Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 25/4/2012 7:44:47 PM   
rawlinson

I heard that Cars 3: Mater Goes to Lockup, is taking inspiration from Irreversible, so good match.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 61
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 25/4/2012 7:58:56 PM   
homersimpson_esq

284. Tabu

I'm not convinced this has dropped 183 places, nor that I've watched 183 new films that would place so highly in the last 4 years. Nevertheless, here it is, last time's #99. (Independence Day, incidentally, does not appear in this list. Sadface.) One of Murnau's lesser known films Tabu takes place, almost entirely without intertitles, on a South Sea Island. It's a beautiful film, and really shows that silent cinema is really a beast in its own right: wordlessness is a special kind of communication, and Tabu gets so much across through visuals alone. Quietly spectacular.

283. Pan's Labyrinth

Ah, Guillermo del Toro. We so very nearly had his vision of Middle Earth. A visionary director, even a dull del Toro film is better than many. Pan's Labyrinth fuses the horrific with the fantastic, pitting a child's fantasy against the very real horrors of the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War. Fantasy is an escapist genre and it is easy to neglect the idea that there needs to be something from which to escape. The inventiveness of storytelling, the beauty of the film, the contrasting gore and death, and the childlike way it is all told combine beautifully to create a compelling and memorable film.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 62
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 25/4/2012 8:18:12 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

elab's suggestion that these pairs work as bizarro double bills means that this pairing is a particularly horrifying prospect for her...

Difficult to decide which I like least

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 63
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 25/4/2012 8:30:13 PM   
Rebel scum

I love Pan's Labyrinth, it's possibly my favourite foreign-language film.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 64
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 25/4/2012 8:35:15 PM   
matty_b

Pan's Labyrinth is superb.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 65
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 282, 281 - 26/4/2012 12:22:32 AM   
homersimpson_esq

282. Leon

These days Jean Reno is doing criminally little, Gary Oldman has become everyone's favourite animagus, and Natalie Portman has become "Academy Award Winner Natalie Portman, you know, her off Star Wars". But back in 1994, Jean Reno was the effortlessly cool French assassin, Gary Oldman was plying his trade as Hollywood's favourite bad guy (cf Lost in Space, Air Force One, etc) and Natalie Portman was a kid who struck gold.

Leon is a bizarre mix of great action sequences, orphans, and an oddly endearing friendship that errs just this side of questionable. After her family is murdered, Matilda (Portman) finds the nearest person she can to help her. This person just happens to be a socially-backward master assassin (Reno). Testing the waters of exactly what needs to happen - Leon is as uncertain as Matilda is - he grudgingly shows her how to become an assassin herself. On paper, one wonders how it works, but it does. Brilliantly well. Much rests on the chemistry between the leads, and the young Portman shows the potential that would come some years later.

281. Dark Star

Before The Thing, before Alien, there was Dark Star. Carpenter's student film was expanded into this micro-budget scifi comedy about a lonely crew on a ship, who roam the galaxy, apparently destroying things. Nods to 2001 A Space Odyssey - the talking bomb - are always welcome for me, and the humour is so deadpan, it can almost be missed. The essence of one sequence in this film would be further expanded into a feature, shorn of all comedy, and renamed Star Beast. After realising that was a very silly title, it was renamed Alien.

But the legacy of this film should not rest solely on the achievements yet to come of its key creative force. It's a brilliant piece of film-making in its own right. And if it looks rough around the edges, that's a budgetary consideration, and doesn't impact on the film itself. If anything, it adds to the charm of the film.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 66
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 5:46:55 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Cars. Fantastic! Nice to know not everyone hates it! I like the opening lines of the review

Irreversible's not bad, but I remember watching it and not really thinking it was all that troublesome. Around the same time I also saw Man Bites Dog and Baise Moi, both of which I found more disturbing.

Leon's good, Pan's Labyrinth I like but wish they didn't give the end away at the very beginning and Dark Star is the best thing Carpenter's ever done.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 67
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 8:35:48 AM   
matty_b

Leon is great.

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 68
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 280, 279 - 26/4/2012 1:09:06 PM   
homersimpson_esq

280. South Park The Movie: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

Back in 1999, when I was but a fresh, young 18 year old, I was a big fan of the latest, foul-mouthed, definitely-not-for-children (but really, it is, cos, y'know, kids love swearing) animation. The film is everything you want from this kind of humour, and more. It is the film that The Simpsons Movie wishes it could have been. It perfectly reflects the humour of the genesis series, while taking it to the next logical level. And adding songs. Amazing, piss-taking songs. Pastiche of "Oklahoma!" in "Uncle Fucker", a repeat of Cartman's classic Kyle's Mom's A Bitch (She's A Big Fat Bitch), and a loving medley homage to the music of Les Miserables, with La Resistance.

A bizarre love storyline between Satan and Saddam Hussein, a superb acceleration to war against Canada of all people, and some of the finest swearing set to film, South Park is a phenomenal film and, significantly after 13 years, still holds up.

279. Shaun of the Dead

Whether one is a zombie film aficionado or not, Shaun of the Dead is endlessly enjoyable. While it riffs on the classic zombie film beats, while also subverting them, it also works as a film in its own right, not solely as a referential beast. The key here is characterisation. You feel for Shaun and his friends and family so that, when the comedy bleeds slowly into outright horror, it is affecting, and rightly so. Comedy horrors often excel at the former but skimp on the latter. This manages both, and is a rightly a classic because of it.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 69
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 280, 279 - 26/4/2012 1:11:20 PM   
Rebel scum

Two great choices there.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 70
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 278, 277 - 26/4/2012 1:25:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

278. Serenity

With Cabin in the Woods and Avengers Assemble currently in the cinemas, has Joss Whedon finally made the leap from cult favourite to more widely-known personage? From script-doctoring (with questionable results, frogs and lightning come to mind) to early hits Buffy and Angel, Whedon carved out a niche in slyly knowing characters who embrace their inner geek, and know fine well what they're doing. With Firefly the problems have been well-documented but, needless to say, fans who were on board from the start were unhappy. So, in 2005, Whedon wrapped up the hanging story left by the early cancellation of the series with a feature film. A film that works in its own right but, naturally, delivers so much more with knowledge of the series that precedes it.

Serenity follows the crew of the Firefly class spaceship, um, Serenity, as they dodge authorities on their less-than-legal missions, which involved transporting A CRAZY GIRL across space. Whedon's trademark wit and sharp dialogue is much in evidence, and he manages to bring humour and thrills together wonderfully. Watch this, but watch Firefly first.

277. Lilo and Stitch

One that slipped under the radar, Lilo and Stitch is a genuinely great story. A simple tale of an escaped alien experiment who masquerades as the pet of a young Hawaiian girl who lives with her older sister, and who then has to hide from intergalactic forces as they come to Earth to find him, You know, that old nugget. But the relationship between Stitch - crazy blue alien with a mean temperament and a natural curiosity - and Lilo - Elvis-loving orphan - is exceptionally endearing. It is the core of the film, and everything is better because of how well it works. If you've missed it, grab your nearest nephew or niece and give it a spin.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 71
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 278, 277 - 26/4/2012 1:27:53 PM   
elab49

I like Lilo and Stitch. Stitch trashing cities is just so Calvin and Hobbes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 72
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 278, 277 - 26/4/2012 1:40:44 PM   
garvielloken

Some great choices so far Homer. Irreversible, Pan's Labyrinth, Dark Star, Leon and The Straight Story are all top quality. Cars and Flight Of The Navigator are terrible though. Navigator was a childhood favourite of mine but can't stand it nowadays. Nice to see Star Trek 6 there too. Such an underrated film.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 73
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 1:42:27 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Pan's Labyrinth - Amazing, my favourite Del Toro film by quite a bit (not watched Devil's Backbone yet)

Leon - Meh. I don't hate it or anything I'm ambivalent towards it.

South Park - Not as good as Team America but very funny nonetheless

Shaun of the Dead - Terrific. This would probably get into my top 25

Serenity - Very good. I watched it before seeing Firefly. I'm due for a rewatch of both series and film I think.

Lilo & Stitch - Alright. Lilo's sister's legs are incredibly distracting though. Her thighs have been drawn wider than her shoulders.

Cars - I really like this but I disagree with the review, The Incredibles is clearly the worst film Pixar made BC2.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 74
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 1:50:11 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Cars - I really like this but I disagree with the review, The Incredibles is clearly the worst film Pixar made BC2.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 75
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 1:52:26 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

I think it's incredibly dull and would never watch it of my own accord again. Not only was it the worst Pixar film pre Cars 2 but it was also their first poor film full stop IMO.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 76
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 2:11:39 PM   
garvielloken

Before I came on this forum I always assumed that The Incredibles was universally loved. It seems a lot of forumites here don't love it. For me only Wall-E, Monsters Inc, and Toy Story are better. Haven't seen Up! yet though.

Post #: 77
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 2:16:59 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Up! is amazing, probably my favourite Pixar along with Wall-E and Toy Story 2. I'm actually being a bit harsh calling The Incredibles a poor film although it's definitely sub-par IMO.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 78
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 2:18:19 PM   
elab49

I'm not quite as bad as Harry, but I don't rate it all that highly. Very little of it amuses me - first watch only Jackson's costume disappearing to the dry cleaner brought a smile to my face and some of Edna Mode. 

quote:

Post #: 79
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 2:18:55 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

284. Tabu

I'm not convinced this has dropped 183 places, nor that I've watched 183 new films that would place so highly in the last 4 years. Nevertheless, here it is, last time's #99. (Independence Day, incidentally, does not appear in this list. Sadface.) One of Murnau's lesser known films Tabu takes place, almost entirely without intertitles, on a South Sea Island. It's a beautiful film, and really shows that silent cinema is really a beast in its own right: wordlessness is a special kind of communication, and Tabu gets so much across through visuals alone. Quietly spectacular.

Sounds fantastic. I've got it to watch from LoveFilm this weekend. I was supposed to watch it on Tuesday, but they sent me a Matt Damon film on Bluray by mistake.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 80
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 2:20:24 PM   
rick_7

quote:

Up! is amazing, probably my favourite Pixar along with Wall-E and Toy Story 2.

... and Monsters, Inc.?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 81
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 2:25:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

Up! is amazing, probably my favourite Pixar along with Wall-E and Toy Story 2.

... and Monsters, Inc.?

Monsters Inc is top tier Pixar along with Finding Nemo and the other 2 Toy Story films IMO but if I was to choose only 3 Pixar films I could watch again it'd be the 3 in the above post.

quote:

first watch only Jackson's costume disappearing to the dry cleaner brought a smile to my face and some of Edna Mode

Yeah, take out those 2 characters and there's not a lot left to like.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 26/4/2012 2:26:48 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 82
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 3:45:53 PM   
matty_b

I've watched Shaun of the Dead countless times and it's never lost anything. Performances are spot on, the script is layered in a really clever way and the balance between horror, comedy and pathos is perfect - it really feels like Wright thought this might be the only film he'll ever make so he made sure not one second of it is wasted, out of place or below par.

quote:

Post #: 83
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 4:28:03 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I've watched Shaun of the Dead countless times and it's never lost anything. Performances are spot on, the script is layered in a really clever way and the balance between horror, comedy and pathos is perfect - it really feels like Wright thought this might be the only film he'll ever make so he made sure not one second of it is wasted, out of place or below par.

Agreed.

I think the scene where they plan out the day's eating and drinking arrangements, inadvertently plotting exactly how the film is going to pan out is absolute genius.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 84
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 4:41:49 PM   
matty_b

"And then back for some shots at the bar!"

quote:

Post #: 85
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 6:25:21 PM   
paul_ie86

Pans Labyrinth - Good, yeah.
Leon - Good
South Park - Brilliant
Shaun of the Dead - good.
Serenity - Watched this right after finishing Firefly, it didn't measure up to the series at all for me.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 26/4/2012 6:27:34 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 86
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 - 26/4/2012 6:39:49 PM   
Rebenectomy

Love Lilo and Stitch:

Lilo: Every Thursday I take Pudge the fish a peanut butter sandwich...And today we were out of peanut butter. So I asked my sister what to give him and she said a tuna sandwich! I can't give Pudge tuna! [whispers] Do you know what tuna is?
Dance Instructor: Fish?
Lilo: It's FISH! If I gave Pudge tuna, I'd be an abomination!!

Just wonderfully bonkers in places.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 87
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 6:48:28 PM   
homersimpson_esq

276. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

I often say that there are few films that out and out scare me. I followed Bart Simpson's advice and have dutifully become desensitised. Henry, however, is a brutal little film that is more horrifying than almost any other film I've seen. There is not an excess of gore, or blood (though there is violence). Nor are there any demons, or zombies, or other supernatural beings. Instead, there is Michael Rooker portraying a man who travels the country killing people. He has no reason, no method, no deep psychological scarring to explain his motives. There is no backstory to his monstrosity, nor explanation to what caused him to do the things he does. He just does it. And that makes my blood run cold. There is no way to reason with him, there is no humanity at play. He just kills people. It is a searing film, low budget, brutal, and deeply disturbing.

275. Kiki's Delivery Service

Another classic Homer double bill, what better to cleanse the palette after the brutality of Henry, than with an adorable feature from Ghibli. It is testament to the dual role witches play in our cultural consciousness that a being so long associated with evil is here given a far more positive bent, as Kiki a young witch embarks upon a trial of independence which, as any good student knows, must be supported by part-time employment. It's a charming piece from the master of Japanese animation, Hayao Miyazaki. It's not his strongest film - I feel I'm giving hints to films yet to come, if it weren't so obvious anyway - but it's one that seems to be oft-overlooked.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 88
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 6:54:17 PM   
garvielloken

Michael Rooker should've won an oscar for that performance. Amazing film.

Good choice with Kiki.

Post #: 89
RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 276, 275 - 26/4/2012 6:54:39 PM   
elab49

Oh yeah - that's got to feature in the final double bill top 3. 

quote:

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. 286, 285 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI