard many good reviews of the film from non-critics who have seen it and Empire are not the only only critics who like the film, so unless almost everyone who has seen it are wrong, the film is something special. Of course, that doesn't mean you are going to like it but apparently you have already made your mind up about it

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 13
RE: From the clip this looks immature and tiresome. - 15/5/2012 1:57:48 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

I was bored by this minute long clip, and I hear the movie is pretty much like this from beginning to end. To put this in the same league as Die Hard is ludicrous.

What they mean is, it's an action film that gives the genre a much needed shot in the arm. That is what Die Hard did and that is apparently what The Raid does too. I have heard many good reviews of the film from non-critics who have seen it and Empire are not the only only critics who like the film, so unless almost everyone who has seen it are wrong, the film is something special. Of course, that doesn't mean you are going to like it but apparently you have already made your mind up about it

I can see where Cameron1975Williams is coming from though.Over long fight scenes can become somewhat repetitive.
But from early showings it seems to have a good enough plot to carry it along.

Personally speaking it looks like a blast.

Post #: 14
RE: From the clip this looks immature and tiresome. - 15/5/2012 3:18:05 PM   
horribleives

I'm not one to dismiss something I haven't seen but from seeing the trailer and reading about it I'm fairly certain I'd get bored after about half an hour, like I did with virtually all of John Woo's early films and every martial arts flick I've ever attempted to watch.
But hey, you never know...

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 15
RE: From the clip this looks immature and tiresome. - 15/5/2012 10:10:19 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

I can see where Cameron1975Williams is coming from though.Over long fight scenes can become somewhat repetitive.
But from early showings it seems to have a good enough plot to carry it along.

Personally speaking it looks like a blast.

I can see where he's coming from too but why attack* Empire about it when it's not just them that are highly praising the film? I'm seeing the film next week and I may well get bored of the repetitiveness too but at least I would have seen the film to make that judgement. And I wouldn't tell Empire to 'eat smeg' because they were 'wrong'. In fact, if he is bored by the clip he saw then maybe it's just not the film for him to begin with

*ok, 'attack' is a bit strong a word but it's the only one I could think of

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 16
RE: From the clip this looks immature and tiresome. - 15/5/2012 10:28:27 PM   
sanchia

How can you make a decision on whether a film is in the same league as Die Hard not, or how ludicrous the claim is, from a minute long clip? Personally from the trailers etc. it does not seem a film for me but there is the possibility it may turn out to be a decent film.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 17
RE: Superb film - 16/5/2012 12:39:45 AM  1 votes
Spaldron

quote:

I was bored by this minute long clip, and I hear the movie is pretty much like this from beginning to end. To put this in the same league as Die Hard is ludicrous. Empire is not often wrong, but this looks like one of those cases. Superman Returns, The Star Wars Prequels and Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull are other cases. Empire, prepare to eat SMEG.

Judging a film before you've even seen it?

DRINK!

On a similar note I have seen it and its fucking amazing.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 18
Excellent Film - 16/5/2012 9:09:45 AM   
Wilemina

I really enjoyed this film. I was pleasantly surprised when Cineworld previewed it in my small town cineplex. What I really liked was the close quarters camera work. Gave a real claustrophobic sense of perspective in the corridors.
Fingers crossed for loads of behind the scenes features on the home video release.

Spinal Nurse, Movie Go-er.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 19
RE: Excellent Film - 16/5/2012 9:40:11 AM   
jmebaby25

I guess I'll go and see this because the reviews have been great. What puts me off is the awful trailer with the large text saying:

"The greatest action movie ever!"

It makes me think of a cheap and nasty fast food store that has to describe their own food as "fresh" or "quality meat".

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Wilemina)
Post #: 20
- 16/5/2012 12:17:59 PM   
Whistler

It's definitely one of the best action movies of recent times. The fight scenes are immense. Brutal, stylish and relentless, and all of them are incredibly well choreographed. And the best part? You can actually see what's happening! Other directors take note (*ahem* Gary Ross) - this is how you shoot fight scenes.

Post #: 21
RE: - 16/5/2012 4:10:35 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I saw the impressive The Raid at the Bradford International Film Festival about a month ago and oh boy did it not disappoint. From start to finish the film was unrelenting brutal chop socky action that will satiate the appetite of any action movie fan.
Yes ok the storyline wasn't the most original and the character development was near on non-existent but I don't think that was the point of the film. The film was, for me, a showcase for the most amazing martial artists to show their prowess in the art. Which leads me onto the action, needless to say it was so brutal and bone crunching in places that every now and then the audience would all wince and go oooooooooo!!!! simultaneously (especially with one particular takedown involving a door). Particular standouts on the action front have to go to the lead actor Iko Uwais who plays Rama and Yayan Ruhian who plays Mad Dog (the name explains it all). Truely, this is a must see for any action movie fan.

9/10

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 22
Does not disappoint. - 17/5/2012 1:28:55 AM   
bernardshakey

I heard so many good things about this from US websites I thought it must be all hype but it doesn't disappoint. Once it gets going it is totally relentless and you just wonder how a human being is capable of doing these things. Don't think I've ever heard an audience react to a film so vocally, they were feeling every punch. Highly recommended.

Post #: 23
RE: The Raid - 17/5/2012 2:27:41 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Looks like Hirwaun is the conveyor belt of directors.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 24
RE: The Raid - 17/5/2012 11:24:27 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Saw this today at a preview with a director Q & A post-screening. The film's an absolutely phenomenal piece of action film-making with some utterly insane but thrilling moments and as many blistering fight sequences as you could want. The plotting and characterisation is noticeably thinner than the action classics that Evans clearly grew up and loved like the rest of us, but this is more than compensated for by the charismatic Iwais and the inventive, brutal choreography. Really looking forward to seeing it again in the near future.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 25
For once, the film matches and exceeds the hype! - 18/5/2012 10:40:49 AM   
waqas5050

Lean, mean thrill machine and with not once ounce of fat! Iko Uwais is the newest international action star and with this he has booked his place in The Expendables 3 (if Stallone has any sense)! Finally a martial arts action epic where the story, acting and directing matches the numerous inventive fights on screen. See it to believe it and when you have caught your breath, see it again!

Post #: 26
RE: The Raid - 18/5/2012 9:21:32 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

I would dearly, dearly like to know how many gunshots are in this film. It's certainly in four figures, and quite possibly in five. No, seriously. The first half of this movie sees a shell-count (and body-count) unlike anything I've witnessed in years. The second half focuses more on hand-to-hand martial arts, with more shouting and grunting than actual dialogue.
But all in all, it adds up to a spectacular ride, with genuine tension throughout.

< Message edited by TheMightyBlackout -- 3/6/2012 1:31:11 AM >

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 27
Believe the hype - 19/5/2012 12:08:32 AM   
danielthompson99

This is an awesome action movie. It is certainly the best "kung-fu" movie I've seen, and I want to see it again, now please!
The tension builds, you can feel the pressure and the awesome soundtrack helps build on the mood. Then all hell breaks loose. The action is ridiculous, the camera work is sensational, the editing is great too.
Top draw, could not recommend for a boys movie anything higher. If any girls like this, marry them.

< Message edited by danielthompson99 -- 19/5/2012 12:09:08 AM >

Post #: 28
Exhaustingly brilliant - 19/5/2012 12:23:22 AM   
Blyman

The Raid plus 5 lads, Curzon Soho (excellent cinema), beers and a Chinese equals unbeatable night. The audience clapped mid film after 'that' Mad Dog fight scene, says it all really.

Post #: 29
Phenomenal - 19/5/2012 3:15:33 AM   
imcalledadrian

Breathtaking film with wonderfully imaginative fight scenes which earn their cheers...I caught myself several times watching it with a huge grin on my face.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Raid Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI