Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 30/7/2012 6:33:36 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Essentially, this boxset just isn't very good, is it?

I couldn't comment on the boxset as a whole, but the Blu-rays I've seen from the line-up so far are not that great, no. Blue Velvet's transfer might be a direct lift from a DVD source; the logo at the beginning is not Universal's. It's a real shame because David Lynch's film rely so much on visuals and sounds as well as dialogue and characters, and when you have poor transfers like Blue Velvet something gets lost in the translation and the movie suffers a little bit because of that.

I have heard nice things said about Eraserhead's picture quality, though.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 30/7/2012 6:41:01 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 31
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 30/7/2012 7:51:54 PM   
moontheloon

Had a pleasantly surprisingly speedy reply to my first email complaining about the Blu Ray and asking for advice. It said :

quote:

Dear moontheloon,

Universal Pictures UK always aims to achieve a high level of satisfaction from our customers, so we would like to apologise for any disappointment caused in respect of our product.

If you wish to exchange your UK purchased discs of ‘Lost Highway’ or ‘Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me’ we ask that you send us proof of purchase along with your name and address to upenquiries@cinram.com. Please send a picture of the box set as you no longer have your receipt.
Upon receipt, we will post you a copy of the corrected relevant films as requested once they are available. Please note we will post to any country as long as a UK product was originally purchased. This Exchange Offer will be applicable only until end of November 2012.

Kind Regards
Universal UK Customer Service

I've now emailed off a photo of the boxset which they said would be proof enough of purchase and although there is no timescale for the replacements I am fairly satisfied with the response, it feels like a real person typed it rather than an automated reply. I think If I've not heard anything by September then I'll email them again as I would hate to miss the November deadline, but until then I will just wait.

As for the boxset, Eraserhead does look pretty good, but I mostly bought this for the extras, I know there are none on Twin Peaks, and there are less then other releases, but there are some nice things on here which interested me.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 32
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 2/8/2012 12:48:54 PM   
shatnerhamster

Well, if this thread has taught us one thing, it is this:
directorscut is clearly the fount of all wisdom and knowledge, and should be worshipped accordingly.

First we'll need to get rid of heretics like MonsterCat, UTB and rubadub, though. Do we have any volunteers to smite these unbelievers?

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 33
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 3/8/2012 8:06:47 AM   
UTB

I volunteer to take care of myself out of sheer desperation at you and the others missing the point.

(in reply to shatnerhamster)
Post #: 34
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 22/9/2012 10:42:30 AM   
MonsterCat

So Universal Pictures have finally sent me a new Twin Peaks disc...

Actually, scratch that: they sent me the entire fucking box-set instead! If anybody wants a copy of Peaks with not particularly great sound, I'm currently selling it on Play.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 35
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 22/9/2012 11:13:39 PM   
moontheloon

Mine arrived this morning too; I've not checked Twin Peaks yet but I checked Lost Highway quickly and it doesn't freeze in the same place as last time so that's a good sign. But like you they simply sent me another boxset... I don't know whether to sell the other one or not, I'd feel bad if I sold it to a shop knowing that two of the films didn't work properly, however, I don't need it and would feel bad throwing it away. I might see if a friend is interested in it for the other films once I've checked over all the films in the next week or so.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 36
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 23/9/2012 1:03:50 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

Mine arrived this morning too; I've not checked Twin Peaks yet but I checked Lost Highway quickly and it doesn't freeze in the same place as last time so that's a good sign. But like you they simply sent me another boxset... I don't know whether to sell the other one or not, I'd feel bad if I sold it to a shop knowing that two of the films didn't work properly, however, I don't need it and would feel bad throwing it away. I might see if a friend is interested in it for the other films once I've checked over all the films in the next week or so.

The sound on Twin Peaks is fine now.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 37
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 24/9/2012 10:29:35 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

So Universal Pictures have finally sent me a new Twin Peaks disc...

Actually, scratch that: they sent me the entire fucking box-set instead! If anybody wants a copy of Peaks with not particularly great sound, I'm currently selling it on Play.

Haha same! Just arrived in the post this morning. Fair play to them

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 38
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 29/9/2012 2:32:54 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

What!? where's my favourite MULHOLLAND DRIVE???

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 39
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 29/9/2012 3:17:00 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

What!? where's my favourite MULHOLLAND DRIVE???

Universal don't own the home entertainment rights for Mulholland Drive, hence its exclusion from this particular box-set.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 40
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 1/10/2012 1:50:41 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

Oooh.. i see:)

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 41
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 4/2/2013 9:18:02 PM   
scary_ice

OK, just reviving this thread as I was looking to purchase FWWM when I noticed all these reviews on Amazon talking about sound problems, so I decided to check on these forums to see what the good folk of Empire had to say on the matter.

So basically my question is: do you think if I was to buy the single disc FWWM it would be a new corrected version? I just recently finished the TV series and I wanna check out the movie but now I'm wondering would I be better off buying an older version such as this one from 2001
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Peaks-Fire-Walk-DVD/dp/B00005NOMP/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1360012589&sr=1-5

Maybe its just cos that older version has a cooler cover

< Message edited by scary_ice -- 4/2/2013 9:21:47 PM >

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 42
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 4/2/2013 9:27:50 PM   
MonsterCat

If you're looking to buy the DVD only, I reckon you'll be alright.

The audio problems only effected the blu-ray copies.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 43
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 5/2/2013 1:36:14 AM   
scary_ice

Oh cool, thanks for your prompt response too!

I will be ordering it soon then (though I still wish it had the other cover)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 44
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 13/2/2013 12:48:27 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

For those interested (not directorscut obviously, this being a Universal release), there's a David Lynch set being released on the 4th June, containing Eraserhead, Dune, Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart, Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me and Lost Highway.

ERASERHEAD – Newly remastered by David Lynch himself, ERASERHEAD is a dream of dark and troubling things.
Special Features:
- LYNCH ONE documentary (81.42)
- Four short films;
Six Men Getting Sick - 1966 (03.45)
The Alphabet - 1968 (03.44)
The Amputee Take 1 - 1974 (04.50)
The Amputee Take 2 - 1974 (04.04)

DUNE – Based on Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel, Lynch’s filmic vision is a genuine science-fiction masterpiece.
Special Features:
- Destination Dune (06.16)
- Impressions of Dune (38.02)
- Interview with Golda Offenheim, production co-ordinator on Dune (25.00)
- Theatrical trailer

BLUE VELVET – A voyage of discovery into the very heart of Lunberton’s seedy and sinister underworld.
Special Features:
- Interview with Dennis Hopper (45 Mins)
- Mysteries of Love documentary (70 Mins)
- Three Outtakes
- Siskel & Ebert “At the Movies”
- Four Vignettes
- Theatrical trailer
- TV Spots

WILD AT HEART – A love story in hell; WILD AT HEART takes Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern on one of the most bizarre journeys of all time.
Special Features:
- DUMBLAND (all eight animated episodes) (35.00)
- Two short films:
The Grandmother – 1970 (33.36)
Lumiere and Company - 1995 (00.58)

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME – The last seven days of Laura Palmer. Starring Kyle Machlachlan, Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise.

LOST HIGHWAY – Featuring an incredible cast, LOST HIGHWAY is a powerful, sensual and extraordinary experience.
Special Features:
- Four Intervalometer Experiments: Steps (03.38) / Dining Room (02.55) / Groper (00.18) / Sunset (06.03)
- Six short films: The Darkened Room (08.16) / Boat (07.16)
Lamp (30.20) / Out Yonder – Neighbour Boy (09.38)
Industrial Soundscape (10.20) / The Bug Crawls (04.12)

All of these are being released or re-released individually on the same date.

Woohoo!

Well I still have not kicked and screamed myself into the Blu Ray age so weren't be getting it anyway, but judging it, it seems a mixed bag.

Eraserhead is must for any die hard Lynch fans, althrough I already have the short films, but I guess the documentary would even things out.

Dune is his weakest film and does drag the release down a bit, not that any Lynch film isn't worth seeing mind.

Blue Velvet has some very good special features which are not on my origianal DVD copy and the film itself is a masterpiece.

Wild at Heart is another one of his best films which takes things in a different direction, not much special features wise there.

Lost Highway I like, but the features are so-so.

Overall it seems worth getting.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 45
RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June - 18/2/2013 10:29:13 AM   
Platter

A second hand shop called CEX has about 20 copies of this on display at £22 a pop. They must be the messed up versions.

I rented Eraserhead on Blu-Ray and it looked and sounded excellent.

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: David Lynch Box Set (Blu Ray) - 4th June Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI