Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lockout - 20/4/2012 12:18:00 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Review - 20/4/2012 12:18:00 PM   
blindfold

Darn! Oh well.. But then again TAKEN was made by the same people and some fool rated that 1 star???

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Review - 20/4/2012 12:18:03 PM   
blindfold

Darn! Oh well.. But then again TAKEN was made by the same people and some fool rated that 1 star???

Post #: 3
RE: Review - 20/4/2012 1:50:52 PM   
Russ Whitfield

Maybe someone with more of an industry "in" than I have can tell me why "Escape from Earth" was made with Mike from Neighbours and not Snake Plissken. I can't see that Kurt Russell is too old for this shit after all, and it seems to me that this is, for all intents and purposes, what Carpenter was going to do for the third Snake Plissken movie. And Mike from Neighbours doesn't even have heroic 80s hair any more. How can you break into a prison facility to rescue someone without having heroic 80s hair?

This is a bit like bringing out a new movie called "The Executioner" starring Dwayne Johnson as a cyborg sent back in time to kill a woman who will give birth to a leader that will lead a revolution against humanity's machine overlords.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to blindfold)
Post #: 4
RE: Lockout - 20/4/2012 4:24:38 PM   
Sid_Ney

Just seen Lockout - leave brain in the foyer and enjoy the film.

Not made to be taken seriously - great to have Scottish villains in Space.

Will be a cult classic in the east end of Glasgow.

Post #: 5
- 21/4/2012 12:36:34 PM   
merryelf

I would probably give this a 3 1/2 star as I tend to rate them out of 10 (7 in this instance).
From seeing the trailers I knew what type of film this was going to be and as long as you're in the right mood for it this film was really quite good.
The leading characters played well together and some truly amusing lines and situations.
The effects let it down a bit in places, especially the bike chase near the start, but the feel of the whole movie was good and I would definitely try to see it again.

Post #: 6
ACE! - 21/4/2012 4:12:32 PM   
J_BUltimatum

How Salmon Fishing can be given a better rating than this is beyond me! Despite some dodgy CGI at the start of this film, this is a great no-brainer with strong performances from all the cast. Highly enjoyable and definetly recomended!

Post #: 7
Just....nah! - 21/4/2012 7:10:07 PM   
alsybroth

In many ways Lockout is a throwback to those dime-a-dozen dystopian sci-fi flicks from the early 90's like Fortress, No Escape, Johnny Mneumonic and .....ugh, Super Mario Bros. Its crud, no doubt but Guy Pearce and his snarky quips manage to avoid it becoming a total dog.
The CGI effects though are just awful, especially the brief highway chase and the space/skyfall climax (which is truly dreadful to watch) it looks like it was all processed on someone's laptop.
Luc Besson has really become a 21st Century Roger Corman what with all these schlocky semi-European shoot-em-up B-movies. And Lockout is just gonna be another one of those. Disposable and only worth a rental if you REALLY have nothing better else to watch.

Post #: 8
RE: Just....nah! - 24/4/2012 7:57:14 PM   
musht

Enjoyed this, not as much as I thought I would but I wasn't massively disappointed. Guy Pearce was great and I enjoyed Gilgun's performance as well

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to alsybroth)
Post #: 9
RE: Just....nah! - 27/4/2012 1:22:59 AM   
nhassell

Saw it earlier. It was pretty crap.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 10
rockinng LOCK-OUT - 4/5/2012 10:58:14 PM   
bridges

a few minor problems but an overall sucess

Post #: 11
Lockout Review - 5/5/2012 4:21:46 PM   
the film man

Guy Pearce does the best he can with what he's given, but Lockout is ultimately too derivative and shallow to build on the many sci-fi thrillers it borrows from. It should have been more fun.

Post #: 12
RE: Lockout - 13/7/2012 7:00:04 AM   
Phubbs

Lockout

Hmmm dare I say a Die Hard clone in space? I don't wanna go there I really don't but I think I may have to slightly go there. 'Die Hard' with some continental Besson flare. That flare being evident in the rather short swish high speed bike chase sequence at the start that seems to be a curious blend of videogame and live action comicbook visuals. Either that or its just poor cgi, not sure, looked kinda neat though.

Of course its not exactly 'Die Hard' in space but once the action kicks in you do get that feeling from time to time. Prison in space ('Fortress 2') with lots of naughty spawns all in hibernation. Presidents daughter goes there to see if all the prisoners are being treated well (typical PC goodie goodie), prisoners get loose (didn't see that coming), take presidents daughter hostage so the suits send another freshly convicted badass to save the day.

That badass being Guy Pearce who does add to the 'Die Hard' theory with his snug fit t-shirt and continuous quick wit during the most awkward moments. You do get the impression he's trying his best cocky smart ass Willis routine and while a few lines are sweet it gets dull fast.

From here on the action is violent and brutal with lots of big bald men fighting each other and running amok with guns. For some reason the leaders of this convict outbreak are two Scottish brothers, I got the impression they really wanted Gerard Butler for the lead bad guy seeing as the guy they have (Regan) is a dead ringer for him. If you like brutal Scottish lunatics portrayed by fellow countrymen of England and Wales then behold the glory before thee.

So the plot is completely flat out unoriginal but the look of the sets and space sequences are impressive. Everything does look realistic, not an overblown future with silly laser guns. The sets are of cold steel designs in various tones of blue and grey, add to this the nice lighting and shadow work to really give the place an epic gloss that is slick and ultra cool. I expect nothing less than quality from Besson with action and this film does deliver exactly that with some great visuals, mainly in space.

Its a good smack in the mouth film with lots of aggression which obviously you can't take seriously. Thusly small issues of how the prisoners manage to overcome hibernation so quickly after being released, Pearce's character giving Grace's character a quick trendy haircut so she can fit in with the general population of psycho's without them noticing she's a woman (yeah right!), the end sequence plummet and can gun turrets fire bullets in outer space/orbit?....you must overlook all.

Problem is at the end of the day its just a run of the mill action flick in space with a little bit of brains around the edge. It looks good and that's its trump card, a solid action flick and expensive looking B-movie.

Post #: 13
RE: Lockout - 22/7/2012 11:35:00 AM   
buffster28

really enjoyed this film - just a good dumb action movie.

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 14
RE: Lockout - 23/7/2012 8:42:00 AM   
NCC1701A

An enjoyable action film. 4/5

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to buffster28)
Post #: 15
RE: Lockout - 25/7/2012 9:06:23 PM   
drews

Guy Pearce is excellent in this. Hopefully he'll do more action in the leading role.

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Lockout Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI