Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> How I Spent My Summer Vacation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How I Spent My Summer Vacation - 24/4/2012 2:05:15 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: one of my fave films of 2012 - 5/5/2012 10:31:36 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: bill the butcher

i have not seen it yet
i love THE BEAVER and i adore EDGE OF DARKNESS
mel is and always will be one of the actors i admire
can't wait to see this

One of your fave films from 2012 is one you haven't seen yet?
Post #: 2
RE: one of my fave films of 2012 - 5/5/2012 3:10:31 PM   
elab49

Just to note - one post lost when spam removed. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 3
- 7/5/2012 5:02:09 PM   
PuffinParty

no one wants to see this right wing waste of skin cavorting around in his fascist-undertones movies anymore

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 4
FLASHMAN - 8/5/2012 10:40:06 AM   
Frank Comiskey

I will probably go see this; Mel looks in good form, and, apart from some obvious follicle work, does not seem to have the embarassing face-lift work of his contemporaries; what you see is what you get.

Hope if does ok; we are all prone to confusing the fact that actors play (mostly) fictional heroes; we elevate them to a mad degree and expect exemplary lives; can we name more than a few actors who have not turned out have an army of closet skeletons?????????????????

Post #: 5
FLASHMAN - 8/5/2012 10:40:09 AM   
Frank Comiskey

I will probably go see this; Mel looks in good form, and, apart from some obvious follicle work, does not seem to have the embarassing face-lift work of his contemporaries; what you see is what you get.

Hope if does ok; we are all prone to confusing the fact that actors play (mostly) fictional heroes; we elevate them to a mad degree and expect exemplary lives; can we name more than a few actors who have not turned out have an army of closet skeletons?????????????????

Post #: 6
Great fim!!! - 9/5/2012 4:03:32 PM   
Filmmuscle

Forget about whatever view you may have of Mel Gibson and just watch this film! This shouldn't be about what anyone thinks of the actor, he's not on trial. If we truly knew what all actors did in private and look at ourselves too and our mistakes we'd be at constant brutal war with each other. He isn't playing Mel Gibson, he's acting here. End of.

That said this film is superbly written and very well directed. The script sees the characters very well developed and Mel Gibson is on point as the wayward criminal. The small Mexican boy he partners up is simply a joy to watch in that role and the side stories in the film hold together. It's a tad violent ala Tarantino but it's packed with a lot of humour that you're never short of a laugh out loud moment. A definite must see.

Post #: 7
Remember Mel Gibson? - 11/5/2012 5:18:50 PM   
Bighousewill

The film is good Mel Gibson is great but I look at him and I see it all over his face he can't escape all that bad press DUI's anti Semitic rants, I just feel that he is carrying that while he's acting and to me it shows. But not much he is still great and I can forgive him and look past that but he is getting on a bit and that's another reason why his character isn't really that believable.

< Message edited by Bighousewill -- 11/5/2012 5:19:47 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: How I Spent My Summer Vacation - 14/5/2012 5:41:08 AM   
Phubbs

Get the Gringo (aka How I Spend My Summer Vacation)

So it seems Mel Gibson has really upset the apple cart in Hollywood, his new action film has been shunned in the US completely which is pretty bad considering Gibson can bring home the bacon.

As for this new offering well I'm confused, I have read allot about how good this is and how Gibson is back to his best but as far as I'm concerned the film is incredibly average. Its basically a prison flick as Gibson is caught trying to escape a heist at the start and is slung in a Mexican prison, from there he plays bad guys off each other to survive and gets tangled in all manner of gang related issues.

OK firstly there is hardly any action here, yes that's right, this is no 'Lethal Weapon' topper. One gun fight mid way through, a few punch ups and a so so finale and that's your lot, very disappointed there I was. The plot is a rehash of...well just about any and every prison/action flick you've ever seen, the main difference here is the setting. A huge prison set up like a small shanty town where criminals are able to serve time with their families including kids!, buy drugs, drink, own guns, use women, have anyone come and see them, go to bars etc...basically an inmate run facility where money talks. At first I thought this was nonsense of Gibson's creation but it turns out there was an actual prison facility like this in Mexico, it was known as 'criminal university' and this does make the film more interesting...almost.

I read somewhere that this film was actually suppose to be an indirect sequel to Gibson's 1999 action film 'Payback'. Apparently the main character in 'Gringo' is suppose to be 'Porter' from 'Payback' but simply in a different story, no connections to 'Payback' in any way, just a new adventure if you will. This new film does play out like 'PB' with Gibson's narration, the way he uses people and the fact he is a badguy again.

Low down scummy, gritty, dirty and seedy, you can virtually smell the sweaty under stains. Well made with good camera work giving a more realistic feel (but not shaky handheld cam), many Spanish speaking actors equalling subs which makes the film feel more grown up and Gibson grunting his way through it all perfectly but in my opinion its not a good film.
Very average swinging towards slightly boring if you ask me, I didn't care about any of the characters, there's no real info or back story on anyone including Gibson's character, the 'action' is subdued and sparse and its all very cliched. To be honest the heist we see Gibson tearing away from at the start looked more interesting than what happened after, why is this so hyped?

Post #: 9
RE: - 14/5/2012 8:12:00 PM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: PuffinParty

no one wants to see this right wing waste of skin cavorting around in his fascist-undertones movies anymore

Why should his off screen antics put people off seeing this?
I will see it and judge if its any good based on the film not the stars off screen behaviour and people like you trying to force their opinion on everyonr else need to grow up!

(in reply to PuffinParty)
Post #: 10
Mel back on Form - 16/5/2012 9:56:11 AM   
Li4mC

Given the recent bad media that surrounded Mel Gibson and the few unsatisfying movie that he released, Mel Gibson returns and is back on form as the Mel we all know and love.

The Film i found entertaining but i didn't think it was fantastic. There was plenty of laughs and some very good acting.

If you're a fan of any of Mel Gibson previous films then this is definitely worth a watch.

FOR FANS OF:
Maverick (1994)
Lethal Weapon Series (1987-1998)
Payback (1999)

Post #: 11
It's aiiight - 21/5/2012 11:03:13 PM   
tysmuse

Despite being, in the words of the late great Christopher Hitchens, an "Australian fascist and ham actor", Mel is still enjoyable when he's in this sort of mood.

Post #: 12
great fun - 20/8/2012 6:49:21 PM   
mclane1

i reallly liked this. very similar to Gibson in payback, all throaty and dry witted. interesting backdrop with the mexican prison, a highly enjoyable crime caper, with heart.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> How I Spent My Summer Vacation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI