Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

An Hour Of IMAX In Dark Knight Rises?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> An Hour Of IMAX In Dark Knight Rises? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An Hour Of IMAX In Dark Knight Rises? - 23/4/2012 10:46:26 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
As an IMAX rookie... - 23/4/2012 10:46:26 AM   
Woodland Bear

Be kind here - this article is the first news I had that IMAX-shown films weren't 100% filmed to that standard - but what does this mean for the showing itself? Is there a visible difference between the two qualities? Is it anything like the LOTR trilogy being shown (where it only fills 1/3 of the screen) flicking over to full size?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
But who will show it? - 23/4/2012 10:49:53 AM   
LadyFrampton

BFI IMAX can't because they can't project digital IMAX films, they say. HELP US, EMPIRE!

Post #: 3
But who will show it? - 23/4/2012 10:50:00 AM   
LadyFrampton

BFI IMAX can't because they can't project digital IMAX films, they say. HELP US, EMPIRE!

Post #: 4
But who will show it? - 23/4/2012 10:50:57 AM   
LadyFrampton

Post #: 5
- 23/4/2012 10:51:30 AM   
loonytoon1982

I'm sure the action scenes would be fantastic either way but considering on conventional screens this will be cropped it feels like being cheated out of the same movie. Unfortunately there are no IMAX cinemas anywhere in Ireland (North or South) so unless I leave the country there's no possible way to experience it.

Post #: 6
- 23/4/2012 10:55:31 AM   
loonytoon1982

I'm sure the action scenes would be fantastic either way but considering on conventional screens this will be cropped it feels like being cheated out of the same movie. Unfortunately there are no IMAX cinemas anywhere in Ireland (North or South) so unless I leave the country there's no possible way to experience it.

Post #: 7
BFI IMAX will show it - 23/4/2012 10:56:37 AM   
boomstick79

It's on their coming soon page and opens on 20th July -
http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_imax/coming_soon/the_dark_knight_rises_the_imax_experience

Post #: 8
Hummana-hummana-numma ... - 23/4/2012 11:15:43 AM   
Nicky C

... badair-badair-badair ... Beep! Beep! Mind lost? Check!

Post #: 9
RE: But who will show it? - 23/4/2012 11:58:51 AM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: LadyFrampton

It's not been filmed in digital IMAX though, it's full IMAX 70 so when shown at the BFI it will be in all it's ma-hoo-sive screen glory.

(in reply to LadyFrampton)
Post #: 10
RE: - 23/4/2012 12:04:02 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: loonytoon1982

I think I'm right in saying that the Dark Knight was shot using IMAX 70mm and Normal 35mm film, so the action sequences aren't cropped when shown in normal cinemas, they just have an extra dimension in IMAX. (although I'm prepared to be corrected on this if I'm incorrect).

(in reply to loonytoon1982)
Post #: 11
RE: - 23/4/2012 12:32:16 PM   
pog

There is an IMAX in Antrim, at the Junction One complex near the airport, this is where I'll be seeing it

(in reply to loonytoon1982)
Post #: 12
RE: Hummana-hummana-numma ... - 23/4/2012 1:13:50 PM   
Beckymonster

@ Ladyframton and loonytoon1982

Yes, BFI IMAX can (and will) show TDKR - they were one of four 'proper' IMAXes* (as in can show 70mm film) in the UK to show the 'extended' trailer before MI:GP over the Chrimbo break too.

I would recommend keeping an eye on the BFI twitter or their e-mails because when the tickets *do* go on sale (and I speak as someone who was happy to plunk cash down after seeing the 'extended trailer!) they will move like a very, very fast thing.

On a lighter note - that day has been booked off work and I have every intent of seeing it on that Friday. Oh yes indeed!

*If anyone wants to know where the others are - Glasgow, Bradford and I think Manchester is another?

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 13
IMAX Near Birmingham? - 23/4/2012 1:16:55 PM   
devo18uk

Since the IMAX in Birmingham is no longer at Millennium Point due to the licence not being renewed, where is the nearest IMAX where I can see this. I know Millennium Point still has the mahusive screen, but I'm not sure whether or not they'll be able to show IMAX films in their full glory?

Anyone know an answer to this?

Post #: 14
RE: IMAX Near Birmingham? - 23/4/2012 1:43:15 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: devo18uk

Since the IMAX in Birmingham is no longer at Millennium Point due to the licence not being renewed, where is the nearest IMAX where I can see this. I know Millennium Point still has the mahusive screen, but I'm not sure whether or not they'll be able to show IMAX films in their full glory?

Manchester is the nearest proper IMAX to Birmingham. The Millenium Point giant screen no longer shows full IMAX (I'm baffled as to what it will actually do other than being a big screen).

(in reply to devo18uk)
Post #: 15
IMAX Near Birmingham? - 23/4/2012 1:50:51 PM   
devo18uk

Post #: 16
RE: IMAX Near Birmingham? - 23/4/2012 2:48:17 PM   
Jaded_Parrot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

Manchester is the nearest proper IMAX to Birmingham. The Millenium Point giant screen no longer shows full IMAX (I'm baffled as to what it will actually do other than being a big screen).

Annoying isnt it!!! Wanted to see the Avengers at the IMAX!

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 17
RE: IMAX Near Birmingham? - 23/4/2012 2:59:10 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaded_Parrot

quote:

quote:

Annoying isnt it!!! Wanted to see the Avengers at the IMAX!

Tell me about it... If the managers couldn't make an IMAX profitable why do they think an inferior product will suddenly start making them a profit?!?

(in reply to Jaded_Parrot)
Post #: 18
RE: RE: - 23/4/2012 3:29:00 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: loonytoon1982

I think I'm right in saying that the Dark Knight was shot using IMAX 70mm and Normal 35mm film, so the action sequences aren't cropped when shown in normal cinemas, they just have an extra dimension in IMAX. (although I'm prepared to be corrected on this if I'm incorrect).

An IMAX negative is 70mm film run horizontally at 15 perferations per frame. It has a picture area of 70.4mm x 52.6mm: giving it an aspect ratio of about 1.33:1 (almost the same as the Academy ratio or 4:3 TVs).

The non IMAX parts were shot using 35mm film with anamorphic lenses. It has a negative area about of 22mm x 18.5mm, but the lenses used for both shooting and projecting have a 2x horizontal squeeze/unsqueeze. This means while the negative's aspect ratio is about 1.2:1, the projected ratio is nearly 2.4:1.

Obviously there will have to be some cropping somewhere. What they did with Dark Knight, and have done with all part IMAX releases since, is take the most important slice of the IMAX frame and crop anything above and below. So the standard release prints will be 2.4:1 all the way through.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 19
RE: RE: - 23/4/2012 3:36:10 PM   
Discodez

So that's how they do it!

I always wondered why when watching IMAX scenes on a TV that the image seems to look narrower (despite the fact the negative it is in fact wider)... Now I know.

< Message edited by Discodez -- 23/4/2012 3:42:17 PM >

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 20
RE: RE: - 23/4/2012 4:17:00 PM   
NeilIsKing

quote:

ORIGINAL: pog

There is an IMAX in Antrim, at the Junction One complex near the airport, this is where I'll be seeing it

Omnimaxx in Antrim Junction one is a BIG screen  - not IMAX though.

They should re-open the IMAX in Belfast - its lying Idle FFS

Like a midget at a urinal I had to keep on my toes.

(in reply to pog)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 23/4/2012 7:57:10 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Are the Cineworld IMAXes not proper ones, then? Because the Cineworld at Sheffield has an IMAX and I was planning on seeing this there instead of trailing all the way to Bradford.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to NeilIsKing)
Post #: 22
RE: RE: - 24/4/2012 2:34:48 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

Are the Cineworld IMAXes not proper ones, then? Because the Cineworld at Sheffield has an IMAX and I was planning on seeing this there instead of trailing all the way to Bradford.

Nope, they are different, have a look at this thread....

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3289620

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> An Hour Of IMAX In Dark Knight Rises? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI