Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:02:11 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Let's play, "count how many films from the 90s appear in my list lower than last time"...

274. Forrest Gump

I feel so many film reviews need to start on the defensive, a la Cars. But you know what, so there's a questionable conservatism at play in this film, and people find a lot of what it says distasteful, and it may be saccharine and obvious, and Hanks was clearly going for the Oscar again with his performance, and there's lots of moments where you have to say, "re...really?" but SUE ME I LIKE THIS FILM. It doesn't mean I subscribe to the politics at play, in much the same way that liking Henry means I'm going to go out and kill people, or liking Citizen Kane means I'm going to and buy out a newspaper. I like the story as it's presented, and I like its meandering Picaresque style.

Ok, that was a little defensive...

273. Zodiac

Until this year, David Fincher hadn't put a foot wrong. Alien 3 has merit, despite what he and anyone else says, Panic Room and The Game are fine thrillers. And I do like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Zodiac was arguably the first of his films that polarised viewers, either loving or hating it. People were frustrated by the ending, not quite understanding the story being told, not enjoying the journey but instead focusing blindly on the destination. It's a fascinating story, and there's a fascinating story behind it, on Fincher's obsession with the Zodiac story itself. Tony Stark and Bruce Banner play nicely against Donnie Darko, to create arguably Fincher's most mature film. He forgoes the excessive violence of Se7en, and the playful juvenility of Fight Club and crafts a film that is deeply satisfying.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 91
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:04:38 PM   
MovieAddict247

Zodiac is absolutely amazing.

Forrest Gump is not.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

Post #: 92
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:05:31 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Oh yeah - that's got to feature in the final double bill top 3. 

A list of top double bills from my top 300 list?

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 93
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:07:42 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Kiki - Very good.

Forrest Gump - Ugh. I'd love to see what Gilliam would have done with this (as was originally mooted allegedly)

Zodiac - Ace.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 26/4/2012 7:08:15 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 94
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:18:17 PM   
homersimpson_esq

It's another DISTURBING FILM / LOVELY ANIMATION double bill, apparently...

272. Requiem for a Dream

Darren Aronofsky's second feature, after the rather excellent , Requiem for a Dream is a somewhat disturbing tale of multi-generational drug abuse which is astonishing for a number of reasons. 1) It was lambasted for glorifying drug use - probably by the Daily Mail - despite showing drug abuse to be horrible and debilitating beyond belief. 2) That scene near the end involving Jennifer Connolly, another actress, and, well, yes. 3) Teasing a good performance out of ___ Movie alumnus Marlon Wayans. It is not a film you would necessarily watch many times, but it should be prescribed viewing for children as a morality tale against drug abuse. Harrowing.

271. The Incredibles

Hey look, it's that film everyone was talking about earlier. I love Bond, and this does a neat mix of 60s styling, early superhero ideals, and Bond action and music. It neatly dissects the genre while being always respectful. Homages should be this good all the time. Edna Mode is a brilliant character, but the family unit works so well together. Like The Simpsons, they are mislabelled as dysfunctional, when actually they are an exceptionally cohesive unit, as seen in the conclusion. Earl does a grand job as the villain - "you sly dog, you got me monologuing!" - and Sam Jackson's marital woes get me every time.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 95
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:27:03 PM   
rawlinson

What I like about the way you're double-billing these choices is it gives wonderful crossover potential. Like what if The Incredibles had all been addicts? What if Forrest Gump had been killed by Zodiac?

Post #: 96
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:27:42 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Requiem for a Dream is a great film, The Incredibles is not.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 97
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:28:22 PM   
matty_b

Henry is unbelievably dark, and brilliant with it.

Forrest Gump...well, I'd like him to bump into Henry one day. I'd definitely watch that.

Zodiac is a masterpiece.

Requiem for a Dream always leaves me cold. Burstyn is great, though.

The Incredibles is a lot of fun.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 98
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:28:35 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

What I like about the way you're double-billing these choices is it gives wonderful crossover potential. Like what if The Incredibles had all been addicts? What if Forrest Gump had been killed by Zodiac?

It would have improved both films by at least 800%.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 26/4/2012 7:33:01 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 99
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:29:23 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Oh yeah - that's got to feature in the final double bill top 3. 

A list of top double bills from my top 300 list?

Yup. Or did you say that? Sorry - the image isn't showing for me.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 100
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:29:52 PM   
homersimpson_esq

OK, when I compiled this list, honestly I did not try for disturbing/animation double bills. I did naht!

270. Videodrome

Ah, Cronenberg, how I adore your early body horror. Deliciously vile, wonderfully icky. Your return to the style will be much anticipated. In this early film, James Woods is Max Renn, a TV channel owner on the lookout for the next big thing. What he discovers is more disturbing than he might have wished... Somewhat relevant in this age when there is a sad glut of reality TV shows, this is a great cheap thrill.

269. The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book is one of those films that pretty much everyone watches as a child, but rarely returns to. So many children's films have a line for adults to follow too, whereas there is something joyously innocent about the true child's film. Sure, there's the Louis Armstrong bit which might have passed the young'uns by, but by and large, The Jungle Book is for children, and the better for it. This is entertainment aimed at children, but done exceptionally well. The soundtrack is excellent, the songs eternally memorable. ("Forget about your worries and your wife." That's what I always heard anyway.)

(And at least I didn't have this film paired with The Naked Lunch - that would have made a curious Burroughs double bill... )

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 101
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:30:53 PM   
matty_b

Two great choices there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 102
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:31:57 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I actually enjoy The Jungle Book more now than I did when I was a kid. I used to think it was boring whereas now I at least enjoy the music.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 26/4/2012 7:34:06 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 103
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:32:38 PM   
rawlinson

I know I keep pimping these podcasts, but anyone who likes Rooker should check out his performances on Doug Loves Movies. Seems a great guy, but when you're asked to guess a film you appeared in, are given the year it was made and several members of the cast list, and you still can't get it, you're either a stoner or a stoner.

Post #: 104
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:41:34 PM   
homersimpson_esq

268. Week End

Perhaps not graphically violent, but still nevertheless disturbing on a sociological level, Godard's dissection of consumerism and the bourgeoisie is a fascinating film. Noted for the infamous tracking shot along the traffic, it is more than a one-trick pony. Godard in later years seemed to disappear up his own fundament, but here he is particularly blistering, in a wry sort of way.

267. My Neighbour Totoro

The film that turned my children to Studio Ghibli, this is a wonderful, innocent, beautiful film that I have seen countless times, and would gladly watch a thousand times more. It has no evil, no malice, no dissension, nor threats. It is pure joy, drawn with such love and affection, it is difficult not to be moved by it.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 105
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:46:23 PM   
rawlinson

I still say Weekend was influenced by Two Tars.

Post #: 106
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:48:43 PM   
nomimalone

I'm just catching up with this thread. Some great choices here Homer. I particularly like the idea of a Requiem for a Dream/Incredibles double bill. (Unrelated, have you seen Toy Story Requiem?)

Post #: 107
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 7:55:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Totoro is amazing. I've seen it easily 15-20 times this year (same with Arrietty) and I've really enjoyed it each time.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 108
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 9:09:01 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I know I keep pimping these podcasts, but anyone who likes Rooker should check out his performances on Doug Loves Movies. Seems a great guy, but when you're asked to guess a film you appeared in, are given the year it was made and several members of the cast list, and you still can't get it, you're either a stoner or a stoner.

Wait, are you talking about Michael Rooker? I've been looking through the DLM website and can't find any episodes with him listed as the guest. Do you have a link?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Right and wrong in the same sentence. Amazing.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 109
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 266, 265 - 26/4/2012 9:09:12 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Stop the presses, it's a pair of films that might actually work as a genuine double bill. Kinda. They're both comedies, at least.

266. In The Loop

Unlike Serenity, I watched this film before seeing an episode of the series from which it spun off. But then, it's much more of a standalone beast. Brits and Americans deal with politics in different ways: we tend to satirise, they tend to idolise. Which is how we get series like The Thick of It or Have I Got News For You, and they get series like The West Wing. In The Loop takes the British tendency towards satire and plonks it in the middle of American politics. The resulting clash is spectacular.

265. Ghostbusters

A comedy blockbuster, and you don't get many of those to the pound. This sees Bill Murray near the top of his game, alongside Dan Aykroyd near the top of his. The premise is bonkers: scientists use boxes to trap spirits, but as a business venture. Perfect timing, a sharp script, and some memorable casting ("Yes, it's true, this man has no dick") combine to make this a seminal classic. They came, they saw, they kicked its ass.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 110
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 266, 265 - 26/4/2012 9:15:45 PM   
MonsterCat

In the Loop - Usually I don't dig films based on TV shows, but this is a really good.

Ghostbusters - Your a bitch if you don't like this.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 111
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 266, 265 - 26/4/2012 9:17:29 PM   
Rebel scum

Serenity-Good, but nothing mind-blowing, though I haven't seen Firefly
Lilo and Stitch-I've seen, but remember nothing of
Henry-Brilliant, but bleak as hell. The leads should all have been up for Oscars
Zodiac-Great, great movie, just missed out on my top 100
Requiem for a Dream-Brilliant
The Incredibles-Not one of my favourite Pixars, but still great fun
Videodrome-Really good
The Jungle Book-Has George Sanders as the villain, and thus is perfect
My Neighbour Totoro-One of Ghibli's best
In the Loop-Loses major steam when Tucker's not onscreen, but still a great comedy
Ghostbusters-A classic for a reason

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 112
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 266, 265 - 26/4/2012 9:22:30 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

In the Loop - Usually I don't dig films based on TV shows, but this is a really good.

Yeah, agreed. Second half is maybe not as hysterically funny (or dramatically tight) as the first, but it's a very good film.

quote:

Ghostbusters - Your a bitch if you don't like this.

I'm a bitch anyway, but it is amazing.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 113
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 264, 263 - 26/4/2012 9:32:27 PM   
homersimpson_esq

264. Up

After WallE it would have been easy to talk down the next Pixar film. WallE was so good, anything would look bad by comparison. Instead, they gave us Up. It has been said many times, but bears repeating, but the opening ten minutes of Up has more heart and soul, and emotion and energy than many, many entire films. It manages to convey so much pain and loss without any words at all. It paints an entire lifetime shared in such a condensed time period. It is truly an exceptional piece of film-making. If that montage were an entire short film, it would be one of my very favourites.

But the film continues and, arguably, it never quite reaches those heights again (although I dare you, I DOUBLE DARE YOU, to have a dry eye during the book scene at the end). But it has a talking dog. A talking dog! Genius.

263. Star Trek (2009)

In the evergreen Trek V Wars debate, Trek wins for me every time. That it remained the refuge of the uber-geek, when Star Wars became mainstream was a confusing mix of pride and frustration. As The Next Generation crew slowly killed the film franchise, and Enterprise killed the TV franchise, it seemed like all was lost. But then JJ Abrams came along and decided to not only reboot the original series cast - the most difficult Trek series for Joe Public to swallow, but arguably the best after all - but also make it cool. Let's just stop and digest that for a moment. JJ Abrams made Star Trek cool. As the kids with their Interwebs say these days, "da fuq?"

Star Trek has never been so accessible. And yet, when that word is used it is often in the pejorative sense, playing to the lowest common denominator. Here the film manages to mix genuine action beats that everyone can enjoy with knowing winks for the die hard fan - Kirk's allergies, the Kobayashi Maru test, to name but two. By re-writing history, future history to quote the Doc, Abrams has made a bold move but one which, by and large, managed to satisfy regular folk, and Trek fans as well. George Lucas: this is how it is done.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 114
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 9:41:40 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Right and wrong in the same sentence. Amazing.

You don't like Requiem?

In The Loop is brilliant, it never quite hits the heights of The Thick of It but it's great fun regardless.

Ghostbusters - Amazing.

Up - Astounding.

Star Trek - I've never been a fan of Trek and didn't enjoy any of the original films that I watched (that includes Wrath of Khan) but I thought this was great fun.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 115
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 264, 263 - 26/4/2012 9:43:16 PM   
elab49

I scrolled down too quickly last time I clicked in - why is picaresque capitalised? Also, the blatant come-on to Gimli is getting embarrassing, even if you do mix in the odd Ghibli to pretend you're not.

This isn't a weird double-bill so much as the sublime to the ridiculous. Up - absolutely, Dug and pretending not to cry. Star Trek - meh.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 116
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 264, 263 - 26/4/2012 9:45:59 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I reckon I was thinking of the Decemberists album, Picaresque. That's my excuse. No reason other than that!

The love affair with Gimli will end soon enough.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 117
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 264, 263 - 26/4/2012 9:50:50 PM   
homersimpson_esq

262. The Lord of the Rings

Perhaps the most shocking drop in numbers is this. When I rewatched it the year before last, it had somehow lost its charm and seemed dull and trite. The question of which is better, LOTR or ED has been answered, and Gimli won't like the answer. Samwise is annoying, Frodo is not much better, and it takes an age to get going, and then even longer to finally finish. I gave up with the books half way through the second one, and I wonder that I managed to watch these to the end so many times. Goodness how times change. Also, in case it wasn't obvious this is a total wind up, just to see how far Gimli can actually read before the tears in his/her eyes blur the screen too much and prevent him/her from reading this far. Still, it was fun to do.  I figure, now wherever I put LOTR, it's going to be better than down here.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 118
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 264, 263 - 26/4/2012 9:55:54 PM   
elab49

*sniff*

Such a bad break-up. We may have to choose sides.

I'd go with the person who doesn't have LOTR under the 250 mark, probably. Although kudos on the common sense approach of a single entry. #261 is awaited with deep interest.

quote:

Post #: 119
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 9:56:29 PM   
paul_ie86

Forest Gump - meh
Zodiac - good
Requiem for a Dream - incredible
The Incredibles - my least favourite Pixar.
Week End - interesting film
In The Loop - didn't take to it as much as others did, but it's still funny.
Up - great
Star Trek - good

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI