Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 187. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: 187. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 187. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 9/8/2012 3:33:29 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Your mum was average with a couple of great scenes.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 631
RE: 187. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 9/8/2012 3:35:36 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah, well, your mum was rubbish.

Start to finish.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 9/8/2012 3:36:04 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 632
RE: 187. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 9/8/2012 4:29:09 PM   
homersimpson_esq

She said the start to finish wasn't that long anyway. More Bolt than Farah.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 633
RE: 187. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 9/8/2012 4:35:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

You have a strange relationship with your mum

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 634
RE: 187. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 9/8/2012 4:47:04 PM   
impqueen

You meant William Powell, right?

Lovely to see the inclusion of The Great Ziegfeld and a wonderful write up too, it's a fantastic film.

Yes, always.

Post #: 635
RE: 187. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 9/8/2012 5:09:24 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

You meant William Powell, right?

Lovely to see the inclusion of The Great Ziegfeld and a wonderful write up too, it's a fantastic film.

That's what I said, William Powell.

Thanks, it's a wonderful, wonderful film.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 636
184. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 13/8/2012 9:40:44 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Tilda Swinton, until recently, was not an actress with whom I had really had much knowledge. A part in Boyle’s misfire The Beach didn’t help. But upon seeing this transformative film three years ago, I was completely hooked on her.

Luca Guadagnino’s film was long-gestating, and with Swinton long-cast as the main character. She plays [character] a Russian immigrant matriarch of a Milanese family. This is a world away from the Sicilian families of The Godfather and The Leopard. This family is independently wealthy and, as far as the world knows, happy. The son, Edo, has a new girlfriend who he brings to his grandfather’s birthday party meal. The daughter [character] is branching out into new worlds of art expression (photography not painting) and sexual preference (girls, not boys). Edo has recently been bested in a race by a local chef who drops by with a cake by way of apology, and meets Swinton’s character. When the grandfather decides to leave the family business not only to his son, but also to Edo, concern spreads about the wisdom of this decision.

But, arguably, the film isn’t about any of this. Almost disassociated from the goings on of her family is Swinton. With no career of her own, she drifts, caring for her family, overseeing the big festal occasions, and becoming unnaturally interested in the chef. The chance encounter turns into another more “chance” encounter, entirely engineered by [character]. Therein begins an organic love affair, that intertwines with her daughter’s sexual revelations and her son’s business aims.

But, arguably, the film isn’t about any of this. It’s a poem of a film, A picture, an expression, a work of art. It is beauty on celluloid in both visuals [cinematographer] and music. John Adams’ music, used in extract here, is potent and intoxicating. The entire filmic impression is of the heaviness of a summer’s day that is thunder-expectant. It is bright and muggy, beautiful and oppressive. There is power in image and music that is bewitching by its very impermanence. It is impassive, and impressive.

There are films which take some time to worm their way into your heart, almost like some virus. And there are some which stamp themselves onto your heart with such immediacy it takes your breath away. I Am Love is one of the latter, and is one of a very select number of films from the last few years to make an appearance on my favourite films of all time list.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 637
RE: 184. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 9:35:36 AM   
homersimpson_esq

No fans of I Am Love?

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 638
RE: 184. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 9:47:11 AM   
impqueen

It’s a beautiful looking film and though it finished outside my Top 100 in 2010, I did like it but it needs a re-watch methinks.

Yes, always.

Post #: 639
RE: 184. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 9:52:04 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

No fans of I Am Love?

Haven't see I Am Love, but Heat is a majestic film. arguably Mann's best film and DeNiro's last great performance. Pacino's not bad either.

"She's gotta... GREAT ASS!"

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 640
RE: 184. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 10:00:41 AM   
impqueen

Have you seen Julia (2008)? I only ask because it's one of my favourite Swinton performances.

Yes, always.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 641
RE: 184. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 10:02:06 AM   
MonsterCat

Who, me? Nope.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 642
RE: 184. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 10:07:05 AM   
impqueen

Anyone really though mostly Homer.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HOMER
Tilda Swinton, until recently, was not an actress with whom I had really had much knowledge. A part in Boyle’s misfire The Beach didn’t help. But upon seeing this transformative film three years ago, I was completely hooked on her.

Julia doesn’t get mentioned a lot …

Yes, always.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 643
RE: 184. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 10:20:39 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I haven't seen it, no. I'll add it to the ridiculously long list of things to watch.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 644
183. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 9:02:28 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Five Reasons I Love Ran
  1. It’s an adaptation of my favourite Shakespeare play, King Lear.
  2. Kurosawa’s style has always been supremely visual – here we finally see that vision perfected in colour (Kagemusha is no bad film either, mind)
  3. Kurosawa had been neglected, forgotten, until some American film-makers sought him out and funded some more films from the master. If THX is George Lucas’s greatest technological achievement, then this is his greatest creative decision: to return to the film world a forgotten master.
  4. It is an epic length film – three hours – yet it flies by. If you’re going to make a long film, this is important.
  5. Feudal Japan is a fascinating environs for a film-making, and one that Kurosawa would return to time and again for some of his great films. This was his great return to the place he knew so well.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 645
RE: 183. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 9:30:08 PM   
garvielloken

Ran is fantastic. Top 3 Kurosawa for me.

SPOILERS:

The castle burning scene is still one of the most astonishing things in cinema, even more so because Nakadai had to nail the fleeing of the castle in one take.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 646
RE: 183. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 9:58:06 PM   
Rebel scum

Ran is by far my favourite Kurosawa, amazing film.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 647
RE: 183. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 14/8/2012 10:34:22 PM   
homersimpson_esq

SPOILERS

It's not my favourite Kurosawa.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 648
RE: 183. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 15/8/2012 2:49:21 AM   
rawlinson

You're still going to vote for it in HoF though, right? Ol buddy, ol' pal, ol' friend o' mine?

Post #: 649
RE: 183. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 15/8/2012 2:39:37 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Ran is by far my favourite Kurosawa, amazing film.

Me too!

I am Love leaves me cold it just felt more like a art instoration than a film.

Good call on Julia its a great film and maybe Tilda's best performance ever althrough there have been many WNTTAK would also run it close.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 650
182. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 10:59:43 AM   
homersimpson_esq

5 Reasons I Love Blue Velvet
  1. The title song.
  2. The way it inverts the American dream.
  3. The bits where you go “wtf”. (All of it.)
  4. Dennis Hopper: the single scariest thing in a mask, bar none.
  5. It was the first film that I changed my opinion on completely after a rewatch. As such, it demonstrated far more clearly than someone saying, “obviously opinions change” that, obviously, opinions change. That paved the way for a far more significant about-face on film opinion from me.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 651
RE: 182. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 12:25:56 PM   
matty_b

Two great choices in Ran and Blue Velvet.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 652
RE: 182. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 1:44:59 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Cheers. I'm going to take some time at some point and make my way through Lynch's filmography. I have seen criminally few Lynch films, and there aren't that many in the first place!

The next one is going to divide people.

And by divide people I mean people on one side, and me on the other. Going to give the next one a proper review.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 653
RE: 182. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 5:29:37 PM   
paul_ie86

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 654
RE: 182. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 9:33:40 PM   
rawlinson

Forrest Gump

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 655
RE: 182. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 9:44:05 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Forrest Gump

I like Forrest Gump, but not enough to put it twice in one list. It was at #274.

It's not Avatar either.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 656
RE: 182. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 9:49:20 PM   
rawlinson

Primer? I like it, but you did get a beating for it when it was in the HoF.

Post #: 657
181. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 10:38:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Back in 1998 when I first started to get into – really get into – films, I spotted in WHSmith a book called Rebel Without A Crew, a relatively short book about how one man raised $7,000 through various questionable means, to finance his debut film. That man was Robert Rodriguez, and the film was El Mariachi. It was a great intro to budget film-making, and an introduction to something else to a new besotted film fan. From there, I sought out Rodriguez’s other early films, From Dusk Til Dawn, The Faculty, etc, and in so doing came across Quentin Tarantino. Now, of course I had heard of him – my brother had his first two films, and a sort of mythos had built up around them – and his third film, Jackie Brown, was just available on home video. But this connected him to other filmmakers, and it sort of fitted pieces together in my head. Since then, I became a fan of both Tarantino and Rodriguez.

Skip forward 10 years, and the news that they were to collaborate on an ambitious joint project was mouthwatering. An homage to the grindhouse flicks of the 70s – admittedly not something I was familiar with – it seemed to tick all the right boxes. It looked to be fun, light, violent, and huge entertainment. But somebody questioned it, because the thought of three hours and two films was thought to be too much for audiences. Ignoring that that’s what audiences had for decades when cinema was born, modern audiences were unaccustomed to it. So, it was decided to split the two films into their constituent parts, as was never intended. To counteract this, slightly longer cuts were edited, to make them full film length. I was mortified. I probably said lots of typical angry things on the Internet in 2007 about it.

But a year later, after the disappointing response to the two films, some cinema chains decided to hold one-off special late night screenings of Grindhouse, as originally intended. Since I had completely ignored the cinematic releases of the constituent parts, I wasn’t missing out on the opportunity to see the proper film.

And that is what makes this list. Not Planet Terror. Not Death Proof. Grindhouse. The full three hour-trailer-infested-full-on-experience. It’s an entire evening’s entertainment, and if I had to make any criticism, it would be that the films are the wrong way round. Death Proof is a slower burn (YEAH, I LIKE DEATH PROOF, WHAT OF IT?) and is actually set before Planet Terror. The gorier, more off-the-wall Rodriguez film would work better as the second feature. But it’s a small issue, and I guess it harks back to the B movie / A movie mentality that the pair were trying to recreate.

In Planet Terror, Rodriguez gives his take on the zombie movie – government officials, military grunts, toxic gases, strippers, mysterious strangers, redneck sheriffs, and girls with machine guns for legs, all get thrown together in an insanely brilliant mash up that never strays into serious territory. It’s perfect popcorn fare. Rodriguez mixes up newer actors – Josh Brolin near the start of his comeback – with 80s throwbacks Michael Biehn and Jeff Fahey and bonafide megastar Bruce Willis, and comes up with something that feels timeless. He never loses the Grindhouse ethos – nearly every frame is “scratched” or damaged, and he pulls a brilliant “missing reel” trick too.

Death Proof is unfairly maligned. The longer cut is unnecessary, and makes the “talky” bits even talkier. It is essentially a film of four parts. Talk, cars, talk, cars. The shorter cut gets the balance right. We meet the girls, we connect emotionally, we see them interact with Stunt Man Mike. The longer cut tips the balance, and results in the generally negative reaction the film has. That, and Tarantino had a weight of expectation on him given the generally lower rating Kill Bill had to his preceding triptych. It’s all rather unfair, as Kurt Russell is deliciously menacing, and the cars equal stars. Which, for a film by scriptmeister Tarantino, is an achievement: he’s big on talk, not so much on action. But the action really works. Russell’s little speech about his Book is quite superb. And then Tarantino pulls his own missing reel trick by denying us the lapdance. This trick is completely missed in the longer cut…

Also missing from the non-Grindhouse version are the trailers. Rodriguez’s Machete, Rob Zombie’s Werewolf Women of the SS, Edgar Wright’s Don’t, and Eli Roth’s Thanksgiving (with the memorable trampoline moment) are inspired. That Machete and Canadian-screening trailer Hobo with a Shotgun have gone on to be actual films is irrelevant here: their intent was to improve the overall experience, and it works. The advert for local Tex Mex joint is purely there for laughs. (Although one character is seen drinking a beverage from said place in Death Proof, continuing Tarantino’s predilection for cross-film pollination (Big Kahuna Burger also gets a mention).

Tarantino and Rodriguez set out to make an experience. It was something different, something old. And it was a commercial disaster. It flopped, and the critics weren’t too enamoured either. I can’t see what people are missing: it’s a great ride, it’s huge fun, and it’s a custom-made Saturday night at the movies. Add nachos, beer, and friends, and that’s a great night’s double bill all sorted. Five years down the line, and the nature of the film means that it still holds up really well. And, after all the hoohah from Death Proof has died down, it actually really works well. I’d encourage those who were less-than-impressed on release to search out the Grindhouse version of these films to watch as intended. Not the “extended” cut, but this stripped down, essential parts cut. Because, as Grindhouse, this is an unforgettable experience.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 658
RE: 181. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 10:45:28 PM   
MonsterCat

Planet Terror - Average

Death Proof - Tedious garbage. Even if it does have M.E. Winstead in a cheerleader outfit.

The trailers in between were quite decent fun, but then again that's the format in which these grindhouse homages work best.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 659
RE: 182. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. - 18/8/2012 10:58:04 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Cheers. I'm going to take some time at some point and make my way through Lynch's filmography. I have seen criminally few Lynch films, and there aren't that many in the first place!

Dude, I would be very interested to read about your thoughts on Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

But you should watch the TV show first if you haven't seen it already.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: 187. Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films. Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI