Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVENGERS ASSEMBLE

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVENGERS ASSEMBLE Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVENGERS ASSEMBLE - 4/5/2012 5:52:03 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

The lack of love for The Hulk in this thread makes me sad .

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 241
Wonderful, wonderful stuff... - 4/5/2012 6:46:25 PM   
Jim Bob

...loved it from start to finish, with Ruffalo's Hulk being the show stopper. I also thought Hiddleston was absolutely outstanding as the very memorable Loki. Can't wait to go and see it again.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 242
Wonderful, wonderful stuff... - 4/5/2012 6:46:30 PM   
Jim Bob

...loved it from start to finish, with Ruffalo's Hulk being the show stopper. I also thought Hiddleston was absolutely outstanding as the very memorable Loki. Can't wait to go and see it again.

Post #: 243
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 4/5/2012 7:15:44 PM   
Rich Empire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Yeah, Cap was awesome too. I actually think most of them were. Black Widow was even tolerable.

Black Widow was awesome! They all were in my opinion.
Kudos to Joss Whedon for injecting the plot with a strong female character and Ms. Johannsson for capitalising on the opportunity.

The Dude abides...

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 244
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 4/5/2012 11:31:19 PM   
horribleives

I enjoyed this but the action scenes didn't half go on forever. The last sequence in particular (and the earlier one on the aircraft carrier/invisible plane thing) got bloody tedious bloody quick, which is a shame as the shorter, snappier bits (Thor, Cap and Iron Man in the woods, the initial dust-up between the Hulk and Black Widow) were great.
Still, the character stuff, interaction and dialogue were spot on so that more than made up for the dullness of the finale. And the Hulk was fucking awesome - easily the most satisfying-looking screen incarnation yet (well, apart from Lou, obviously).

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Rich Empire)
Post #: 245
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 5/5/2012 12:51:03 AM   
the anomaly

Cap: "... and Hulk ... smash!"

and it was done.

Nothings perfect. I could pick the film apart and criticize certain areas ... but for now ... the fact that I had a big fat grin on my face for the majority of the film says it all. They hit the mark. Marvel have been building to this moment with each film prior. Whilst they all have their flaws they have without doubt helped this to soar ever higher. Bravo Marvel and all the talent involved. It's my Marvel action marathon from my childhood and everyone was just buzzing in the cinema for the whole nine yards.I think they've done well to capture what makes these characters and this world so appealing and have brought it to a wider audience whilst keeping the fans happy.

Even as a comic book fan I can find the sci-fi elements, team ups, magic ... all mixed into one ... can get a bit hokey, bogged down, convoluted etc and I think they've pulled it off well. Namely in Thor which I had many reservations about previously. Everything comes to pass here and it worked well.

ENDING TEASER SPOILERS

Regarding a second film and the teaser ... I'm probably not as well versed as others on the comics but the implied villain, wouldn't the invasion be more of the same? I know Thanos is uber strong and could lead the army better. But long story short I think an invasion with a twist like the Krell would be more interesting with the fallout of doppelgangers and destruction leading onto something like civil war. Obviously you'd have to scale this down but I like their ideas/themes as an interesting direction to take the team to.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 246
- 5/5/2012 2:53:01 AM   
mojoe8

I walked out half-way through. I wanted to like it, but I just got so bored. Am I strange for wanting a decent story? So much stuff happened, but I didn't care about any of the characters. It was insubstantial and nonsensical. I regret seeing this.

Post #: 247
- 5/5/2012 2:53:09 AM   
mojoe8

I walked out half-way through. I wanted to like it, but I just got so bored. Am I strange for wanting a decent story? So much stuff happened, but I didn't care about any of the characters. It was insubstantial and nonsensical. I regret seeing this.

Post #: 248
- 5/5/2012 2:53:13 AM   
mojoe8

Post #: 249
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 5/5/2012 12:06:12 PM   
SWOTBM

Saw this last night and I was very impressed.  I had only watched a few trailers as I didn't want to get my hopes up too much, but it more than met my expectations.  The benefit of each character having their own film is that there was little/no time spent introducing them and we didn't have a massive amount of time explaining the villain's motive either.  Linked to that, I don't get the criticism of Loki's army being bland cannon fodder- surely that was the whole point?  If you start introducing them and giving them backstory you either have to make the film longer or cut out some of the existing material.  I didn't have a problem with them tbh. 

All the characters were interesting and I was particularly surprised by how well they managed to balance the screen time of all the characters (I thought there might be a focus on Iron Man, which would have been no bad thing, but it would have undermined the whole superhero team idea).  Mark Ruffalo was a very convincing Dr. Banner and it was awesome to see the Hulk let loose on Loki's army- I always felt like the producers had to hold back when he is fighting the army/airforce because of age-rating issues. 
Marvel should definitely lock-down Joss Whedon for the next couple of pictures, he should get much more control

I watched it in 3D and whilst I'm not the biggest fan of the medium (wearing glasses over glasses is not cool ) it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I'm gonna see it in normal 2D next week and hopefully the action sequences should be much clearer.

SPOILERS FOR THE END CREDITS:

So Thanos eh?    Infinity Gauntlet is the obvious idea, but I really hope they go for Annihilation.  They could easily set that up by having Thor travel space and come across all the races- Kree/Skrull etc.  Only problem is it kinda turns it more into an out-and-out sci-fi film, which may limit its mass market appeal. 

Solid 4/5, maybe even a 4.5/5 once I see it in 2D. 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 250
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 5/5/2012 12:57:36 PM   
Harry Tuttle

MILD SPOILERS

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly
But long story short I think an invasion with a twist like the Krell would be more interesting with the fallout of doppelgangers and destruction leading onto something like civil war.

I assume you're talking about the Skrull here. As far as I know Fox own the rights to them through The Fantastic Four. The Chitauri are pretty much their counterparts from the Ultimates universe and it doesn't seem that they have the shape shifting ability in the film that they do in the comics.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 251
RE: - 5/5/2012 2:12:21 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: mojoe8

Odd.

Seeing as you walked out, there really isn't a whole lot to regret.

Unless of course the thing about you walking out isn't strictly true.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to mojoe8)
Post #: 252
RE: RE: - 5/5/2012 3:22:37 PM   
sanchia

Just back from seeing the film and what an enjoyable film it was. It was nice that they did not go straight for all out action with no character development and at the same time surprising just how much character development was provided. If there was a loser it was Thor who had not a lot to do other than stand around and look pretty. Some nice, amusing dialogue and good effects (although the IMAX 3D let it down a few time). The action finale which took up the entire third of the film was highly entertaining, Some flaws were definitely evident (big head Captain America costume being one which explains why he spent so much of the film with the top down).

Overall very enjoyable and far more successful than I thought it would be.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 253
- 5/5/2012 4:41:04 PM   
gurnblenston

good. but no dark knight.

Post #: 254
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 5/5/2012 5:04:52 PM   
the anomaly

ENDING SPOILERS

quote:

MILD SPOILERS

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly
But long story short I think an invasion with a twist like the Krell would be more interesting with the fallout of doppelgangers and destruction leading onto something like civil war.

I assume you're talking about the Skrull here. As far as I know Fox own the rights to them through The Fantastic Four. The Chitauri are pretty much their counterparts from the Ultimates universe and it doesn't seem that they have the shape shifting ability in the film that they do in the comics.

Cheers, I was indeed referring to the Skrull.

Shame about Fox possibly owning the rights. Again due to factors such as this it's great to actually have the film made at all!

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM
I don't get the criticism of Loki's army being bland cannon fodder- surely that was the whole point? If you start introducing them and giving them backstory you either have to make the film longer or cut out some of the existing material. I didn't have a problem with them tbh.

SPOILERS

I'd agree there. Loki was the threat and I thought he was a good villain. Glad he managed to deal some serious blows to the team early on and he truly felt like a threat along with his army. I was worried at the start that he was going to be too hands on but Loki is a trickster and manipulator and they got that down perfectly. The invasion was just that an unexpected attack from another dimension. Besides if they are bringing Thanos into this they could build upon what we know about them in a sequel.

Though I'll be honest my main criticism of the film is with the battle. There are six avengers on the ground ... against a horde of aliens. The battle would have been a bit more convincing with some army/shield troops on the ground. Which would have given Cap more a chance to shine again as he could have led the troops tactically. I know you get this scene with the cops but you wonder how the horde of aliens didn't just overwhelm Cap, Hawk Eye and Black Widow who are all awesome but aren't Hulks!

Going back to Cap I hope he get's another film. He takes charge latter in the film but it was clear throughout he was still adjusting to the world ... let alone the insane events of the film. Still it's interesting to see that he has his flaws and he isn't perfect. Which they captured in each character.

The scene where they all argue in the lab, am I the only one who felt that it wasn't just Loki's manipulation that led to it. Well in fact I thought it was his direct manipulation. I thought the staff was affecting them as whilst the argument was heated everyone started to get a bit too honest and raw. With Thor saying "you people are pathetic ... and tiny" and Banner admitting "I got low and put a bullet in my mouth, the other guy spat it out" ... just seemed a bit to raw for even a heated argument.

Of the shield band ... I'll miss Phil! Thought he was cool and was cracking up at him gushing over Captain America. The only negative again I think Cap could have done with another film just to bring his star status up more.

Post #: 255
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 5/5/2012 6:24:06 PM   
sanchia

One thing about this film they definitely got right is the fighting style of Captain America. In yhis own film he wasn't much more than a bloke who hit and kicked harder than normal but with no style to it. In this film he is far more gymnastic which is more how I envisaged the character to be.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 256
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 5/5/2012 9:02:36 PM   
Bluedevils

Went in hoping it wouldn't challenge TDKR for comic book movie of the year but left thinking it will certainly give it a good run for it's money!

Really enjoyed it. Far more than I did the individual character movie's that have set it up. Out of those only Thor really made a hit with me. The Hulk / Banner is fantastic and provided one of the most unexpected laugh out loud moments in film.

Did not stay to see the post credits teaser though as my nephew needed a wee.... bugger!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 257
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 5/5/2012 9:18:44 PM   
warren7355

This film had me grinning from ear to ear the entire way through. Funny, witty, good action, and just overall so damn enjoyable, I think that The Dark Knight Rises (whilst a different 'knd' of superhero film') really does have its work cut out for it to better this.

Standout moments. Hmm, pretty much anything with the Hulk in it! I was worried he'd be my least favourite character, but he was used perfectly, and the scene with Loki was one of the funniest scenes I have EVER witnessed.

(in reply to Bluedevils)
Post #: 258
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 5/5/2012 9:35:21 PM   
kumar

The Hulk was awesome

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to warren7355)
Post #: 259
RE: Avengers Assemble - 6/5/2012 7:55:32 AM   
Sutty

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Enjoyed the film a lot. I thought the 2hrs 22mins flew by. Whedon did fantastically well to give each character enough to do and not convolute everything. Someone mentioned that it would have been good to of had some S.H.I.E.L.D agents in amongst it in the final battle, so that Captain America could show off more of his tactical and leadership skills. I agree. It would have made it all the bigger, more epic.

Wasn't completely sure about the use of The Tesseract/Cosmic Cubic. It seemed to be a bit of a catch all and had a multitude of potential uses. From limitless power to creating intergalactic corridors. Basically it is a bit of a rip off of The Cosmic Key from Masters of the Universe.

And Loki's staff. Was the blue orb a small piece of the cube? Or something else?
I did like the scene where The Avengers were arguing amongst themselves on the ship. From the camera shots etc I presume that the staff was having some sort of negative effect on them. Like the mood slime in Ghostbusters 2...

And didn't anyone else think that Iron Mans destroying of the portal with the nuke was a bit... Independance Day? I was waiting for ol' Shellhead to shout "Hey boys, I'm baaacckkk!!"

But overall a very entertaining movie that did not disappoint. And like most others have mentioned, I think special mention should go out to Mark Ruffalo who gave the best interpretation of Banner since the late great Bill Bixby. And it was great to see Scarlet Johannsons Black Widow given such a prominent role.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

Post #: 260
Pleasantly surprised - 6/5/2012 2:32:33 PM   
mancalledpete

Was at a loose end so this one filled some time. What I didn't expect was for it to work but it did. Good solid popcorn movie. A couple of observations (IMHO): 1) Robert Downy Junior stole the film. 2) Black Widow & Hawkeye got way way way too much screen time and storyline given that they are arguably the weaker of the characters (not the performances!) and the bad-guys (with the exception of Loki) were pretty dull and throw-away.

Post #: 261
One thing I forget... - 6/5/2012 2:35:13 PM   
mancalledpete

...somebody really needs to explain to me how the Hulk went from totally stupid and essentially a sort of bad guy to working as part of the team... that bit totally passed me by. Seemingly no explanation given for him becoming friendly & intelligent. Big plot hole.

Post #: 262
best movie this year? best comic book movie ever! - 6/5/2012 2:58:35 PM   
jeffamania

Guys - I'm really looking forward to the Dark Knight Rises too, but lets give honour where its due! This movie is a 5 star!!!!!! not a 3 or a 4.............its a solid 5! Its the best comic book movie ever as least until the DKR comes out later this year or Man of Steel next year, definitely the best for laughs and action. Its a also a great story although it took another 4 prequel movies to get here...hence why the story may not feel that compelling. Weadon passed with flying colours on a massive task of seamlessly bringing together an essemble cast of leading men, strong action heroes and 3 movies together. I was just expecting a 'good' movie, but instead I got a great movie! Best movie I have seen this year....I was scared, laughing, clapping, whopping and wanting more...............

Post #: 263
RE: Avengers Assemble - 6/5/2012 5:58:56 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Wasn't completely sure about the use of The Tesseract/Cosmic Cubic. It seemed to be a bit of a catch all and had a multitude of potential uses. From limitless power to creating intergalactic corridors. Basically it is a bit of a rip off of The Cosmic Key from Masters of the Universe.

Nerd hat applied.

Actually the Cosmic Cube was a Marvel plot device which first made an appearance in 1969. So Masters of the Universe ripped that bit off.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 264
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 6/5/2012 6:21:51 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bluedevils

Went in hoping it wouldn't challenge TDKR for comic book movie of the year but left thinking it will certainly give it a good run for it's money!

Wait, what?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Bluedevils)
Post #: 265
RE: Avengers Assemble - 6/5/2012 8:11:11 PM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Nerd hat applied.

Actually the Cosmic Cube was a Marvel plot device which first made an appearance in 1969. So Masters of the Universe ripped that bit off.

You ARE a nerd! Knowing the year and everything. You're SOOOO cool! lol.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 266
RE: Avengers Assemble - 6/5/2012 8:17:24 PM   
jrewing1000

Loved it. Well aware of its flaws but they are easily ignored with a film this much fun. I wasn't expecting the amount of comedy included, particularly loved the Iron Man banter, and all the gags surrounding Hulk. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised how entertaining and well conceived the whole 'Hulk' thread was. I'd go far as to say Hulk was the best thing about the movie, how he was treated / feared by everyone, and the sheer joy of watching his uncontrolled rage pull everything apart.

I'd agree that the story was a bit weak, and the baddies were fairly unremarkable, even though Loki was quite sneery and unpleasant. He was a bit restrained. There just wasn't any terror so I never felt really scared for anyone.

Didn't care though, this film seemed to be more about how these heroes come together and how they deal with each other's presence, and unite.

Laid a great foundation for the inevitable sequels that will follow (anyone spot the teaser at the end?). Hopefully they will up the jeapardy enough to make us feel like these incredibly powerful heroes could actually fail.

Anyone know if Spiderman might make an appearance?

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 267
RE: Avengers Assemble - 6/5/2012 8:40:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

Not a chance while Sony Pictures still own the rights.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 268
RE: Avengers Assemble - 6/5/2012 9:02:40 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

Not a chance while Sony Pictures still own the rights.

And especially not if the new film is a hit.

Marvel should buy the rights of Fantastic Four back from Fox. So, maybe they could do this- Click

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 6/5/2012 9:03:50 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 269
RE: Avengers Assemble - 7/5/2012 12:11:59 PM   
Ref

Caps and Johnny Storm in the same film?? Johnny would be questioning his parentage.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVENGERS ASSEMBLE Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI