Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

I want more life !!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> I want more life !!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I want more life !!! - 24/4/2012 2:38:34 PM   
donethinking

For Bladerunner fans should the line have stayed as fucker or father ? I personally i prefer the original, Rutger Hauer prefers it that way too!.....i know father is more subtle and all that but fucker was said and it comes across in Rutgers face that he meant it....by dubbing father over it, it doesnt look 100% as theres no trace of irony or anything in Rutgers performance..

Thoughts BR fans ?
Post #: 1
RE: I want more life !!! - 24/4/2012 6:03:07 PM   
jobloffski

Yes. It WAS Father originally and Fucker was dubbed over it, not the other way round. Fucker sounds more menacing, but Father is better for the scene, given the 'Frankenstein's Monster confronting his creator' parallels.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 2
RE: I want more life !!! - 24/4/2012 6:24:04 PM   
Vitamin F

"Father" works better in the Frankenstein/God context of the story...and on a personal level that single swear-word always sat uncomfortably with me since it's the only "fuck" in the film (isn't it?), stuck out like a sore thumb and therefore seemed out of place.

Post #: 3
RE: I want more life !!! - 24/4/2012 6:41:54 PM   
Sutty

definately "Father". All day long. It is small, almost incidental, elements like this that raise a movie from the very good to the classic arena. Instead of making the scene more aggressive, or intimidating it raises it to something more...mythic. Grandiose. Ala the Frankenstiens Monster parallel mentioned above.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 4
RE: I want more life !!! - 24/4/2012 8:14:54 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Yes. It WAS Father originally and Fucker was dubbed over it, not the other way round. Fucker sounds more menacing, but Father is better for the scene, given the 'Frankenstein's Monster confronting his creator' parallels.

Thats news to me! whats your source may i ask ?

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 5
RE: I want more life !!! - 25/4/2012 1:00:08 AM   
Spaldron

Father works much better than fucker.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 6
RE: I want more life !!! - 25/4/2012 9:43:15 AM   
donethinking

Looks like i'm in the minority in here at least....i think father sounds rather flaccid...I mean hes asking for more life here not a bag of sweets!!

< Message edited by donethinking -- 25/4/2012 9:44:02 AM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 7
RE: I want more life !!! - 25/4/2012 10:43:47 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Thats news to me! whats your source may i ask ?

I'm sure I read it somewhere, can't remember where, but in the 'workprint' cut of the film, with temporary music and prior to the addition of the voiceover, it is Father, and the voiceover version has Fucker. Ergo, father first.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 8
RE: I want more life !!! - 25/4/2012 11:27:28 AM   
Discodez

In the scripts that are online it's "fucker"....

Post #: 9
RE: I want more life !!! - 25/4/2012 12:36:57 PM   
donethinking

Well i'll be !! I guess years of hearing "fucker" lead me to think that was the original line...no doubt if father was what i was used to hearing i might have preferred that

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 10
RE: I want more life !!! - 25/4/2012 12:50:42 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I also had the impression that Father was first, and then Fucker was dubbed over afterwards.

Personally, Father works much better within the context of the story and the big themes within the film.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 11
RE: I want more life !!! - 25/4/2012 12:55:38 PM   
st3veebee

Another Vote for Father. Fucker seems cheap and really doesn't seem compatible with Batty's personality. Father makes that moment so much more.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 12
RE: I want more life !!! - 25/4/2012 2:33:33 PM   
Discodez

I agree with general consensus that "Father" actually fits the mood better.

Having had a quick look at the script the scene is written with lines like:

"Batty looks up at "Father" Tyrell, Tyrell is swelling with pride."

And another thing; I always found that Hauer's delivery of the line was quite srangulated, it always sounded kind of like he was saying "Fucker" but it could have been "Father". It's almost like the way Hans Gruber says "Yippe-kay-ay Maadder Faaaker" near the end of Die Hard.

The re-dubbed "father" on the final cut works much better.

< Message edited by Discodez -- 25/4/2012 2:42:59 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 3:48:14 AM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

For Bladerunner fans should the line have stayed as fucker or father ? I personally i prefer the original, Rutger Hauer prefers it that way too!.....i know father is more subtle and all that but fucker was said and it comes across in Rutgers face that he meant it....by dubbing father over it, it doesnt look 100% as theres no trace of irony or anything in Rutgers performance..

Thoughts BR fans ?

Unquestionably it should have remained 'fucker'. Father is far too on the nose. The harshness in contrast to the rest of the scene is what worked so well in the original.

Post #: 14
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 7:27:11 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

quote:

Thoughts BR fans ?

Unquestionably it should have remained 'fucker'.

Surely given the difference of opinion already displayed it is far from "unquestionable"?

Personally I'm undecided. I always thought "fucker" seemed a little incongruous somehow. "Father" may be more appropriate given the context but it just grates me hearing it because on so many previous viewings it was something else. Even with good intentions these dialogue changes, no matter how small, don't sit well with me. coughcoughLucascoughcough....

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 26/4/2012 7:33:34 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 15
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 10:12:27 AM   
spark1

its got to be 'fucker'- roy really turns up the heat on tyrell at that moment when he says those words.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 16
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 12:36:55 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Surely given the difference of opinion already displayed it is far from "unquestionable"?

If you look on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjbAgwdBaTI there seems to be more people in favour of 'fucker' than father.

In fact I think i'll get sony vegas pro out and re-dub 'fucker' over father on my Bluray Final Cut Rip (yes I bought it box set and all)

< Message edited by donethinking -- 26/4/2012 12:37:33 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 1:01:07 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

If you look on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjbAgwdBaTI there seems to be more people in favour of 'fucker' than father.

Yes, but most of the people who comment on youtube are morons, aren't they?

I've always liked the fact that you can't clearly make out if Batty is saying 'fucker' or 'father' in that scene in any version of the film. It's like the way Hauer played it was to elucidate more on Batty's internal dichotomy through the struggle to say a simple word - there is both respect for his creator, tinged with the rash hatred of a child who feels cheated by his parents. That's what makes it a wonderful scene; Hauer coming to terms with his humanity. Not whether he says fucker or father.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 18
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 1:09:42 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Yes, but most of the people who comment on youtube are morons, aren't they?

I've always liked the fact that you can't clearly make out if Batty is saying 'fucker' or 'father' in that scene in any version of the film. It's like the way Hauer played it was to elucidate more on Batty's internal dichotomy through the struggle to say a simple word - there is both respect for his creator, tinged with the rash hatred of a child who feels cheated by his parents. That's what makes it a wonderful scene; Hauer coming to terms with his humanity. Not whether he says fucker or father.

It depends where you look, I'd reckon most people watching a Bladerunner clip wont, on the whole, be morons...also by the same token a lot of worthy types have a propencity to waffle pretentious bollocks!! present company excluded of course!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 19
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 1:52:30 PM   
Hood_Man

This thread is filth.

Post #: 20
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 2:10:24 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

This thread is filth.

No I'm sure it's "Father" or "Fucker", but not Father-fucker, that would be filth!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 21
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 2:27:48 PM   
Hood_Man

It's the extensive use of the word Fucker I was getting at really

I haven't seen this film in years, bizarrely this thread has given me the urge to do so more than any other.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 22
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 3:07:55 PM   
DancingClown

Now that I've thought about it I think Batty should've called him "muddy-funster".

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 23
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 3:12:21 PM   
Discodez

quote:

Now that I've thought about it I think Batty should've called him "muddy-funster".

Only if Deckard had had fun with his wife though!!!

Post #: 24
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 3:48:50 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I think I mentioned this before somehwhere that the word 'fucker'' makes it sound more shocking, because it seemed out of character for him esp. With his 'tears in the rain' speech later on; and quoting William Blake earlier on. So Roy is an old romantic/ poet at heart (in total contrast to Deckards character of course). Hence him uttering those words 'I want more life FUCKER' made it seem all the more shocking!

We already know the father son relation or allegory, becuase Tyrell even refers to Batty as 'the prodigal son'. To be honest I dont mind 'father' but 'fucker' makes him more menacing. And matches perfectly to the look on Tyrell's face when this is uttered.

So 'fucker' for me it is!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 25
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 3:50:48 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

I wonder if anyone but us old fuckers will get those two references...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 26
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 3:54:30 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

Less of the "old", cake-sucker!

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 27
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 4:03:11 PM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

quote:

Old funsters surely!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 28
RE: I want more life !!! - 26/4/2012 6:47:41 PM   
MonsterCat

Go spit, you bunch of airheads.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 29
RE: I want more life !!! - 27/4/2012 2:54:34 AM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

quote:

Thoughts BR fans ?

Unquestionably it should have remained 'fucker'.

Personally I'm undecided. I always thought "fucker" seemed a little incongruous somehow. "Father" may be more appropriate given the context but it just grates me hearing it because on so many previous viewings it was something else. Even with good intentions these dialogue changes, no matter how small, don't sit well with me. coughcoughLucascoughcough....

I just happen to think I'm 100% right. I don't expect everyone else to agree with me:)

There was clearly a father son dynamic at play throughout the scene, but I liked that when push came to shove, Batty tosses that aside, and though you expect the word to be 'father', he just essentially flat out says "what the fuck do you think I want????"

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> I want more life !!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI